• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

anothertech

If you were showing a group of people (think non-gaming friends / family / work colleagues) VR for the first time then what games / apps would you show to give them a quick WOW factor?

Something that can be done in limited hands-on time (say 10 minutes), doesn't need too much in fancy controls (Elite might look great but I'd want them to be able to move around easily). Some of the scenes in Dreamdeck are kinda ok but pretty limited.

Can you recommend a couple? I'd pay if they look good.
There's some roller coaster demos on wearevr website I usually use. Also a ride called booster if your friends want to get sick. Those and Eve turret/Valkyrie are what I usually go with.

For kids, I will show the dream demos and the don't let go game, they love that one.

@chairman: your order got cancelled for nsf? Happened to my brother, and ya just cancelled outright. Sucks.

@chairman: your order got cancelled for nsf? Happened to my brother, and ya just cancelled outright. Sucks.

Yeah. Now I want to reinstate it, but support doesnt answer. My support ticket from 24th is also still open, was answered quickly when I opened it, but since then nothing.
And the Order cancelled one was 2 days ago and no answer...

This is totally frustrating, because on 10th I am in China for 2 months and would love to have it before that date...

Hey all,

I just got back from vacation and saw Oculus is currently having a summer sale. Woohoo! What games do you all recommend getting?

I already have...
Eve Valkyrie
Project Cars
Adrift
Edge of Nowhere
Elite Dangerous
Chronos
Shuttlepuck Cantina
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes

LogicStep

I just tried it and I didn't listen to advice and went into Omega Agent as my first game.

Holy hell this is fucking awesome!!! It's rated as intense. I didn't feel shit besides amazement. Next I went into Abe Vr, it was a cool little experience. I took a break to eat and next I'll see what I try but I'm going into Adr1ft soon.

Anyways, its so damn immersive. The scale and.. I dunno how to explain it but it's really really cool!

tuna_love

Banned
Hey all,

I just got back from vacation and saw Oculus is currently having a summer sale. Woohoo! What games do you all recommend getting?

I already have...
Eve Valkyrie
Project Cars
Adrift
Edge of Nowhere
Elite Dangerous
Chronos
Shuttlepuck Cantina
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes

house of the dying sun

Wow....

I got a mail after more than one week about my first ticket, that just says:

Greetings,
Thanks for reaching out to Oculus Support.
We sincerely apologize that we have not yet had time to review your case.
At this time, we have a larger volume of tickets than usual. Your ticket will be handled in the order it was received.
Thank you for your continued patience and understanding.
Regards,

Yeah. That will help me with my cancelled order...

LogicStep

After using it for some hours yesterday I think I'm going to return it. I'm not sure I want to pay the asking price for what's there right now. It sure feels cool, the sensation of being there and looking around. I'm just not sure if it's enough to be honest. At least I know I'm immune to the motion sickness. Played some of the more intense games like adr1ft and Ethan Carter and I didn't feel bad at all. Probably doesn't help that I just built a new PC so I already spent a lot on that so spending more on what feels like a novelty doesn't sit right with me.

Okay. Hopefully the journey concerning Oculus support nears their end soon. Got an email earlier I need to reorder and give the support guy my new order number and i will be back in the "queue", though I wonder what queue he means, since mine was actually almost processed on 19th, just couldnt charge my CC card.

After using it for some hours yesterday I think I'm going to return it. I'm not sure I want to pay the asking price for what's there right now. It sure feels cool, the sensation of being there and looking around. I'm just not sure if it's enough to be honest. At least I know I'm immune to the motion sickness. Played some of the more intense games like adr1ft and Ethan Carter and I didn't feel bad at all. Probably doesn't help that I just built a new PC so I already spent a lot on that so spending more on what feels like a novelty doesn't sit right with me.

I think the problem right now, at the beginning of VR, is the content. For games we have "medicore" tech-demos or traditional games in VR, that "no one" would buy without VR.
For videos/documentaries I think it will still take some time till we get to see some.

I have a Vive and it feels fine while on my face, and I just got a Rift and after playing Lucky's Tale for 10 minutes I had to keep pulling it away from my face because of the pressure on my nose. I've adjusted the straps multiple times, but nothing has helped. I take it off and it looks like I've been wearing ski goggles. I don't get this at all with my Vive. Any suggestions?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I have a Vive and it feels fine while on my face, and I just got a Rift and after playing Lucky's Tale for 10 minutes I had to keep pulling it away from my face because of the pressure on my nose. I've adjusted the straps multiple times, but nothing has helped. I take it off and it looks like I've been wearing ski goggles. I don't get this at all with my Vive. Any suggestions?

