• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |strobogo Recap OT| This title is held in abeyance

G-Fex

Yea I'm sure they're internally crediting Sandow for those ratings...

Then why credit Del Rio for anything!?!??!?

--------------------------

I can't wait for TNA to shut down then Sting still refuses to go into the E' , thus WWE making a new DVD called "The Rise and fall of the man called Sting"

Put the baby to bed and got all set up to play WWE 2k14 and my wife was all "Do you mind if I watch The Voice?" and I look at WWE 2k14 and I look at my 3DS with Ace Attorney 5 on it and I'm all DeanAmbroseNope.gif.

I ain't even mad.

What the...ok, which one of you emailed The Late, Late Show with Craig Ferguson to ask him if he's ever performed the Cesaro Swing? He thought it was a sex act, lol.

G-Fex

Put the baby to bed and got all set up to play WWE 2k14 and my wife was all "Do you mind if I watch The Voice?" and I look at WWE 2k14 and I look at my 3DS with Ace Attorney 5 on it and I'm all DeanAmbroseNope.gif.

I ain't even mad.

substituting 30 years of wrestlemania for animu lawyers?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What the...ok, which one of you emailed The Late, Late Show with Craig Ferguson to ask him if he's ever performed the Cesaro Swing? He thought it was a sex act, lol.

Is Craig Ferguson someone?

How many Punk/Ryback matches have there been in the last 12 months? There was HIAC 2012, a triple threat with Cena at SS12, a TLC match on Raw, Battleground, HIAC13, and again on Raw. Am I missing any?

Sounds about right. IIRC that TLC match on Raw was actually really good though.

G-Fex

vSLfIx8.jpg

Neville and Zayn wrestled a dark match against each other at the Smackdown taping. Sami was supposedly working as a heel.

Didn't figure you for a network TV viewer. Good to see it's out there though.

I'm strangely addicted to American late night talk shows for some reason, we don't have many shows like that over here and the one's we do have are generally awful.

Kaladin

I'm strangely addicted to American late night talk shows for some reason, we don't have many shows like that over here and the one's we do have are generally awful.

I go through a phase sometimes where I enjoy late night TV. Letterman is my favorite though. He has the best taste in music out of any of them. He actually requests a lot of my favorite underground country acts to come on the show...and these are acts that wouldn't get national TV exposure otherwise.

strobogo

Banned
How did Sting not tell everyone to steer clear of that dumpster fire?

Or does he not care/only care about money and Jeezuz?

I think he has actually been more loyal to TNA. From 1996 to 2001, I'd be shocked if Sting worked a full 2 years total. Dude took time off ALL THE TIME. Over a year for the Crow thing, then October 1998-April 1999 (with many missing weeks in 1998) the first few months of 2000, the whole Summer of 2000, and then he was gone entirely for the last 5 months of WCW except for the final Nitro.

If anything, he hasn't taken enough time off in TNA. He seems to do anything and everything Dixie asks of him and has put over more people than he did the last 4 years of WCW.

On the late night talk, I love Dave, but he's been phoning it in for years except for the Leno/Conan thing and the writers strike. He has zero passion or interest in what he's doing now. I've only seen Conan once or twice since moving to TBS. Craig Ferguson is definitely the best guy on the networks. Not even a contest any more.

charsace

Neville and Zayn wrestled a dark match against each other at the Smackdown taping. Sami was supposedly working as a heel.

It would be real stupid to bring up Zayn make him a heel. Incredibly stupid.

The TenKoji vs KES vs Conway & Jax Dane match at Power Struggle is a 2 falls match - the first fall is for the NWA Tag Titles, the second for the IWGP Tag Titles.

Not really looking forward to this match, but that stipulation should make it more interesting at least.

I go through a phase sometimes where I enjoy late night TV. Letterman is my favorite though. He has the best taste in music out of any of them. He actually requests a lot of my favorite underground country acts to come on the show...and these are acts that wouldn't get national TV exposure otherwise.

I like Letterman, he's better than Leno and Conan's not doing anything for me recently. I find Fallon ok in small doses, but Ferguson is my favourite. His interviews are a step above the usual PR patter most of the hosts employ.

gurudyne

It would be real stupid to bring up Zayn make him a heel. Incredibly stupid.

It's a dark match for an up-and-coming talent. They need to see him do a wide range of things to gauge his abilities, especially in front of a large crowd. And who knows? People were skeptical about him working without a mask and that turned out well. He might be as good a heel as he is a face.

strobogo

Banned
The TenKoji vs KES vs Conway & Jax Dane match at Power Struggle is a 2 falls match - the first fall is for the NWA Tag Titles, the second for the IWGP Tag Titles.

Not really looking forward to this match, but that stipulation should make it more interesting at least.

I like Letterman, he's better than Leno and Conan's not doing anything for me recently. I find Fallon ok in small doses, but Ferguson is my favourite. His interviews are a step above the usual PR patter most of the hosts employ.

Ferguson is just so weird and it permeates everything on his show. That he's on so late really helps his show. He has much more of the spirit that Late Night Dave had than Dave or Conan have had in years.

Zayn might very well be good as a heel, but WWE is lacking actually likable faces right now. There's Punk (who's lost some of the likability in this whole Heyman thing), Bryan (who I think will get better now that Cena is there to be Cena), Dolph (who doesn't matter, and probably never will), Cody and Goldust (who are fucking AWESOME, with no caveat at present), and... that's it, probably. Oh, and the Primetime Players, who don't matter. Cena is Cena, Kofi is boring, Los Matadores are boring, Tons of Funk are played out, the Usos have no personality, RVD is gone, Big Show is an amoral monster, Miz is a douche, Sheamus is an injured bully, R-Truth is just weird at this point, Khali is Khali, we've yet to see if Big E will even GET to have a personality, etc. The WWE is dying for some likable faces.

I'd bring up Zayn, redo the feud with Cesaro, have Cesaro get angry after Zeb and Swagger try to get involved, then have a Cesaro face turn out of respect after a great PPV match (sort of a Rock-Hogan thing, on a less grand scale). Then you could have Cesaro and Sami as a face tag team once Cody and Goldust drop the titles and Cody moves on to (hopefully) bigger things,

G-Fex

Big show is the toughest son of a pomegranate in the WWE today.

Anyway I got a solution. Break up SHIELD

Have Ambrose leave at least, say he didn't believe in their brand of Justice. Make him sorta like a vigilante, tumblr posts alone would explode into the quadruple digits. Then put him in a romance with Summer Rae getting him to feud with Fandango.

Summer Rae is a parrot though

strobogo

Banned
Goldust is my favorite thing in WWE right now. By far. I've loved all of his random miracle runs. The one in 2003 with Booker, his ECW run, and this one. So good.

strobogo

Banned
Maybe. I like him being Dustin with the paint. I think the best of both worlds is Dustin in the ring, crazy weirdo Goldy outside the ring.

Maybe. I like him being Dustin with the paint. I think the best of both worlds is Dustin in the ring, crazy weirdo Goldy outside the ring.

I like it in the ring, but there hasn't been enough contrast between Cody and Goldust as characters yet. That's really their "story", or at least it should be: Goldust returns and is focused and on fire, but slowly slips back into his screwy goof-up ways outside of the ring (and, at some point, maybe even inside the ring, almost costing them matches) as he gets more comfortable. Cody trying to keep him on track could make for both good comedy AND good melodrama, if they play it right.

Fuck, this shit is so easy to write! I get that Vince is old and just doesn't have "it" anymore, especially in the PG era, but how is it that everybody else sucks so bad?

somedevil

I like it in the ring, but there hasn't been enough contrast between Cody and Goldust as characters yet. That's really their "story", or at least it should be: Goldust returns and is focused and on fire, but slowly slips back into his screwy goof-up ways outside of the ring (and, at some point, maybe even inside the ring, almost costing them matches) as he gets more comfortable. Cody trying to keep him on track could make for both good comedy AND good melodrama, if they play it right.

Fuck, this shit is so easy to write! I get that Vince is old and just doesn't have "it" anymore, especially in the PG era, but how is it that everybody else sucks so bad?

Yeah, a lot of fans think they can write better but a lot of it is not that good. Also, PG blaming is annoying as hell these days. Does anyone remember raw in 2002 with all the non PG crap. Also, WWE to me is a lot better than it was in 2011.

i never got blaming PG it means no blood(except in some circumstances) and no unprotected shots to the head. not really a deal breaker in tearms of story telling.

strobogo

Banned
I had a lot of fun with Savage vs Steamboat, since the match I had was super competitive. Much more so than any of the other Hulkamania matches. Savage reversed the crossbody 5 times. I really liked the WM5 in game Savage promo and wish they had done that for every thing. I actually would have liked to see all the promo stuff done in game. I like when they use real audio, but it makes me wonder why they didn't use actual entrance audio from Fink instead of having him redo them in a much lower register.

I'm going to watch Craig Ferguson in honor of Bootaaay. I wonder who his guest(s) is/are....

Tuesday, Oct 29
Alyssa Milano
Lawrence Block

eh....

Oooh, Ben Kingsley is on tomorrow. They're both British so they naturally have a great rapport.

Yeah, a lot of fans think they can write better but a lot of it is not that good. Also, PG blaming is annoying as hell these days. Does anyone remember raw in 2002 with all the non PG crap. Also, WWE to me is a lot better than it was in 2011.

Most fan stuff is not good, but that doesn't mean it's not still better than what WWE actually does, much of the time, given their tendency to fuck up good things.

I understand that wrestling writing has certain limitations and unpredictable complications - wrestlers' seniority, injury, backstage politics, physical limitations of what people can and cannot do, wrestling ability, etc. - but given how much of the show revolves around basic things like story arcs and character development, it really shouldn't be that hard to plan out individual beats that aren't totally insulting.

Also, I'm not saying TV-PG is ALWAYS bad, just that Vince's sensibilities pretty clearly lie in, at least, TV-14 land. When he tries to book for the kiddies, he tends to be pandering and obnoxious, even if good stuff comes out of it. This WWE is better than the WWE I watched in 2002/2003, but that doesn't mean there's not room for obvious improvement.

I have to hope that Hunter will be better once he is actually running things and (hopefully) lets his on-screen persona take at least a BIT of a backseat, but then, it's hard to say.

Edit: PG is no blood and no chairshots, which I don't really care about, but it also means the writing is alot tamer. This is good, as it prevents things like Katie Vick from ever being an option again, but it's also problematic in that it makes the writing a little tamer and more predictable, as you know there are certainly places they don't/won't/can't go. AJ, for example, could do much more if there weren't a PG cap on her psycho character. And the current storyline would be alot better if Big Show could punch Steph in her goddamn face.

Zampella's shootin! Zampella's shootin!

Somebody turn off his damn mic!

Finally something interesting in this console war that isnt just a comparison of numbers. Give me some shady business plz.

Top Bottom