• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |strobogo Recap OT| This title is held in abeyance

Sokantish

I feel bad because I missed the last two matches of the PPV last night. I had to play DayZ though. Then it all ended horribly and was a total waste of time.

Am I talking about HIAC or DayZ!?

Based on just about every PPV this year, what rematches will we see tonight on RAW?

I'm hoping for Summer Rae vs Natalya

Probably get

Kofi/Sandow
Los Matadores/ Real Americans

strobogo

Banned
legitshook.com

WCW Monday Nitro 7/5/99

Live from the Georgia Dome, for the last time ever.

Recap of last week, which ended in Nash laying out 8 men and walking out with Torrie and George. We then get to see that awful shit from Thunder with "Sting" attacking Nash with a bat. What we didn't see on Thunder was the girl that Sid got out of the trunk wasn't George, but was actually Torrie. SWERVE!

Nitro Girls dance. They're as in sync as the Usos.

During the show opening, you could clearly no fans in the upper bowl at all. Bret Hart will be here. Ric Flair will also be here. But more importantly, Megadeath will perform. As will the West Texas Rednecks.

Juventud Guerrera vs Chavo Guerrero Jr.

I'm kind of amazed that Nash didn't go ahead and run an angle of Juvi vs the ramp. Chavo is the one to fall on it this time. SWERVE! You can't recover from that on the same night it happens. They should have just scrapped the match. It reminds me of the time my ex girlfriend accidentally farted when she bent over and thought if she immediately kissed me that I would forget about it. They're both working heel. Not much happened. Chavo was trying to make the crowd forget he fell on his ass by awkwardly kissing the crowd, but it didn't work. Sid and Savage came out and laid both guys out for a double DQ. Sid was wearing the WCW Championship and Savage tried to kill Juvi with the elbow. Sid rambles about nice people and shit his dad said. "You've messed with this man's man. This man's mind, excuse me." Savage started to talk, but threw the mic back to Sid. Nash is on a bed of coals and there is no one there to piss on him. Nash pops up on the big screen with Torrie. He challenges Sid to another match. George walks in saying, "Did I just hear Randy?" and looking around like a baby deer. Kevin Nash, the top face, has held a woman hostage for a week now and no one besides Sid and Savage seem to have a problem with it.

iRz1YV0tA4Mq7.gif

ijMNpVs7oezMs.gif

DJ Ran botches his promo.

TO THE MEAN BY GOD GENE. Ric and David come to the ring. Ric strips Scott Steiner of the US Championship and gives it to David Flair. Not even a storyline for it, no mention of an injury. Just a "He hasn't been around, so I'm giving the belt to Big Dave" kind of thing. Charles Robinson and the Ho Train bring David the belt. Ric then had 10 women attack his son, but Ric then takes a few for himself. I think they're going to be tag teaming as father and son tonight. Gross. Buff comes out. He wants a match with David. Ric agrees to it. Buff starts dancing, but his music didn't play. He even asked for it to play. It never did. Instead, we got to see a bumper for Megadeath still to come.

Vampiro vs Rick Steiner WCW TV Championship

They're doing a really terrible job of keeping any of Vamp's momentum up. He shows up once a month, is super over, then vanishes. Complete squash. Match was probably 90 seconds long at the most. Rick won with his awkward submission that he still hasn't figured how to apply.

TO THE BACK. Lodi presents Lenny with new, matching tights. Lodi is insisting that WCW won't care about them. Lenny trusts Lodi. It ends with a pan to the doors which read, "Closet". Are you fucking kidding me?

iAht5umrSlWIT.gif

Bret Hart tribute video. Too bad they had no clips of anything good since Bret was a chickenshit heel and injured for most of 1998. It talks a lot about Owen with cheesy piano music over it.

