• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| I'm seein' double here...

Recall

Caught the highlights to Raw:

Funny how both Jordan and Gable are tagging with one half of an old tag team.

The Mickie James being old angle is weird because she's the same age as Samos Joe.

1993 Rumble

Bob Backlund is old
Carlos Colon is a young up and comer.

Carlos was just as old but WWE logic.

klonere

Banned
These ones can't

Ain't no one tuning in to watch Drew Gulak vs Tony Nese

Yeah, I'll agree that Nese is peak modern indie guy that does cool shit smoothly but has nothing compelling about him in the slightest.

They're not drawing on 205 live, we all know this.

im shocked, SHOCKED that a show with the premise of 205 Live is being poorly handled by World Wrestling Entertainment

Recall

These ones can’t

Ain’t no one tuning in to watch Drew Gulak vs Tony Nese

Yet if either were in a different promotion or in Japan people would. It's as if WWE's booking/presentation/style is reductive and doesn't help enforce their positives - it just makes them one of the crowd.

It's been the same for decades if you aren't one of the select few to be pushed in a meaningful manner then the crowd simply don't care, that isn't due a wrestlers talent but WWE's way.

Albert did nothing in WWE, no one cared. Goes to Japan displays what it's like to work with no limitations or hindrance, gets over huge. WWE is its own worst enemy but fans blame the performers/lose interest.

DLONf47W4AEi7-i

Egg0

Banned
I like that Miz got Sheamus and Cesaro as stand ins for their Shield thing. Miztourage already looked like goobers, at least this way, Miz has a couple bruisers.

Miz's knees were buckling during that triple powerbomb. Imagine if Bo and Axel were there.

Bronx-Man

Banned
The CWC was a fluke in every way, every point of WWE history shows they have no idea how to book cruiserweights. 205 Live was ding-dong-doomed from the start, bubba.

Recall

Was Vince very hands on with the CWC?

Supppsedly it was all Triple H, it wasn't until NXT started becoming a thing that drew by itself that Vince started butting in.

The CWC was genuinely incredible for me, I was actually excited each week to watch the latest episode...it always left me wanting more and just kept on delivering.

Draxal

The CWC was a fluke in every way, every point of WWE history shows they have no idea how to book cruiserweights. 205 Live was ding-dong-doomed from the start, bubba.

205 lives issue is fatigue, three hours in before the dark show real main event.

Cagey

Banned
Cruiserweights aren't compelling based on being smaller wrestlers.

Unless they're so different such that it's a different flavor of product entirely, and not the equivalent of a worse version of pro wrestling, it's not going to entertain on its own.

Basically, lucha or flips, and then that's up to your tastes if that even appeals to you.

Foggy

*saddles division with bullshit booking, drawn out feuds, in a time slot nobody cares about, submission matches, slow ass WWE style antithetical to what made the CWC exciting, crazy girlfriend booking*

SEE! The vanilla midgets can't draw a dime!

Welp

William Ospreay‏ @WillOspreay 37m37 minutes ago

Well Young Bucks ain't the only one that's been hit with a Cease & Desist. I can no longer sell "Paw is War" or "Kitty Style"

klonere

Banned

Unless they're so different such that it's a different flavor of product entirely, and not the equivalent of a worse version of pro wrestling, it's not going to entertain on its own.

Basically, lucha or flips, and then that's up to your tastes if that even appeals to you.

what does this even mean

are you implying that all wrestlers smaller than 6ft are exactly the same or something

Hasney

Supppsedly it was all Triple H, it wasn't until NXT started becoming a thing that drew by itself that Vince started butting in.

The CWC was genuinely incredible for me, I was actually excited each week to watch the latest episode...it always left me wanting more and just kept on delivering.

Yeah, having genuinely awesome moments like Gargano and Ciampa, Bryan coming off commentary to hug Kendrick after he lost to Ibushi and that fucking burning hammer and people chanting tonsign Alexander after his amazing match made it brilliant TV.

And that's setting aside the actual average match quality in general.

Recall

How different is the modern WWE heavyweight style compared to the cruiserweight?

It all feels interchangeable.

Cagey

Banned
what does this even mean

are you implying that all wrestlers smaller than 6ft are exactly the same or something

I mean what's written.

Cruiserweights aren't automatically compelling based on nothing but the fact that they're cruiserweights. "Cruiserweight" status means nothing for entertainment.

Without differentiation in wrestling style, cruiserweights are pint-sized heavyweights.

How different is the modern WWE heavyweight style compared to the cruiserweight?

That's the problem. And that might or might not be something WWE can fix. Heavyweights do so much athletically at this point that it's encroached on what separated cruiserweights versus heavyweights back in the WWF/WCW days.

