• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| Running around in our underwear making ugly faces

Alucard

Banned
Few shots from last night.

Probably will never be closer to wrestling action in my life, my seat.
ZYaS5Hu.jpg

Even the booker gets a spot.
kBXHa2O.jpg

The bachelor.
RXHEbUh.jpg

Favorite moment of the night, Jimmy Jacobs comes out and congratulates the bachelor, talks about partying etc. Then starts introducing the next match between ACH and Alexander. He calls ACH a nerd for playing his Gameboy in the back. ACH comes out with his gameboy and poses next to me. He was not playing Smash. Bummed I didn't have my gameboy with me to get a tag.

Overall good show. It was a total comedy night, cracking up the whole time. The heels were way over.

Looks like a fun time. How were the matches?

Sephzilla

Some something 9.99 wwe network joke

i was happy to have friend wwe 9.99 network available to me on my smartphone, tablet, or device the other day when i was on a car trip though. 1999 smackdown was entertaining even if it did eat up a chunk of my monthly data

KissVibes

Banned
I may be going to the Chikara show in Richmond, VA. I hope I'm able to, since I'm moving to Indiana, the odds of seeing my man ULTRAMANTIS BLACK without traveling back here for a Chikara show are very slim. I wanna see him at least once and buy some more merch from him.

How are you doing now?

As far as wrestling goes, the guy in your avatar is on fire. And Edge and Christian did a special on the network for the Smackdown 15th Anniversary.

I'm good now! Thanks for asking. Not really digging my meds, but I feel a lot better than I have in a long time.

I'm glad Edge and Christian did something together for the Smackdown anniversary. Is it worth signing up for the network again to see it?

the rock came back and said he will never leave us again

Did he really say this? Did show up randomly and make bad jokes about someone being a prostitute?

-Bo Dallas beat Mark Henry
-Kofi, Xavier, and Big E are still not present as a team
-Dolph Ziggler won a match and lost some matches

Absolutely absurd.

yet these guys cant get air time

Can't have three black wrestlers getting over as a group without playing up race and making them heels for wanting equality.

Cagey

Banned
The Woods-Kofi-Biggie trio not being on-air yet is a good thing. WWE is letting them hone their gimmick, promos, teamwork, chemistry, etc. at house shows. More importantly, WWE is getting to focus test how they work at house shows and adjustments can be made based on how they work, how the crowd reacts, etc. This should be done with a lot more wrestlers prior to changes, assuming the SWERVE!!! factor isn't paramount to the change. Lastly, it lets the WWE have the luxury of greenlighting them when there's a prime opportunity and knowing that they'll be ready. This is a good thing.

#positivitygimmick

The Woods-Kofi-Biggie trio not being on-air yet is a good thing. WWE is letting them hone their gimmick, promos, teamwork, chemistry, etc. at house shows. More importantly, WWE is getting to focus test how they work at house shows and adjustments can be made based on how they work, how the crowd reacts, etc. This should be done with a lot more wrestlers prior to changes, assuming the SWERVE!!! factor isn't paramount to the change. Lastly, it lets the WWE have the luxury of greenlighting them when there's a prime opportunity and knowing that they'll be ready. This is a good thing.

#positivitygimmick

As much as that all sounds logical, it's more likely just that they don't know how to present three black guys in a stable and not have the focus be on the fact that they are three black guys in a stable.

Kaladin

You know, the more I see, the more I like Charlotte Flair. She reminds me a lot of Sara Del Rey. It's the most I've seen her influence in any wrestler on NXT. Male or female.

Snippet from a new Ambrose interview:

"A lot of people talk about the attitude era being so great but a lot of it was terrible crap, sex jokes and over-the-top terrible bad comedy. It was Jerry Springer-like. They made a joke about a woman's breasts. Hilarious, but where's the wrestling? I look back on a lot of stuff now, and I'm like where's the wrestling? It's just a lot of crappy jokes."

Its insane how the WWE doesn't push their midcard/underused talent.

Why can't TNA try to sign Cena and Kane?

Let them rot there.

TNA doesn't have enough money to sign Samoa Joe or The Wolves right now. Cena, and even Kane for that matter, is several magnitudes above TNA's pay grade.

Past

Is the actual Smackdown show on the WWE Network tonight? I thought they couldn't put the actual show until a certain date because of the TV deals they have.