Bret Hart comes to the ring. He is very thankful to the fans and WCW for their condolences. He basically gives a eulogy for Owen. He was very proud of Owen. He's unsure of what he wants to do with his life moving forward. He mentions all the other top sports guys who were retiring in 1999 and were so happy about it, but it sucks for him. If this is his last chance to address wrestling fans, he wants to thank them and thanks all the wrestlers in locker rooms around the world.

TO THE BACK. Eddie Guerrero comes to Doug Dillinger, saying that someone stole his wallet. He knows it was a masked wrestler and wants them all round up so he can pick out the thief.

DJ Ran wastes time.

The Cat vs Jerry Flynn Kick Boxing Match

Jimmy Hart now manages Flynn. Rounds and everything. "This is gonna be awkward." Was this a response to the Brawl For All? 20 seconds left in the first round and the fans are loudly booing. Cat starts round 2 with a cartwheel kick and is reprimanded for being on the match. Flynn slips and is also reprimanded. Fans hate this. Cat is disqualified for striking a downed opponent.

ineFaGkOgXYJy.gif

Lodi vs Van Hammer

Flock kind of peters out, I guess. Hammer wins. This show sucks.

Little Ceasar's commercial with Goldberg and Meng stopping their match to have pizza in the ring.

iXlnxbdEfwDSk.gif

TO THE BACK. Doug Dillinger and security round up those illegal masked men. Wait.

TO THE MEAN GENE. VP RP is the guest. Why did they need to split up Flair and Piper segments? Piper took so long to come out that Gene insinuated he was back there taking a shit. Atlanta is now the birthplace of freedom in America. Piper salutes the West Texas Rednecks because "Crap is rap", which he repeats incorrectly a few times. Piper says that he's never met Sting. Doesn't even know the guy. He invites Sting to the ring. It obviously isn't Sting. It's a guy in a Sting mask, terrible wig, and he's barely taller than Gene. He asks 6 questions to fake Sting, all revolving around Randy Savage. Fake shakes his head no for every question. Piper gives Sting a neckbreaker and pulls the mask off to reveal...someone. What a giant waste of time that was. Fans hated it. Piper books himself in a boxing match with Buff at BATB. JoJo and JUDGE MILLS LANE came out. Mills Lane will be the ref. "Let's get it on on Sundy in California, Florida!" JoJo mouthed Lane's promo the whole time. Piper for some reason was pissed about Mills Lane being the ref, even though obviously this was set up ahead of time, presumably BY Piper.

Nitro Girls dance and DJ Ran wastes more time.

Fit Finlay/Steve Regal vs Konnan/Rey Mysterio Jr.

Man, fucking Konnan is here to ruin Finlay AND Regal. Why does Konnan wear motocross knee and elbow pads? WCW has completely killed Rey and DDP for me. The Rednecks came out and caused a DQ.

David Flair vs Buff Bagwell WCW US Championship

Buff hit the Blockbuster about a minute in. Robinson wouldn't make the pin. Buff put David in the figure four and small packaged Ric. Arn got involved and then Dean hit the ring. Asya was slammed by Buff. Piper knocked Buff out and David pinned him. FIVE run ins for a 3 minute match.

TO THE BACK
. Dillinger has all the masked men in a line up. Eddie insists they have to take the masks off. we see all the guys take their masks off from behind as Eddie reacts to all the ugly faces. Weirdly, he says Hypnosis is a good looking guy. The Cheetah Kid takes his mask off to reveal TAFKATAFKAPI, who hugs Eddie. Blitz takes his mask off and Eddie laughs at him. I absolutely could have seen this working out where WCW really had 6 luchadors have to take their masks off in a random backstage segment.

TO THE YO!
Hak and Chastity hijacked the feed. The day Hak was born, he punched and choked his doctor. Sandman gives a HEATED promo and sets up a Junkyard Invitational Match at BATB since Flair won't allow hardcore matches in arenas. YO!

The West Texas Rednecks give a live performance. Perfect gets big pops and pyro when he asks how many rednecks, good old boys, and how many people hate rap. Barry isn't even touching his drums. He's air playing real drums. They played a truncated version of their song and the crowd boos heartily after the performance for wasting everyone's time.

