• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know if Chronos is exclusive to Oculus store forever, or will it eventually end up on Steam? I prefer my games in the steam library, even though I have a rift. So far most games have shown up on both, but three of the games I'd like to check out - Edge of Nowhere, Chronos, and The Climb - all appear to be Oculus exclusives at the moment. Just not sure if thats like a 6 month deal or forever.

Bog

Junior Ace
Is Apollo 11 worth the $10 as a cool experience? I know I probably won't play it more than once outside of showing it off to people.

Is Apollo 11 worth the $10 as a cool experience? I know I probably won't play it more than once outside of showing it off to people.

It'll vary by person, but to me it's been the strongest emotional VR experience I've had so far. I loved it.

Thoraxes

Thanks to the B1G1 20% off digital cards at Best Buy, I think i'm going to grab a few Steam cards and pick up Elite Dangerous and The Solus Project.

Is the Horizons Season Pass DLC for Elite Dangerous worth it? I figure I may as well go all in. Also is there any weirdness between using it via Steam versus buying it on the Oculus Store?

Any help/insight would be much appreciated! Also feel free to add me on Oculus. My username there is Thoraxes.

I just received my RIFT! Unfortunately my GTX 1080 is nowhere to be seen... with the dk2 i could play some games with my 770 but well i'll see how it goes.

Think i'll buy Chronos on oculus store and Project Cars from the steam sale.

LogicStep

Thanks to the B1G1 20% off digital cards at Best Buy, I think i'm going to grab a few Steam cards and pick up Elite Dangerous and The Solus Project.

Is the Horizons Season Pass DLC for Elite Dangerous worth it? I figure I may as well go all in. Also is there any weirdness between using it via Steam versus buying it on the Oculus Store?

Any help/insight would be much appreciated! Also feel free to add me on Oculus. My username there is Thoraxes.
Is that best buy deal now or something that happened a while back?

jim2011

Anyone know if Chronos is exclusive to Oculus store forever, or will it eventually end up on Steam? I prefer my games in the steam library, even though I have a rift. So far most games have shown up on both, but three of the games I'd like to check out - Edge of Nowhere, Chronos, and The Climb - all appear to be Oculus exclusives at the moment. Just not sure if thats like a 6 month deal or forever.

Forever. They are oculus funded games.

LogicStep

You have till Sunday.
Thanks
Now that I got my order in I'm torn if I should cancel and go for vive... but it sounds like the rift has more support in terms of exclusives or am I wrong? On top of that we will probably see Xbox games with vr support in the future that will most def end up on PC.. I'm not sure what to do.

Bought Ethan Carter and Technolust on the sale. Still not having much time to play unfortunately due to other stuff going on.

A note though, for those "down with the (VR) sickness". I have been doing some Dreamdeck and stationary stuff like Chronos and each time I play before trying the more intense stuff. It's working as I'm getting less and less nausea as time goes on.

I try and just do a quick demo when I can even if I have no time to b play a full game.

Some people swear by it. I haven't spent a lot of time with it, maybe an hour, but the whole craning your neck to reach the next hand hold mechanic has seemed a little touchy and left me kind of cold on it. Definitely take it with a grain of salt though as adjusting my sensor / spending some more time with it might have me singing another tune.

I always play standing up, craning my neck really isn't an issue.

$50 rental? Maybe, not sure. It's awesome but I'm not sure about how much I'll complete as I enjoy the easy stuff right now, not time trials and such. Would be cool if they implementation ghosts of top leaders though.

LogicStep

Nvm not torn anymore, I'm getting the rift. Read some articles and I was sold.

I can buy games from the sale without having the headset?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Thanks
Now that I got my order in I'm torn if I should cancel and go for vive... but it sounds like the rift has more support in terms of exclusives or am I wrong? On top of that we will probably see Xbox games with vr support in the future that will most def end up on PC.. I'm not sure what to do.

Oculus is directly funding some of the bigger games like Edge of Nowhere, The Climb and Chronos. All 3 are really good games too IMO. They will keep funding exclusives as it seems to be a core part of their strategy.

Also, Touch is coming in a few months and by most accounts surpasses what the Vive wands can do because of the ability to do basic finger tracking.

The downside is we don't know what Oculus's official stance on roomscale games will be but there's been plenty of videos showing that Vive's roomscale games with with the Rift with 2 cameras (the second will be included with Touch) but it just may not be "officially" supported. We'll see.

Nvm not torn anymore, I'm getting the rift. Read some articles and I was sold.

I can buy games from the sale without having the headset?

Yep, you can install the software and buy games without a Rift attached, just skip the hardware setup stage during installation. You can run the hardware setup later.

LogicStep

Oculus is directly funding some of the bigger games like Edge of Nowhere, The Climb and Chronos. All 3 are really good games too IMO. They will keep funding exclusives as it seems to be a core part of their strategy.

Also, Touch is coming in a few months and by most accounts surpasses what the Vive wands can do because of the ability to do basic finger tracking.

The downside is we don't know what Oculus's official stance on roomscale games will be but there's been plenty of videos showing that Vive's roomscale games with with the Rift with 2 cameras (the second will be included with Touch) but it just may not be "officially" supported. We'll see.

Yep, you can install the software and buy games without a Rift attached, just skip the hardware setup stage during installation. You can run the hardware setup later.
Cool, thanks for the info. I've always wanted VR since I was a kid in the 80s and saw a demo of some super early VR. I have kept myself away from all things like cardboard and gear VR because I want my first experience to be high end. I'm so fucking pumped for this. :D I'll have to grab a couple of games off this sale.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Cool, thanks for the info. I've always wanted VR since I was a kid in the 80s and saw a demo of some super early VR. I have kept myself away from all things like cardboard and gear VR because I want my first experience to be high end. I'm so fucking pumped for this. :D I'll have to grab a couple of games off this sale.

Definitely grab Chronos.

I downloaded Lucky's Tale but it seems it dit not install and won't show up in my library. The files are in the download folders but if i hit the install button on the store it downloads it again.

Anyone had this issue ?

Thanks

IMHO Vive is the better proposition in the short term (as it has tracked controllers already) but Oculus may be the better bet in the longer term.

It's really a judgment call though based on a number of factors:-

1. Will the closed nature of oculus annoy enough PC people for long enough to put a dent in their sales?
2. Will the exclusives they're funding make a difference
3. Will oculus do a deal with MS and have rift compatability on the xbox store and/or even put the oculus store on Xbox consoles!?
4. Will people prefer the touch controllers, that have a lot more gesture functionality and debatably better ergonomics
5. Who will do deals with businesses outside of games to ship headsets and make themselves the "default" tech?
6. Will facebook keep pouring money in, to make sure they "win" "social VR"?

StudioTan

Will do. How is the length of these oculus games?

Most games tend to be pretty short, Chronos however is in the 10-15 hour range. Edge of Nowhere is about 3-5 hours but it's quite impressive.

Zaptruder

Banned
Nice. Now these insipid VR wars can end, and we can just get back to talking about VR games and apps as is.

I hope they turf whichever decision maker was responsible for this mess in the first place. Seems like there was probably an internal power struggle over the decision, allowing the company to flip its position after the torrent of hate. Too bad the whole debacle has cost Luckey's access to the community. I mean, the guy was a lightning rod - but he was a useful one for letting us into a little insight at Oculus given his loose mouth!

Of course, we still in reality have a cleaved VR market place... but the PSVR was never going to be unified on the PC platform with the other two. Plus the Rift and the Vive (once the former has motion controls and room scale) will have trouble standing divided relative to the soon to be PSVR juggernaut - given the huge install base of potential owners out there.

Also, great stuff for Vive owners given that the Oculus Home store generally has more polished experiences on it.

I just hope that they formalize and legitimize the whole intercompatibility between headsets on their platforms by working out the whole official support thing for Vive. Otherwise this significant and important change... will always have an tinge of 'not quite right' about it (like the position could be reversed and support for the store front for non Rift headsets could be lost at any moment like it was before).

Glad they listened, makes me breathe a little more easily now about the future of the platform. I'm sure ultimately people will want official support in some capacity too, and I have to wonder if this will force their hand on that, lest the quality of user experience suffer, but I won't hold their feet to the fire on that.

i'm very bummed that i cannot seem to install anything from the oculus store. "Sorry the we could not install lucky's tale" "Sorry we could not install chronos" with no explication. And the download file is immediately deleted so to try again you have to redownload again and again. This is shitty.

I've seen that antivirus could be the cause but i've no third party AA on my computer. Well support here i am.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Headset isn't turning on. Plugged in and all.

There's no yellow light above the lenses or anything.

Could either be the cable or the ports you're connecting to. My HDMI port on my video card crapped out shortly after I setup my Rift (how fucking convenient!) and I had to use a HDMI->DVI converter.

What does that email mean?

"We're trying to process your order but might not have the most current information. Please review your order history and make sure your billing/shipping addresses are correct and that your payment information is current and ready to accept the charge. You can check or update your order any time by visiting:"

Does it mean they cant process your order, they prepare to process it, some data isnt correct (it is actually) or what?

What does that email mean?

"We're trying to process your order but might not have the most current information. Please review your order history and make sure your billing/shipping addresses are correct and that your payment information is current and ready to accept the charge. You can check or update your order any time by visiting:"

Does it mean they cant process your order, they prepare to process it, some data isnt correct (it is actually) or what?

It means they tried to charge your method of payment and it didn't go through. You need to check with your bank and update your payment method. Happened to me. You will have to make the adjustment and then wait for the next shipment to go out.

It means they tried to charge your method of payment and it didn't go through. You need to check with your bank and update your payment method. Happened to me. You will have to make the adjustment and then wait for the next shipment to go out.

I dont get why. My bank said there is no problem and the payment information hasnt changed at all. I havent even paid anything with my CC this month and my monthly limit is 2500€. And my bank said no problem...

I added my second name to the shipping adress now, since its also on my CC, but there was never any problem in the 7 years I use my CC now when it came to that.

robotrock

Banned
Could either be the cable or the ports you're connecting to. My HDMI port on my video card crapped out shortly after I setup my Rift (how fucking convenient!) and I had to use a HDMI->DVI converter.
So, I tried this, and it was still not working....but I just came to a disturbing realization.

Is there a wrong and right orientation for the Rift cable to be plugged in to the headset itself? Because I just plugged it in flipped, and now it's working. Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Thoraxes

I was under the assumption that a version designed fully around VR was coming, am I wrong? I've been waiting for that before I try it
From what I've read it sounds like that may eventually happen, but I've not seen anything concrete regarding a proper VR version of the game being in development.

I'll look into it more though. Hopefully some others can shed light on it too.

LogicStep

I'm looking at videos of different games but it's hard to appreciate if they are good or not without trying on vr. Looks like I get Lucky's tale. Don't think Eve is included so I could get that. Chronos looks cool. Lost looks interesting. I'm just not sure on what to get.

I actually own a copy of elite dangerous, does that have support for vr already or do I need to buy something else on top? I'm open to recommendations on games or vr experiences.

I have Adr1ft and Vanishing of Ethan Carter on my steam cart.

Yaska

I'm looking at videos of different games but it's hard to appreciate if they are good or not without trying on vr. Looks like I get Lucky's tale. Don't think Eve is included so I could get that. Chronos looks cool. Lost looks interesting. I'm just not sure on what to get.

I actually own a copy of elite dangerous, does that have support for vr already or do I need to buy something else on top? I'm open to recommendations on games or vr experiences.

I have Adr1ft and Vanishing of Ethan Carter on my steam cart.

If you preordered Rift, you get a code for EVE Valkyrie as well. For Elite you already have the VR version, same for Project CARS. Think some of the games/software also give you a key to add them in Oculus Home if you buy them through Steam.

robotrock

Banned
From what I've read it sounds like that may eventually happen, but I've not seen anything concrete regarding a proper VR version of the game being in development.

I'll look into it more though. Hopefully some others can shed light on it too.
You should buy The Witness because it's awesome, but the VR support is super janky. Like, there's absolutely no polish to it. Menus don't work right, stuff like that.

Thoraxes

You should buy The Witness because it's awesome, but the VR support is super janky. Like, there's absolutely no polish to it. Menus don't work right, stuff like that.

Thanks for the info on it! I kinda always planned on picking it up, but my main focus right now is to get some VR titles on the cheap with this Steam sale...

Though I guess I can go pick up some more Steam wallet cards for this now too :D

The Oculus support reminds me of the Steam support.

I wrote them in my email, that I did everything to change the payment method, called my bank, who said there shouldnt be any problem and they also didnt receive any charge, tried different browsers, when I try to use Paypal it shows "Something went wrong" and I get a copy-paste answer to do all that....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom