• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right on dude, hope support didn't spoil you on the thing, it's pretty rad drama aside.

It did a bit, because if something happens in my 2 years warranty, I still have to contact them and according to reddit/Oculus forums, they usually respond fast with the first tickets, then ignore them for weeks.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
The thing is, support told me to reorder it, so they can transfer the old information to the new one. Thats what I did. They didnt even tell me why they cancelled the old one, so I think its their fault.
Now they cancel it again. They have one of the worst supports ever. And that I cant even call them or some live-chat or whatever. I need to wait days again for a effin answer while my Rift would have been here more than 2 weeks ago....

I am mad right now...

Edit: Fuck it. Amazon.com had them in stock and with priority shipping to Germany it costs just 40€ more. Fuck Oculus Support.

I really hope after all this that you end up loving the thing.

No idea how they could fuck up your order so bad :(

I really hope after all this that you end up loving the thing.

No idea how they could fuck up your order so bad :(

The funny thing is, they couldnt even bother to answer my ticket for a few days, I sent the cancellation email and all of a sudden its been cancelled in 2 hours after I sent it and an answer in my ticket...

Foggy

Picked up Project Cars and absolutely fell in love with it. I've always been more of an arcade racer but considering the added benefits of VR has really turned me around on it. It just felt great to drive which is a pretty fantastic sensation! I also picked up Subnautica which was interesting, but I haven't spent too much time in it yet. Oh and Sayonara Umihara Kawase is pretty fun to play with the God view. Nothing earth-shattering, but pretty neat.

I've been purposely slow playing my collection over the past 2 months, but now I have a big enough collection to feel good about really diving in. Especially since it looks like we're hitting the Touch gap.

I dropped a pledge on one of these faceplates. I'm not sure if it'll be better but I figure it's worth a try, I've been worried for some time that the Rift is going to weigh a line above my brow and I'm hoping this will distribute the weight a little more evenly.

I think it's probably because I have longer hair, so the Rift can't really craddle the back of my skull or sit snuggly without being a little more thight than they intended.

These guys have been doing this for other HMDs right? Anyone ordered from them before? Any good?

I recently picked up Subnautica and Blazerush. Both are really cool, Blazerush is just like rock n roll racing with awesome physics and of course the added visual depth that VR brings!

Is anyone else having performance issues with Subnautica? The framerate seems really juddery, even if I lower the graphical settings. I'm using a 980ti/6700k for reference. I figure it's just an early access thing.

Also, I've been contemplating picking up Radial-G for a while. It looks really cool but I've heard mixed reviews. Worth a buy?

I dropped a pledge on one of these faceplates. I'm not sure if it'll be better but I figure it's worth a try, I've been worried for some time that the Rift is going to weigh a line above my brow and I'm hoping this will distribute the weight a little more evenly.

I think it's probably because I have longer hair, so the Rift can't really craddle the back of my skull or sit snuggly without being a little more thight than they intended.

These guys have been doing this for other HMDs right? Anyone ordered from them before? Any good?

I ordered their VR Cover, which isn't that great. It sets off the sensor that tells the unit someone is wearing the headset.

Though I am still considering ordering one of their glasses inserts. My glasses fit well enough in the shipped version but the extra space would be nice.

I ordered their VR Cover, which isn't that great. It sets off the sensor that tells the unit someone is wearing the headset.

Though I am still considering ordering one of their glasses inserts. My glasses fit well enough in the shipped version but the extra space would be nice.
I hadn't thought of the sensor. If they're doing the mold though I bet that will be a consideration, I hope. Was the cover at least comfortable?

I hadn't thought of the sensor. If they're doing the mold though I bet that will be a consideration, I hope. Was the cover at least comfortable?

Mine wouldn't stay on right. I'm sure with practice it would work but I don't understand why they don't have a little bit of elastic or a tie you could slip through the open areas of the plastic insert itself. It just "sits" there, but after trying to demo with it I gave up.

I do have their lenses coming soon so hopefully the quality is higher as its plastic mounted instead of just a cloth wrap.

Mine wouldn't stay on right. I'm sure with practice it would work but I don't understand why they don't have a little bit of elastic or a tie you could slip through the open areas of the plastic insert itself. It just "sits" there, but after trying to demo with it I gave up.

I do have their lenses coming soon so hopefully the quality is higher as its plastic mounted instead of just a cloth wrap.