Jersey Triad vs Dean Malenko/Saturn/Chris Benoit

These guys aren't saving this show. No one is saving this show. But especially not YA LOVE ME, YA HATE ME, YOU'LL NEVER FORGET ME DDP. He doesn't even find a way to work that into a sentence or end of a promo. That's the first thing he says. I also don't want to see Bam Bam in anything besides hardcore matches. Bam Bam missed a diving headbutt. Saturn hit a Superfly Splash and Benoit then hit a diving headbutt. Saturn made the cover.

TO THE MEGADEATH. Fuck me. I don't even like Megadeath at their best, so performing a lame song on a wrestling show is extra shitty. And it is a TERRIBLE performance. Jesus Christ. Just awful. At least 3 people sound out of tune, Mustaine looks like he doesn't even know the riff and has to keep staring at his guitar, which means he can't concentrate on lyrics. And there is a mosh pit. Fans were booing heavily after the performance until Goldberg growled, "I'm back", over the house mic. That was honestly one of the worst things I've ever seen. Besides the song being awful to being with, the performance was embarrassing. Really, really bad.

ibivJQMRlLOS5e.gif

Sid vs Kevin Nash WCW Championship

Nash says Savage will never get to see George again unless he leaves with the other two broads. Fans are chanting for Goldberg instead of anything going on with the main event angle. Savage left, but hit the ring about a minute later. The ref doesn't call for the bell and lets this turn into a handicap match. There was a ref bump. Bogus Sting hits the ring. The fans pop thinking it is the real Sting, but it obviously is the fake one. He attacks Nash. The real Sting runs down a bit later. He saves Nash, only to get jackknifed for his troubles. Nash takes off with the belt and then says what's left of George is in his locker room.

TO THE BACK. We follow Savage to the back. Kind of. It actually cut to a shot of the ring and Sting walking to the back right after we were told we were following Savage to the back. Finally, we get to see Savage in the back. SEND FOR THE MAN. He flips over a table, starts choking George for being kidnapped, slaps Torrie in the face for laughing, and then THROWS GEORGE OUT OF FRAME as she's screaming, "Why are you doing this to me?". What the fuck.

ilyy7sX6koWIm.gif

iIJ0KgIZZDPlK.gif

ibau5WE9SqHd2G.gif

DQ Count: 3 out of 8. The main event had no finish.

Let's recap the main angle. Randy Savage got mad at Kevin Nash because he beat DDP, when DDP had promised Savage a title shot. To show his anger, he put lipstick on Nash and called him gay for a few weeks. Nash then spent two weeks dumping shit on Savage. Savage then hires someone to repeatedly ram a Hummer into Nash's limo as it was pinned against a giant dumpster. Then, Nash kidnaps Savage's girlfriend and holds her hostage for a week. In the mean time, Savage has hired the Fake Sting to make Nash think the real Sting was against him, and also stole the WCW Championship. On the night that Savage is allowed to get George back, he chokes her for Nash possibly raping her, slaps her friend in the face, and then throws George, again because what Nash might have done to her.

This was the last time WCW ran the Georgia Dome. They ran it in January and had around 35K paid fans. In July, they had around 17K. I'm sure if they had tried to run it at the end of the year or in 2000, they would have had less than 10K. This whole show was AWFUL. Megadeath had one of the worst live performances of any band I've ever seen, and just for fun they had a gimmicked comedy musical performance before it. They had two fake Stings, only to have the real Sting finally show up at the end of the show, get powerbombed by someone he was helping, and slowly walk out as if cameras weren't even on him. Fans booed the shit out of the kickboxing match, Piper's fake Sting, both musical performances, and the main event. Garbage was thrown even at Sting and Nash. Fans were pissed at how shitty this show was. I'm pissed at how shitty this show was. Just terrible.

And let's not forget the two gay dudes who literally dress in the closet.

