• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Celebrating 20 Years of the YET-AY!

What....what is this?! it's like one of those old SD1 and 2 entrances in front on the video graphic as he hovers out amongst the crowd there.

H1UHT0e.gif

I'm more concerned about that wobbling he does at the end of the video.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Cancelled my WWE2k16 preorder. Apparently you can't do title matches in Universe mode. Interference as well although someone is saying they might have found a workaround.

How the fuck do you not have title matches.

Will wait for Black Friday.

I always knew you were soft, FE.

Mahonay

Banned
That one I can understand and forgive because of the chance that it would've been a return to form. Nobody knew the game was going to be a pile until footage started coming out a couple days before.
Lol what. Tony Hawk 5 looked suspect from the word go.

The developer, Robomodo, had already mad 3 bad Tony Hawk games leading up to it. They even severely fucked up trying to remake Tony Hawk 1. If you expected THPS5 to actually be a full fledged Tony Hawk game you were really fooling yourself.

With that said, I'd buy WWE 2K16 before I'd buy THPS5.

It was like how nobody knew Jimmy King was going to get shooted on by sleazy Sinclair and lose the title.

It was the greatest travesty in the history of professional wrestling, but Jimmy King is coming back tonight at Hell in a Cell to take the U.S. Title off John Cena.

"This is America, I can beat up anyone I want." - Jimmy King, U.S. Champion.

Lol what. Tony Hawk 5 looked suspect from the word go.

The developer, Robomodo, had already mad 3 bad Tony Hawk games leading up to it. They even severely fucked up trying to remake Tony Hawk 1. If you expected THPS5 to actually be a full fledged Tony Hawk game you were really fooling yourself.

With that said, I'd buy WWE 2K16 before I'd buy THPS5.

Everyone on GAF has a boner for mad grafix and digital foundry horseshit so they just assumed the game was bad, but I was actually expecting something from the gameplay. :(

Mahonay

Banned
Everyone on GAF has a boner for mad grafix and digital foundry horseshit so they just assumed the game was bad, but I was actually expecting something from the gameplay. :(
It looked like a mobile game in motion.

The quality level wasn't there. Great gameplay wasn't going to be magically birthed from that.

Recall

Fuck graphics. Fuck frame rate and resolution and all that shit. How the game plays (controls, mechanics, systems, gameplay loop etc) and is it fun or not should be the judging stick not the obsession with frame rate and 1080p.

It's like saying a Triple H match was awesome or not depending on how wet his hair was. It's superficial bullshit.

Mahonay

Banned
Fuck graphics. Fuck frame rate and resolution and all that shit. How the game plays (controls, mechanics, systems, gameplay loop etc) and is it fun or not should be the judging stick not the obsession with frame rate and 1080p.

It's like saying a Triple H match was awesome or not depending on how wet his hair was. It's superficial bullshit.
But I like wet hair.

If a game doesn't play well who cares if it looks good. I think that goes with out saying. Sort of like WWE 2K...

That one I can understand and forgive because of the chance that it would've been a return to form. Nobody knew the game was going to be a pile until footage started coming out a couple days before.

I dunno, THPS5 looked sorta sketchy from the jump - at least graphically.

What was the last really good Tony Hawk game? Underground 2?

klonere

Banned

Yeah but with the Yukes wrestling games, its competitors and indeed, sister products are some of the best looking games out there, especially the NBA 2K series.

Whereas Yukes are still struggling to get the game looking marginally better than a late era third party PS3 game. The gap is so big between it and other games it is worthy of commenting upon.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I never expected THPS 5 to be good. Robomodo are a shmuck shit tier developer from the start and anyone who blames the publisher for that game being bad is proof that the Gaf simple minded mo of 'Publishers bad Devs good so i can sleep better at night and i'm totally better than Gamefaqs users' is what it is, bullshit.

But I've followed skateboarding for the last 10 years and HD was a huge floppy disappointment, but I got some play time out of it.

THPS 5 makes THPS HD look like THPS 3

Mahonay

Banned
Yeah but with the Yukes wrestling games, its competitors and indeed, sister products are some of the best looking games out there, especially the NBA 2K series.

Whereas Yukes are still struggling to get the game looking marginally better than a late era third party PS3 game. The gap is so big between it and other games it is worthy of commenting upon.
If the animations were on the level of the NBA 2K gMes I think WWE 2K wouldn't be so poor looking in some situations. The animations in these games is the thing that's most jarring to me.

If modern WWE games want to be shitty simulation games that somehow manage to not resemble a wrestling match, then their shitty graphics are going to be called out on.

Mahonay

Banned
I never expected THPS 5 to be good. Robomodo are a shmuck shit tier developer from the start and anyone who blames the publisher for that game being bad is proof that the Gaf simple minded mo of 'Publishers bad Devs good so i can sleep better at night and i'm totally better than Gamefaqs users' is what it is, bullshit.

But I've followed skateboarding for the last 10 years and HD was a huge floppy disappointment, but I got some play time out of it.

THPS 5 makes THPS HD look like THPS 3
Agreed.

So the question here is, why did you still drop 60 bucks on a game you were pretty sure of being bad before you got it? Just curiosity?

bjork

Why would he be motivated now? He knows WWE wants him, so he can phone it in like always, because apparently they need him and he doesn't need them.

You're making a lot of assumptions about a guy's character based on old info. People change. Kind of like how Jericho used to be entertaining.

Speaking of games, should I buy Undertale now or wait for a Steam sale?

Always wait for a steam sale.

Yall watch WWE weekly.

I don't want to hear word one about 'wise investments of your time and money'

I haven't watched weekly in probably a decade.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Agreed.

So the question here is, why did you still drop 60 bucks on a game you were pretty sure of being bad before you got it? Just curiosity?

It's one of the most important game series to my youth. It's like right behind GTA. I wanted to at least know.

Also I think I saved several people on this forum from buying the game. That's what I like to think. Graphics were never an issue, it could have looked like THPS 1 and I still wanted to make sure people didn't think 'well the graphics are shit but I bet it runs smooth' because it doesn't.

I do like that Robomodo did the Yukes community management bullshit of citing the old games when trying to win people over. Basically acknowleding that their shit is shit but you should still buy it.

2k16 has Stunnin' Steve, and I said if they got Stunnin' Steve, I'm in. They did, so I will be in.

bjork

Hey, if he shows up and lights the world on fire with his wrestling, I'm the last guy to denounce him

That's all I'm saying. I'd rather give the shot to something at least a little different that we haven't seen in awhile. As in, several years. Like if Haas Cena came out, I would check that clip out on YT.

Zach

Heels in WWE games should have way worse attributes or stats or whatever, but a bunch of cheat moves and shenanigans they can pull.

I mean, that's a bad idea, but if these games are going to suck anyway they might as well have some personality.

JavyOO7

That Roman Reigns 2K16 entrance has to be fake. Whoever said it looked like Smackdown 1 entrance is right on the money. Holy crap.

I would say the game needs a few years off so that Yukes/2K could fix the problems with the game, but I'm sure there's a contract somewhere saying 'if you license us, we want a game every year' kind of thing... so nobody wins. But even with that, if we don't look at the gameplay department, the game seems to make money. So WWE is probably happy with that... I guess...

That Roman Reigns 2K16 entrance has to be fake. Whoever said it looked like Smackdown 1 entrance is right on the money. Holy crap.

I would say the game needs a few years off so that Yukes/2K could fix the problems with the game, but I'm sure there's a contract somewhere saying 'if you license us, we want a game every year' kind of thing... so nobody wins. But even with that, if we don't look at the gameplay department, the game seems to make money. So WWE is probably happy with that... I guess...

Yukes is still doing this?

(It's sorta fitting that "Yukes" keeps getting corrected to "Yikes")

Heels in WWE games should have way worse attributes or stats or whatever, but a bunch of cheat moves and shenanigans they can pull.

I mean, that's a bad idea, but if these games are going to suck anyway they might as well have some personality.

This reminds me that the first SDvsRaw game had a heel or face meter depending on what you chose, heels filled it up with dirty moves and the like to unlock a super low blow while the faces built theirs up with taunts and high flying moves so they could basically get the wrestling game equivalent of a superstar.

Of course the main reason I remember this is due to a good ol' Yukes oversight, if a face interfered in your match they'd eventually just hang around outside the ring taunting and each time they activated their face special the game had to pause the action and cut to the now uninvolved wrestler making a grand pointing gesture to ensure you knew they'd activated super face mode.
As you may imagine, it was bloody annoying.

bjork

¡HarlequinPanic!;182897150 said:
let those among us who have never bought a crappy silent hill or final fantasy game in the hopes that it'd be like their better days cast the first stone

Last Bought

Silent Hill - 1
Final Fantasy - 12
Castlevania - Portrait of Ruin
Gran Turismo - 4
WWE Game - All-Stars
WWE Game not called All-Stars - the first one with Bret as a legend on PS2

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Though I do like seeing AAA games getting knocked for their bad controls then seeing Witcher 3 get a 10/10
KuGsj.gif

Also that new Small Soldiers is probably nearly as bad as THPS 5. And I bought that piece of shit. The first two were great! and it had He-Man!

Top Bottom