• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Celebrating 20 Years of the YET-AY!

KingBroly

Banned
I watched WW3 in the last few days.

Is the three tier cage better/worse as a gimmick?

Doomsday Cage Match at Uncensored 96...that's really the pinnacle of botched execution. When I saw that thing as a kid I was like 'holy shit I have to watch this look at that tower of death' that turned into a slow, weird trainwreck.

WCW's re-imaginging of it later was terrible as well. But it didn't have the spectacle of the Doomsday Cage.

Jamie OD

Hey, HiaC is tonight. Haven't watched WWE TV in over a month and just been tracking wrestling with the LAW podcasts. I kind of like this method of consuming wrestling.

Your post made me think if it's just better to only watch the monthly PPVs and skip the TV shows altogether. The pre-match video packages usually make the storylines more interesting than they are.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Corny is kinda off on the Hogan heel turn. It's not even remotely out of nowhere. He spends most of 1995 and early 1996 getting booed whenever they're not in traditional WWF hotbeds. He even teases going heel at the end of 1995 with the wearing black and the face paint, brother.

Then you get the natural story of the fake invasion and the two dude from up north and him joining them to run wild on WCW. It's pretty well planned out, as is much of the early NWO.

2 things I learned from the Lesnar Stone Cold Podcast:

1) Lesnar uses charcoal in one or all of his multiple Big Green Eggs
2) "Gimmicks" can sometimes refer to women (this is under the broad Ultimate Warrior usage of the term, I suppose).

DMczaf

CR578HeWoAAxNrZ.jpg:large

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You know, we talk a lot about WWE missing the boat on a lot of wrestlers, and it does happen. But I was thinking about Beth Phoenix today in my liquidsnake ways and really realized how much more they probably could have done with her. She was a powerful, experienced wrestler who looked intimidating but never hit that 'sideshow' level that they went for with Nicole Bass or Chyna. She remained a top level focus for her whole tenure in the company, but they rarely did anything interesting with her. I think the only interesting thing they did with her was the Glamarella stuff and they didn't do enough with that. She never really got enough time or enough interesting feuds to make use of her talents, but she was always solid at everything she did.

I guess I would have liked to seen her go to somewhere like STARDOM for a tour after left WWE, but I imagine she was ready to settle down at that point.

O
M
G

Stone Cold is here!

I remember watching the Raw when Foley beat the rock, crying obviously but why did this really really give wwf that boost in ratings? Was Foley basically the Daniel Bryan of WWF?

DMczaf

I'm listening to Bret Hart's appearance on Stone Cold's podcast

Stone Cold and Bret are such gigantic wrestling nerds, its amazing. There's something really cool about these guys loving The Business this much, but they are basically just huge nerds.

Has Stone Cold recovered yet from Brock berrying the business?

KingBroly

Banned
You know, we talk a lot about WWE missing the boat on a lot of wrestlers, and it does happen. But I was thinking about Beth Phoenix today in my liquidsnake ways and really realized how much more they probably could have done with her. She was a powerful, experienced wrestler who looked intimidating but never hit that 'sideshow' level that they went for with Nicole Bass or Chyna. She remained a top level focus for her whole tenure in the company, but they rarely did anything interesting with her. I think the only interesting thing they did with her was the Glamarella stuff and they didn't do enough with that. She never really got enough time or enough interesting feuds to make use of her talents, but she was always solid at everything she did.

I guess I would have liked to seen her go to somewhere like STARDOM for a tour after left WWE, but I imagine she was ready to settle down at that point.

Off the top of my head:
- Daniel Bryan
- Cesaro
- Sandow
- Cody Rhodes

These guys should be bigger than they are because the company doesn't put their muscle behind them. Daniel Bryan only got over to the extent he did because the fans revolted. Instead, the company puts their muscle behind Sheamus and Reigns who people aren't exactly thrilled about. They'd rather make the New Day a cartoon face group instead of a heel group, which is how they got over, as jackass-ish real people. Which is why we get shit like Stardust, Bray Wyatt, Kane and Random Crazy Wrestler #9

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Off the top of my head:
- Daniel Bryan
- Cesaro
- Sandow
- Cody Rhodes

These guys should be bigger than they are because the company doesn't put their muscle behind them. Daniel Bryan only got over to the extent he did because the fans revolted. Instead, the company puts their muscle behind Sheamus and Reigns who people aren't exactly thrilled about. They'd rather make the New Day a cartoon face group instead of a heel group, which is how they got over, as jackass-ish real people. Which is why we get shit like Stardust, Bray Wyatt, Kane and Random Crazy Wrestler #9

I'd take Bray Wyatt over Cesaro and Sandow any day of the week, friend.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If the 'concussion protocol' is anything to go by in the Breaking Ground segment about it, then Bryan is probably never wrestling again in WWE. He probably shouldn't. Probably an untold amount of concussions before WWE. Don't know how minor/major they were. But even if they were minor, from my readings about concussions at Deadspin, they could do big damage as well.

I find it unlikely they'll never let him on again. I suppose they could pay him to stay home but that would likely be dependent on him just letting it happen.

Ithil

O
M
G

Stone Cold is here!

I remember watching the Raw when Foley beat the rock, crying obviously but why did this really really give wwf that boost in ratings? Was Foley basically the Daniel Bryan of WWF?

Two fold. Foley was really popular as an underdog, outside the box type, and what's more, they gave away the result on Nitro in a dismissive manner. So everyone watching Nitro now knew if they turned to RAW they'd see a big title change with a fan favourite (whom WCW dismissed as being useless).

So half a million people immediately switched over to RAW to see it, leading to RAW crushing Nitro in the ratings that week.

Oops.

Two fold. Foley was really popular as an underdog, outside the box type, and what's more, they gave away the result on Nitro in a dismissive manner. So everyone watching Nitro now knew if they turned to RAW they'd see a big title change with a fan favourite (whom WCW dismissed as being useless).

So half a million people immediately switched over to RAW to see it, leading to RAW crushing Nitro in the ratings that week.

Oops.
OK after all of these years I've finally got it.

Alucard

Banned
Your post made me think if it's just better to only watch the monthly PPVs and skip the TV shows altogether. The pre-match video packages usually make the storylines more interesting than they are.

Yeah. The TV stuff is just filler. Rarely engaging or worth the investment of time. And it's mostly due to how big the WWE has gotten and how many hours of TV they produce every week. Just waters down everything.

Top Bottom