• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |strobogo Recap OT| This title is held in abeyance

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
tumblr_muh74mLwzA1sr249no1_500.jpg

Replace that US title with the WWE title and you have the main event of WM35.
Bolieve it.

Nice. Angle vs Roode at bound for glory. Gonna be good. Velvet sky and brooke tessmacher in the ring at the same time? I think I can get behind that.
Edit: apparently tapa debuted last week. Didn't know.

I can't imagine how much longer TNA can survive before it implodes. It has made no progress from a marketing perspective in the last ~three years. Its still stuck in the same purgatory.

I also caught up on the best wrestling TV show right now, NXT. Paige/Emma interview was off the hook.

strobogo

Banned
TNA should go all in and do a full on direct parody/rip off of everything WWE is doing.

Dixie and Surge: Triple H and Stephanie
Abyss: Big Show
A8: Shield
Bobby Rooooo: Randy Orton
Austin Aries: CM Punk
Eric Young: Daniel Bryan
Garrett Bischoff: Mad Ox
AJ Styles: Dolph Ziggler
Kaz: Curtis Axel
Jeremy Borash: Paul Heyman
Hernandez: Ryback
Chris Sabin: Kofi Kingston
Daniels: Damien Sandow

Not sure who Hardy, Hogan, Sting, or Angle would be.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
TNA should go all in and do a full on direct parody/rip off of everything WWE is doing.

Dixie and Surge: Triple H and Stephanie
Abyss: Big Show
A8: Shield
Bobby Rooooo: Randy Orton
Austin Aries: CM Punk
Eric Young: Daniel Bryan
Garrett Bischoff: Mad Ox
AJ Styles: Dolph Ziggler
Kaz: Curtis Axel
Jeremy Borash: Paul Heyman
Hernandez: Ryback
Chris Sabin: Kofi Kingston
Daniels: Damien Sandow

Not sure who Hardy, Hogan, Sting, or Angle would be.

Sting can be DA UNDATAKAH and only show up and Wrestlemania.

Hardy can be Cody Rhodes, Hogan can be Hornswaggle. Angle can be Bork.

random observer stuff

Sandow was told no more singing and no more cartwheels

RE: battleground

the problem of making almost the entire roster feel like mid-carders has really taken its toll, because the people react to them the same way. And some of the most talented guys on the roster are falling into the pattern of working to the level of their push. Plus, without good build-up to the matches and the nature of how they book that positions all but a few acts as meaningless, when characters are portrayed as mid-level, it’s difficult at big shows for those matches to get a lot of heat.

speaking of TNA

Austin Aries was on Busted Open radio show and asked about TNA’s popularity going down. He said, “I know why it’s gone and I’ll keep that to myself. I don’t control those decisions. All I can control is what’s in front of me and I feel whatever you put on my tee, I’m going to knock it out of the park. I’ve always felt that way, and the decisions that are made and what’s going to happen creatively, that’s above my pay grade as they say, and quite frankly, it’s not something that I want to stress myself out too much because I’m a passionate guy. I’m an opinionated guy. I love the industry and I‘ve followed it ever since I can remember and I got to control the things that I can control and that’s usually with a microphone in my hand and when I step in between the ropes.” He said the talent turnover is a good thing because it opens up new opportunities and keeps things fresh. He said he hasn’t noticed a difference in the locker room. He also noted that when he was cheered like crazy last year at Bound for Glory, that he told people in the company that would happen and they disagreed with him and he was right and they were wrong. That’s actually true, I did hear that Aries had openly said he was going to get cheered over Hardy at Bound for Glory last year, none of the decision makers believed it because Hardy was the most popular guy at virtually every show he appeared at (unless Hogan was there). But Aries was right. He also said last year he was wrestling with an annular tear in his lower back and a bulging and herniated disc. He believes clear cut good guys and bad guys are over and that everyone is a shade of gray and as long as you have strong, authentic characters people are going to gravitate to the characters they can relate to. He said he believes if you can succeed on top in ROH like Punk, Bryan and himself, you will learn to get over no matter where you are. He said the ability to get over isn’t something you can necessarily teach, and he noted that you either have it or you don’t, and Punk and Bryan had it before and they’ll have it ten years from now. He said that’s why you can’t judge a pro wrestler by a tape measure. He said he’s been judged that way before, and expects he will again, but those people who did, failed in their assessments. It is amazing that Austin Aries was down to the final cut for Tough Enough, and even with his working ability and talking ability, he didn’t even get onto the show. And if he did, we’d all be joking about how they chose Andy Leavine over him. Regarding what happened with Christy Hemme, he said, “That’s a difficult situation. I’m not going to say a whole lot about it but it was an unfortunate event. I’ll just say I was disappointed in the way things were handled in multiple levels and I think I will leave it at that for now.”

[

strobogo

Banned
The only reasoning I can see behind telling Sandow to cut out the cartwheels is they don't want him doing things that will get him face pops. They're probably getting tired of all the heels getting more over than babyfaces (except for ADR). It's something they created themselves, though. WWE drilled it into the audience that legit good guys are tools and you should cheer for the guys who do what they want and generally be shit heads. They did it so hard in the Attitude Era that it bled over to kids who weren't even alive in 1999.

Rock and Austin were the biggest ones, but they also did it with DX, Jericho, Eddie, Cena, Edge, HHH, and a whole host of others. Plus WCW was doing the same thing. And they've definitely encouraged it with every Cena feud since 2006. Daniel Bryan is the first legit good guy to get a main event push probably since Bret in the early 90s.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The only reasoning I can see behind telling Sandow to cut out the cartwheels is they don't want him doing things that will get him face pops. They're probably getting tired of all the heels getting more over than babyfaces (except for ADR). It's something they created themselves, though. WWE drilled it into the audience that legit good guys are tools and you should cheer for the guys who do what they want and generally be shit heads. They did it so hard in the Attitude Era that it bled over to kids who weren't even alive in 1999.

Rock and Austin were the biggest ones, but they also did it with DX, Jericho, Eddie, Cena, Edge, HHH, and a whole host of others. Plus WCW was doing the same thing. And they've definitely encouraged it with every Cena feud since 2006. Daniel Bryan is the first legit good guy to get a main event push probably since Bret in the early 90s.

There were a few "top guys were injured" interim face headliners in that period who were pushed as pure faces and were technically at the top of the card but yeah.

Angle's initial run is the biggest proof of your theory though; he comes in as a pure American baby face and gets booed long before he even begins to start heeling it up. It's true! It's true!

Damien Sandow was told to stop the cartwheels and singing because Aiden English is doing it in NXT now. Vince felt that if a main-roster guy was doing things a developmental guy was doing, it would look make the main-roster guy look bush league.

Miz is actually applying it correctly in those last two gifs, but he looks so fucking sloppy doing it. How do you apply a move correctly and still look terrible?

No more cartwheeling for Sandow genuinely saddens me, gotta tone down those unique movements and become more plain I guess.
If it is based around Aiden English then Sandow just needs to whip up some new tricks.

Miz is actually applying it correctly in those last two gifs, but he looks so fucking sloppy doing it. How do you apply a move correctly and still look terrible?
Surely you already know the answer?

It's Ice Cold Mike the Miz Mizanin.

Aiii

So not worth it
Just reading the results of Impact has me scratching my head.

So the top babyface and #1 contender for the title is in a handicap match thanks to the evil boss in the main event.

Did Impact just fire all of their bookers and started xeroxing the Raw scripts? Did anyone tell them Raw has been quite bad for two months following this exact template?

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Actually, yeah, they did fire all their long term bookers. Right now it's basically some new to wrestling writers, random talent, and no filter like a Prichard or Dreamer.

Top Bottom