Aiii

So not worth it
Based on just about every PPV this year, what rematches will we see tonight on RAW?

I'm hoping for Summer Rae vs Natalya

Probably get

Kofi/Sandow
Los Matadores/ Real Americans

All of the above, as well as Big E vs. Ambrose (Big E wins the belt) and AJ vs. one of the Bellas, because clearly after beating Brie clean twice, they're already playing up the "she didn't win fair, because Brie was "distracted".

AJ Lee was one Bella Twin mistake away from losing her Divas Championship at Hell in a Cell; the “Black Widow” of the Divas division would be title-less now if Brie Bella hadn’t accidentally kneed her sister Nikki in the head and allowed AJ to capitalize. AJ clearly has no plans to part with her prize, but with the Divas division long on potential challengers, will another step up to make a run at her championship?

I don't get it. I had to go back and rewatch the end of the match. AJ was in the half crab, the shenanigans happened, AJ then crawled to the ropes on her own, grabbed the rope. Brie did her running knee thing where AJ got out of the way in time and ended up doing it to Nikki and AJ put her in the Black Widow. How was AJ in danger of losing to Brie in this scenario? If Tamina and Nikki weren't involved, it would still have ended the same way. AJ would have reached the ropes, avoided the knee and put Brie in the Black Widow.

Fucking WWE man, either book the match to end with a fluke win or don't pretend it wasn't a clean win. We have eyes, YouTube, screenshots and a shitload of social media. We know exactly what happened, so no amount of retconning by wwe.com or announcers is going to save you.

It's why your "we'll have a title holder/MitB holder lose a shitload of matches, because once they win the title people will take them seriously anyways" shit DOESN'T WORK. People remember, you can't retcon your history, because we KNOW what happened. We saw Daniel Bryan get beaten week after week by everyone and not do anything about it.

Fuck!

There should a Angry Wrestling Nerd reviewing Raw, at least that would be enjoyable.

Ithil

All of the above, as well as Big E vs. Ambrose (Big E wins the belt) and AJ vs. one of the Bellas, because clearly after beating Brie clean twice, they're already playing up the "she didn't win fair, because Brie was "distracted".

I don't get it. I had to go back and rewatch the end of the match. AJ was in the half crab, the shenanigans happened, AJ then crawled to the ropes on her own, grabbed the rope. Brie did her running knee thing where AJ got out of the way in time and ended up doing it to Nikki and AJ put her in the Black Widow. How was AJ in danger of losing to Brie in this scenario? If Tamina and Nikki weren't involved, it would still have ended the same way. AJ would have reached the ropes, avoided the knee and put Brie in the Black Widow.

Fucking WWE man, either book the match to end with a fluke win or don't pretend it wasn't a clean win. We have eyes, YouTube, screenshots and a shitload of social media. We know exactly what happened, so no amount of retconning by wwe.com or announcers is going to save you.

It's why your "we'll have a title holder/MitB holder lose a shitload of matches, because once they win the title people will take them seriously anyways" shit DOESN'T WORK. People remember, you can't retcon your history, because we KNOW what happened. We saw Daniel Bryan get beaten week after week by everyone and not do anything about it.

Fuck!

There should a Angry Wrestling Nerd reviewing Raw, at least that would be enjoyable.
Cos gotta keep the Bellas strong, sister.

Aiii

So not worth it
Cos gotta keep the Bellas strong, sister.

I'm fine with that, but they booked a clean finish. Twice now, but the first one was a roll-up so fine. But why would I need to see AJ vs. Brie III if AJ wins clean every time?

If the next step is a Nikki vs. Brie feud and AJ moves on because she's beaten Brie clean twice and she's therefor no longer a contender, also fine. Do Natalya vs. AJ, and have Natalya go over for that Total Divas comeuppance from AJ's promo, that makes sense.

What doesn't make sense is doing a clean finish and then having Brie go over on Bella in a non-title match so she can get another shot at Survivor Series. Where they can once again do Nikki/Tamina shenanigans.

Enough with the copy/paste-repeat booking already. Every storyline they do suffer from this. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.

I think WWE just doesn't give a shit about this time of year. They know people are going to watch football instead of them, they know people aren't going to order the PPVs after having dropped money on Summerslam, so they just kind of turn their show into a screensaver until the buildup to Survivor Series, which gives them 2 months until RR, which then means it's time for the big 'Mania build - which is tends to be a mix of both good and bad, as last year showed.

I'm hoping for a return to good RAWs tonight, now that they have an actually important PPV coming up.

legitshook.com

Let's recap the main angle. Randy Savage got mad at Kevin Nash because he beat DDP, when DDP had promised Savage a title shot. To show his anger, he put lipstick on Nash and called him gay for a few weeks. Nash then spent two weeks dumping shit on Savage. Savage then hires someone to repeatedly ram a Hummer into Nash's limo as it was pinned against a giant dumpster. Then, Nash kidnaps Savage's girlfriend and holds her hostage for a week. In the mean time, Savage has hired the Fake Sting to make Nash think the real Sting was against him, and also stole the WCW Championship. On the night that Savage is allowed to get George back, he chokes her for Nash possibly raping her, slaps her friend in the face, and then throws George, again because what Nash might have done to her.

Who the fuck thought any of this was a good idea? Like what in the actual fuck.
Normally I'd be upset about the homophobia as well but that was relatively tame for late 90s wrestling.

This on the other hand is awesome:

iXlnxbdEfwDSk.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm reading all these stories about Rude's infamous 'open hand' slap that could knock dudes out, including Warryah. and P.N. News and Paul Orndorff.

Ithil

WWE are way too focused on Wrestlemania now. It seems to me they want the Bryan journey to the title to end at WM 30, only Cena got injured before Summerslam, and Bryan got the title early. I get that they want their big storylines (the McMahon family drama, the Authority, Bryan's involvement, etc) to end at WM, but you can't remove all the big moments from the rest of the year for ONE night.

Plus WM is still five months away, if they want to tread water in the story they'd better spike the water with something good.

New Mathches added to power struggle

NJPW “POWER STRUGGLE”, 11/9/2013 [Sat] 17:00 @ Osaka BODYMAKER COLOSSEUM (Osaka Prefectual Gymnasium)

() Special Single Match: Tomoaki Honma vs. Katsuyori Shibata

() Special Tag Match: Yuji Nagata & Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Toru Yano & Takashi Iizuka

() Special Tag Match: Togi Makabe & Kota Ibushi vs. Prince Devitt & Bad Luck Fale

() Special Single Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tomohiro Ishii

() IWGP Tag & NWA World Tag Double Championship 3WAY Match: [62nd IWGP Champions] Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima vs. [NWA Champions] Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. vs. [Challengers] Rob Conway & Jax Dane
~ IWGP 3rd title defense.

() Tokyo Dome IWGP Heavyweight Championship Challenger Rights Contract & NEVER Openweight Championship Match: [2nd Champion] Tetsuya Naito vs. [Challenger] Masato Tanaka
~ 2nd title defense.

() IWGP Intercontinental Championship Match: [6th Champion] Shinsuke Nakamura vs. [Challenger] Minoru Suzuki
~ 3rd title defense.

() IWGP Heavyweight Championship Match: [59th Champion] Kazuchika Okada vs. [Challenger] “The Machine Gun” Karl Anderson

Tanahasi/ishii should be fun

Co/main events should be amazing . I'm hype for nakamura/Suzuki

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Honma vs Shibata is random.

Tanahashi's trying to steal that Shibata/Ishii magic. Could not care less about Okada vs Anderson.

jred2k

All this "build up" seems kind of pointless, too, because they would completely scrap everything they've done for 8 months if the Rock said he'd work WM.

I hope D'lovember provides up with the real deal.