Bronx-Man

Banned
*saddles division with bullshit booking, drawn out feuds, in a time slot nobody cares about, submission matches, slow ass WWE style antithetical to what made the CWC exciting, crazy girlfriend booking*

SEE! The vanilla midgets can't draw a dime!
giphy.gif

Yeah, having genuinely awesome moments like Gargano and Ciampa, Bryan coming off commentary to hug Kendrick after he lost to Ibushi and that fucking burning hammer and people chanting tonsign Alexander after his amazing match made it brilliant TV.

giphy.gif

Foggy

In a vacuum? Very different. But the WWE wants everyone to wrestle the same way at the same pace. Let the guys wrestle in the same way that put them on the WWE's radar in the first place.

Recall

Remember how WWE booked its 1997 light heavyweight division? Vince wants it all to be the same and doesn't understand how anything can different yet still succeed.

Brian Christopher did well for himself...I guess

klonere

Banned
I mean what's written.

Cruiserweights aren't automatically compelling based on nothing but the fact that they're cruiserweights. "Cruiserweight" status means nothing for entertainment.

Without differentiation in wrestling style, cruiserweights are pint-sized heavyweights.

Ah I get you, agreed, I never saw a real compelling difference between stuff on 205 and main event Raw stuff.

I know WWE want brand cohesion so they don't confuse fans but having the 205 guys just do WWE style cruiserweight stuff was the worst decision they could have mad.

Recall

I mean what's written.

That's the problem. And that might or might not be something WWE can fix. Heavyweights do so much athletically at this point that it's encroached on what separated cruiserweights versus heavyweights back in the WWF/WCW days.

WWE can fix it. Once Vince dies and Steph listens to others.

Foggy

It's definitely something that can be fixed. But that would mean the WWE deviating from their formula which they'll never do because of ego or hard cameras or replays or whatever the fuck is preventing them from doing fast paced indie style matches.

klonere

Banned
It's definitely something that can be fixed. But that would mean the WWE deviating from their formula which they'll never do because of ego or hard cameras or replays or whatever the fuck is preventing them from doing fast paced indie style matches.

There is still a massive gap between WWE heavyweight style and say, Dragon Gate junior style wrestler. Or the BJW Junior style (Battlearts with less grapplefuck basically). Or Euro indie style. Or actual fucking Lucha.

This isn't an insurmountable problem folks.

Recall

Personally it's the most memorable and exciting thing WWE has ever produced since letting Punk be Punk in 2011. For me it's a milestone.

Draxal

Ehhh, I'm not sure.

I've seen Gran Metallik, Ali Mustafa, and Cedric Alexander do flippy shit that nobody on the main roster can do and get no heat what so ever, on 205 live.

205 itself is actually a decently booked show compared to Raw or Smackdown (obviously NXT's better); however the crowd is just dead tired after two hours of Smackdown. (this does not excuse the awful booking of 3v3s on Raw that is just poorly booked).

You can have the same exact hour of 205 live appear in Full Sail and it will come of ten times better.

Cagey

Banned

I agree with the last part. I'd rather they just go full-on indie flipfest with 205 Live, within reason according to WWE's safety standards but not to WWE's in-match storytelling standards.

It's not my preferred style, sure, but it's legitimately different to justify the show's existence beyond filling another hour of on-network content and there's a niche audience for that product.

Right now, there's no audience for 205 Live beyond addicts.

cruiserweight division died on day one when they introduced the cruiserweight's on raw WITHOUT HAVING THE FUCKING CHAMPION APPEARING

plus didn't foley forget like half their names

Foggy

Ehhh, I'm not sure.

I've seen Gran Metallik, Ali Mustafa, and Cedric Alexander do flippy shit that nobody on the main roster can do and get no heat what so ever, on 205 live.

205 itself is actually a decently booked show compared to Raw or Smackdown (obviously NXT's better); however the crowd is just dead tired after two hours of Smackdown. (this does not excuse the awful booking of 3v3s on Raw that is just poorly booked).

You can have the same exact hour of 205 live appear in Full Sail and it will come of ten times better.

There's more to what can be changed than just MOVEZ. Use the pacing, the logic(or lack thereof), variety of moves, and the rhythm of indie style or hell non-WWE style and then we can decide on whether the audience is there for it or not. Watch the CWC Cedric Alexander match against Ibushi or watch his indie matches and then watch a stock CWC match that he's in that garners no heat and try to tell me that those matches are the same. Pro wrestling isn't some rigid form of entertainment, they can do a lot more than an extra flip or two that AJ Styles doesn't do.

