• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

LogicStep

I usually get carsick if i'm not driving or in the passenger seat. And i've felt fine with all the other VR games i've tried, though I still haven't gotten through many. No problems there outside of something a pill of meclizine couldn't cure. Ethan Carter is the only game where i've felt actual discomfort compared to just slight veritgo, or wosines which goes away a minute after I take off the headset anyways.

Hell though, your body may be totally fine with it!

Also I think Steam is 2 hours played or two weeks for refund. I could only make it a half hour up to where I explored a house.
Ah ok. I'm really hoping my body is immune to all of this. That seriously is such a bummer, getting sick from playing games.

Getting a bit fed up with the Oculus support.

Called my bank, said they didnt even get any request to get some money from my CC. The answer I got from Oculus was just "call your bank, maybe change your CC (I dont even have any other CC) or change to PayPal", which also doesnt work, since whenever I click on authorize on PayPal it shows "An error has occured" on the Oculus website for whatever reason.

And now I havent heard back from them for 3 days...

Getting a bit fed up with the Oculus support.

Called my bank, said they didnt even get any request to get some money from my CC. The answer I got from Oculus was just "call your bank, maybe change your CC (I dont even have any other CC) or change to PayPal", which also doesnt work, since whenever I click on authorize on PayPal it shows "An error has occured" on the Oculus website for whatever reason.

And now I havent heard back from them for 3 days...

I found Oculus was quick to get back but terrible at saying anything meaningful. Simply editing your credit card details, even with the same details as you had before and saving will trigger another attempt at charging your card a few days down the line. I'm not sure what happened in your case and I have no idea what is going on with PayPal.

The only other thing I can suggest is contact thetwistgibber on reddit. When I had my CC fail the first time my order didn't process on the next shipment. Apparently there was a lock that still had not been removed on my account. He fixed that.

I found Oculus was quick to get back but terrible at saying anything meaningful. Simply editing your credit card details, even with the same details as you had before and saving will trigger another attempt at charging your card a few days down the line. I'm not sure what happened in your case and I have no idea what is going on with PayPal.

The only other thing I can suggest is contact thetwistgibber on reddit. When I had my CC fail the first time my order didn't process on the next shipment. Apparently there was a lock that still had not been removed on my account. He fixed that.

I dont know. I am just frustrated. If they could have gotten the money 4 days ago I am sure I would have my Rift by now.
The frustrating thing is, that I dont know whether typing in my CC data again helped at all. Like when they ship the next batch and the same mistake happens again, I would need to wait another week. I wouldnt be that frustrated if I wouldnt be in China in 2 week for 2 months again...

Also my bank said there wasnt any attempt to draw money from my CC. The information I typed in was right. I didnt make a mistake then. Right now I just want to know whether they can get the money or not. If I could pay with PayPal that would also help me, but that doesnt work.

Seems also the twistgibber wasnt active for 2 weeks.

LogicStep

So the rift needs 2 or 3 usb 3.0 slots? I see different listings. My mobo has 4 in the back and 2 in the front. 2 are taken by my keyboard and mouse. Trying to figure out if I should get a hub or not.

So the rift needs 2 or 3 usb 3.0 slots? I see different listings. My mobo has 4 in the back and 2 in the front. 2 are taken by my keyboard and mouse. Trying to figure out if I should get a hub or not.

It needs two. One for the headset and one for the camera. If you buy Oculus Touch it will need a third USB 3.0 slot for the second camera.

vermadas

Edit: Beaten

Right now it needs two. One for the headset, one for the sensor. Later this year, Touch will ship with an extra sensor, which will require an additional USB 3.0 port.

LogicStep

It needs two. One for the headset and one for the camera. If you buy Oculus Touch it will need a third USB 3.0 slot for the second camera.
Ok thanks. I also have an external HDD so I have enough ports but I'm not sold on the idea of having permanent stuff plugged into the slots in front of the case.
Doesn't it come with an xbox controller? Doesn't that take a slot?

Ok thanks. I also have an external HDD so I have enough ports but I'm not sold on the idea of having permanent stuff plugged into the slots in front of the case.
Doesn't it come with an xbox controller? Doesn't that take a slot?

Yes. That uses a USB 2.0 slot.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Yes. That uses a USB 2.0 slot.

Depending on your luck, it may need a 3.0 slot to work properly.

In my personal experience the latter was the case. It simply did not connect in a stable manner under USB2.0.

I have everything connected via a USB3.0 hub now.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
so after seeing that awesome looking vr branch of quakespasm i've been getting interested in ordering an rift. the problem is that right now i only have a 560ti (paired with a 6700k and 16gb ddr4) which i'm sure could handle quake just fine, but i'm not sure what else.
i was wondering if there were any other interesting vr demos or ports that could run on a meager gpu to keep me busy until i get a new one.

bounchfx

Has anyone been able to get this to work on their laptop with an on board + dedicated graphics card? I'm plugging the oculus in, and I have a good card but it keeps trying to use the on-board card. Not sure what to do :(

Haint

I just can't get into Project CARS. I thought VR would help that but it hasn't.

