• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |strobogo Recap OT| This title is held in abeyance

So true, I wonder if WWE have noticed yet that this really doesn't work, I still make fun of their attempts to do this with Miz and his ICE COLD attitude for like 3 weeks.

Regardless of balls being potentially dropped by WWE and not ADR I just can't bring myself to care about ADR anymore, he's spent so much time in upper card spots with all those accolades yet still remains uninteresting outside of his admittedly solid matches, his fault or not I just want to see some others put in his place because ADR has gotten incredibly monotonous to me.
Of course it would help if they leveraged his Mexican Aristocrat gimmick for story purposes instead of just driving cars to the ring and having a personal announcer...oh yeah, he doesn't have either of those things anymore, damn it WWE.

Yeah, even though it's not really his fault, they've killed my interest in him. Barrett, too, really, though he might be salvagable. I don't think a repackaging would get me interested in Ryback again though. They had something going with the bully thing, but they dropped it to make him a shitty generic heavy who puts on shitty matches.

get me interested in your characters, wwe

Striker

Go back four or so years and look at who was centering around the WWE title, and see who, as a heel, got at the very least a decent run at it. You won't find many people headlining it. The only heel, shockingly, who's gotten enough booking to warrant a decent build was Randy Orton. You didn't see Miz getting any big wins; beating up Lawler or John Morrison? Sheamus got wins by DQ and shoddy results. Not Del Rio. No one else. You were only seeing that in the WHC picture once Triple H wasn't apart of it and Batista left Smackdown. Save Punk (who I'm putting as a rarity), the WWE title is Orton and Cena's title. It's been their belt for the past 5+ years.

Yeah, even though it's not really his fault, they've killed my interest in him. Barrett, too, really, though he might be salvagable. I don't think a repackaging would get me interested in Ryback again though. They had something going with the bully thing, but they dropped it to make him a shitty generic heavy who puts on shitty matches.

get me interested in your characters, wwe

I find the main thing that kills a lot of star potential is the lack of any microphone time and midcard storylines, Barrett was a lot more interesting in his early WWE days as the Nexus Leader than he is now as Brawler Barrett who just ambles around the midcard with no direction and it's pretty clear why.
Ah to go back to 2000 where it was like everyone had some sort of reason to be present on an episode of Raw, why are they incapable of returning to this approach? it's still better now then it was a few years ago but barely, the tag team division shifts in and out of focus every few months but I guess that having a division at all is an improvement.

Speaking of stories the WHC in general gets surrounded by the most barebones of title feuds, it's like all the plot attention is focused on the WWE title and Raw side of things, leaves me kind of intrigued to see what happens if Cena does get a hold on the WHC again since that would mean giving it some actual attention because Cena.

Kaladin

Fuck it, I went ahead and got Arkham Origins. 2k14 is going to have to wait. I got Origins on PC too....Steam pre-load + $10 Amazon credit is too much to pass up.

strobogo

Banned
The Cena/Ryback matches were really good hosses throwing each other around matches, they just had bad finishes. I think he's Warrior level where he can be in something good as long as he has a good agent and a guy to drag him along for the ride. He needs a Pat Patterson.

I find the main thing that kills a lot of star potential is the lack of any microphone time and midcard storylines, Barrett was a lot more interesting in his early WWE days as the Nexus Leader than he is now as Brawler Barrett who just ambles around the midcard with no direction and it's pretty clear why.
Ah to go back to 2000 where it was like everyone had some sort of reason to be present on an episode of Raw, why are they incapable of returning to this approach? it's still better now then it was a few years ago but barely, the tag team division shifts in and out of focus every few months but I guess that having a division at all is an improvement.

Speaking of stories the WHC in general gets surrounded by the most barebones of title feuds, it's like all the plot attention is focused on the WWE title and Raw side of things, leaves me kind of intrigued to see what happens if Cena does get a hold on the WHC again since that would mean giving it some actual attention because Cena.

For a dude who's supposed to be an intimidating brawler who'll beat the shit out of ya he lost to fucking everyone. Miz, Orton, Jericho, SIN CARA. Same with Cesaro, with basically those same people. They just put titles on them and then let them flounder doing fuck all. And yeah talking is probably what Barrett's best at, but naw, can't have that shit. No time for storylines, Sheamus needs to beat someone tonight so he can look good in whatever shitty feud he's in.

It's a point that's driven into the ground but heels never are allowed to gain any momentum, and they must always look like cowards who just can't win at anything, and no one is allowed to look good until they turn face. I think Orton and maybe Shield are the exceptions, but I still can't care about Orton. Dude's just so boring to me. It's all frustrating. Makes the product boring to think about, and makes me wonder why I'm even watching. fuckin bookers man

strobogo

Banned
Basically, WWE needs clear levels of main eventers, upper mid card, mid card, jobbers to the stars, and enhancement talent. Like they did before the Attitude Era. Not Cena/main eventers, and everyone who isn't them being all on the same level trading wins every week.

You mean like everyone ever besides maybe Punk? No one escapes that vortex.

1988-1992 is so comfortable because everything is so...focused. Stories were laid out well in advance and played out the way they should unless some one got hurt or fired. There weren't a lot of things that went for a few weeks and was dropped and not mentioned again. Or month long feuds since they didn't have to have a PPV every month. It's all so bright and colorful without being overly clean and sterile like today. The wrestlers felt like real characters (I'm not even talking about the overly cartoon characters that came later) as opposed to no one even having gimmicks today. The way it is shot is so much more engaging than today. You add in the best commentary teams ever and it is just...comfortable. Sure, there are a lot better matches today, but that era wasn't about work rate classics.

One of my finest memories is watching WCW when DDP was broke, and was caught on cam washing cars. Kimberly stole all his money.

