• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Celebrating 20 Years of the YET-AY!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I like Chris Hero now so you can't make fun of his body or I'll tell a mod on you.

I mean... For the betterment of our community or something

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't know how you took that point but I'm not advocating for everyone being tagged with a W - L column on their titantron or anything but at least make title belt holders and challengers have some semblance of sense. And so KO doesn't have to trot this out in defense of suffering the CenagetshiswinsbackLOL disease that relegates all afflicted with a serious bout of midcard 4 life

I suppose to some extent I don't follow.

This is pretty much how it has to work unless you have squash matches with jobbers, less PPVs to begin with, or follow the Hulk Hogan plan of just having them never fight anyone outside of house shows/PPVs. That works for Lesnar, but they have a Manchild Soap Opera to run.

But again, maybe I'm not understand what kind of model you're advocating for.

jmdajr

Yep, sadly.

nWo helping Sting made no fucking sense. Goldberg showing up to help Sting would have been fucking awesome. An even better idea would be that all of the main eventers HHH buried (see - the "flavor of the month" video used in the HHH/Bryan build up) come out to help Sting.

Why the fuck did Sting have to lose to HHH?

Because he couldn't lose two Mania's in a row. Can't go into 32 being a loser.

klonere

Banned
I suppose to some extent I don't follow.

This is pretty much how it has to work unless you have squash matches with jobbers, less PPVs to begin with, or follow the Hulk Hogan plan of just having them never fight anyone outside of house shows/PPVs. That works for Lesnar, but they have a Manchild Soap Opera to run.

But again, maybe I'm not understand what kind of model you're advocating for.

It's probably too late to bring back jobbers in the 3 hour era. I don't think people would accept it as readily as they have in NXT. You are right - its a very hard and intractable problem for the WWE but I firmly believe its something they have to solve.

The US Open Challenge is probably the best example of where it should go - not only do they get to fill time every week with match but the person holding the belt gets to make it feel important with the promo time. Some weeks its as close to a squash as you'll get on Raw (Stardust, Slater, R-Truth challenges) and others it can be close and competitive (Neville, Cesaro, Zayn, minus the underselling of everything). So when you are ready to switch the title, it is an event, something that can draw on its own merits - something that can co-main a PPV or main event a Raw.

When people say "Cena really brought prestige to the belt!!" as if Cena was the X-Factor there, I think a Cody Rhodes, Rusev or yes, even Cesaro could do much the same. Hopefully they give Owens that platform with the IC Belt for a long run with it and make it feel special. That way, when Zayn does come up and heads back into the feud, the extra fuel of the IC belt makes that match more compelling. Also, if Owens has held that belt from now till Mania, people won't be bitching all that much about Zayn/Owens being for the big belt because the intervening time in making the wins and losses matter, giving it time (which they desperately need to fill) will have made it feel important enough to forgive that its not the main event or whatever.

Basically, don't beat your title holders for no reason and have either a storyline reason or someone to make a big deal when you do.

I'm assuming some of you have been to Manias in the past. If so, how was it?

31 was the only one I've really had to travel for so far. It was nice to visit another part of the country, and we were able to get our act together enough to get NXT tickets in time for that show. We also attend one of the EVOLVE shows that weekend and do some general sightseeing around San Francisco, so it worked out well.

I stayed with a friend for 31, so I didn't have to figure out lodging and transportation. If I go to Dallas, I'd probably still have to rent a car or hire taxis to go to the NXT show or the other indy shows, which actually makes the WWE's package less attractive overall.

I need a good comeback storyline

Dbry, get your ass healthy again.

Punk, burn out in UFC already and lose all your money somehow.

You just need AJ to take half that money in a divorce because he's a Punk and didn't sign the pre-nup.

Someone get Traci Brooks on that case.

Horsemen are old and over the hill. They'd lose as soon as they leave their rocking chairs.

pwc9Y9X.gif

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's probably too late to bring back jobbers in the 3 hour era. I don't think people would accept it as readily as they have in NXT. You are right - its a very hard and intractable problem for the WWE but I firmly believe its something they have to solve.

The US Open Challenge is probably the best example of where it should go - not only do they get to fill time every week with match but the person holding the belt gets to make it feel important with the promo time. Some weeks its as close to a squash as you'll get on Raw (Stardust, Slater, R-Truth challenges) and others it can be close and competitive (Neville, Cesaro, Zayn, minus the underselling of everything). So when you are ready to switch the title, it is an event, something that can draw on its own merits - something that can co-main a PPV or main event a Raw.

When people say "Cena really brought prestige to the belt!!" as if Cena was the X-Factor there, I think a Cody Rhodes, Rusev or yes, even Cesaro could do much the same. Hopefully they give Owens that platform with the IC Belt for a long run with it and make it feel special. That way, when Zayn does come up and heads back into the feud, the extra fuel of the IC belt makes that match more compelling. Also, if Owens has held that belt from now till Mania, people won't be bitching all that much about Zayn/Owens being for the big belt because the intervening time in making the wins and losses matter, giving it time (which they desperately need to fill) will have made it feel important enough to forgive that its not the main event or whatever.

Basically, don't beat your title holders for no reason and have either a storyline reason or someone to make a big deal when you do.

I mean, in terms of Rollins, the way he's booked is clearly intentional. They're not having Rollins eat pins all the time because they don't know how to book him strong. It is because he's supposed to be a shitheel coward who retains the belt by a combination of luck and circumstance.

I don't think the US title thing would mean nearly as much with someone other than Cena either. I'm just saying, if the US Title was held by Cesaro and he called for challenges, him beating everyone to retain it would be pretty implausible outside of all the challenges being Heath Slater or something. Unless they were booking Cesaro to be a world beater, which is an entirely different complaint.

i'm a CM Punk mark

he's not coming back guys, ever

forget him

I would be legit shocked if CM Punk never comes back. He honestly hasn't said enough to burn those bridges entirely and pretty much every dude who leaves the company pops off to some extent, and they all come crawling back.

Bronx-Man

Banned
It's honestly my dream to attend a WrestleKingdom show live. Don't know a word of Japanese though, so that could get in the way.

Hey guys, if those pictures of Matt winning the TNA title didn't make us happy, we're not real fans. Pack the thread up lads, we had a good innings.

It's honestly my dream to attend a WrestleKingdom show live. Don't know a word of Japanese though, so that could get in the way.

Take it from someone who went to Osaka by himself knowing the most limited Japanese possible

It won't fucking matter

I should go to a Dome show during one of my trips. I like going to Japan in summer vs winter, though.

Toki767

There's barely any talking so I think you'd be fine. Virtually the only time someone talks is thanking the fans at the end.

UberTag

Dallas is probably a shithole but Mania and the RAW after will be lovely

And I'll get to annoy my friends so it works
Is the RAW after Mania really going to be in the Dalls-Fort Worth area?
I mean, wouldn't they prefer to take it to Corpus Christi and its population of 300,000 just a few hundred miles directly south?
Or are the 8 or so TV tapings they're getting next year enough for them?

Aiii

So not worth it
Punk will absolutely be back in a WWE ring at some point in time as long as Vince is still in power.

You guys are looking at this from WWE's POV.

Punk doesn't strike me as a guy that lets shit go. He will hold that grudge forever. If anyone needs to be sold on a return, it is him, not WWE.

I mean, wouldn't they prefer to take it to Corpus Christi and its population of 300,000 just a few hundred miles directly south?

It's at the American Airlines Center in Dallas.

Punk doesn't strike me as a guy that lets shit go. He will hold that grudge forever. If anyone needs to be sold on a return, it is him, not WWE.

Punk is carny supreme. He is super petty and can hold grudges forever, but he likes money too.

Caderfix

What if HHH allows Punk to use his jacket though?

The post-'Mania Raw is at the American Airlines Center, which is in Dallas.

Of course, Dallas (along with Houston) redefine urban sprawl, so it's not exactly close to AT&T Stadium; they're 20 miles apart.

UberTag

Pretty much this.
Punk isn't going back to the WWE unless he gets robbed of his life savings or the Blackhawks ban him from attending their games.

I wanted to take the train to dallas from los angeles but for two people its $1,000. Might just drive there. It should only take a day.

Only way Punk ever works with WWE again is 20 years from now in a Bret Hart situation where he needs the money to pad his retirement fund.

Dude doesnt have a drug, drink problem or 4 ex wives bleeding his bank account dry. If he keeps his nose clean and doesnt get in major financial trouble he will never be back.

Aiii

So not worth it
Punk is carny supreme. He is super petty and can hold grudges forever, but he likes money too.

Dana is taking care of that though, after he has a few matches, no matter how it goes, I bet he is getting some kind of on-air role on UFC shows. WWE is not his only choice for making money.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Take it from someone who went to Osaka by himself knowing the most limited Japanese possible

It won't fucking matter

I should go to a Dome show during one of my trips. I like going to Japan in summer vs winter, though.

There's barely any talking so I think you'd be fine. Virtually the only time someone talks is thanking the fans at the end.

Yeah but if I'm gonna fly all the way to Japan, I'm gonna need to spend at least five days there to get my money's worth. Then there's the hotels, neon signs, the cute girls in short skirts...

Top Bottom