• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Dia de los Mil Muertes

shaowebb

What the fuck happened to Aries' face?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvzDuW1VMAAS-Q9.jpg:large

*edit, oh okay, Nak kneed him.

IzAYrEr.gif

Strong styled the fuck out. Real talk though...looks nasty as hell. Hope he doesn't end up with bleeding inside his eye.

'Over' with the ratings being down 11% when he's in the main event?

So we're still blaming Ellsworth for the show happening during Game One of the World Series? Hell, weren't people in this thread already talking about how the WS + NBA meant Smackdown was fucked this week? How did it get shifted to Ellsworth - who wasn't announced for the main event (and didn't wrestle in the main event until right before the match started)?

Anth0ny

So we're still blaming Ellsworth for the show happening during Game One of the World Series? Hell, weren't people in this thread already talking about how the WS + NBA meant Smackdown was fucked this week? How did it get shifted to Ellsworth - who wasn't announced for the main event (and didn't wrestle in the main event until right before the match started)?

it's the wrasslin thread. when we aren't shooting on each other, we're working eachother. or, at best, worked shooting on each other.

and that's a shoot.

I would never talk about sports being the reason for its lowered ratings because guess what's on all the time? Some form of sports. It's a poor excuse because it's one that can be used every day, hour, week, year to divert attention away from your own lack of creativity in your product, and it's transparent as hell to see

Kaladin

I would never talk about sports being the reason for its lowered ratings because guess what's on all the time? Some form of sports. It's a poor excuse because it's one that can be used every day, hour, week, year to divert attention away from your own lack of creativity in your product, and it's transparent as hell to see

It's not sports in general, it's major sporting events.

Monday Night Football is a major weekly sporting event during the season.

The World Freakin Series is a major sporting event.

The College Football National Championship is a major sporting event.

Presidential Debates are major non sporting events along the same lines.

We wouldn't say a random basketball or baseball or hockey game on a Monday night would drain ratings, but major events? Sure. It can have an affect.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
As usual AG thinks he knows better than the law

Paging Dixie right now to sue him after this victory. Paging, of course, because emails have been unsuccessful ��

I mean, I did pass the Bar Exam and continue to pay the state bar their fees, so I am, in fact, qualified to comment on the issue.

MNF is major like TNF

Nobody says wahhhhh it's not fair TNA lost to a scrub Panthers game, and it's just as silly to say for WWE losing to a fucking scrub Bears game that also is getting low ratings

Recall

It's not sports in general, it's major sporting events.

Monday Night Football is a major weekly sporting event during the season.

The World Freakin Series is a major sporting event.

The College Football National Championship is a major sporting event.

Presidential Debates are major non sporting events along the same lines.

We wouldn't say a random basketball or baseball or hockey game on a Monday night would drain ratings, but major events? Sure. It can have an affect.

Then stop putting so much stock in to ratings that don't matter.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If ratings don't matter, would their flagship shows still be only viewable on a television set with cable?

Wrestling will never be as big as it used to be. That's just what the internet has done. But that doesn't excuse the abysmal ratings. Raw and Smackdown say that people still watch TV and that it's considered extremely important to them. Football ratings are down drastically and even if they weren't, there's no excuse for their poor ratings other than quality. Beyond freak examples like the most Media circus Presidential Debates in history, the excuse of 'well so and so is on' just makes the WWE look pathetic and defeatist. And it just keeps lowering their bar.

somedevil

Then make less obviously false excuses

You know the observer also mentioned those two as competition:

Against heavy competition from game one of the World Series between the Chicago Cubs and Cleveland Indians (19.368 million viewers on FOX) and the opening night of the NBA season, SmackDown reverted to similar numbers that it was doing when airing taped on Thursday nights.

I believe Smackdown might lose some viewers against opening night of basketball and the highest viewed world series since 2009.

I'm really, REALLY looking forward to the "WWE is doomed"crew's thoughts on the Q3 WWE Financial reports.
The one about how the Network peaked at 1.5 mil, just like it's peak always? It's not doomed. It just reached its max audience, which is a lot less than they hoped for.

This is good and not doomed because now they're disappointed in the Network like the USA Network is disappointed in them

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
What did the internet do? We're not writing Raw. I take no responsibility.

No one specifically. We just know way too much about pro wrestling and wrestlers now for it to be exciting for a lot of people. You can't really be a weekly fan without eventually learning way too much about the product and having the surprises ruined for you.

It is hard to determine what one specific variable is causing decline in ratings. You seem to jerk off to the idea that it has something to do with the one or two things you hate (Kenny, Ellsworth, etc). Even hobos can draw straight lines.

You seem really obsessed with me, dude.

What did the internet do? We're not writing Raw. I take no responsibility.
The internet made Netflix. Hulu, HBO Go. Etc.

Basically more than enough alternatives from all sides that when WWE piss someone off, someone can move on with their money. And as history and I and others here and others elsewhere and the Network's numbers have shown...most don't come back.

Kaladin

All the financial report tells me is that the value of the WWE Network will eventually outgrow the value of any TV deal they could make. It will be interesting when that happens for sure.

Zach

Do you keep a checklist of who I do or don't respond to in this thread? That reads a tad narcissistic. In reality, I enjoy your depth of knowledge and history on the industry but am taken aback when you drop a lot of drive bys

Check the bass in your posts directed at my man, yak.

A lot of projecting going on in this thread right now.

I'd suggest you all go out to the store, buy full body mirrors, and simply stare at them for the next 8 hours. Clothing optional.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
All the financial report tells me is that the value of the WWE Network will eventually outgrow the value of any TV deal they could make. It will be interesting when that happens for sure.

I'd spend...60 extra bucks a year to get Smackdown Live on demand. I'd pay 24 extra bucks a year to get it next day. I'm a busy man most Tuesdays.

Top Bottom