Such good times. God what year was that 1993

DMczaf

Those SHIELD fanboys are something else. At least when Raw ratings are tanking, we accept it, shake its hand and move on to the next week.

G-Fex

Those SHIELD fanboys are something else. At least when Raw ratings are tanking, we accept it, shake its hand and move on to the next week.

I quit that thread hard DM. I got sick of those people REAL fast.

I still watch the show though, but I'll never step into that nightmare of a thread again.

strobogo

Banned
Sandow went to Puerto Rico for a few years after that super short run on Smackdown with Michelle McCool in 2006ish. I think he learned a lot more from there than he ever did with WWE developmental. I remember well before Sandow debuted, JR had an interview talking about how much money they've spent on a guy like him with no return on the investment and how silly it was.

DMczaf

1378894_712801368748359_1940508799_n.jpg

Aiii

So not worth it
Hoping once they get to the episodes written after the critiques came out SHIELD will focus more on actual superheroes from the expanded Marvel universe. It's entertaining so far so I'll keep watching.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Sandow went to Puerto Rico for a few years after that super short run on Smackdown with Michelle McCool in 2006ish. I think he learned a lot more from there than he ever did with WWE developmental. I remember well before Sandow debuted, JR had an interview talking about how much money they've spent on a guy like him with no return on the investment and how silly it was.
WWE developmental must be shit if Ryback stuck around for so long and still can't really wrestle.

Caught you!

This is Pimpwerx's alt! GOT YOU BRONSONLEE! YOUR FINGERPRINTS ARE ALL OVER IT!

Yo that dude says that at the end of every damn post. Even if it doesn't fit at all. Makes me want to throw shit :p

And dmc, you have to remember that ivy's not really a SHIELD guy so much as all encompassing ratings guy. That's his bag.

You say 4 weeks of declines, but it really comes off more like the show is holding there where it's at (the 2.6 area). And yeah its DVR things are monstrous.

But go say this shit in the damn TV thread!

G-Fex

I'm not going to beat around the bush,

go fuck yourself WWE.

Yo that dude says that at the end of every damn post. Even if it doesn't fit at all. Makes me want to throw shit :p

That's a good idea Bronson. I should use that.

Anyway trading a bunch of shit in yesterday including GTA V I got a movie and since I didn't get the movie I wanted I got itunes card to buy the movie on itunes store.

I also have 30 dollars credit for gamestop. I was real tempted to buy the madden game for the 3DS but I dont' know...

Sincerely,

Nobody

That's a good idea Bronson. I should use that.

Anyway trading a bunch of shit in yesterday including GTA V I got a movie and since I didn't get the movie I wanted I got itunes card to buy the movie on itunes store.

I also have 30 dollars credit for gamestop. I was real tempted to buy the madden game for the 3DS but I dont' know...

Sincerely,

Nobody

Yo I will tackle you straight up if you do :p

And GET DAT AA5 or Pokemon

strobogo

Banned
All those SHIELD people don't even know what they want. The same people want 5 different shows in one and aren't happy with any of them. They want it to be full of super heroes and action, which isn't the point of the show. They want X-Files like myth arcs, which they haven't really had time to set up in FOUR episodes. They want something super serious even though the movies are probably 60% lighthearted quips. They want great acting, despite most of the movies having 2-3 people the whole movie who are good. They expect a show that was fast tracked and only has 4 episodes to be excellent and top shelf right away. When is the last time a new network show didn't start off rocky? And when is the last time a network show started that had to work around 8 movies and story points?

ohhhhhhhhhh

you guys are talking about show.

I thought you were talking about The Shield. I was confused because I don't remember seeing another wrestling thread that was Shield specific.

G-Fex

All those SHIELD people don't even know what they want. The same people want 5 different shows in one and aren't happy with any of them. They want it to be full of super heroes and action, which isn't the point of the show. They want X-Files like myth arcs, which they haven't really had time to set up in FOUR episodes. They want something super serious even though the movies are probably 60% lighthearted quips. They want great acting, despite most of the movies having 2-3 people the whole movie who are good. They expect a show that was fast tracked and only has 4 episodes to be excellent and top shelf right away. When is the last time a new network show didn't start off rocky? And when is the last time a network show started that had to work around 8 movies and story points?

Basically, they're a bunch of wonks, knobs, and grandmaster of the most prestigious title of "Entitled twerp dorky nerds"

Basically, the fanboy marks are the worst stro old pal.
Or just use a credit/debit card. Probably a lot easier.

Oh wait, does Fex have one of those? I think I remember him saying he didn't way back on an NWA stream or something.

I don't, especially not now since I'm broke and out of work. I did however in the past months buy paypal green spot cards to pay for....things.

G-Fex

Stro...other posters don't talk to me the same, my sisters kids won't talk to me the same. Even my GF doesn't want to talk to me the same right now.

You know, Sunflower was a friend of mine.

and...and they put ban rods in his neck and he may never post again.

..and and now there's snitching going on and stuff..and..

I don't care about the wrasslegaf t-shirt mafia, I just want us to be buddies again.

ib2GOsDvl1TleZ.gif

strobogo

Banned
Stro...other posters don't talk to me the same, my sisters kids won't talk to me the same. Even my GF doesn't want to talk to me the same right now.

You know, Sunflower was a friend of mine.

and...and they put ban rods in his neck and he may never post again.

..and and now there's snitching going on and stuff..and..

I don't care about the wrasslegaf t-shirt mafia, I just want us to be buddies again.

ib2GOsDvl1TleZ.gif

You tell your sister's kids to tell you you're still fired.

jmdajr

My 1 1/2 year old attacked me with the bronco buster the other day.

I think pretty soon I won't be watching wrestling on Monday nights.

Top Bottom