• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Kickstarter [Ended, $2.4 million funded]

Dr_Evil.jpg

One million dollars!

1-D_FTW

This is NOT a consumer device.

- This is meant for VR enthusiasts who want to get in on the early floor and play a role in its development.

- It's meant for guys who want to help solve problems.

- It's the beginning of VR finally becoming the dream it was sold as. But it's not there yet. It's going to take at least a couple more years to truly break all the remaining barriers down.

- Even if you just want to ignore that and play it, realize that screen is not high quality. It's an older LCD in there. 20ms response time. This is more in line with the smeary LCDs of yesterday. And as for resolution, Carmack didn't just mention pixel grids, he mentioned that people with clear vision have been able to make out the pixel make-ups.

- He makes a very good point: people who have worn a head mount/VR before will be blown away by the advancements they've made. People who've never worn one and have Hollywood-esque visions, are going to be really disappointed.

The future of this thing is amazing. And I look forward to owning one when that time comes. But this thing is truly for the garage tinkerers ATM. And still needs a little more time in the oven for everyone else.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
1 millon funded

And they have 29 days left

My god.

The gamers and developers have voted. We want a VR future!

Hopefully they will include some kind of diopter adjustment for those of us with glasses. The Carl Zeiss cinemizer has +\-3 diopters of adjustment it can manage, but I noticed the HMZ has none.
Headshot.jpg

Comparatively stylish as fuck but you've got to wonder how well they isolate vision

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This is NOT a consumer device.

- This is meant for VR enthusiasts who want to get in on the early floor and play a role in its development.

- It's meant for guys who want to help solve problems.

- It's the beginning of VR finally becoming the dream it was sold as. But it's not there yet. It's going to take at least a couple more years to truly break all the remaining barriers down.

- Even if you just want to ignore that and play it, realize that screen is not high quality. It's an older LCD in there. 20ms response time. This is more in line with the smeary LCDs of yesterday. And as for resolution, Carmack didn't just mention pixel grids, he mentioned that people with clear vision have been able to make out the pixel make-ups.

- He makes a very good point: people who have worn a head mount/VR before will be blown away by the advancements they've made. People who've never worn one and have Hollywood-esque visions, are going to be really disappointed.

The future of this thing is amazing. And I look forward to owning one when that time comes. But this thing is truly for the garage tinkerers ATM. And still needs a little more time in the oven for everyone else.

Based on this, I think it is smart of them to use a relatively crappy screen. Keeps the cost down low enough for a bunch of people to jump on, and the screen is arguably the least important - you can increase resolution but what you need feedback on is the tracking, ergonomics, and how do you properly address separate head movement and mouse/controller movement. How applicable to games other than fps will it be? Having enough people trying this out and hopefully answering some of the questions before the consumer device is finalised will be really valuable

Durante

The reason for the screen is that there really isn't much choice. It has to be the right form factor, easily and quickly sourced in (relatively, it looks like now) low quantities, and -- and this is a killer -- it has to be possible to drive it using DVI with no added input latency.

Javaman

This is probably going to be the biggest kickstarter in terms of amount funded ever.

I mean... assuming they don't go 'sold out' before it gets too crazy.

That's over 3000 beta units being shipped out. Crazy

I'd like to get one once the bugs are ironed out, but that res in such a wide view is going to be pixel city.

Haint

I wonder if this thing could be equipped with a diopter? Which would help those who need glasses.

Palmer just addressed this on MTBS:

Yes, we are adding that soon. Don't worry, I am a glasses user myself, so it is very important. :) The final decision has to be made if we will have adjustable optics, or something like thin lens inserts to adjust the diopter. I am leaning towards the second one for the dev kit Rift, it is cheap, easy, and lets the stock Rift be as mechanically durable as possible.

Also of interest, the DIY kit will probably be the black box prototype Carmack had at E3. The Dev kit should have the molded plastic design from the KS video.

One more thing, if anyone happens to have a 720p FPJ, are my calculations correct in that you should be able to get some approximation of the visible pixel structure of the rift by viewing a ~100" screen from ~3.5'? If so I'd be interested in hearing people's impressions.

fr3shme4t

Neo Member
Well, they just got my money.

I'm sure the dev kit will have a number of issues, but still it'll be a pretty fun toy to play with. More interesting than next gen consoles anyways...

I really like the idea, but come on playing this with a kb/mouse or even a controller that's cool, but for me is not VR, is only a good looking head-mounted display with FOV, the VR is possible but they need to partner or support the use of something like kinect or leapmotion (for control) and then we can talk of something near to our VR dreams.

Cartman86

Banned
Could you turn the 3D off and would that defeat the purpose? The reason I ask is because 3D gives me a headache every time no matter what. Not to mention I can't fully see it. I wonder if I got eye surgery if it would fix it...

Zaptruder

Banned
Could you turn the 3D off and would that defeat the purpose? The reason I ask is because 3D gives me a headache every time no matter what. Not to mention I can't fully see it. I wonder if I got eye surgery if it would fix it...

It should be technically possible - just double up on the same image instead of rendering two slightly different images.

But at the same time, I have a feeling that the 3D sensation with this will be much more natural feeling than just stereoscopy alone - With head parallax motion 3D helping to congeal the whole feeling of 3Dness that you get from looking at stuff in the real world.

I can imagine the consumer version will be available in several resolutions at different price points. If I were to venture a guess, that is.

You know... this would be a pretty alright way to do it. Give consumers a base model with an ok res to get it into their hands at a low enough price point that game developers everywhere start to recognize this as the peripheral to support... but also make a version that's expensive, but with as little compromise as possible.

I'd pay 1.5k for a no compromise version with a resolution that's as high as possible.

Shawsie64

Banned
Another nice bit of info from Palmer @ MTBS3D

$300 gets you a developer kit, which is going to look very similar (If not identical) to the render in the video, with the headset, cables, head tracker, and anything else required for operation included. The tooling for the mold is going to take a while, though, so in the meanwhile, $275 gets you a build-it-yourself version with a case that is very similar to the one John Carmack showed off at E3, since those can be shipped as soon as the first batch of parts arrives. Only 100 people are getting those, and I plan on making the "final" dev kit shells available to them for a low price a few months later so that they can upgrade and have the same product as everyone else.
"I understand that almost everyone here is enthusiastic with this product and have been following the development progress for a while however the Majority of the backers do not Really know what they are getting. There is NO indication on the video or the site of what exactly will be supplied. There is only a nicely rendered concept video. He needs to update the Kickstarter Page soon and Clarify to everyone that what is shown is NOT the product they will be getting period."

Palmer's response:
People are getting something that is similar to or better than the render in the video. That would be the assumption anyone watching the video will probably make, unless they know the full history of the Rift back to when it was going to be a DIY kit. Assume the best, not the worst.

yogloo

Uhh.. Does real life give you headaches?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I really like the idea, but come on playing this with a kb/mouse or even a controller that's cool, but for me is not VR, is only a good looking head-mounted display with FOV, the VR is possible but they need to partner or support the use of something like kinect or leapmotion (for control) and then we can talk of something near to our VR dreams.

Kinect is as bad as using a controller or mouse. If its very immersive VR, you need a flexible input device that can simulate what you're using in game. Eg for an fps, a PS move sharpshooter would be a decent accessory. Doesn't need to look good but needs to feel natural and support blind usage

Kevin

I've been waiting for this my entire life. A VR project that doesn't suck. If a consumer version of this actually makes it's way to the public a few years from now, I will most definitely support it.

I don't get why this guy needs a Kickstarter for this. Doesn't he have VC people breaking his door down at this point trying to give him money?

yogloo

Are you being serious?
Yes. Real life is 3d. I was making fun of him saying 3d causing him headaches.
Anyway. the 3d method being implemented here different than what is used by 3d tvs. It is a more natural method because each of your eyes gets a different image without relying on shutter or polarized glass. Those methods (especially shutter) causes headaches and eye strain for some people.
This is pretty similar to how we see things in real life.

Durante

I don't get why this guy needs a Kickstarter for this. Doesn't he have VC people breaking his door down at this point trying to give him money?
He probably doesn't need kickstarter at this point, but he's doing it for a variety of reasons:
- he promised the hardcore community a kickstarter for months, it would be very disappointing for them (us) to wait any longer
- he's using the kickstarter to distribute units to developers (and enthusiasts with coding skills) at or near cost, so that there is already some software infrastructure in place when the consumer device launches
- he's getting a ton of media exposure for free. There are over 80 news posts about the Rift in the past 24 hours in English, and over a dozen just in German.

All of those are great reasons, I really see no drawback to doing the kickstarter.

By the way, Palmer made a really long post answering tons of questions at mtbs3d, many of which were also asked here. I think everyone interested should read it.

Aaron

I think this kickstarter is the best way to convince developers to look into supporting this thing by the time the consumer model is ready for market. Other products like this struggle to get dev support because there's inherent doubt the public will be interested.

Why the hell not, for $300 it seems like a decent bit of hobbyist kit. I'm in.

Someone should be talking to Nvidia to try and get 3D Vision support for the Rift. Most games are already compatible with 3D Vision so that would immediately make many games playable.

Zaptruder

Banned
Why the hell not, for $300 it seems like a decent bit of hobbyist kit. I'm in.

Someone should be talking to Nvidia to try and get 3D Vision support for the Rift. Most games are already compatible with 3D Vision so that would immediately make many games playable.

Nvidia and AMD driver support of this would be the ultimate step on the PC front.

For now, he's basically doing the next best thing by talking to developers and getting them to implement it individually.

But with that said, Nvidia and AMD can really only solve the fish-eye lens correction side of the VR equation - you'd still need to approach developers to get them to include full head tracking (and not just mouse to head tracking) - because the head includes full 6 DOF - moving the head forward, backward, side to side, tilting it back and forward - are all things that you can't emulate with simple mouse look.

On the developer side, it's a pretty substantial task if they want to implement this seriously.

Most games are coded and designed for the existing mouselook paradigm - depending on how they coded the engine, it might be trivial or a lot of work to implement 6DOF for head look - and get the player character's body to operate independently of head look.

At the upper scale of integration, you might get developers marrying up the functionality from the Leap Motion controller and or Kinect - although that's a shit load of work, for a very small market. I'd expect initially anyway, you'd largely have to rely on very enthusiastic indie developers and modders to implement this sort of functionality - as the inability to financially justify this makes it a difficult sell for other professional developers to work on it.

Yeah, the Rift only has rotation. There won't be any leaning around corners to check what's down that hallway just yet.

Even if all Nvidia did was implement 3D Vision support at the driver level for output and you were still required to use a mouse to look, it would still WORK and give you the VR experience. The Rift isn't even using true alternate-frame stereoscopy yet, which you need to get full resolution images in both eyes. It's just side-by-side with half resolution to each eye. 3D Vision support would be trivial to implement. Head tracking to look can be implemented later on as developers port old games or add Rift support to new games.

Zaptruder

Banned
I didn't think the rift included side to side detection, only rotation?

Really? Damn. From the way Carmack talked about 6DOF, I thought the Rift came with 6DOF.

Is it really that difficult though? You just have to use 2 accelerometers (unless I'm not quite understanding how accelerometers work) to provide you with the additional information that can determine pitch, yaw and translation.

DieH@rd

Banned
And I'd pay 300 euros for a nice consumer model with 1080p display and good tracking hardware [accurate measurement of all of my movements and position in space].

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Really? Damn. From the way Carmack talked about 6DOF, I thought the Rift came with 6DOF.

Is it really that difficult though? You just have to use 2 accelerometers (unless I'm not quite understanding how accelerometers work) to provide you with the additional information that can determine pitch, yaw and translation.

Accelerometers are kind of dodgy for good tracking past a few seconds. Even still I think (?)

There's a project that's attempting to put together a VR/holodeck-style experience using consumer hardware. They're using a rift with a ps move or two attached to it, tracked by a kinect - presumably to overcome this very problem and give absolute positioning and translation tracking.

Zaptruder

Banned
Accelerometers are kind of dodgy for good tracking past a few seconds. Even still I think (?)

There's a project that's attempting to put together a VR/holodeck-style experience using consumer hardware. They're using a rift with a ps move or two attached to it, tracked by a kinect - presumably to overcome this very problem and give absolute positioning and translation tracking.

Hmmm... fair enough. Well, shit has me excited as all get out anyway.

patsu

Do you have a link to that project ?

Sounds fair, people all over the world are paying that ammount of money for high end headphones. So please give us our consumer friendly high end HMDs.

The Rift is just a proof-of-concept product, made for developers or hobbyists. It seems to be literally the first product of it's kind. Assuming it is successful and this guy who started out working in his garage in Long Beach gets a lot of interest, he might be Gaben-rich in just a few years. You'll get your consumer-friendly HMDs then I'm sure.

Huggy

I didn't think the rift included side to side detection, only rotation?

I thought so too, but:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game said:
Technical specs of the Dev Kit (subject to change)
Head tracking: 6 degrees of freedom (DOF) ultra low latency
Field of view: 110 degrees diagonal / 90 degrees horizontal
Resolution: 1280x800 (640x800 per eye)
Inputs: DVI/HDMI and USB
Platforms: PC and mobile
Weight: ~0.22 kilograms

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_degrees_of_freedom
6DOF_en.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That's good news, because carmack sounded unhappy with the quality of translational sensors. Maybe he compromised, putting it in anyway so it's a good baseline, and then they can replace with better sensors in later models.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
And I'd pay 300 euros for a nice consumer model with 1080p display and good tracking hardware [accurate measurement of all of my movements and position in space].

same. Looks absolutely impressive even at this early stage. I can imagine the racing games. Drool.

Durante

I think I can clear up some confusion.
The sensor in the Rift does track 3 angles (roll/pitch/yaw) and 3 translations (x/y/z), however, only the rotation information is reliable over longer periods of time and can be used in games as-is. Stuff like leaning is still possible based on the roll value, but head movement tracking is not reliable enough with just the tracker (you'd need an additional optical system).

1-D_FTW

It seemed like he spent a good 20 minutes talking about that specific issue during the Quakecon keynote. If you really want technical info, watch that (and the VR roundtable they're hosting tonight).

Durante

It seemed like he spent a good 20 minutes talking about that specific issue during the Quakecon keynote. If you really want technical info, watch that (and the VR roundtable they're hosting tonight).
Will that be streamed somewhere?

It's really amazing if you've followed this project from the start, when it was just Palmer planning a kickstarter to build a few dozen/hundred units in his garage.

Top Bottom