That's too bad, makes sense though, I can't imagine this kind of thing being easy to get right when the variance is so high. I'll set my expectation accordingly with the mold.

This one dude told me to do a side ponytail but my hair isn't quite long enough for that, and doing a ponytail behind either hits the top strap or blocks the sensor, so idk, it works as is, but what's another 50 Canadian after dropping a grand to play around with the thing.

tuna_love

Banned
I recently picked up Subnautica and Blazerush. Both are really cool, Blazerush is just like rock n roll racing with awesome physics and of course the added visual depth that VR brings!

Is anyone else having performance issues with Subnautica? The framerate seems really juddery, even if I lower the graphical settings. I'm using a 980ti/6700k for reference. I figure it's just an early access thing.

Also, I've been contemplating picking up Radial-G for a while. It looks really cool but I've heard mixed reviews. Worth a buy?
it's probably some unity thing for subnautica, when I was playing it I couldn't move items from my character to storage. kinda kills the game

So I recently learned you can use tridef (play 2d games in 3d through driver injection) with BigScreen, and ditto for Virtual Desktop. Considering buying the latter cause it allows you to fully envelop yourself in what you're playing, though not sure if that supports sbs 3d like BigScreen. Played a bit of Alice Madness Returns and the art style and shading gives off such a pleasant depth effect.

One of my favorite games to play on tridef when it was still officially supported on dk1, Metro LL, unfortunately looked pretty washed out and depth cues weren't nearly as immediate sans super close objects such as whichever weapon you're holding. Still trying to get GTA V to work with it but no dice so far, I swear that game is the holy grail for getting some decent VR support. Shame it'll prob run like garbage on anything but lowest settings.

Why does nvidia need to release special drivers for it?

I read an insider article, which I think was written by someone working for Nvidia, about a year or two back that (based on my own experiences coding 3D games) seemed all too believable. It talked about how modern game developers hardly cared about optimizing their graphics code anymore, and how they certainly didn't seem to have the talent for it. Nvidia and AMD had to routinely send out teams of people to help developers write their 3D code properly, and products were shipped with incomplete code because the publishers knew that the graphics card companies would fix their shoddy code for them after release. In other words, big publishers are shoving parts of their development cost over to Nvidia and AMD, who are then forced to eat the costs of optimizing other companies' games. This is why we seem to get these patches for every single major release.

It's been a while since I read the article, so I don't remember the details very well. I have no idea where I read it either. Would be interesting to read it again if anyone can recall where it was.

Bog

Junior Ace
I grabbed Project Cars from the steam sale and man is it a blurry mess. Am I missing something here? Do I just need to tweak it or is this the way it's supposed to be? The dash isn't even clear when I look at it.

The funny thing is, they couldnt even bother to answer my ticket for a few days, I sent the cancellation email and all of a sudden its been cancelled in 2 hours after I sent it and an answer in my ticket...

Just checked Reddit this morning and orders seem to be caught up or close at this point. Someone claims to have received a processing email 2 hours after ordering and someone else in Europe claims next day processing.

Maybe just spam with orders and see what happens.

Edit: Someone in the US says they ordered on July 1st and received their tracking on the 6th. That's with a long weekend.

I grabbed Project Cars from the steam sale and man is it a blurry mess. Am I missing something here? Do I just need to tweak it or is this the way it's supposed to be? The dash isn't even clear when I look at it.

I think it defaults to the lowest settings in VR. Maybe just adjust up until you start seeing frame rate issues. What card are you using?

Alucardx23

The thing is, support told me to reorder it, so they can transfer the old information to the new one. Thats what I did. They didnt even tell me why they cancelled the old one, so I think its their fault.
Now they cancel it again. They have one of the worst supports ever. And that I cant even call them or some live-chat or whatever. I need to wait days again for a effin answer while my Rift would have been here more than 2 weeks ago....

I am mad right now...

Edit: Fuck it. Amazon.com had them in stock and with priority shipping to Germany it costs just 40€ more. Fuck Oculus Support.

The same thing happened to me. I had to create the order three times before it finally went through. I don't know what's happening to Oculus, but their support sux.

Bog

Junior Ace
I think it defaults to the lowest settings in VR. Maybe just adjust up until you start seeing frame rate issues. What card are you using?

I have a 1070. I didn't see that I could change too much. I thought it had sort of a VR default.

Facial Interface Replacement has what appears to be its own packaging:

http://imgur.com/E4VNqu2&zZeXNjm

E4VNqu2.jpg

The cables come in their own packaging as well.

MnRmMUJ.jpg

I imagine their online store will eventually be selling stuff like this. Not sure if we will see a retail presence. I wonder if they have plans for longer cables.

DirtyLarry

"rift fit A" looks like it needs work. Fit A suggests more than one type of facial interface. Something suggested months ago.
That is immediately what I thought to myself when I saw it. "Do they make different sizes?"
I was not asking, that is what I thought to myself.

Exuro

Just got my rift in. Already had a Vive so knew what to expect. I was wondering if this is a regular thing. Sorry for the crappy picture, my note 4 can't take good dark shots.

http://i.imgur.com/WiJsy0A.jpg

The right screen is very red while the left screen is dark/impossible to see in a black scene. Noticed dark scenes not being reddish but didn't realize it was only an issue to the right screen until I started winking to check for dead pixels(which I found like 12 of in the left screen D: ).

Also there's another screen discrepancy that's a bit harder to explain. The left screen feels like its using a lower bit color or aa than the right. Like the left screen looks more pixelated when I wink back and forth between eyes. It's hard to explain and I can't provide a good picture but in Eve Valkyrie I immediately noticed it when the dead chick is talking to you. Has anyone had this issue?

Just got my rift in. Already had a Vive so knew what to expect. I was wondering if this is a regular thing. Sorry for the crappy picture, my note 4 can't take good dark shots.

http://i.imgur.com/WiJsy0A.jpg

The right screen is very red while the left screen is dark/impossible to see in a black scene. Noticed dark scenes not being reddish but didn't realize it was only an issue to the right screen until I started winking to check for dead pixels(which I found like 12 of in the left screen D: ).

Also there's another screen discrepancy that's a bit harder to explain. The left screen feels like its using a lower bit color or aa than the right. Like the left screen looks more pixelated when I wink back and forth between eyes. It's hard to explain and I can't provide a good picture but in Eve Valkyrie I immediately noticed it when the dead chick is talking to you. Has anyone had this issue?

Contact support. Something wrong with that. They will probably have you run a test and then RMA the unit. Hopefully exchanges are quick now as someone suggested on Reddit.

Wallach

I just accidentally spent like 4 hours in Darknet. Was just an impulse purchase during the sale and tried it for the first time tonight; I got totally lost in there, had no idea I'd been playing so long. That game is fuckin' rad, highly recommend if you're into puzzle games.

Exuro

Contact support. Something wrong with that. They will probably have you run a test and then RMA the unit. Hopefully exchanges are quick now as someone suggested on Reddit.
So far it's been pretty bad. They want me to get images of what I'm seeing but my cameras aren't able to get them(the red tint shot above looks much more prominent in my eyes for instance). They also want me to get a show with the dead pixels but all my camera shows is black on the lens. This is annoying. :(

Thoraxes

So far it's been pretty bad. They want me to get images of what I'm seeing but my cameras aren't able to get them(the red tint shot above looks much more prominent in my eyes for instance). They also want me to get a show with the dead pixels but all my camera shows is black on the lens. This is annoying. :(

Raise the brightness and adjust the contrast on your image.

I was able to see it by just doing that.

Exuro

Raise the brightness and adjust the contrast on your image.

I was able to see it by just doing that.
Red tint or dead pixels? I was able to get a good shot of the red tint. http://i.imgur.com/2f3shUC.jpg

Trying to get dead pixels shot later. Someone informed me about live view with manual adjust to get focus with the dslr I'm using, so going to try that and hope the pixels are visible. Big issue is most of them are on the right side of the screen and its hard to get a good angle with the camera on the left screen.

Edit: I managed to get a good dead pixel shot. You guys think I can/should be able to get this replaced?

Thoraxes

Red tint or dead pixels? I was able to get a good shot of the red tint. http://i.imgur.com/2f3shUC.jpg

Trying to get dead pixels shot later. Someone informed me about live view with manual adjust to get focus with the dslr I'm using, so going to try that and hope the pixels are visible. Big issue is most of them are on the right side of the screen and its hard to get a good angle with the camera on the left screen.

Edit: I managed to get a good dead pixel shot. You guys think I can/should be able to get this replaced?

It was the red tint. However that new image definitely shows both for sure. I knew the red thing in the darkness was apparently normal in low light situations though? Something about OLED tech and mura/etc.