There is something absolutely dull about that game. So many tracks. So much customization. Yet, it bores me to tears. I'm not sure what it is. I put in over 100 hours into Gran Turismo 5 and about 30-40 into the last couple of Forza games.

It's cause 100% real life courses are snooze, and the career/campaign is a convoluted, over complicated, inaccessible mess. Project Cars is only for die hard sim super nerds.

And still no answer from Oculus support. I mean is it that hard to answer my easy question?

I asked on reddit that Oculus support guy, on the Oculus forum some support guy and opened threads both in the official forum and reddit....

Edit: WTF? Got a "Your order has been cancelled email"...

Yaska

Has anyone been able to get this to work on their laptop with an on board + dedicated graphics card? I'm plugging the oculus in, and I have a good card but it keeps trying to use the on-board card. Not sure what to do :(

Check if you have any hdmi ports wired to the dGPU. On nVidia physx settings you can check which ports are connected to which gpu. If they all are connected only to internal,then you are out of luck. The iGPU hdmi cannot outout data fast enough and is thus blacklisted. The blacklist is on driver level so dunno how to bypass it.

Been wondering how usb adapters or thunderbolt adapters would work with Optimus setup though. There are external gpu housings coming out so you can use one of those in future to bypass the intel gpu.

It's cause 100% real life courses are snooze, and the career/campaign is a convoluted, over complicated, inaccessible mess. Project Cars is only for die hard sim super nerds.

I like the idea of their career campaign but it definitely is convoluted.

And still no answer from Oculus support. I mean is it that hard to answer my easy question?

I asked on reddit that Oculus support guy, on the Oculus forum some support guy and opened threads both in the official forum and reddit....

Edit: WTF? Got a "Your order has been cancelled email"...

Wow. You got fucked. I don't know why it's so hard for Oculus to deal with these situations. The only thing I can think of is that they thought you had a forwarding address or something tied to your account and were trying to ship to a country that doesn't have Rift yet. I know they cancelled a bunch of orders early on for that.

Still, the way they handle this stuff is absolutely terrible.

Still, the way they handle this stuff is absolutely terrible.

I can only guess that its because the PayPal of my wife has another name than mine. Though it shouldnt matter, since its the same billing adress.

The thing is, they should be able to see that there is still an open ticket before cancelling. I dont even know how long it will take for them to answer me...

Joystick

If you were showing a group of people (think non-gaming friends / family / work colleagues) VR for the first time then what games / apps would you show to give them a quick WOW factor?

Something that can be done in limited hands-on time (say 10 minutes), doesn't need too much in fancy controls (Elite might look great but I'd want them to be able to move around easily). Some of the scenes in Dreamdeck are kinda ok but pretty limited.

Can you recommend a couple? I'd pay if they look good.

corin7

Neo Member
If you were showing a group of people (think non-gaming friends / family / work colleagues) VR for the first time then what games / apps would you show to give them a quick WOW factor?

Something that can be done in limited hands-on time (say 10 minutes), doesn't need too much in fancy controls (Elite might look great but I'd want them to be able to move around easily). Some of the scenes in Dreamdeck are kinda ok but pretty limited.

I had a house full of mostly non gamers over the weekend. I started everyone off with Dreamdeck. Then for most I had them do Esmes III single player mission in EVE Valkyrie. Even not knowing how to fly or whatever it is just a really amazing set piece. Every single person came away impressed, with a huge smile on their face.

LogicStep

I would like to know for when my parents visit. I know I'm probably gonna start with Adr1ft as my first VR game.

I would like to know for when my parents visit. I know I'm probably gonna start with Adr1ft as my first VR game.

Adrift is probably not the best way to get your VR feet wet. It can be quite nauseating until you're used to VR, but then it's no longer really a problem. I've heard a bunch of people complain about nausea with that game when they first start out, and it's listed as intense on Oculus Home.

Try a few other things for a few days before dipping into Adrift. It's a great VR experience, but not a great first VR experience.

LogicStep

Adrift is probably not the best way to get your VR feet wet. It can be quite nauseating until you're used to VR, but then it's no longer really a problem. I've heard a bunch of people complain about nausea with that game when they first start out, and it's listed as intense on Oculus Home.

Try a few other things for a few days before dipping into Adrift. It's a great VR experience, but not a great first VR experience.
Hmm ok. I will try others first, probably experiences instead of actual games and I'll have a bucket next to me :p

Hmm ok. I will try others first, probably experiences instead of actual games and I'll have a bucket next to me :p

If you do try Adrift early on, at least make sure you listen to your body. If you begin to sweat or feel weird, stop playing right away. If you keep pushing on, you will get sick.

Also, try to avoid crashing into walls or spinning too much, as those are the things that tend to trigger nausea the easiest. Take the game slowly.

Joystick

The Climb, though it is expensive. Other than that, probably Farlands.
+1 for The Climb.

Thanks. I'll check it out. I wish there were more demos for games.

I played Farlands for about half an hour. Took a while to get used to the movement system but it seemed ok.

I had a house full of mostly non gamers over the weekend. I started everyone off with Dreamdeck. Then for most I had them do Esmes III single player mission in EVE Valkyrie. Even not knowing how to fly or whatever it is just a really amazing set piece. Every single person came away impressed, with a huge smile on their face.

I have Elite but not EVE V but I've heard a lot of people say that it's good. I'll check out a video of that mission. I think I'll pick it up for myself regardless!

I'm also thinking maybe Introduction to VR, the high res 360 stereo video. It's the best I've seen for video quality and low distortion at the camera seams (most videos make my eyes hurt due to the poor camera optics or stitching).

Can you recommend any good 360 stereoscopic videos?

Can you recommend any good 360 stereoscopic videos?

These are kind of hit and miss, but the DiscoveryVR app with the long ramp (skateboard) and the tightrope walkers across a canyon are pretty great.

It's just they all have that weird perspective where you feel people/things are huge ... but they really aren't if you think about how 'big' you'd be. Hard to explain.

Haven't tried too many on there but those two really stood out, actually had to drop to my knees for stability during the tightrope one as I was wobbling all over the place.

And regarding extensions. I think it may be my USB extender giving me crack/popping in the audio. It sucks, it will be fine for a while then give out. Does the USB to the headset need USB3? I have the Inatek card, and one in front that's on board USB3, as well as some built in, I seem to be getting this for most, I still need to figure out which one is which lol.

But sometimes sound will just go out also. Hadn't had the issue in a while but after all the recent updates it started.

chris121580

Got my Rift a couple days ago and have been really loving it. I'm shocked how great Chronos is. A much deeper and creative game than I expected. I was also blown away by Project Cars and that has been the showcase for my friends

Thoraxes

If i'm doing just a short thing for a bigger group of people, I always start then with a thing or two Dreamdeck to get their feet wet (and their bodies adjusted), then Showdown for that "Woaaaahhh" factor.

If you have more time for less people, the Climb is real cool to demo to people.

Only 10 days left till I am in China and still no answer from support. No ones answering my support ticket from 24th anymore and the one I opened yesterday about my cancelled order is also not answers.

I am so frustrated. I dont have a clue what I can do now...
I was thinking when the thread on the oculus subreddit would be on the first page support would maybe write a PM to me there, because that happened before, 160 replies, 120 upvotes and nothing, nada....

Weird. The 2-3 times I've contacted support, they answered within a couple of hours at most. And that was me asking them to pay one of my bills too. :p

Weird. The 2-3 times I've contacted support, they answered within a couple of hours at most. And that was me asking them to pay one of my bills too. :p

I have the worst experience. I wish they would answer in a couple of hours :(

Since 24th no answer concerning my ticket. Since yesterday morning no answers concerning my cancelled order.

owlbeak

Anyone experience an issue with their HMD where if you pull the cable going into the headset a little, the HMD display shuts off? I'm afraid I've got a busted unit. It usually doesn't happen unless the cable is pulled tight, but sometimes I've turned to look behind me while wearing it and the headset will shut off and the PC will say the HDMI has been unplugged.

If it's defective, what sort of turnaround time am I looking at for an RMA seeing as how it took them forever to even ship the unit in the first place?

vermadas

Anyone experience an issue with their HMD where if you pull the cable going into the headset a little, the HMD display shuts off? I'm afraid I've got a busted unit. It usually doesn't happen unless the cable is pulled tight, but sometimes I've turned to look behind me while wearing it and the headset will shut off and the PC will say the HDMI has been unplugged.

If it's defective, what sort of turnaround time am I looking at for an RMA seeing as how it took them forever to even ship the unit in the first place?

That cable isn't hardwired into the headset, so hopefully the connection is just a bit loose. I've heard it's somewhat simple to get to, so maybe try plugging it in more firmly. If it's the port itself... yeah, you might have to send it back.

Dumb question but is the cable securely connected on the HMD end? I think it can disconnect completely.

owlbeak

That cable isn't hardwired into the headset, so hopefully the connection is just a bit loose. I've heard it's somewhat simple to get to, so maybe try plugging it in more firmly. If it's the port itself... yeah, you might have to send it back.

Dumb question but is the cable securely connected on the HMD end? I think it can disconnect completely.
Oh...can the cable be unplugged from the headset? Is that just a simple matter of pushing it in? If so, that's great because that's an easy fix I can try when I get home.

Edit: Just googled a how-to. Awesome! I had no idea, but I'll try that when I get home. Thanks!

Oh...can the cable be unplugged from the headset? Is that just a simple matter of pushing it in? If so, that's great because that's an easy fix I can try when I get home.

Yeah, I believe the cable can be replaced on its own. We have a gaffer who was waiting for a replacement cable.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Edit: Just googled a how-to. Awesome! I had no idea, but I'll try that when I get home. Thanks!

Yep, just pull out the liner and you can see where the cable plugs in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom