• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Celebrating 20 Years of the YET-AY!

Zach

This reminds me that the first SDvsRaw game had a heel or face meter depending on what you chose, heels filled it up with dirty moves and the like to unlock a super low blow while the faces built theirs up with taunts and high flying moves so they could basically get the wrestling game equivalent of a superstar.

Of course the main reason I remember this is due to a good ol' Yukes oversight, if a face interfered in your match they'd eventually just hang around outside the ring taunting and each time they activated their face special the game had to pause the action and cut to the now uninvolved wrestler making a grand pointing gesture to ensure you knew they'd activated super face mode.
As you may imagine, it was bloody annoying.

Haha... amazing.

Though I do like seeing AAA games getting knocked for their bad controls then seeing Witcher 3 get a 10/10
KuGsj.gif

Also that new Small Soldiers is probably nearly as bad as THPS 5. And I bought that piece of shit. The first two were great! and it had He-Man!

One to ten on Witcher 3, D. West?

Wrestling games had individual AI and different wrestling types/classes for a good while that Yukes just dropped. The AKI games had them. Fire Pro R had 16 different wrestler types for offense, 14 for defense, with 22 special skills. Even All Stars, with just 4 different wrestler classes, managed to make every wrestler feel unique.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
¡HarlequinPanic!;182897150 said:
let those among us who have never bought a crappy silent hill or final fantasy game in the hopes that it'd be like their better days cast the first stone
The only Final Fantasy that anyone should be playing right now is XIV. (◕‿◕✿)

This reminds me that the first SDvsRaw game had a heel or face meter depending on what you chose, heels filled it up with dirty moves and the like to unlock a super low blow while the faces built theirs up with taunts and high flying moves so they could basically get the wrestling game equivalent of a superstar.

Of course the main reason I remember this is due to a good ol' Yukes oversight, if a face interfered in your match they'd eventually just hang around outside the ring taunting and each time they activated their face special the game had to pause the action and cut to the now uninvolved wrestler making a grand pointing gesture to ensure you knew they'd activated super face mode.
As you may imagine, it was bloody annoying.
Dude we put so many hours in that fucking game then 2006 came along and wow!

MC Safety

That Roman Reigns 2K16 entrance has to be fake. Whoever said it looked like Smackdown 1 entrance is right on the money. Holy crap.

I would say the game needs a few years off so that Yukes/2K could fix the problems with the game, but I'm sure there's a contract somewhere saying 'if you license us, we want a game every year' kind of thing... so nobody wins. But even with that, if we don't look at the gameplay department, the game seems to make money. So WWE is probably happy with that... I guess...

It's probably real. That entrance is tough because I imagine there's no way to model different arenas with different crowds and Reigns plowing through all of them.

So it's a compromise.

Most of game development is a compromise.

Recall

I liked it when WWE games had music playing instead of commentary. The rope physics and audio of the current games are exceptionally odd, the series regressed in weird ways.

Zach

Am I the only one who doesn't like the phrase "so-and-so lost his/her battle with cancer"? It seems kinda harsh and unnecessary. Like you're calling that person a failure. Am I just being a touchy millennial?

Mahonay

Banned
It's one of the most important game series to my youth. It's like right behind GTA. I wanted to at least know.

Also I think I saved several people on this forum from buying the game. That's what I like to think. Graphics were never an issue, it could have looked like THPS 1 and I still wanted to make sure people didn't think 'well the graphics are shit but I bet it runs smooth' because it doesn't.

I do like that Robomodo did the Yukes community management bullshit of citing the old games when trying to win people over. Basically acknowleding that their shit is shit but you should still buy it.

2k16 has Stunnin' Steve, and I said if they got Stunnin' Steve, I'm in. They did, so I will be in.
He looks like old Steve Austin with long hair slapped on and animates like dog shit.

I do love me some Hollywood Blondes though.

bjork

They just need to make this but in a wrestling ring with specials and stuff. Like the old Wrestlemania game, but with way more shit to do and more than 8 guys total.

Am I the only one who doesn't like the phrase "so-and-so lost his/her battle with cancer"? It seems kinda harsh and unnecessary. Like you're calling that person a failure. Am I just being a touchy millennial?

Yes, because that term came about when people got mad at "dies of cancer"

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
One to ten on Witcher 3, D. West?

Probably like a 8 for the first 5 hours and then it goes on and on and the score gets lower. While the storyline and characters are well done and well acted, the game is so fucking unpleasant to play. From moving Geralt around in an attempt to loot something, to the busted mashy combat system, to fighting with the horse every time I use it, to navigating the painfully slow and poorly designed inventory.

I've played the recent Rockstar games for hundreds of hours and while their movement isn't perfect due to their overeliance on animation, I can deal with it and never have much of an issue except when I'm trying to do something VERY specific that I shouldn't be doing anyways. With Witcher, every attempt to loot a treasure chest feels like a fight. And it just drags everything down. The console ports are extremely spotty as well, the major city is unpleasant to the eyes at times due to constant 23 FPS.

It's strange to me that people complained about the Batmobile in AK, because the horse in Witcher 3 feels worse. It's strange to me that people complained about the combat in Syndicate because Witcher 3 feels worse.

It's got a strong story and characters(except for one character which is focal to the story and feels like the biggest mary sue in gaming history that no one seems to notice), but the more you play it the more you want to go 'man fuck this'. And if you wanted a good story, I'd say there's tons of games out this year with better, more cohesive ones that don't force you to deal with the pain of playing said game while trying to get through it.

There's a lot of content but it's not fun to play, which is like the worst possible thing. I'd call Mad Max the polar opposite where there's not as much content but it feels incredibly fun to play. I don't even know if Witcher 3 will be in my Top 10 by the end of the year tbh

Zach

Would you prefer "so and so put cancer over"?

Gotta keep cancer strong.

I don't know if that's the exact reason, but I remember seeing a shift some years ago to this lost battle term. I could be making it up entirely.

Oh, bjork, you rascal.

Every important person who's died in my life, other than my mom, was from cancer. I hate it.

Well if the phrase doesn't bother you, I guess it shouldn't bother me. Sorry to hear about your loved ones. May you live to be 100.

bjork

Well if the phrase doesn't bother you, I guess it shouldn't bother me. Sorry to hear about your loved ones. May you live to be 100.

Man I hope not. I was looking at a page about Halley's Comet and I'll be 84 the next time it rolls around. I'm hoping to cash out in about 12-13 years, if I'm being realistic.

Hmm, I'm minutes away from finally starting up Witcher 3 so I'm going to take Data's thoughts on board to prepare myself.
I tried 2 earlier this year and I just couldn't tolerate its jank nature to last more than three hours.

Dude we put so many hours in that fucking game then 2006 came along and wow!

2006 was really the last one I would genuinely praise as well.

Bronx-Man

Banned
In an age where you can read reviews and watch actual real-time gameplay videos in mere seconds, I have no idea how people still waste their money on awful video games.

"Cancer took him"

"Well call the police, put out an Amber Alert, we need to get him back home soon his dinner's getting cold!!"

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've never bought a Final Fantasy game. I might buy that 12 HD thing if it's real and 15.
In an age where you can read reviews and watch actual real-time gameplay videos in mere seconds, I have no idea how people still waste their money on awful video games.

Because most reviewers don't share the same tastes as me as previously established with The Witcher 3. Because a reviewer isn't going to be as interested in the Austin WCW stuff as I am because they might not care as much for it. Because you really can't tell how a game will be until you've played the final version - Sunset Overdrive is a perfect example of a game looking like a repetitive pointless shooter until I actually got to play it rather than watching someone else.

I have a surprise for you, type opponent tonight is Corporate Kane.

Wow Shane O Mc with that foreshadowing of what we'd see every night 17 years later.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I remember playing FF13 for a couple of hours and I thought to myself, "How the fuck could anyone like this series?" Then I got FF7 on PSOne Classics and I was like "Oh, that's why."

That Roman Reigns 2K16 entrance has to be fake. Whoever said it looked like Smackdown 1 entrance is right on the money. Holy crap.

I would say the game needs a few years off so that Yukes/2K could fix the problems with the game, but I'm sure there's a contract somewhere saying 'if you license us, we want a game every year' kind of thing... so nobody wins. But even with that, if we don't look at the gameplay department, the game seems to make money. So WWE is probably happy with that... I guess...

There was a story last year or the year before that the current game they were working on needed more work and they wanted to start releasing the games at around WrestleMania but WWE wouldn't have it.

Wrestling games had individual AI and different wrestling types/classes for a good while that Yukes just dropped. The AKI games had them. Fire Pro R had 16 different wrestler types for offense, 14 for defense, with 22 special skills. Even All Stars, with just 4 different wrestler classes, managed to make every wrestler feel unique.

It might've been basic but when it comes to Yuke's HCTP as flawed as it as in certain areas is the last and maybe only one I can think of that did that where AI controlled wrestlers resembled their real life counterparts, especially when it came to move sequences. It seems like ever since HCTP the game has just taken steps backwards with the AI especially in its aggressiveness.

Zach

Probably like a 8 for the first 5 hours and then it goes on and on and the score gets lower. While the storyline and characters are well done and well acted, the game is so fucking unpleasant to play. From moving Geralt around in an attempt to loot something, to the busted mashy combat system, to fighting with the horse every time I use it, to navigating the painfully slow and poorly designed inventory.

I've played the recent Rockstar games for hundreds of hours and while their movement isn't perfect due to their overeliance on animation, I can deal with it and never have much of an issue except when I'm trying to do something VERY specific that I shouldn't be doing anyways. With Witcher, every attempt to loot a treasure chest feels like a fight. And it just drags everything down. The console ports are extremely spotty as well, the major city is unpleasant to the eyes at times due to constant 23 FPS.

It's strange to me that people complained about the Batmobile in AK, because the horse in Witcher 3 feels worse. It's strange to me that people complained about the combat in Syndicate because Witcher 3 feels worse.

It's got a strong story and characters(except for one character which is focal to the story and feels like the biggest mary sue in gaming history that no one seems to notice), but the more you play it the more you want to go 'man fuck this'. And if you wanted a good story, I'd say there's tons of games out this year with better, more cohesive ones that don't force you to deal with the pain of playing said game while trying to get through it.

There's a lot of content but it's not fun to play, which is like the worst possible thing. I'd call Mad Max the polar opposite where there's not as much content but it feels incredibly fun to play. I don't even know if Witcher 3 will be in my Top 10 by the end of the year tbh

Off the Black Friday list! Thanks for writing that up.

klonere

Banned
I don't even think that one of my top 5 fav games of all time is a good game (Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines). I noclipped and console commanded myself through big portions of it.

Video games are strange.

kirblar

Watched the first proving ground ep. I wonder if they've cooled on Corbin internally- it's not really painting a great picture.

You guys should try the new movement they added to witcher 3. People really seem to like it. Alsothe combat is anything but mashy(except on lower difficulty)

Recall

Toukiden Kiwami is the best game I've played this year, no idea if it was a 2015 release here in the UK but I sure as hell put a few hundred hours into and enjoyed every one.

It might've been basic but when it comes to Yuke's HCTP as flawed as it as in certain areas is the last and maybe only one I can think of that did that where AI controlled wrestlers resembled their real life counterparts, especially when it came to move sequences. It seems like ever since HCTP the game has just taken steps backwards with the AI especially in its aggressiveness.

HCTP cheated a bit by having idle/standing animations for individual wrestlers plus wrestler specific move transitions.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The alternate movement speed just makes him get to top speed quicker when moving. He still overshoots everything. And I beat an enemy on hard that was 7 levels above me by mashing square the entire time and he couldn't stop cancelling out of his animation because I just kept hitting square. Definition of button mashy.

Zach

Now take his opinion, flip it upside down, and give it a 10/10 and you have my take. Now go back and get it

Game started off as a 6/10 for me but jumped to 10 as soon as Skellige opened up. No game, not even fallout (maybe), as a better sense of exploration and mystery as this does.

I think I'm just gonna move on because I'm not a fan of the fantasy setting. There are a million games to play anyway.

I'm 10 minutes into actually playing Witcher 3 and I shit you not when I say that already i've...
- Had Geralt climb a ledge only to slip straight back off because he was slightly off centre, twice in a row.
- Just pushed the old geezer i'm sparring with literally through a portcullis with my attacks in the sword/combat tutorial

I suppose this is the game letting me know that I'm certainly in for the jank with this one, crumbs, movement feels so weird .
Sum of its parts to the rescue I'm guessing.

Zach

Haha... Vincent's actually in a match on this Nitro. Booker T's gonna wreck this dude.

Edit: Booker T wrecked that dude.

Top Bottom