• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Running around in our underwear making ugly faces

# TMF

tumblr_nb3xl1UDuS1qf7xjao1_250.gif

strobogo

Banned
LEGITSHOOK.COM PRESENTS

WCW MONDAY NITRO 9/2/96

Nitro has been on officially on the air for a year now.

• DDP vs Alex Wright
  • Harlem Heat vs Greg Valentine/Buddy Valentino WCW Tag Team Championships
  • That Motherfucker Dean Malenko vs Chris Jericho
  • The Giant vs Brad Armstrong
  • Ron Studd vs Randy Savage
  • Sting/Lex Luger vs Steiner Brothers
  • Four Horsemen vs Dungeon Of Doom

Listen, you can skip everything up to Steiners vs Lex/Sting. And that only because it leads to a set up where Sting and Lex ended up stealing a police car to chase the nWo limo, which allowed the nWo to strike in the building. And that shit was BONKERS. Giant joins the nWo. Macho gets a yellow streak of paint down his back. Nash is trying to fucking REK fools for real. Then the nWo thinks everything is over so they head to the announce booth. But the DoD/Horsemen strike back and have the wildest and realist looking brawl I think I've ever seen in wrassling. Shit was pandemonium. It was HYPE. Mongo definitely drilled Hall in the mouth. TMF hit Nash in the face with the edge of a giant plastic chair. Arn and Sullivan were throwing those chairs full force with reckless abandon. It was just chaos and it was fucking rad.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
LEGITSHOOK.COM PRESENTS

WCW MONDAY NITRO 9/2/96

Nitro has been on officially on the air for a year now.

• DDP vs Alex Wright
  • Harlem Heat vs Greg Valentine/Buddy Valentino WCW Tag Team Championships
  • That Motherfucker Dean Malenko vs Chris Jericho
  • The Giant vs Brad Armstrong
  • Ron Studd vs Randy Savage
  • Sting/Lex Luger vs Steiner Brothers
  • Four Horsemen vs Dungeon Of Doom

Listen, you can skip everything up to Steiners vs Lex/Sting. And that only because it leads to a set up where Sting and Lex ended up stealing a police car to chase the nWo limo, which allowed the nWo to strike in the building. And that shit was BONKERS. Giant joins the nWo. Macho gets a yellow streak of paint down his back. Nash is trying to fucking REK fools for real. Then the nWo thinks everything is over so they head to the announce booth. But the DoD/Horsemen strike back and have the wildest and realist looking brawl I think I've ever seen in wrassling. Shit was pandemonium. It was HYPE. Mongo definitely drilled Hall in the mouth. TMF hit Nash in the face with the edge of a giant plastic chair. Arn and Sullivan were throwing those chairs full force with reckless abandon. It was just chaos and it was fucking rad.

This sounds like the Nitro to end all Nitros. I can't wait to rewatch this one, you got me hyped as fuck for this.

strobogo

Banned
This sounds like the Nitro to end all Nitros. I can't wait to rewatch this one, you got me hyped as fuck for this.

It kind of was the Nitro to end all Nitros. Cruisers, bullshit finishes, many limo shots, SWERVES, spray paint, and a crazy brawl to end the show. Shit got real. RULL. Nash looked like the meanest dude on the planet during all of that shit. Dude looked like he was legit trying to hurt people.

I forgot to mention that it was also the debut of the nWo logo shirt.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It kind of was the Nitro to end all Nitros. Cruisers, bullshit finishes, many limo shots, SWERVES, spray paint, and a crazy brawl to end the show. Shit got real. RULL. Nash looked like the meanest dude on the planet during all of that shit. Dude looked like he was legit trying to hurt people.

I forgot to mention that it was also the debut of the nWo logo shirt.

A shirt literally so iconic that Vince brought in those three high priced motherfuckers to introduce a lethal dose of giant merch sales,,,and it worked.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I got home right at nine and didn't have the give a fuck necessary to turn on iMPACT. I'm also three weeks behind starting tomorrow on Review an Impact, the real reason I watched iMPACT to begin with. Now tonight we had exactly one person watching TNA

TNA

in

strobogo

Banned
I got home right at nine and didn't have the give a fuck necessary to turn on iMPACT. I'm also three weeks behind starting tomorrow on Review an Impact, the real reason I watched iMPACT to begin with. Now tonight we had exactly one person watching TNA

TNA

in

imYdzFPYXzeAP.gif

Alucard

Banned
Watching the Full Metal Mayhem match now.

Spud and EC3 have been the best part of this Impact so far, but I have a feeling this 3-way tag is going to change my mind.

somedevil

Bully Ray posted this on twitter:

Bully Ray @REALBully5150 · 6m 6 minutes ago

Despite not winning tonight, me and @TestifyDevon #Team3D have decided to go after 1 of our other favorite sets of Tag titles...stay tuned.

So does Wrestle-1 have tag titles? If not, is it New Japan or WWE?

If that was your first move, I'd vote "No Confidence" in your ability to lead.

The term "Sports Entertainment" is the least of their problems.

Also I might be in the minority here but, Sports Entertainment isn't exactly the worst term in the world. In fact I think it's quite honest. At it's very core yes they are wrestling but purely for entertainment purposes. It gets too much of a bad stigma for something that isn't offensive at the least.

The best thing about the term Sports Entertainment is that no one uses it expect WWE employees.

30 years of it being pushed yet it has never caught on with anyone outside the company.

Alucard

Banned
We've had the sports entertainment debate before. Terms I've suggested a few times as replacements:

Athletic theatre
Athletic drama
Sports theatre
Sports drama

But sports entertainment works, too. I do wish they would actually use the word "wrestling" more on the shows, though.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I just call it wrasslin'. Because that's what it is. No matter how much Vince tries to make his hillbilly company 'serious.' It's wrasslin' to the people who he wants to impress, and he's never going to win those types over, so he needs to just embrace it.

I don't know, maybe cause I've actually had this conversation at a bar with a bunch of people who just close mindedly say "oh look how fake that is" or why is it called wrestling when it's fake when a Raw replay was playing on the screen. Like I say scripted and they respond by saying, "yeah it's fake" and I say, "No they don't try to really hurt each other but the impact can be real" and they just say it's fake again because they can't think of another argument. And yes I pull out the "Do you watch movies" card. Then I call it sports entertainment in a fit of concession.

Let's just say i'm around assholes all the time. I wish I was Dr Death instead of Dr Duncan sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrX9Ca7LSyQ

I don't know, maybe cause I've actually had this conversation at a bar with a bunch of people who just close mindedly say "oh look how fake that is" or why is it called wrestling when it's fake when a Raw replay was playing on the screen. Like I say scripted and they respond by saying, "yeah it's fake" and I say, "No they don't try to really hurt each other but the impact can be real" and they just say it's fake again because they can't think of another argument. And yes I pull out the "Do you watch movies" card. Then I call it sports entertainment in a fit of concession.

Let's just say i'm around assholes all the time. I wish I was Dr Death instead of Dr Duncan sometimes.

I like watching rougher wrestling around people the best. When they see Shibata spin slap Tanahashi's soul out of his body it conflicts with their idea of wrestling and all they can think is "HOW is this fake?!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrX9Ca7LSyQ

Well, it IS fake. Jackie Chan has broken like every bone in his body but that doesn't mean you suddenly call his movies "scripted" because that brings some class to him putting his body on the line. Trying to defend wrestling against the term "fake" just gets away from he important part of the argument which is: So what? Yeah it's fake, so is 90% of the nonsense on TV. It's people in conflict fake fighting without stunt men. It's gladiator theater + performance art. I don't know why people get so worked up over these things.

Fox318

If that was your first move, I'd vote "No Confidence" in your ability to lead.

The term "Sports Entertainment" is the least of their problems.
That term had gotten pushed more than their talent.

It's indicative that they see their core product as something that needs to be looked down upon or that it's just needed too support their movie buisness.

If the WWE was formed today would it be called the wwf? Or would wrestling even be in the company name?

Because if they want to sell their product solely on it's entertainment and story lines they are gonna get their ass handed to them.

That term had gotten pushed more than their talent.

It's indicative that they see their core product as something that needs to be liked down upon or sprout that it's just needed too support their movie buisness.

If the WWE was formed today would it be called the wwf? Or would wrestling even be in the company name?

Because if they want to sell their product solely on it's entertainment and story lines they are gonna get their ass handed to them.

Considering it's been around since the 80s, and on throughout the Attitude Era, I think it's pretty clear that "sports entertainment" isn't the problem no matter how much they push it. The WWE has terrible, horrible, no good, very bad writers/booking. Point blank, period. That's where the problem starts and ends.

Top Bottom