• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Celebrating 20 Years of the YET-AY!

Vince would end up paying The Big show like twice as much as he would have paid Bret.

Bret and Austin also never have a real payoff match. The first match is one by a sneaky rollup, the second by passing out.
Wasn't Show's contract 1 million bucks? I remember reading many years back that Vonce signed those big man to million buck or almost one million dollar contracts. Kane, Show, Henry, and Taker to be exact.

And the same with HBK and Austin we never got to see that rematch because Shawn went out. Even though he was only supposed to be out for maybe 8 months but he had fallen so under due to drugs he needed help.

Just think of all of the people who could have flourished in the past 6-7 years had Cena taken a sabbatical.
Punk would still be here right now. Rusev would've been better off. Same with Bray.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
To be fair though HBK is basically just a Bret substitute as far as Austin is concerned. That would have been the main event of WM 14 under different circumstances. It is amusing that HBK's comeback basically begins right as Austin retires though.

Cena had nothing to do with Punk leaving.

If he had main evented just one PPV that didn't have Cena or Rock facing him, he probably stays. One of his big things (deservedly) was that they gave him the belt but never treated him like the guy. Meanwhile Seth is the guy, looks shittier than any champ in recent memory, and has main evented more PPVs than Punk ever did, and is doing so in a much shorter reign

If he had main evented just one PPV that didn't have Cena or Rock facing him, he probably stays. One of his big things (deservedly) was that they gave him the belt but never treated him like the guy. Meanwhile Seth is the guy, looks shittier than any champ in recent memory, and has main evented more PPVs than Punk ever did, and is doing so in a much shorter reign

I'm sure Seth is much more pleasant to deal with, though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bret is treated like Punk was his entire career. He is often in the sub main event of shows and the part timers don't even want to face him!

847.jpg

Does this mean that all other games are LiS' bitches?

Fucking lol

set to Last Resort by Papa Roach, mind

And it's a long ass one take of savagery. SUFFOCATION *kick* NO BREATHIN'

You're an awesome poet, BronsonLee. Never change :)

Screw it, between you, Aii and Sunny, I'll just download it now.

Welcome to the club, boss! Don't marathon it, though. This shit hurts.

Fantastic goddamned movie, prepare for a fun ride.

No Beef goddamnit

I'm sure Seth is much more pleasant to deal with, though.

IDK. One's an asshole if you step over any boundary, the other is an asshole who has no boundaries and likes shitty music and Nazis. I like Punk and still won't say he's a surefire W: if you want fun and pleasant I don't think you deal with either.

Cena had nothing to do with Punk leaving.
The fact that Cena and Rock overshadowed Punk and his title reign, it contributed from a fan stand point.

Also when Rusev lost to Cena it basically tarnished hia dominance. If Rusev would've qon at Mania at least, it would've been fine.

And Bray needed the win against Cena.

Punk's reign wasn't that good but it's better than Bryan's or Seth's. In fact, Punk's reign was probably the last memorable one, and that says a lot.

He's your fucking champion, he should be the main event and treated like it. He was treated like a mid card superstar at best and the WWE Title was as well.

It happens. Just look at Jericho/Triple H, or the two Wrestlemanias with Shawn/Undertaker. I'm not saying it's *right*, but it happens.

Recall

The sad reality of a mid-card champion like Punk.

All non Cena & HHH champions since 2005 have been booked this way. All of them.

Name me two well booked and superstar made champions?

WWE doesn't know how to book it simply waits for something to happen and then reacts. Daniel Bryan got over, give him the belt and then made sure he knew his place.

The sad reality of a mid-card champion like Punk.

WWE doesn't know how to book it simply waits for something to happen and then reacts. Daniel Bryan got over, give him the belt and then made sure he knew his place.
Sad but true.

Well Edge and Taker(duh) were booked well imo. Sure Edge had downfalls to some but he was he good to me.

Verendus

Banned

Batista, Edge, and Orton, who had plenty of time at the top of the card while facing Triple H, Batista, and Cena. Jeff Hardy and CM Punk in 2009 (before Jeff got high, and CM Punk was emasculated by Undertaker).

Who was CM Punk even facing during the most boring reign of the last ten years? Sheamus? Alberto Del Rio? The Miz? I'm asking because that sounds so terrible, you may as well just leave Cena at the top of the card.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I've reached the point where I miss Punk more than Bryan
I don't even miss Bryan. I'll barely care even if he does come back. Unless he goes back to his WHC run character, which is doubtful. But the day Punk's music hits one more time I'll go fucking nuts. There is no return that could make me more excited than Punk. It would be Lesnar return level hype for me.

Recall

Batista, Edge, and Orton, who Orton who had plenty of time at the top of the card while facing Triple H, Batista, and Cena. Jeff Hardy and CM Punk in 2009 (before Jeff got high, and CM Punk was emasculated by Undertaker).

Who was CM Punk even facing during the most boring reign of the last ten years? Sheamus? Alberto Del Rio? The Miz? I'm asking because that sounds so terrible, you may as well just leave Cena at the top of the card.

Orton has never had a title reign where he displayed dominance, his titles reigns have all played second fiddle to the main stories at the time.

Jack Swagger, Dolph Ziggler and The Miz are former world champions yet are barely worth their mid card spot they hold.

WWE simply doesn't know how to book.

Austin was proof that if Vince would have had his way Austin would have been the ringmaster and gone as quick as he arrived. Austin made himself a star to then force their hand at booking him well but WWE sure as hell loves making hurdles.

I don't even miss Bryan. I'll barely care even if he does come back. Unless he goes back to his WHC run character, which is doubtful. But the day Punk's music hits one more time I'll go fucking nuts. There is no return that could make me more excited than Punk. It would be Lesnar return level hype for me.

Well that's the difference between Bryan and Punk. One's happy just to be there, and there other won't even be there unless he's an important role, and even then he'd still probably be unhappy. As much as I disagree with Punk on things he at least knows his value and won't let his stock drop like Bryan has allowed.

If Bryan were to be cleared it would actually make sense for him to turn heel and focus on submissions or whatever to do away with his flashy babyface moveset.

Orton has never had a title reign where he displayed dominance, his titles reigns have all played second fiddle to the main stories at the time.

Jack Swagger, Dolph Ziggler and The Miz are former world champions yet are barely worth their mid card spot they hold.

Austin was proof that if Vince would have had his way Austin would have been the ringmaster and gone as quick as he arrived. Austin made himself a star to then force their hand at booking him well but WWE sure as hell loves making hurdles.
I don't even consider Dolph a champion lol.

But Miz should fucking be in the title picture his improvement and mic skills alone means a lot. Guy is a beast. If Hunter didn't have as much pull, Miz would be still in the picture. He was Vince's last best project.

klonere

Banned
I don't even consider Dolph a champion lol.

But Miz should fucking be in the title picture his improvement and mic skills alone means a lot. Guy is a beast. If Hunter didn't have as much pull, Miz would be still in the picture. He was Vince's last best project.

Considering everybody is doing dives nowadays its probably better that Miz isn't around all that much in ring.

Or they could stop everyone doing stupid fucking dives

UberTag

There's no mystique around D.Brine because, if he does ever come back, he'll be a mid-card enhancement talent face and little else. There's nowhere for him to go and he'll be reduced to bland, humble "thank the fans for everything" YES chant guy that puts everyone over. We won't see any of the compelling characters Bryan rolled out early on in his WWE stint. The only good thing about Bryan is that he'll help build up other guys and make them look like a million bucks like he did for Roman earlier this year. He'll be a better version of what Chris Jericho is now. And that's it. And anyone he helps build would just get fed to Cena or Brock or Roman so who cares.

Whereas Punk has tons of mystique because he's such a huge drama queen. Thing about him is that he's not coming back unless he flops in UFC and Triple H rolls out a big huge apology cake topped with a main event Mania match for an opponent of Punk's choosing and a healthy dose of ass kissing to go along with it. And even then Punk would probably say no unless the Blackhawks are having a shitty season.

Verendus

Banned

I'm pretty sure Orton's first three WWE title reigns were the main stories on the show. From 2007 until he dropped it to Triple H in 2008. And in 2009 where he first dropped it Batista, then got it back, and dropped it to Cena. So that's not true. He had a good run. He's a heel though, so I'm not sure why you expect him to display dominance.

Swagger and Ziggler are both terrible, so they never should have been champions. A symptom of this roster being so worthless that they were throwing the titles on whoever as their bigger stars slowly left. And The Miz, while he did as good as he could've at the time, never should've held the title either. You can't turn crap into gold. Booking can only enhance what's there, and WWE really didn't have much there after 2010.

WWE's booking is pretty terrible these days, and I don't disagree with that, but Punk being in the mid-card is probably thanks to the fact that he simply wasn't big enough to rise above it. He was a champion amongst a bunch of mid-carders, so that's where he ended up. But then, part of the reason why he ever managed to get that big in the first place is because those were the same people who were his competition.

Menome

Any recommendations for a CM Punk match or two to watch? So far he's currently a massive blank spot in my knowledge of recent years.

Bronx-Man

Banned
It feels weird looking back on 2010/2011 and realizing that the fucking Miz of all people looked more credible during his world title reign than Seth has.

Imagine how fire a Miz vs Punk feud would be.

The promos. THE PROMOS.
Dude, I booked that shit in my head.

I think I even typed it out. Or no it was something else I typed up.

But the microphone skills would be rock v. Austin pt.2 Almost.

Punk would attack Miz for somehow being in the main event yet he never has and Miz would rub it in his face, legendary

Btw what do you mean dive?

klonere

Banned
Dude, I booked that shit in my head.

I think I even typed it out. Or no it was something else I typed up.

But the microphone skills would be rock v. Austin pt.2 Almost.

Punk would attack Miz for somehow being in the main event yet he never has and Miz would rub it in his face, legendary

Btw what do you mean dive?

I'm with you buddy. Shame it'll never happen.

This is a dive:

9RARq.gif

There's no mystique around D.Brine because, if he does ever come back, he'll be a mid-card enhancement talent face and little else. There's nowhere for him to go and he'll be reduced to bland, humble "thank the fans for everything" YES chant guy that puts everyone over. We won't see any of the compelling characters Bryan rolled out early on in his WWE stint. The only good thing about Bryan is that he'll help build up other guys and make them look like a million bucks like he did for Roman earlier this year. He'll be a better version of what Chris Jericho is now. And that's it. And anyone he helps build would just get fed to Cena or Brock or Roman so who cares.

Whereas Punk has tons of mystique because he's such a huge drama queen. Thing about him is that he's not coming back unless he flops in UFC and Triple H rolls out a big huge apology cake topped with a main event Mania match for an opponent of Punk's choosing and a healthy dose of ass kissing to go along with it. And even then Punk would probably say no unless the Blackhawks are having a shitty season.

Well said. That's why when I start thinking about Bryan coming back I always end up thinking it's better off that he doesn't. It's better that his career is a "What could have been?" as opposed to what we'd surely get, which is exactly what you said.

Recall

I'm pretty sure Orton's first three WWE title reigns were the main stories on the show. From 2007 until he dropped it to Triple H in 2008. And in 2009 where he first dropped it Batista, then got it back, and dropped it to Cena. So that's not true. He had a good run. He's a heel though, so I'm not sure why you expect him to display dominance.

Being a heel doesn't mean you have to be a giant pussy though especially if you've got the strap that is supposed to indicate that you're the best of the best. I'm very sure Orton's reigns were over shadowed to the annoyance of many at the time but I could be wrong, maybe I'm not remembering clearly.

Top Bottom