DMczaf

"A lot of people talk about the attitude era being so great but a lot of it was terrible crap, sex jokes and over-the-top terrible bad comedy. It was Jerry Springer-like. They made a joke about a woman's breasts. Hilarious, but where's the wrestling? I look back on a lot of stuff now, and I'm like where's the wrestling? It's just a lot of crappy jokes."

tumblr_nd8i6bRY7Z1tmzu3ro1_500.png

RP912

Banned
Watching Halloween Havoc 95....Bobby Heenan seem like the only guy that gave a fuck about Paul Wright drowning because of the tyrant Hulk Hogan.

I like ambrose, but I don't get what he's saying, the wrestling was better then too

We had guys like jezza, benoit, angle, eddie, the returning hbk, lesnar...the wrestling was much better. Unless he's specifically going for that 97-00 period or something, but even then the matches meant more. That st valentines day massacre which was literally just austin beating mcmahon round until the Shoe turned up, the dude vs austin (you must conform to mr mcmahons utopia), the dual dx-undertaker/dx-foundation feuds...there was almost always a lot of stuff going on you had to tune in for, which is what is missing now.

They had something interesting going with the wyatts for a while and messed it up feeding them to cena for nothing, now they've practically had to call a reboot and start up with vignettes again. Is that better?

...also hbk humping the canadian flag is forever hilarious

He's right. Even watching the Monday Night Wars it's obvious because the WWE themselves edit and cut that shit to make it look way different and better than it was.

I like ambrose, but I don't get what he's saying, the wrestling was better then too

We had guys like jezza, benoit, angle, eddie, the returning hbk, lesnar...the wrestling was much better. Unless he's specifically going for that 97-00 period or something, but even then the matches meant more. That st valentines day massacre which was literally just austin beating mcmahon round until the Shoe turned up, the dude vs austin (you must conform to mr mcmahons utopia), the dual dx-undertaker/dx-foundation feuds...there was almost always a lot of stuff going on you had to tune in for, which is what is missing now.

They had something interesting going with the wyatts for a while and messed it up feeding them to cena for nothing, now they've practically had to call a reboot and start up with vignettes again. Is that better?

Those aren't "Attitude Era" guys to me. Angle, maybe, but even his best stuff was pretty late in the Attitude Era.

Dean Ambrose using hot dog attacks was obviously a meta-commentary on the attitude era and was a pretty clear slight to the Rock. Not surprising that such rich satire sailed over the heads of the usual suspects here.

RP912

Banned
The Attitude Era is an awkward as fuck watch. WWE was right to not really acknowledge it for a good while there.

Indeed. Shit is overkill cringeworthy to even watch. It's a shame WWE trying to throw the attitude era in people faces because some wrestling fans refuse to take off the Rose goggles but fail to see the superior Ruthless Aggression era.

Kaladin

I'm tempted to watch Hell In A Cell with Ambrose and Rollins getting a spotlight, but Cena...and no Brock....and Bryan is still out.

I'll probably still hold off re-upping my Network sub till November when that will take me through Mania.

strobogo

Banned

Lesnar/returning HBK era was not the Attitude Era. The main Attitude Era was 1998-2000. Really 1998-1999. And the matches DID suck for the most part. TV matches were 3 minute nothings. A lot of PPVs had most of their matches under 10 minutes.

Lesnar/returning HBK era was not the Attitude Era. The main Attitude Era was 1998-2000. Really 1998-1999. And the matches DID suck for the most part. TV matches were 3 minute nothings. A lot of PPVs had most of their matches under 10 minutes.

And most of them were just to set up something else. I was watching some old Raws a couple weeks ago and I was surprised at how few of the matches actually finished.

It's weird watching Rock matches from that era, because everyone remembers him as "the most electrifying man," and it's really just a lot of slow clotheslines and punches until a finisher works. The athletic game in wrestling has stepped up so much in 15 years.

Striker

He's right. Even watching the Monday Night Wars it's obvious because the WWE themselves edit and cut that shit to make it look way different and better than it was.
You mean all they do is produce the material and do the commentary as if they were King Tut and WCW never did anything for the business. Or in some shape or form try to act like Triple H was a bigger star than he really was (i.e. DX invasion segment and writing Triple H as a "cornerstone" of the original DX in '97).

What the era then did was produce characters, storylines and feuds that people cared about, unlike today.

Top Bottom