You have it strapped way too tight. Make sure the top strap is completely loose while adjusting the side straps, the back of the headset should be towards the middle of the back of your head.

LogicStep

Okay. Hopefully the journey concerning Oculus support nears their end soon. Got an email earlier I need to reorder and give the support guy my new order number and i will be back in the "queue", though I wonder what queue he means, since mine was actually almost processed on 19th, just couldnt charge my CC card.

I think the problem right now, at the beginning of VR, is the content. For games we have "medicore" tech-demos or traditional games in VR, that "no one" would buy without VR.
For videos/documentaries I think it will still take some time till we get to see some.

It's definitely a content issue. It'll get better with time I'm sure.

Anyone experience an issue with their HMD where if you pull the cable going into the headset a little, the HMD display shuts off? I'm afraid I've got a busted unit. It usually doesn't happen unless the cable is pulled tight, but sometimes I've turned to look behind me while wearing it and the headset will shut off and the PC will say the HDMI has been unplugged.

If it's defective, what sort of turnaround time am I looking at for an RMA seeing as how it took them forever to even ship the unit in the first place?

Happened to me, the HDMI cable is shit.

Took a week and a half to get a replacement.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Sold mine a few weeks ago.
Couldn't get past the sick feeling after an hour of playing. Using the Oculus felt like more of a chore and was making me dislike gaming because my brain started associating sickness with it. Definitely a first gen device with plenty of flaws. I'll wait a few years and check back in when it comes to VR.

Glad I was able to offload it for a small profit over what I paid FB for it. Hope the next guy gets more enjoyment than I could.

Defect

Been spending a lot of time with Elite Dangerous. Just incredible in VR. It's basically living out Star Wars. Amazing stuff

I have a vive and I'm somewhat interested in elite dangerous. I never played this kind of game before so I don't know if it is worth it. Is there multiplayer? I'm a little confused with the separate "Arena" game that's out there. How hard are the controls?

Also how is project cars in vr? I'd be using an xbone controller for both games.

I also have a 980ti and i7 6700k.

Sold mine a few weeks ago.
Couldn't get past the sick feeling after an hour of playing. Using the Oculus felt like more of a chore and was making me dislike gaming because my brain started associating sickness with it. Definitely a first gen device with plenty of flaws. I'll wait a few years and check back in when it comes to VR.

Glad I was able to offload it for a small profit over what I paid FB for it. Hope the next guy gets more enjoyment than I could.

I am in the process of selling mine now, How did you handle the account registration?

Because I contacted Oculus about removing the headset and camera registration from my account and they said that they could not remove it from my account AND whoever does buy my Oculus Rift won't be covered by the warranty in anyway as selling the headset makes it void, they linked me to this:

https://static.oculus.com/documents/Rift_Warranty_English.pdf

So far I am pissed off and shocked at Oculus' disgusting TOS.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I am in the process of selling mine now, How did you handle the account registration?

Because I contacted Oculus about removing the headset and camera registration from my account and they said that they could not remove it from my account AND whoever does buy my Oculus Rift won't be covered by the warranty in anyway as selling the headset makes it void, they linked me to this:

https://static.oculus.com/documents/Rift_Warranty_English.pdf

So far I am pissed off and shocked at Oculus' disgusting TOS.

I sold it locally. Told the guy to call me if he needs me to do anything with the warranty.

Never bothered unregistering anything on my end. Felt really good to get the Oculus store uninstalled off my PC too. Something about that software felt risky.

I sold it locally. Told the guy to call me if he needs me to do anything with the warranty.

Never bothered unregistering anything on my end. Felt really good to get the Oculus store uninstalled off my PC too. Something about that software felt risky.

Oh ok, That's actually a good idea.

I have a vive and I'm somewhat interested in elite dangerous. I never played this kind of game before so I don't know if it is worth it. Is there multiplayer? I'm a little confused with the separate "Arena" game that's out there. How hard are the controls?
There is a separate thread for elite here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1157327&page=34
The game is really awesome. It's basically a lightweight mmo as in there are three "modes" you can play in:
open - you play in a world with other players the whole time. So chances are you meet a griefer who is killing you if you are unlucky :D But teaming up with others can be great.
private group - same as open but on a invitation based player set.
solo - no other players whatsoever

All three modes use the same background simulation though. (systems in a war, markets...)

