• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |strobogo Recap OT| This title is held in abeyance

Dave Meltzer says TNA is officially now up for sale. From the premium podcast:

"here's a lot of moves that are being done behind the scenes. There are - you know - no matter what anyone is going to say right now, and, there's big things going on behind the scenes as far as the future behind the scenes as far as the future ownership of the company, and at that point, god only knows where it goes. I mean, there's people looking to get in and the Carters are looking to get out. I think, you - they've lost enough money and all that, and you know as far as what that means, who knows. But they've been looking to get out for a while. Now everyone is going to scream at me and what, but that's a 100%. That's the stuff they don't want you know.

So meltzer is saying TNA might actually be up for sale. Cool

Do you think WWE would even bother with it though?

I could see it being a good investment if they got it for real cheap and they immediately fired everyone over 30 expect 3-5 older guys as agents like Samoa Joe.

Maybe the new WWE TNA could invade NXT. (I am being serious)

I think the likely outcome is Bishoff and some investees buying it and it eventually dying.

And Bryan isnt going to be taken serious until he loses the beard. Just trim it. Style it. Stop looking like a hobo for god sake.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
There's no reason for WWE to buy TNA.

If there was someone they wanted, they could have got them already. No one gives a shit about TNA LEGEND STING FOOTAGE. The most I could see WWE being interested in is Daniels as a trainer or something, maybe giving Kaz another shot, something with Sting, and maybe Punk can switch out Punk's friend contract for Kofi with Joe. And Kurt if he, LOL, cleans up.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I think that's the gist of it. The title being in abeyance for 2 months means absolutely nothing when Orton wins it on a screw job as the conclusion. They should have had Orton win with a screw job at NoC then have the storyline actually move forward.

Or have Bryan win it and prove just how good he is by overcoming everything HHH throws at him.

Make it about how a plain, ordinary man, loved by the people, wins them over and overcomes adversity, even as the corporate executives try time and time again to fuck him over.

The matter-of-fact "Daniel Bryan simply can't be the face of the company, isn't good enough, and wouldn't be right for business" angle simply doesn't work, not in kayfabe on a meta-level. The fans love Bryan, and see how good he is in the ring, and how he makes every shitty angle/character swerve he's given work And in kayfabe, he's a top-tier wrestler and does everything the company has asked of him (and this is also true not in kayfabe, as well).

The focus should be on the personal grudge. The HHH that cut that promo where he basically said "When WWE is in town, I run it, it belongs to me, and what I say goes" early on in the feud, THAT'S the kind of angle they should be going for.

Whereas Stone Cold was the lowest-common denominator kind of redneck type, and the appeal was seeing him get one over the big boss executive, Daniel Bryan is the perfect professional, capable, willing, and able to perform every step of the way, but who just doesn't have the corporate connections to get that promotion, that recognition, that role he so apparently deserves.

Toki767

I think the most likely buyer would be Spike TV themselves. Who else would even have the money that wants that TV timeslot really?

SoulPlaya

more money than God
What's fucked up is that I'm honestly starting to believe that the crowd really doesn't care about Bryan. They just like saying, "Yes!"

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
What's fucked up is that I'm honestly starting to believe that the crowd really doesn't care about Bryan. They just like saying, "Yes!"

I told you all. He's just a more successful Fandango.
Unlike Stone Cold who got over THEN the catchphrases got over.

Dthomp

So how would that explain the Daniel Bryan chants? The guy is the best wrestler on the roster and is being handled fine. Golden boy Cena can't due shit for these ratings going against football and idiot writers any more then Bryan could. Bad PPV is bad, doesn't mean it is DBrys fault

SoulPlaya

more money than God
So how would that explain the Daniel Bryan chants? The guy is the best wrestler on the roster and is being handled fine. Golden boy Cena can't due shit for these ratings going against football and idiot writers any more then Bryan could. Bad PPV is bad, doesn't mean it is DBrys fault
Crowd was also chanting, "We Want Kane!"

Give Kane the belt.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
He may, but a lot of what helped repair the Punk damage was how they gave him the belt and let him run with it. I can almost guarantee that they will not do that with Bryan.
They didn't repair any damage with Punk. He could have been the next Stone Cold, and they destroyed it. Now, he's just another "Not Cena" face.

Dthomp

I don't know how completely fucked up Kurt Angle is, but I would love to see the WWE jump on buying TNA just for a 1-2 year part time run with my Olympic Hero. It's True, It's Damn True!!!

GaimeGuy

Nah, both Bryan and Punk have gotten some absolutely HUMONGOUS pops (and Ziggler, too).

Vince just doesn't know how to book things properly any more. They rush things that should be slow burned, and when they should strike while the iron is hot, they opt instead to have dead-end finishes for 3-4 PPVs before putting things on the backburner until the Rumble/Mania. And they preempt things that they should just let develop naturally (fandangoing, anyone?)

I think the problem is that they can't decide if they want to have a team of writers, or a single booker. They'll have creative come up with things and then Vince, Steph, Hayes, or HHH will just throw it all out (though I've heard HHH does this very little because he makes sure everyone's on the same page first).

Either can the creative dept and have one guy call all the shots, or let the writers do their thing and the execs provide input from a distance.

For the most part, NXT works because HHH gives Dusty all the pieces he needs, and the reign to do with them as he pleases (though HHH also works to develop the storylines, characters, and angles alongside dusty).

A broom could be above most faces on the roster.

I mean in the eyes of most fans. And that is what we are judging, right? I don't think he could have ever been "the next Stone Cold" the business isn't hot enough for that to happen and, as much as I love Punk, it'd take much more than him getting pushed right to get it hot enough for him to achieve that level of popularity/success.

Dthomp

As far as the TNA sale goes, I'll chip in the first $100 towards the purchase of this trash. Lets fix this company!

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I mean in the eyes of most fans. And that is what we are judging, right? I don't think he could have ever been "the next Stone Cold" the business isn't hot enough for that to happen and, as much as I love Punk, it'd take much more than him getting pushed right to get it hot enough for him to achieve that level of popularity/success.
Are you kidding? Punk was getting primetime ESPN mentions during that summer. He was massively over, and they had HHH beat him, and never had a return match, lol.

GaimeGuy

I don't know how completely fucked up Kurt Angle is, but I would love to see the WWE jump on buying TNA just for a 1-2 year part time run with my Olympic Hero. It's True, It's Damn True!!!

WWE would most likely fire him.

The reason why he was let go in the first place is because WWE wanted him to get help.

WWE basically said "We're letting your contract expire so you can go and get your life straightened out. You're killing yourself and your marriage, and are psychologically, physically, and emotionally a wreck, and addicted to painkillers more than anyone on the roster. After you get some help, you are welcome to return, but the only one that can change Kurt Angle, is Kurt Angle. Good luck."

Instead, Kurt jumped straight to TNA. Wrestling has become his addiction and the way he escapes from all his problems. :/

Are you kidding? Punk was getting primetime ESPN mentions during that summer. He was massively over, and they had HHH beat him, and never had a return match, lol.

No, I'm not. I would have loved to see him pushed right, but it would not have moved ratings on any sort of permanent basis. His segments may have been talked about/loved and gotten high ratings, but being a star on the level of SCSA entails being a top star on a hot show. And I think the show as a whole was not at a high enough level for that to happen.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

The reason why he was let go in the first place is because WWE wanted him to get help.

WWE basically said "We're letting your contract expire so you can go and get your life straightened out. You're killing yourself and your marriage, and are psychologically, physically, and emotionally a wreck, and addicted to painkillers more than anyone on the roster. After you get some help, you are welcome to return, but the only one that can change Kurt Angle, is Kurt Angle. Good luck."

Instead, Kurt jumped straight to TNA. Wrestling has become his addiction and the way he escapes from all his problems. :/
To be fair, WWE's not entirely innocent in this. Kurt said it and other wrestlers have said if. It you take time off, your spot's not guaranteed to ever come back to you. I mean, hell, look at Ziggler.

Dthomp

True, but maybe they could force him into some type of program. I just don't want Angle to go out with a wimper in TNA. He deserves a small run, followed up by being the GM of Raw and entering the HoF.

GaimeGuy

To be fair, WWE's not entirely innocent in this. Kurt said it and other wrestlers have said if. It you take time off, your spot's not guaranteed to ever come back to you. I mean, hell, look at Ziggler.

Ziggler only still has a job because he's basically the original HHH "guy." All the other execs hate him

SoulPlaya

more money than God
No, I'm not. I would have loved to see him pushed right, but it would not have moved ratings on any sort of permanent basis. His segments may have been talked about/loved and gotten high ratings, but being a star on the level of SCSA entails being a top star on a hot show. And I think the show as a whole was not at a high enough level for that to happen.
When SCSA became, "huge", meaning after he won the WWE title, the WWE was still getting beat by WCW. It takes time, and I didn't say he was on that level yet, but he could have been. They wasted it. He's not even a strong draw anymore.

All they have is Cena and the marks that will watching anything with WWE on it.

*reads results*

ocFfnqgl.jpg

When SCSA became, "huge", meaning after he won the WWE title, the WWE was still getting beat by WCW. It takes time, and I didn't say he was on that level yet, but he could have been. They wasted it. He's not even a strong draw anymore.

All they have is Cena and the marks that will watching anything with WWE on it.

I think you are missing my point. Yes I agree that he could have gotten big. But Stone Cold wasn't the sole reason the WWE passed WCW, and that is what I'm getting at. He was at the top of what was a peak time for the wrestling industry in terms of popularity and exposure. To me, Punk would have had to been the top part of an equally, or almost equally, successful run for the business to be considered on the level of Stone Cold.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I think you are missing my point. Yes I agree that he could have gotten big. But Stone Cold wasn't the sole reason the WWE passed WCW, and that is what I'm getting at. He was at the top of what was a peak time for the wrestling industry in terms of popularity and exposure. To me, Punk would have had to been the top part of an equally, or almost equally, successful run for the business to be considered on the level of Stone Cold.
I guess I wasn't being clear. I don't think Punk could ever have become as popular as Stone Cold. He's not good enough for that (on the mic or in the ring), but he could have been more popular than Cena, but they ruined that.

GaimeGuy

Punk's shoot promo on 6/27/2011 waas a promo that everyone knew could have been a turning point for the business to a new era that embraced worked storylines, blurring the line between what was backstage stuff and what was just "for TV"

Too bad instead of changing things, or being remembered in the same vein as Austin's KotR speech, it'll be just another great, well known, but ultimately meaningless (in the grand scheme of things) promo, like DX impersonating the nation.

It said a lot of things that needed to be said on behalf of the guys in the back, and about the upper management in WWE, and the direction of the company, and it resonated with the fans, and got huge mainstream coverage.

It should have lit a fire under everyone's asses

Top Bottom