• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Dia de los Mil Muertes

notworksafe

Since she is an authority figure she interacts and works with all talent, and mostly male talent. Obviously they can't have her get treated the same as Vince was by the male talent because it's a different era now. But I think when the authority take losses that is her getting comeuppance.

For what its worth, she did recently get physical comeuppance this past Wrestlemania, for those that are dying to see a woman get beat up.
Cool, I guess. But I can pull shit from a the same thread two years ago too.

Clearly the wider fanbase appreciates her. However none of those are regular posters here, they are too busy being sour that a woman is getting some spotlight most likely.

Anth0ny

but yeah, steph is the fucking worst. just awful. talk about go away heat.

that criticism has zero to do with being a woman. i can name 10 other women on wwe that I enjoy seeing and are damn entertaining.

Since she is an authority figure she interacts and works with all talent, and mostly male talent. Obviously they can't have her get treated the same as Vince was by the male talent because it's a different era now. But I think when the authority take losses that is her getting comeuppance.

For what its worth, she did recently get physical comeuppance this past Wrestlemania, for those that are dying to see a woman get beat up.

Clearly the wider fanbase appreciates her. However none of those are regular posters here, they are too busy being sour that a woman is getting some spotlight most likely.

I'm not saying you're wrong or anything. I kinda agree with you, and Steph's character is currently a mess with no clear "heel" or "face" vibes. Just kinda doing whatever she feels, and the taking credit for the Women's stuff is irritating. I just have an issue with how you're going about trying to get your point across.

but yeah, steph is the fucking worst. just awful. talk about go away heat.

that criticism has zero to do with being a woman. i can name 10 other women on wwe that I enjoy seeing and are damn entertaining.

Charlotte. A woman. To me is currently the best Heel on the roster at the moment. And probably my favorite wrestler at the moment.

notworksafe

Another obvious factor is Daniel Bryan as GM. Dude is written as a petulant whiner who takes personal grudges to another level by booking matches on the show around them (Miz, AJ Styles). Yet this is seen as a good thing when he does it, and a bad thing when Steph does it. Odd how that works.

She NEVER gets her comeuppance. She is always the smartest person in the room, and if it appears a wrestler might get the advantage, she slaps that person's cheek raw. Vince McMahon was a great authority heel when he was willing to let people make a complete fool of him no matter how devious his machinations were. He became insufferable when he stopped doing that. I'm sure there are people who hate her solely because of her gender, but implying that's the only reason so many can't stand her is at best incredibly insulting and missing the fundamental issues with the way she's portrayed on TV.

DM is a dirty old man, though. He's like, what, 95 years of age?

^

She's not a good heel at all, in fact she's one of the worst in the business. She's such a fucking mark for herself that she won't put anyone over and misses the point of what a heel is supposed to even be. Everybody plays second fiddle to Stephanie McMahon and her giant ego.

Personally for me, I think Steph blurs the line. I guess a good example can be her being a heel, while at the same time run an anti-bullying non-profit. I'm pretty sure that some kid that the event already asked her this. Also, her actions regarding the marketing = charity tweets do rub others the wrong way.

From an in ring standpoint, she tries too hard to be a heel. I'm all for her being an authority figure, but find other ways to be convincing is my thought.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Another obvious factor is Daniel Bryan as GM. Dude is written as a petulant whiner who takes personal grudges to another level by booking matches on the show around them (Miz, AJ Styles). Yet this is seen as a good thing when he does it, and a bad thing when Steph does it. Odd how that works.

People haven't been fond of any of the GMs in their role, my dude.

Face GMs never work. We shouldn't be sympathizing with heels. That's why whenever there's an authority figure it needs to be a heel, so the face can rise above. Our current GMs on both shows are pretty awful, honestly. Shane has the right idea. He's around in case he needs to be, but keeping his appearances low key so they're a bit more impactful. Whereas Steph gets probably more TV/mic time than most of the roster on a weekly basis.