The arena mode you mentioned is another game mode. Basically a shooter with dedicated "maps" and free respawning. It is included in the main game. And IIRC if you buy it first it's counted against your elite price. So it's a perfect "Try me" game.

Enordash

For anyone that hasn't picked up BlazeRush, you really should grab it while it's on sale. Even after countless recommendations, I didn't believe that it would be as fun as it is. It's a ridiculously fun time especially at such a low price point.

Been spending a lot of time with Elite Dangerous. Just incredible in VR. It's basically living out Star Wars. Amazing stuff

This. I didn't play ED until I got my Rift. The game is so damn cool in VR and has a ton of depth. So much to learn. It was a little intimidating at first and I'm still learning. However, the payoff of the experience is well worth it and I'm completely addicted at this point.

Now, to jump back in my Viper and earn some bounty credits.

rickyson1

Not sure what a 3way call is, since I am in Germany. I talked with my bank today, but they said they didnt even see anyone trying to get money from my account. The CC data is also right, so not quite sure what happened..

haven't checked this thread in a while

a 3way call would be having both Oculus support and your bank on the same call(so basically call one and add the other to the call)

having someone from both places on the line at the same time like that can do wonders for multi-party communication

Man, so much for the ease of use thing. Had a party last night and was showing people stuff, they loved it, one girl couldn't even look at the dinosaur and was cowering.

But, Elite wouldn't re-center correctly no matter how many times I tried, ended up showing Eve but I'm not far at all so it was just tutorials ... same with Project Cars on Steam, the head was just above the roof no matter what I did to re-center it.

Really disappointing. I'll see if I was doing something wrong, but I've had a DK2 for 2+ years and the Rift for almost two months, so if there's something "I'm missing" I'm all ears.

Over all was amazing to watch the reactions for 'newbies'. I let one of my friends kids watch Henry and that's where the price came up because they were like "we should get one!". Unfortunately it's still very cost prohibitive.

All and all, really fun, demo'd it to about 10-ish people and once one tried it and started talking about some others also wanted to try it. And some just didn't. I still don't understand those people! These are my friends of years and we all have different interests for sure, but it's weird when somebody just "doesn't" want to try it. I don't hold it against them or whatever, and it's mainly because I love tech that I want to try new stuff, but I'll never get the lack of desire to try something like this.

A few when the finally did it were blown away, they thought it was just like 3D, like you see some idiots touting on these and other forums. So that was their expectation, and it was gone after they tried it. The best part is people were already starting to ask about other stuff like movies and such, so it was cool seeing the interest there and curiosity from people who don't even have PCs or tablets in their house.

IFelt really good to get the Oculus store uninstalled off my PC too. Something about that software felt risky.

Hahahaha, thanks for the laugh.

Yaska

Man, so much for the ease of use thing. Had a party last night and was showing people stuff, they loved it, one girl couldn't even look at the dinosaur and was cowering.

But, Elite wouldn't re-center correctly no matter how many times I tried, ended up showing Eve but I'm not far at all so it was just tutorials ... same with Project Cars on Steam, the head was just above the roof no matter what I did to re-center it.

Really disappointing. I'll see if I was doing something wrong, but I've had a DK2 for 2+ years and the Rift for almost two months, so if there's something "I'm missing" I'm all ears.

Over all was amazing to watch the reactions for 'newbies'. I let one of my friends kids watch Henry and that's where the price came up because they were like "we should get one!". Unfortunately it's still very cost prohibitive.

All and all, really fun, demo'd it to about 10-ish people and once one tried it and started talking about some others also wanted to try it. And some just didn't. I still don't understand those people! These are my friends of years and we all have different interests for sure, but it's weird when somebody just "doesn't" want to try it. I don't hold it against them or whatever, and it's mainly because I love tech that I want to try new stuff, but I'll never get the lack of desire to try something like this.

A few when the finally did it were blown away, they thought it was just like 3D, like you see some idiots touting on these and other forums. So that was their expectation, and it was gone after they tried it. The best part is people were already starting to ask about other stuff like movies and such, so it was cool seeing the interest there and curiosity from people who don't even have PCs or tablets in their house.

Hahahaha, thanks for the laugh.

I had a similar issue today. I ended up re-plugging the camerathingy and recalibrating it all to fix it on my end.

Joystick

There's some roller coaster demos on wearevr website I usually use. Also a ride called booster if your friends want to get sick. Those and Eve turret/Valkyrie are what I usually go with.

For kids, I will show the dream demos and the don't let go game, they love that one.

I think that roller coasters would turn most people off due to the motion sickness!

I've been playing further through Farlands as was suggested earlier and I think that it could be good - looks pretty good, performance is excellent, reasonably easy to move around and get into the game in a short time.

lmimmfn

Yeah. Plus restarted and all the usuals. Something funky was going on. I actually just said screw it and bought PCARS on the Home store, will see how it goes, but Elite is still odd.
You can move the camera too to recentre it, not a great solution but handy when you're demoing it and it gets messed up.

XiaNaphryz

Did you move your setup for the demo? You need to rerun the hardware setup if you end up changing the location of the sensor to a different height. For example, I have mine usually setup on my desk setup for my height, but if I move my setup down to the living room to make it easier for others to try it, the sensor still thinks it's at the same height of the desk as its reference point though it ends up at a much lower height on my TV stand. So everything's taller than it should be - rerunning the hardware setup recalibrates the sensor height.

Does that make sense at all?

They really need to let you calibrate Oculus Home without having to do it on your desktop. They should just activate the calibrate button in the guide menu when Home and rerun the desktop "scan".

Edit: and while on the subject of features I'd like a simple alarm tied to Oculus Home so I don't have to set it on my phone or have to keep checking the time through the guide.

XiaNaphryz

They really need to let you calibrate Oculus Home without having to do it on your desktop. They should just activate the calibrate button in the guide menu when Home and rerun the desktop "scan".

Yeah, I'm surprised they didn't include that in the menu. You can reset your position and redo the IPD, but you can't recalibrate the height/position?

Yeah, I'm surprised they didn't include that in the menu. You can reset your position and redo the IPD, but you can't recalibrate the height/position?
They probably don't want calibration to be a prominent element for their vision of VR, but like it or not it is right now and not having the option is making the system seem even more clumsy than it needs to be.

TheExodu5

Banned
So, finally got an Oculus worthy PC.

Just bought Chronos and Blaze Rush during the sale. Is there anything else I should check out?

Just bought Chronos and Blaze Rush during the sale. Is there anything else I should check out?
Depends on what you like, lotsa people ask this, just look back earlier in the thread :) For me, Pinball FX 2 is great in VR, it's like you're sitting or standing at a real pinball table, and able to naturally follow the ball like in real life without needing a clunky camera or anything. AirMech Commander is a fun (but simple) RTS where you directly control the most important unit (a transforming robot/ship that can carry other units), in VR it's like you are standing over a board game on a table across from your opponent. Elite: Dangerous is an awesome multiplayer spaceship simulator (note, SIM, not arcade), where you can be a bounty hunter, a pirate, an explorer, a space trucker, a miner, whatever you want. It's especially great if you get a HOTAS (Hands-On-Throttle-And-Stick), then you are using real flight controls with a VR flight sim (and your character's hands even move the in-game controls the same as you do).

Clydebink

Neo Member
I'm a new rift owner with some questions:
-The mic on the rift stays on even when Home is not open. So other games will pick it up. Do y'all just renable the device in the Windows sound-menu whenever you load up Home?
-When Home is not open, the middle of the sensor stays warm when plugged in. Do y'all just leave it plugged in anyway? I might be a bit obsessive about using less electricity.
-I've tried doing the Steam VR calibration multiple times, but I never know what to do after resting the rift on a stable surface and typing in the height in inches. When I put the headset on after that step, I'm about 10 inches above the floor regardless of what I type in (I've tried 20 inches and 60 inches from the same height getting the same result).

I'm really enjoying the headset, by the way. I was especially surprised by how interesting Farlands and Lucky's Tale are. I like staring at models and ignoring objectives in polygonal games, so doing so with the positional tracking is much more rewarding.

-oh also, can you increase your fps by disabling the desktop mirror somehow?

Darkdeus

House of the Dying Sun is an amazing space sim. iRacing and Assetto Corsa are also fantastic if you have a wheel.