I think WWE just doesn't give a shit about this time of year. They know people are going to watch football instead of them, they know people aren't going to order the PPVs after having dropped money on Summerslam, so they just kind of turn their show into a screensaver until the buildup to Survivor Series, which gives them 2 months until RR, which then means it's time for the big 'Mania build - which is tends to be a mix of both good and bad, as last year showed.

I'm hoping for a return to good RAWs tonight, now that they have an actually important PPV coming up.

I couldn't even watch the PPV yesterday (and I'll admit illegally). When I saw the Orton/Bryan and Cena/Del Rio results, I just decided to do something else.

If they don't care, I don't care. There's:

A) UFC
B) NFL
C) MLB World Series
D) NBA Season
E) NHL
F) Movies
G) Good TV shows
H) PS4/Xbox One

J) A Whole Bunch of Other things

Seriously, the Pro Wrestling Industry just appears to be incompetent right now and doesn't seem like it has its act together.

They're making their money. But if you're trying to make Good Money and be relevant, you need to try harder, there's a lot of competition for people's time and money.

Seriously, NXT is like their only good show. Maybe because it doesn't have a huge writing staff, simple booking and no Cena or McMahons.

Honma vs Shibata could be a lot of fun if it isn't just a squash. I want to see some of that Big Japan fighting spirit from Honma!

Also, my laptop died. I think it's the motherboard, but luckily it's still in warranty. Probably gonna lose a ton of wrasslin from the HDD though, most painful being my xvid rips of the 38 disc best of Japan in the 80s collection :(

Honma vs Shibata could be a lot of fun if it isn't just a squash. I want to see some of that Big Japan fighting spirit from Honma!

Also, my laptop died. I think it's the motherboard, but luckily it's still in warranty. Probably gonna lose a ton of wrasslin from the HDD though, most painful being my xvid rips of the 38 disc best of Japan in the 80s collection :(

If it is just the motherboard, you can pull out the HDD and use it.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

You could get the HDD out and hook it up to another computer to get the data easily.

I was in the middle of a Breaking Bad marathon yesterday, and missed GAF's reaction to Hell in the Cell.

After reading the results, I figured you guys loathed the PPV. Am I right?

The writing was on the wall for D Brine the moment they brought Shawn in to be the ref. The surprising thing to me is that people aren't complaining about it being too obvious. I hope they shoot Bryan with the Phantom Zone projector to keep him out of the title picture for a few months now and let him re-emerge at Mania season

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Can someone describe what happened in the last two matches?

WHC = Cena won, but they showed Sandow backstage holding the briefcase a few times to make it seem like he was gonna cash in.

WWE title = Orton accidentally squashed Shawn in to the ropes. HHH and a doctor went in to the cage to check he was OK. Bryan then hit HHH with the knee. Shawn woke up, super kicked Bryan, Orton covered, Shawn did the three count.

somedevil

Can someone describe what happened in the last two matches?

You mean the AJ vs Brie match and the Bryan match? AJ won after Brie accidently took out Nikki.

The Bryan match was Triple H outside the Cell trying to get Shawn to help Orton win the match. Shawn said leave him alone and then he took a ref bump. It lead to Bryan kneeing Orton for the 3 count but Shawn was out.

So Triple H got inside the cell to help Shawn where Bryan was trying to get him up to do the count. Triple H threw Bryan to side which led Bryan to knee Triple H. This led to Shawn Super kicking Bryan and Orton getting the win sucking the life out of the arena.

Shawn is not getting happy tweets now and he will be on Raw tonight. The question is can he do a match?

Kaladin

I don't really think HBK turned. He was hesitant doing the count and just walked out right away. If he turned he probably would have stayed with Orton and HHH to celebrate.

Nah, this is what HBK does. He does bit where he turns, but hates himself for it.

Sokantish

I was going to ask if that meant he turned heel or was just reacting because he still sees Triple H as a friend. TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT! So excited for RAW now

Top Bottom