• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |strobogo Recap OT| This title is held in abeyance

strobogo

Banned
I know things are about to drop off hard, but so far 1999 has been better than 1998. Outside of one or two bad shows (mostly the Nitro with the field beat down and zero in arena action in the first hour, which is one of the worst shows in my entire WCW watching), 1999 has been better than 1998 at just about everything. The difference between the last 3 months of 1998 and the first 4 months of 1999 is pretty staggering.

Things I don't like about Nash's booking style:

Backstage segments that happened during matches, which seem to have stopped.
Announcers not seeing/acknowledging certain backstage segments/videos
First hour of Nitro having little to no action of any kind in the arena
Riki Rachtman
DJ Ran

Thinks I like about Nash's booking style:

Controlled chaos. Shows have an excitement and aura of anything can happen in a way that 1998 just didn't have
Rey Mysterio's push as a legit star, including being a double champion
Konnan's sudden depush and absence on shows
Disco's push
Goldberg being given something to do and having longer matches
Hardcore division
Raven and Saturn getting back together as goofy faces with a hard edge to them
Benoit/Malenko being mean dick heads
Lil Naitch
No Kidman vs Juvi matches

Crowds were definitely responding to his style. They've had some of the loudest crowds in the last 2-3 months than at any point in WCW history. But knowing what's coming up is a bummer. It's all about to drop off a cliff. Nash vs Savage, Buff vs Piper, No Limit Soldiers. Ugh.

Heh, apparently Quack's pissed that people (very easily) figured out that Janiya was Saturyne unmasked on WSU's iPPV last night;

ZfjN5GF.jpg

Just another excuse to mention my all-time favourite Quack story; when he made his girlfriend sleep on the couch because she revealed the identity of Darkness Crabtree to her parents. Kayfabe lives!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Just another excuse to mention my all-time favourite Quack story; when he made his girlfriend sleep on the couch because she revealed the identity of Darkness Crabtree to her parents. Kayfabe lives!

Takes up residence next to all Low Ki stories. There's a lot of great stories I'll always remember.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Probably did it so he could fuck Saturyne in their bed.

tm24

Heh, apparently Quack's pissed that people (very easily) figured out that Janiya was Saturyne unmasked on WSU's iPPV last night;

ZfjN5GF.jpg
Wait, he's pissed that we figured that out now? I thought we knew that 2 years ago when we found her facebook

ZfjN5GF.jpg

So stupid. So goddamn stupid. I've got stupid CHIKARA stories out the yinyang.

And who cares at this point?!

Takes up residence next to all Low Ki stories. There's a lot of great stories I'll always remember.

Like the one where him and Cide threatened a dude at knife point? :p

Probably did it so he could fuck Saturyne in their bed.

*headdesk*

strobogo

Banned
Fixed a bike up and rode to a CVS because I had a free Redbox rental. This is my first time going back to DVD after bluray. Jesus fuck. Wish I hadn't already. It was a good ride, though. I didn't realize there was a full redneck enclave (even by Indiana standards) not even a mile away from my neighborhood. Lots of Fox News/fuck Obama/fuck black people/god and guns bumper stickers, Don't Tread On Me flags, and one house that had all of the windows plastered with Heath Ledger Joker posters. Whoever lives there scares me.

DMczaf

Fixed a bike up and rode to a CVS because I had a free Redbox rental. This is my first time going back to DVD after bluray. Jesus fuck. Wish I hadn't already. It was a good ride, though. I didn't realize there was a full redneck enclave (even by Indiana standards) not even a mile away from my neighborhood. Lots of Fox News/fuck Obama/fuck black people/god and guns bumper stickers, Don't Tread On Me flags, and one house that had all of the windows plastered with Heath Ledger Joker posters. Whoever lives there scares me.

I bet they watch wrestling too.

G-Fex

What the Fuck did I just watch?

I understood 2001 more clearly than I understood Dune.

CM Punk's currently storyline makes more sense to me.

What the Fuck did I just watch?

I understood 2001 more clearly than I understood Dune.

CM Punk's currently storyline makes more sense to me.

Ah, Dune...I fucking love that film. I'd suggest reading the books, even though that will probably make you hate the film and question what the fuck David Lynch was on when making it. But, his version is easier to make sense of with the surrounding backstory of the books.

Basically, prophecy says that one day a male Benne Gesserit will be born and that he'll be able to see all futures and then lead the galaxy down the path to the most beneficial future (with the Benne Gesserits in control). Although the Benne Gesserits can see some futures, their arrogance leads them to believe they can manipulate the prophecy as they see fit, intending for Jessica to have only daughters so that one of the daughters can marry a Harkonen and then their son will become the Kwisatz Haderach of prophecy, uniting house Harkonen & house Atreides. However, Jessica falls in love with Leto Atreides and gives him a son, Paul, or Maud'dib as he'd later be known. Once the Benne Gesserits realise, they try and manipulate Paul, but once they realise he is beyond their control they then scheme to eliminate him, only to discover that it's already too late and Paul has realised his destiny as the Kwisatz Haderach.

G-Fex

Ah, Dune...I fucking love that film. I'd suggest reading the books, even though that will probably make you hate the film and question what the fuck David Lynch was on when making it. But, his version is easier to make sense of with the surrounding backstory of the books.

Basically, prophecy says that one day a male Benne Gesserit will be born and that he'll be able to see all futures and then lead the galaxy down the path to the most beneficial future (with the Benne Gesserits in control). Although the Benne Gesserits can see some futures, their arrogance leads them to believe they can manipulate the prophecy as they see fit, intending for Jessica to have only daughters so that one of the daughters can marry a Harkonen and then their son will become the Kwisatz Haderach of prophecy, uniting house Harkonen & house Atreides. However, Jessica falls in love with Leto Atreides and gives him a son, Paul, or Maud'dib as he'd later be known. Once the Benne Gesserits realise, they try and manipulate Paul, but once they realise he is beyond their control they then scheme to eliminate him, only to discover that it's already too late and Paul has realised his destiny as the Kwisatz Haderach.

Thank you for clearing that up. I kinda sorta figured out the last part later. I just find it a lot to take in. None the less it wasn't boring or anything. I just not feeling it. But none the less it's got a nice resolution and harkonen baron was pretty gross.

See, it makes perfect sense, G-Fex.

I know. Duh me.

Thank you for clearing that up. I kinda sorta figured out the last part later. I just find it a lot to take in.

Definitely, I remember being confused as hell the first time I watched it - Dune isn't a book that lends itself well to cinema and Lynch doesn't make it any easier on the viewer. He shot 5 hours of footage in total for the film and the running time was originally intended to be 4+ hours! The producers insisted it be cut down to size, which probably goes some way to explaining why it's pretty confusing.

Despite it's problems, I'm certain no one but Lynch could have nailed the style and atmosphere of Dune, which is easily my favourite aspect of the film.

G-Fex

Definitely, I remember being confused as hell the first time I watched it - Dune isn't a book that lends itself well to cinema and Lynch doesn't make it any easier on the viewer. He shot 5 hours of footage in total for the film and the running time was originally intended to be 4+ hours! The producers insisted it be cut down to size, which probably goes some way to explaining why it's pretty confusing.

Despite it's problems, I'm certain no one but Lynch could have nailed the style and atmosphere of Dune, which is easily my favourite aspect of the film.

That's definitely true cause you can't say that the movie is generic it's anything but. Especially for it's time.

If I ever get into books later I'll give Dune a read Boots.

Pop-GAF scares the shit out of me.

Clock and sip tea time DM

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Dune was great visually. Especially if you get the one with the extra hour added on to it that showed a lot more.

I always loved the Dune books, but most people who do hate the film - but I don't. I think visually it provided a huge, grand future and has a lot of similarities to the Imperium from 40k in the design. Lots of gold!

Sunflower and Bootaaay, i bring a gift for thee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFbbvecfnqE

enjoy.

Hooooly shit this is a blast from the past! I had this on an old tape a friend of mine's older brother made for me when I was getting in to metal at like 13. Never did find out their name! Amazing find, you've made my day! :D

DMczaf

Quack is such a mark for himself that it hurts. Even Hogan would tell him that it's all a work, brotherjackdude.

I've noticed that these indie guys who are huge marks for themselves usually don't ever do anything with their careers.

They'd rather be huge fish in small ponds their entire careers. Or in Low Ki's case, tiny fish in no pond.

strobogo

Banned
At least Punk has a somewhat legitimate reason to be a mark for himself. Quack doesn't at all, yet thinks he's Vince McMahon or something. There is only one Vince McMahon, and his name is Sunflower, damn it.

Vince-McMahon2.jpg

Top Bottom