Bryan is ineffective, and mostly harmless compared to Steph.

Mahonay

Banned
Miz immediately shit all over Bryan on Smackdown for weeks. There was a back and forth.

I didn't like the AJ interaction. It made me sympathetic to AJ, since Bryan just seemed like he was abusing his power.

Lothar

Banned
Wow, I didn't even realize you were finding a post from 2014. I thought it was sad enough when I believed you were complaining about someone on the last page.

So are you actually talking about wrassleGAF anyone? Because plenty of posters here complain about the current iteration of Bryan for exactly the reason you just outlined

notworksafe

Face GMs never work. We shouldn't be sympathizing with heels. That's why whenever there's an authority figure it needs to be a heel, so the face can rise above. Our current GMs on both shows are pretty awful, honestly. Shane has the right idea. He's around in case he needs to be, but keeping his appearances low key so they're a bit more impactful. Whereas Steph gets probably more TV/mic time than most of the roster on a weekly basis.

Bryan is ineffective, and mostly harmless compared to Steph.

You could say Steph is ineffective in the storyline as well, look at how well Cena/DBryan/Roman/insert face here do even with the Authority meddling and working against them. Yet he is still seen as "harmless" while Steph is "hurting the product".

So are you actually talking about wrassleGAF anyone? Because plenty of posters here complain about the current iteration of Bryan for exactly the reason you just outlined

Well I am expanding it a bit to the wider internet but WrassleGAF is included in that. And I misspoke when trying to imply it was universal across all posters, but it's definitely something I see here just as much as other sites.

Zach

Listen, I'm not super familiar with Stephanie McMahon. In 2016. But for me personally, she done poisoned the well in 2000.

Good day, notworksafe!

notworksafe

OwensIsNow is the biggest offender since most of his posts about Steph border on misogynistic. I've already sent PMs once or twice in the past.

While agreeing with Beef hurts me on a deep level I cannot accurately describe, I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing this kind of behavior and thinking it's out of place.

Zach

Well I am expanding it a bit to the wider internet but WrassleGAF is included in that. And I misspoke when trying to imply it was universal across all posters, but it's definitely something I see here just as much as other sites.
Really? I'm always shocked that any of you like Stephanie McMahon. There seems to be a lot of fans around here. Or maybe it's just excessive posting by a few weirdos, I dunno. I can't keep you jerks straight.
Shoot , we dont need heel or face authority figure in 2016.
Eh, it's really the heel authority figure that's long in the tooth. An on-screen matchmaker doesn't seem so bad if used sparingly and smartly.

The thing I don't like about Stephanie is how repetitive her segments have gotten. It's like they run the same exact segment to put Steph over every week.

I don't understand why she plays a heel anyways.

There's a lot of different Stephs, some good, some not. Evil, vindictive Steph is great. Pandering Steph is just cringeworthy. Pretty much ever bit she does with Mick just brutal.

I think her need to be a public face for the company, be it at the corporate level, with charities, or with the media has basically put a muzzle on her character. She either needs to be full-on Authority heel or complete responsible business woman face. She's been kind of straddling that line between both for a while now and its bad. Just bad.

Eh, it's really the heel authority figure that's long in the tooth. An on-screen matchmaker doesn't seem so bad if used sparingly and smartly.

I'm burnt out on heel authority figures. We just need plain, late Smackdown Teddy. Doesn't get involved with stories, but puts matches together so it doesn't seem like wrestlers just put shit together by themselves. Unless you're John Cena.

Mahonay

Banned
Stephanie is behind the Susan G Komen partnership, one of the most for-profit charity originations out there. Even the NFL dropped them.

NOPE. Not WWE. They plaster that shit absolutely everywhere.

Do-Gooders-Dont-Need-to-Brag-Is-Brand-Philanthropy-Sincere-Or-Just-Another-Marketing-Strategy.jpg

Top Bottom