• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Celebrating 20 Years of the YET-AY!

TNA in a nutshell

But yeah, TNA has mostly been trainwreck after trainwreck, with all these listless former WWE guys coming in and having nonsensical storylines that often actively insulted the viewers’ intelligence. At one point, this company had Samoa Joe and current New Japan ace Kazuchika Okada, and the only thing it could think to do with them was to create a deeply halfassed Green Hornet/Kato tag team.The company’s entire history has been a series of missed opportunities, like the moment when they reportedly almost gave creative control to Paul Heyman, who wanted to build the company around a young Daniel Bryan (then Bryan Danielson on the indies)

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Problem is; I don't think Bryan hits megastar status without having the juggernaut of the WWE opposing him (both legitimately and then on-air) to build up his underdog status. It's the smarky equivalent of the Stone Cold story. No one would care if TNA held Bryan down; they would just tell him to go to WWE.

klonere

Banned
I mean, in terms of Rollins, the way he's booked is clearly intentional. They're not having Rollins eat pins all the time because they don't know how to book him strong. It is because he's supposed to be a shitheel coward who retains the belt by a combination of luck and circumstance.

I don't think the US title thing would mean nearly as much with someone other than Cena either. I'm just saying, if the US Title was held by Cesaro and he called for challenges, him beating everyone to retain it would be pretty implausible outside of all the challenges being Heath Slater or something. Unless they were booking Cesaro to be a world beater, which is an entirely different complaint..

I know that's what Rollins character is but A) They should have taken the belt off him months ago at this stage, a long term champ has to have at least a bit of edge to him B) Its clearly not a draw as a character and C) It doesn't match Rollins's strengths as a wrestler. It's going to mean less than nothing when someone does take the belt off him because his own fucking security team beat him.

There is nobody that John Cena has beaten during the Open Challenge (except for Rollins) that you couldn't conceivably have Cesaro/Rhodes/Owens or whichever midcarder they wanted to make feel big and important beat either.The theme of the Open Challenge is John Cena beats the midcard - why can't the midcard beat the midcard? Why can't the midcard get promo time?

Using money as an excuse to come back as weird. Punk likely has all the money he could ever want. And AJ probably does as well.

They do right now, sure. They could always want more.

Dana is taking care of that though, after he has a few matches, no matter how it goes, I bet he is getting some kind of on-air role on UFC shows. WWE is not his only choice for making money.

This is also true. If Punk doesn't flame the fuck out on UFC, he's absolutely set. And I think AJ wants to do B-movie acting or some such.

Yeah but if I'm gonna fly all the way to Japan, I'm gonna need to spend at least five days there to get my money's worth. Then there's the hotels, neon signs, the cute girls in short skirts...

You could go to the club I saw in Osaka that showcased how chubby their girls were

Or simp after girls in the street like I saw dudes do. Was hilarious.

Who is King Carny of Wrassle GAF?

It me.

Sephzilla

The guy who stole another poster's phrase to try to build a wrestling website and get the phrase over in off-topic.

BzrRqcu.gif

Bronx-Man

Banned
Problem is; I don't think Bryan hits megastar status without having the juggernaut of the WWE opposing him (both legitimately and then on-air) to build up his underdog status. It's the smarky equivalent of the Stone Cold story. No one would care if TNA held Bryan down; they would just tell him to go to WWE.

This is true. The NXT losing streak, tie-gate, 18 seconds, losing to Orton, they all contributed to Bryan being so damn over compared to everyone else on the roster.

yes.gif

Sephzilla

This is true. The NXT losing streak, tie-gate, 18 seconds, losing to Orton, they all contributed to Bryan being so damn over compared to everyone else on the roster.

yes.gif

I think an argument can be made that Bryan was already mega over before a bunch of that stuff happened though. He was mega over before the 18-seconds match. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Heyman could have made a star around Bryan in TNA.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
After all I've done for Wrasslegaf, you all would turn on me

Et tu, brother Brutii?

Bronx-Man

Banned
I think an argument can be made that Bryan was already mega over before a bunch of that stuff happened though. He was mega over before the 18-seconds match. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Heyman could have made a star around Bryan in TNA.

He definitely could have but it'd be around where AJ Styles & Samoa Joe are at, compared to the Cena levels he was at in his peak.

I wouldn't say he was mega over before 18 seconds, and I have my doubts that Bryan could carry an indie company to rival WWE. Maybe if Heyman was able to get Brock in TNA with Bryan they could've done some good shit.

Sephzilla

I wouldn't say he was mega over before 18 seconds, and I have my doubts that Bryan could carry an indie company to rival WWE. Maybe if Heyman was able to get Brock in TNA with Bryan they could've done some good shit.

Obviously it's not 100% proof, but Bryan was pretty over going into WM28

Daniel-Bryan.jpg

yes-fans.jpg

Fox318

See, this makes sense

But because the Vince only thinks wcw is nwo, we get nwo

Vince has no idea what even went on in WCW except that somebody with Kevin Nash's height got over.

Vince probably thought that Diesel didn't get over because of Bret instead of WCW able to make the worst drawing WWF champion of all time into a box office draw.

Looking back WCW made wrestling popular again post steroid scandal. Only thing WWF did was make a working environment that didn't have crazy levels of drama compared to WCW.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Kofi's gonna be that breakout star

However with Taker there next to that Sullivan gif, Taker looks an AWFUL lot like ol' Taskmaster..

Toki767

I also think that ad shows that virtually everyone needs to stop wearing black. Insert some color into your ring gear if you want help standing out.

Sephzilla

I also think that ad shows that virtually everyone needs to stop wearing black. Insert some color into your ring gear if you want help standing out.

Roman's the only guy who needs to stick to all black. When he does the goofy colored trim gear he looks stupid. Paige needs to go back to the purple attire. Taker needs to go back to the purple and black look.

Nobody is going to tell Brock Lesnar what color he can and cant wear

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Using money as an excuse to come back as weird. Punk likely has all the money he could ever want. And AJ probably does as well.

I think you are overestimating what wrestling pays

Why is Kofi on there?

The answer is probably "so everyone in the photo isn't white." Yeah, I know Roman is Samoan, but in weird photoshop WWE land he doesn't look all that foreign.

Toki767

Roman's the only guy who needs to stick to all black. When he does the goofy colored trim gear he looks stupid. Paige needs to go back to the purple attire. Taker needs to go back to the purple and black look

At least Roman didn't stick to that RR chest plate he wore at Mania. It's kind of sad that there might literally be no other look he can pull off other than the semi-riot gear look.

Sephzilla

I think you are overestimating what wrestling pays

And I think you're underestimating how badly UFC pays

At least Roman didn't stick to that RR chest plate he wore at Mania. It's kind of sad that there might literally be no other look he can pull off other than the semi-riot gear look.

His original shield gear was honestly the perfect look for him. When he goes to that smaller vest or the RR chest plate vest it makes him look like a shitty knockoff superhero and the whole look doesn't make him look as physically imposing

Barrage

Agreed. Re-watched Fall Brawl '97 and it's startling how unique everyone's ring gear is. And this is in the days where 30% of the roster HAD to wear black and white.

somedevil

According to Pwinsider this is how WWE is reacting to the bad ratings:

Vince McMahon was responsible for all the creative decisions made for the Madison Square Garden WWE Network special. The site notes that McMahon has been micro-managing as of late due to the ratings decline and is in control of every part of the company, even more than usual.

In addition, despite the talk about Triple H’s control in WWE growing Vince McMahon is still entirely in control and all creative decisions go through him for the final approval. When Creative pitches ideas, the common responses are along the lines of “we’ll have to check with Vince” or “see if Vince likes it”.

So this explains how the MSG show was booked like Raw. Plus I don't think this is the way to get the ratings back up.

Top Bottom