120v

How is Edge of Nowhere? I'm considering picking it up. Worth the full price?

kind of depends how much you want to play a "traditional game" in VR, if that makes sense. beyond that and Chronos there's not much of a selection yet in that regard.

i thought the controls were kind of clunky and the gameplay is like a poor man's uncharted where you're going through a series of brief tunnels to between each set piece. normally not something i'd have paid $40 for but i figured it's not going down on price anytime soon and i wanted to get the most out of my new toy

not a bad game by any means, and length-wise it's fine for the price. but again it's really about how much you want to play this type of game on in VR, because there probably won't be others like it for awhile

I love Edge of Nowhere and I'm glad I bought it but I'm not sure I could recommend it to others for full price due to the lack of content.

Oculus. WTF is wrong with you?

I got the mail that I should do a new order two days ago. I did of course. Then earlier I got a mail that my order has been cancelled again...
WTF is wrong with their shitty support.

Bought Fated in the sale.
Seems pretty neat, but man, the VA, wish they had gone with something more stereotypically / traditionally Viking and Northern European.

It sounds ridiculous having all this North American voice acting in this Viking tale.

Oculus. WTF is wrong with you?

I got the mail that I should do a new order two days ago. I did of course. Then earlier I got a mail that my order has been cancelled again...
WTF is wrong with their shitty support.
That really sucks man. I had a friend who could not get a proper communication channel with Oculus going either, it was like he wasn't even receiving their emails. He got his Rift eventually but he was not impressed.

Did you move your setup for the demo? You need to rerun the hardware setup if you end up changing the location of the sensor to a different height. For example, I have mine usually setup on my desk setup for my height, but if I move my setup down to the living room to make it easier for others to try it, the sensor still thinks it's at the same height of the desk as its reference point though it ends up at a much lower height on my TV stand. So everything's taller than it should be - rerunning the hardware setup recalibrates the sensor height.

Does that make sense at all?

Hrmm ... interesting. I didn't think about that. While I didn't physically move the camera I did prop up the back of the stand so it could point down at a sharper angle since that's where the wheel/HOTAS was.

I'll have to mess around with it this week, find a better mounting solution for roomscale stuff as well as seated.

What's odd is I didn't have any of these issues (same location/setup) the last time a few people were over and I was demoing it.

That really sucks man. I had a friend who could not get a proper communication channel with Oculus going either, it was like he wasn't even receiving their emails. He got his Rift eventually but he was not impressed.

The thing is, support told me to reorder it, so they can transfer the old information to the new one. Thats what I did. They didnt even tell me why they cancelled the old one, so I think its their fault.
Now they cancel it again. They have one of the worst supports ever. And that I cant even call them or some live-chat or whatever. I need to wait days again for a effin answer while my Rift would have been here more than 2 weeks ago....

I am mad right now...

Edit: Fuck it. Amazon.com had them in stock and with priority shipping to Germany it costs just 40€ more. Fuck Oculus Support.

The thing is, support told me to reorder it, so they can transfer the old information to the new one. Thats what I did. They didnt even tell me why they cancelled the old one, so I think its their fault.
Now they cancel it again. They have one of the worst supports ever. And that I cant even call them or some live-chat or whatever. I need to wait days again for a effin answer while my Rift would have been here more than 2 weeks ago....

I am mad right now...

Yeah it seems crazy to me that they wouldn't have some sort of number to call, a business with Facebook's backing? Maybe I just don't understand the cost of something like that. And even with orders, according to them, being beyond expectation you'd still think a niche product like this would have ample time for quick and easy responses from staff.

I haven't had to deal with any of their support yet, but the whole thing seems oddly bare-bones from the outside, especially when you consider the magnitude of their initiative.

Edit:
Edit: Fuck it. Amazon.com had them in stock and with priority shipping to Germany it costs just 40€ more. Fuck Oculus Support.

Right on dude, hope support didn't spoil you on the thing, it's pretty rad drama aside.

Edit more:
I love Edge of Nowhere and I'm glad I bought it but I'm not sure I could recommend it to others for full price due to the lack of content.
I haven't tried Edge of Nowhere yet but I feel like I could say this for most of the content on the Rift right now (except for Elite!!), and I don't really mean that in a bad way. I feel like I knew what I was getting into with this, and the content that is there meets my standard of fulfilling the VR dream, but i'm fully aware that i'm sort of in the more eccentric enthusiast crowd. I think most of us here are like that and understand ourselves and our mindset well enough on that front.

It's all good enough, and i'm fine with the future tax, and i'm not going to delude myself that it couldn't be much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom