• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |strobogo Recap OT| This title is held in abeyance

DominoKid

fJ0MZpi.gif
eDDOXuK.gif
sojpwm3.gif

Aiii

So not worth it
Can't be her wrestling ability, she hasn't improved at all since her debut on NXT Season 3.

It's so weird, I get why they want the eye candy women in their company. I just don't get why they HAVE to have them wrestle. Why can't they have a women's division with wrestlers and have women solely for valet's. They used to do this all the time, but now they all have to wrestle, even if they utterly suck at wrestling.

Only 3 days until the King of Pro-Wrestling returns;

NJPW, "KING OF PRO-WRESTLING", 2013.10.14
Ryogoku Kokugikan, Tokyo

http://www.ustream.tv/njpw - $25

00. Jushin 'Thunder' Liger, Tiger Mask, Manabu Nakanishi & Super Strong Machine vs CHAOS (Takashi Iizuka, YOSHI-HASHI, Jado & Gedo)
01. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Titles: Forever Hooligans (Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov) © vs Suzuki-gun (TAKA Michinoku & Taichi)
02. Grudge Match: Toru Yano vs Minoru Suzuki
03. Tenzan return & Watanabe farewell match: Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Takaaki Watanabe vs K.E.S. (Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr)
04. Special 6-Man Tag: Togi Makabe, Tomoaki Honma & Kota Ibushi vs BULLET CLUB (Prince Devitt, Karl Anderson & Bad Luck Fale)
05. Special Singles Match: Tomohiro Ishii vs Katsuyori Shibata
06. Special Singles Match: Yuji Nagata vs Kazushi Sakuraba
07. NEVER Openweight Title & Tokyo Dome no.1 Contendership: Tetsuya Naito © vs Yujiro Takahashi
08. IWGP Intercontinental Title: Shinsuke Nakamura © vs Naomichi Marufuji
09. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Kazuchika Okada © vs Hiroshi Tanahashi

ib1X80RGH9UDNv.jpg

New Japan haven't actually ever mentioned English commentary - Meltzer got his wires crossed and thought that because they offer ordering info in English, Spanish and Chinese, they must be offering commentary in those languages too. Fact checking in wrestling journalism? Pfffft.

I can't wait for Paige and Emma to get to the main roster hopefully WWE continue hiring women like them. They can keep hiring models too, just have a better ratio of models and wrestlers.

tumblr_mpc7drQVzW1ri0sroo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mobalgJl5A1ri0sroo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mqa06zbJdS1ri0sroo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mqkrcuUI2z1ri0sroo1_500.jpg

9eb64297_TaXEhku.jpeg

paige-en-bikini-wwe-diva-nxt-imagen-vc3ada-twitter-realpaigewwe.jpg

tumblr_mu73sfRUMb1s8j90fo4_500.jpg

Aiii

So not worth it
New Japan haven't actually ever mentioned English commentary - Meltzer got his wires crossed and thought that because they offer ordering info in English, Spanish and Chinese, they must be offering commentary in those languages too. Fact checking in wrestling journalism? Pfffft.

Well that's a shame. :(

Aiii

So not worth it
NXT spoilers for October 23rd through November 13th:
October 23rd Episode:
* Corey Graves explains his previous attack on Adrian Neville. Neville comes out and the two brawl until referees break it up.
* Sasha Banks with Summer Rae defeated Emma ..
* NXT Tag Team Champions The Ascension defeated two local wrestlers.
* Alexander Rusev defeated CJ Parker by submission.
* Sami Zayn talks about losing the NXT Title after JBL re-started the match last week.
* Corey Graves defeated Adrian Neville by submission.

October 30th Episode:
* William Regal and Renee Young are out for commentary.
* Alexander Rusev and Sylvester Lefort defeated Enzo Amore and Big Cass. A new NXT Diva appeared at the top of the ramp after the match.
* Aiden English defeated Jason Jordan.
* Paige defeated Summer Rae with Sasha Banks.
* CJ Parker defeated Tyler Breeze.

November 6th Episode:
* Renee Young interviews JBL backstage. Apparently Sami Zayn has been suspended. Bo Dallas is interviewed and says goodbye to Sami.
* Alexander Rusev defeated Sylvester Lefort.
* Leo Kruger defeated Ricardo Rodriguez.
* The Ascension defeated two local wrestlers who got a good pop.
* Mojo Rawley defeated a local wrestler.
* Luke Harper defeated Kassius Ohno.

November 13th Episode:
* Tensai is on commentary with William Regal.
* Summer Rae and Sasha Banks defeated Charlotte and Bayley after Charlotte turned on her partner. Charlotte posed with Summer and Sasha after the match.
* Aiden English defeated Camacho.
* Mason Ryan squashes Danny Birch.
* Corey Graves vs. Adrian Neville in a 2 of 3 falls match. Neville gets the first pin, Graves gets the second but Neville gets the third pin for the win.

Ithil

The only reasoning I can see behind telling Sandow to cut out the cartwheels is they don't want him doing things that will get him face pops. They're probably getting tired of all the heels getting more over than babyfaces (except for ADR). It's something they created themselves, though. WWE drilled it into the audience that legit good guys are tools and you should cheer for the guys who do what they want and generally be shit heads. They did it so hard in the Attitude Era that it bled over to kids who weren't even alive in 1999.

Rock and Austin were the biggest ones, but they also did it with DX, Jericho, Eddie, Cena, Edge, HHH, and a whole host of others. Plus WCW was doing the same thing. And they've definitely encouraged it with every Cena feud since 2006. Daniel Bryan is the first legit good guy to get a main event push probably since Bret in the early 90s.

The funny thing is Bryan, as a heel from 2011-2012, was pretty much the most casually reprehensible person in the company. Then even as a face, he was a complete egotistical asshole (intentionally, too, not in a Sheamus was). It wasn't until his weak link story and current push that he became a nice guy again.

I can't wait for Paige and Emma to get to the main roster hopefully WWE continue hiring women like them. They can keep hiring models too just keep have a better ratio of models and wrestlers.

The ironic note about things like this is I would consider Paige much better looking than the Bellas, or Aksana, or Eva Marie (at least with that horrible orange tan and luminous hair) or most of the other "model divas". Same goes with Kaitlyn or AJ. So the model divas can't even do that part right.

Lol I love how the other bouncer doesn't even get involved like 'nah he got this'

Who is Mojo Rowley by the way?

I don't think Charlotte has it she looks like she's just doing some form of athletics not wrestling but if Kelly Kelly can forge a career she should manage in time

Ithil

Lol I love how the other bouncer doesn't even get involved like 'nah he got this'

Who is Mojo Rowley by the way?

I don't think Charlotte has it she looks like she's just doing some form of athletics not wrestling but if Kelly Kelly can forge a career she should manage in time

Mojo is a former star college football guy, he was signed in late 2012. Apparently he turned down a major NFL contract for his NXT developmental one, so he must be serious. Anyway, he's not not even a year into his wrestling career so he's very green, but he seems to have some charisma and that's more important to have early on. He's in developmental to learn after all. He just made his TV debut on NXT this week, and apparently management thinks he's got potential to be a big star.

Charlotte was only signed in 2012, too, she's very early days. She has the athleticism, but she's gonna need a long stay to turn that into good wrestling. She certainly has the pedigree, unlike Kelly Kelly.

Charlotte's build and her athleticism put her at a distinct advantage over the ex-model types WWE likes to hire - if she can get the fundamentals down (and with Sara Del Rey as her trainer, there's no reason to think she wont) she could be a big asset for the Divas division.

Aiii

So not worth it
I, for one, can't wait until Charlotte is called up so Michael Cole can say "SHADES OF HER FATHER RIC FLAIR" a million times.

strobogo

Banned
NJPW commentary coming soon by the dream team of Mr. McFlower, Falling Edge, and Mark Madden! You heard it here first! Wrasslegaf exclusive.

NXT spoilers for October 23rd through November 13th:
October 30th Episode:
* William Regal and Renee Young are out for commentary.

A whole episode of Renee Young commentary? The amount of self-deprecation from Regal alone is going to make this the great episode of NXT ever. I also like the fact Ohno and Harper are getting a main event, I really enjoyed their first match despite its short length so it will be interesting to see what they can do with more time.

The funny thing is Bryan, as a heel from 2011-2012, was pretty much the most casually reprehensible person in the company. Then even as a face, he was a complete egotistical asshole (intentionally, too, not in a Sheamus was). It wasn't until his weak link story and current push that he became a nice guy again.

I hate how they turned a compelling character built up over the last few years into the sarcastic twat interpretation of their current mega-face template. His current incarnation should focus on his love for wrestling (as seen in the cena feud) and him being angry for constantly being fucked over, he shouldn't constantly be complimenting Randy over how pretty he is and taking credit for what other people have done.

bjork

The only reasoning I can see behind telling Sandow to cut out the cartwheels is they don't want him doing things that will get him face pops. They're probably getting tired of all the heels getting more over than babyfaces (except for ADR). It's something they created themselves, though. WWE drilled it into the audience that legit good guys are tools and you should cheer for the guys who do what they want and generally be shit heads. They did it so hard in the Attitude Era that it bled over to kids who weren't even alive in 1999.

I always think of this little segment and wonder where it went haywire.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, goddamn at this video - guy picks a fight with a bouncer, it ends badly;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI4J4ty2JjE

Looked like he was going for a backdrop driver, then splat, lol.

I assumed it was a Low Ki video.

Only 3 days until the King of Pro-Wrestling returns;

NJPW, "KING OF PRO-WRESTLING", 2013.10.14
Ryogoku Kokugikan, Tokyo

http://www.ustream.tv/njpw - $25

And heeeeere are my picks! Can't wait for the show, it's gonna be a SCORCHER.

00. Jushin 'Thunder' Liger, Tiger Mask, Manabu Nakanishi & Super Strong Machine vs CHAOS (Takashi Iizuka, YOSHI-HASHI, Jado & Gedo)
01. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Titles: Forever Hooligans (Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov) © vs Suzuki-gun (TAKA Michinoku & Taichi)
02. Grudge Match: Toru Yano vs Minoru Suzuki
03. Tenzan return & Watanabe farewell match: Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Takaaki Watanabe vs K.E.S. (Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr)
04. Special 6-Man Tag: Togi Makabe, Tomoaki Honma & Kota Ibushi vs BULLET CLUB (Prince Devitt, Karl Anderson & Bad Luck Fale) - I think this is where we see BULLET CLUB get phased out or scaled back. Especially with Karl Anderson going to WWE (unconfirmed)
05. Special Singles Match: Tomohiro Ishii vs Katsuyori Shibata - Shibata wins, Ishii is headed back to where he's been :(
06. Special Singles Match: Yuji Nagata vs Kazushi Sakuraba - As much as I'd like to see Nagata win, Sakuraba will take this.
07. NEVER Openweight Title & Tokyo Dome no.1 Contendership: Tetsuya Naito © vs Yujiro Takahashi - yep
08. IWGP Intercontinental Title: Shinsuke Nakamura © vs Naomichi Marufuji - Marufuji is fun but this is NAKAMURA.
09. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Kazuchika Okada © vs Hiroshi Tanahashi - Let's get this CHAOS civil war underway.

strobogo

Banned
legitshook.com

WCW Thunder 4/15/99

El Vampiro vs Buff Bagwell

Buff now has his top hat. Vamp is so weird with no face paint. This would be a semi main event of Nitro in 2000. It's a Thunder opener in 1999. Vamp's weird style confuses the poor Georgia boy. Ugly powerbomb from Buff. That was more Vamp's fault, though. I don't get why they redebuted Vamp with tons of pyro and then left him off shows for a month. Vamp got a ton of offense. Actually, he controlled most of the match. Buff won with the Blockbuster.

i0x09QA09tHMs.gif

Jerry Flynn vs Wrath

This is a toss up. Wrath has been a loser for months, but seems to have restarted his push. Jerry Flynn was getting a push, but then was made to look like a punk by Meng. They fight on the floor. Double count out. I hope this is the start of a feud. Wrath clearly hurt his leg and was having a lot of trouble even standing.

Horace vs Meng

Get out of here. Meng should only be in hardcore matches. They also fought on the floor. Let's hope for another double count out. Sadly, the match continued. Meng won with the Tongan Deathgrip.

TO THE OVAL OFFICE. Flair and Arn are hanging out. They have Charles Robinson do some gopher work. A stage hand comes in and gives Ric some papers to sign. He also hit on her. He signed like 30 pages without even reading them. Arn was concerned. Ric doesn't know why he should read them because he's the president of the United States.

Mikey Whipwreck vs Disco Inferno

Battle of the Stunners! Disco tries to work over the knee, but Mikey has ARM DRAGS. Lariatoo. Mikey gets thrown to the floor as Smackdown rolls on. Mikey is in control when we come back. He almost wins with a flying lariatoo. Superfly splash is missed. Piledriver. Mikey kicks out. Spinning neck breaker. Disco takes a long time to make the pin. Larry and Tony doing commentary is the worst. Fucking Larry. He can't even remember names of wrestlers. He's an announcer. Isn't it his JOB to at least know the names of guys in the ring? Rocker dropper from Mikey. Spinning neck breaker of his own. Disco wins with an interesting set up to the Last Dance.

itESfEOFwZ8rz.gif

ibvrMD6CsF9klH.gif

TO THE MEAN GENE. The B Team are his guests. Stevie is finally in charge and everyone seems to accept it now. He says the B Team is going to police wrestling like they were always supposed to. Hogan is a PUNK because he's out hurt. Nash is making deals behind their backs. Steiner is hurt. Lex is a primadonna. Stevie wants the WCW Championship. Fuck it, give it to him. I support him if he's going to goof on Hogan and Nash. DDP is a no good modern day beatnik FRUIT BOOTY. He suggests DDP leave Kim at home or else he will pimp slap two people tonight. Lol. Stevie is great as long as he doesn't wrestle. He's even making fun of DDP's reliance on SCUM in promos. Promo of the year. For real. It was great.

Disorderly Conduct vs Raven/Saturn

I like this version of Raven and Saturn more than the Flock version, which was also pretty good. DO actually got a lot of offense on Saturn. Raven is over like a motherfucker. He gets the hot tag and people went nuts. Evenflow for the win.

Recap of possible problems with Kidman/Rey.

Juventud Guerrera vs Rey Mysterio Jr. WCW Cruiserweight Championship

This is their normal match. Rey won with a run up super rana.

ibqyfV7AMyyYbR.gif

TO THE OVAL OFFICE. Flair and Charles Robinson are talking. Arn comes in and wasn't able to find the woman who had Flair signing papers. Flair doesn't seem to see the problem with ANYTHING, because he's the boss.

Stevie Ray vs DDP WCW Championship

Wait a second, I think Larry just called Stevie "Mud Brother". What the fuck? DDP brings Kim. That YAK is gonna get pimp slapped. DDP knocks Stevie to the floor and then dives on both Stevie and VINCE. They brawl all the way to the announce position. It finally goes back to the ring. Stevie is now in control. Lariatoo. DDP gets out of the Slapjack. Kanyon Cutter! BANG! Title retained. VINCE jumped DDP after the match. Horace and Crush soon followed. DDP fought them all off. So, is he a face or a heel?

DQ Count:
0 out of 7 matches, but there was a double count out.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Whipwreck looked like such a piece of shit in the ring. Who the fuck wrestles in that.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Fave Five Prettiest FACES in Wrestling (that can go both ways)

5. Paul Orndorff in the 70s
4. Paul Roma
3. Disco Inferno
2. Juventud Guerrera
1. John Cena

Wrasslegaf fave five

1. Bootaaay
2. Sunflower
3. fallingedge
4. KenOd
5. Stro

Also, finally finished BOLA 2013. So good. No idea if bootaaay has giffed it up yet, but if he hasnt ill try to get abunch up the weekend

i love you too buddy <3

pwg for life <3

strobogo

Banned
Fave Five Prettiest FACES in Wrestling (that can go both ways)

5. Paul Orndorff in the 70s
4. Paul Roma
3. Disco Inferno
2. Juventud Guerrera
1. John Cena

So, you're really into strong jaws and Mexican women. That makes sense to me.

Fave Five Prettiest Male Faces in Wrestling

1. Ricky Steamboat
2. Fandango
3. Cody Rhodes
4. Brad Mad Ox
5. Kevin Nash

Fave Five Prettiest Female Faces in Wrestling

1. Stacy Keibler
2. Gorgeous George
3. Aksana
4. Layla
5. Trish Stratus

I had no idea or I forgot that Whipwreck was in WCW. I guess I don't remember much from WCW in 99. IS that when they rebranded the company with that new shitty logo?

strobogo

Banned
I had no idea or I forgot that Whipwreck was in WCW. I guess I don't remember much from WCW in 99. IS that when they rebranded the company with that new shitty logo?

Yes. April 5th was the first show with the spaceship logo. The previous week on Nitro, Hogan and DDP had a crazy brawl that destroyed part of the old set. Mikey didn't last very long. Only a few months.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So, you're really into strong jaws and Mexican women. That makes sense to me.

Fave Five Prettiest Male Faces in Wrestling

1. Ricky Steamboat
2. Fandango
3. Cody Rhodes
4. Brad Mad Ox
5. Kevin Nash

Fave Five Prettiest Female Faces in Wrestling

1. Stacy Keibler
2. Gorgeous George
3. Aksana
4. Layla
5. Trish Stratus

Maddox has a great face, I agree. Same with Cody. Nash...undecided on how I feel.

Gorgeous George! Man, I remember when I was a kid, that was the hottest goddamn woman I'd ever seen. That was before I understood how makeup worked.

Charlotte's build and her athleticism put her at a distinct advantage over the ex-model types WWE likes to hire - if she can get the fundamentals down (and with Sara Del Rey as her trainer, there's no reason to think she wont) she could be a big asset for the Divas division.

Yeah at the minute she's just a little awkward but is in the right place to develop for sure

This weeks commentary made me laugh Rene says how she wants to get away from being Rics daughter whilst she's wooing in the ring

I'm just grateful they haven't done the stupid thing and given her the figure four etc

The football guy seems decent for a start up not keen on the finisher he seems too small for it but at this stage he cam go through various ones without anyone noticing, hell give him the pounce its a little obvious for a football guy but people pop for it, I also like the English guy he was up against billed as a west ham fan so you should mark for him lol

Anyway PCW tonight and now I'm going to Infinite promotions in Liverpool tomorrow as well

strobogo

Banned
Maddox has a great face, I agree. Same with Cody. Nash...undecided on how I feel.

Gorgeous George! Man, I remember when I was a kid, that was the hottest goddamn woman I'd ever seen. That was before I understood how makeup worked.

Big Sexy was legit. Nash was a damn handsome man. George was stunning when she didn't over do the make up and I'm not really into the blonde bimbo look at all.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know about my list...

But Miss Elizabeth deserves an honorable mention.

Elizabeth to me was always "mother-pretty" - she felt like an older woman. Which I guess she kinda was. I dunno.

EDIT:

Shit, Alex Wright should have been on my list.

Kaladin

Wrestling Shirts in Public #2
Shirt: DGUSA Shirt

FajG8qm.jpg

Casual Friday, casual wrestling shirt. One of my favs.

That doesn't even look like a wrasslin shirt though. It's more like a Japanese fan boy shirt.

My TNA hat that I wear out on the other hand, is a wrasslin item but at the same time, it's a trucker hat and people expect random redneck shit on a trucker hat.

Top Bottom