Pete Dunn and Tyler Bate's match from that one Takeover is a perfect example of what an indie paced match can look like without flippy dippy shenanigans. It felt different than all the other NXT matches on that card.

They went as far to change the lights, ropes and commentary to let you know that this is a different product separate from the main roster but make them work the same style

You're basically telling your audience "hey this is like everything else on the show but you don't care about it"

Pete Dunn and Tyler Bate's match from that one Takeover is a perfect example of what an indie paced match can look like without flippy dippy shenanigans.
To be fair, Tyler did some ridiculous flippy shit in that match. You just don't remember it because of how good the match was

Standing shooting star into a submission reversal by Pete, that inhuman corkscrew 450

Foggy

To be fair, Tyler did some ridiculous flippy shit in that match. You just don't remember it because of how good the match was

Standing shooting star into a submission reversal by Pete, that inhuman corkscrew 450

That goes to show how my standards for flippy dippy have gotten all out of whack over the past couple years

klonere

Banned
There's more to what can be changed than just MOVEZ. Use the pacing, the logic(or lack thereof), variety of moves, and the rhythm of indie style or hell non-WWE style and then we can decide on whether the audience is there for it or not. Watch the CWC Cedric Alexander match against Ibushi or watch his indie matches and then watch a stock CWC match that he's in that garners no heat and try to tell me that those matches are the same. Pro wrestling isn't some rigid form of entertainment, they can do a lot more than an extra flip or two that AJ Styles doesn't do.

Pete Dunn and Tyler Bate's match from that one Takeover is a perfect example of what an indie paced match can look like without flippy dippy shenanigans. It felt different than all the other NXT matches on that card.

I think that's what so strange about that Bate/Dunne match. They got to do everything they wanted and broke all the rules. Headdrop shit, no selling spots, dives on dives, a non-WWE pace. Like, NXT main eventers don't get that leeway. I wonder what the story behind that match was given that they didn't do one on the most recent Takeover.

Heroman

Banned
Moves aren't the reason why the Cruiserweight division is a failure, it the booking. Like from day week had basically told that these guys aren't shit when compared to the heavyweights. And it also doesn't hurt that they been shown to be fookin geeks.

Zach

Man, some piece of shit is opening my side gate to my back yard and leaving it open sometime in the middle of the night. This is the second time in about 2 weeks. It's weird.

We have a shed. Nothing in it but a dryer and a bigass chair someone may have died in. Figured it was someone looking for lawn equipment to steal. But a second time?

I know "chain the gate shut" but I don't like ignorance - it's low enough someone could hop it if they're not obese. I'd rather know if they've been there.

Going to set up some of my interior cameras out there to hopefully figure out who it is, or what. It's just a chain link fence. We have one on each side of the house, but the other side is never touched.

Just fuckin' weird. I'd like to make a spike pit but I'd fall into it sometime.

I have this irrational fear that someone's going to open my side gate and my dog's going to chase some squirrel and get ran over or something. I don't know why. He mostly lives inside. And when he's outside, I'm with him half the time. I don't know. I just don't want to lose him. My sweet prince. My favorite son.

I hate you, NVM.

The trick is that's Zach, and he's just looking for an excuse to show off.

Been waiting on him. This isn't the way, Zach.

andre.jif

Sephzilla

200 pound cruiserweight flippy shit loses its appeal a little bit when most of your main event scene can bust out shit like Phoenix Splashes and the like.

Hasney

I think that's what so strange about that Bate/Dunne match. They got to do everything they wanted and broke all the rules. Headdrop shit, no selling spots, dives on dives, a non-WWE pace. Like, NXT main eventers don't get that leeway. I wonder what the story behind that match was given that they didn't do one on the most recent Takeover.

Probably just because they aren't being groomed for the main roster, so they don't have to do that NXT hybrid style of indie working and WWE style.

Heroman

Banned
200 pound cruiserweight flippy shit loses its appeal a little bit when most of your main event scene can bust out shit like Phoenix Splashes and the like.
Not really I mean Kenny Omega and ibushi do crazy moves all the time that doesn't hurt the Jr heavyweights at all.

Zach

They ended up trying to steal one of his motorbikes. He spread the footage around when he got them on camera and ended up beating the shit out of them. They absolutely chose the wrong guy to fuck with.

Hopefully it doesnt come to anything like that! May be an idea to put a sign out saying there are cameras set up just to put them off further. Thats what I did when someone poisoned my dog years ago. Nobody bothered us again.

I live in fear someone will poison our dog. I hope it comes to beatings! I like beatings.

Oh, great. Another irrational fear to have. I'm mad as heck.

(But I'm sorry about your dog, HashtagLapsed. That's terrible.)

Top Bottom