Exuro

It was the red tint. However that new image definitely shows it for sure. I knew the red thing in the darkness was apparently normal in low light situations though?
Yes but the other screen doesn't have any of it which makes it feel like I'm a pirate. Also the left screen looks like a starry night of dead pixels as seen above.

Wallach

just to repeat myself from last night, you guys should buy darknet

legit amazing game and so far one of the few games I'm pretty confident I will have no hesitation talking about years from now in context of puzzle games

pretty amazing how many layers of the game there is to dismantle and sift through

vermadas

Cross-post from Dirt Rally VR thread:

Protip: Left ctrl resets your VR orientation!

Last night I spent a lot of time fiddling around with the settings to get the game running as close to a steady 90 FPS as possible without sacrificing too much. My specs:
3570K @ 4.3 GHz
GTX 980ti
24 GB RAM

Unfortunately, their benchmark tool seems to run in the 2D window the game uses for the menus and such. I used the Oculus debug tool to keep an eye on FPS while doing some test runs. I ended up settling on 1.333 supersampling through the debug tool, AA off, AO set to ultra low, and everything else a mix of high and medium. That would keep me at 90 most of the time, with ATW having to kick in in the more demanding areas where FPS would dip into the 70s. I'm not sure how performance will be in adverse weather or in Rallycross where there are other vehicles to render.

It didn't take me long to notice that the view wasn't entirely locked to the car, and mostly stayed with the horizon. After awhile I tried turning on the (Options -> HUD -> ) VR vehicle camera motion setting. With the camera locked the motion became much more unstable and reactive to the terrain (which you'd expect driving rally right?) and ultimately more immersive for me. Be careful turning this on if you're susceptible to VR sickness though. You've been warned.

Unfortunately, my Thrustmaster TX wheel has 900 degrees of rotation and Codemasters doesn't have the driver hand/arm animations to cover that. So the in-game wheel motion does not match my TX wheel, and that's a bit of an immersion breaker. I've seen it suggested that they should just remove the hands and arms of the driver in cockpit view so they can get all wheels to properly sync, and I think that would be a great idea.

Cross-post from Dirt Rally VR thread:

Protip: Left ctrl resets your VR orientation!

Last night I spent a lot of time fiddling around with the settings to get the game running as close to a steady 90 FPS as possible without sacrificing too much. My specs:
3570K @ 4.3 GHz
GTX 980ti
24 GB RAM

Unfortunately, their benchmark tool seems to run in the 2D window the game uses for the menus and such. I used the Oculus debug tool to keep an eye on FPS while doing some test runs. I ended up settling on 1.333 supersampling through the debug tool, AA off, AO set to ultra low, and everything else a mix of high and medium. That would keep me at 90 most of the time, with ATW having to kick in in the more demanding areas where FPS would dip into the 70s. I'm not sure how performance will be in adverse weather or in Rallycross where there are other vehicles to render.

It didn't take me long to notice that the view wasn't entirely locked to the car, and mostly stayed with the horizon. After awhile I tried turning on the (Options -> HUD -> ) VR vehicle camera motion setting. With the camera locked the motion became much more unstable and reactive to the terrain (which you'd expect driving rally right?) and ultimately more immersive for me. Be careful turning this on if you're susceptible to VR sickness though. You've been warned.

Unfortunately, my Thrustmaster TX wheel has 900 degrees of rotation and Codemasters doesn't have the driver hand/arm animations to cover that. So the in-game wheel motion does not match my TX wheel, and that's a bit of an immersion breaker. I've seen it suggested that they should just remove the hands and arms of the driver in cockpit view so they can get all wheels to properly sync, and I think that would be a great idea.

thanks for the impressions, looking forward to trying this tonight

my setup is very similar to yours, i have a 4690k @ 4 GHZ but otherwise identical, so I imagine my settings will be the same

"rift fit A" looks like it needs work. Fit A suggests more than one type of facial interface. Something suggested months ago.
Not just "suggested", it was officially mentioned on the product description page, up until the day preorders went live, that the Rift was going to ship with multiple facial interfaces. Later on they said they would be selling different interfaces separately. Looks like they are getting ready for that.

vermadas

This is already an option (Preferences menu), but it doesn't work properly.

I describe the issue in my review:

http://www.roadtovr.com/dirt-rally-vr-review-oculus-rift/

Thanks! Didn't see that. I'll have to try that out and see if I have the same issue you did where the wheel still didn't match up. If so, might have to disable it as you did...

I like your suggestion of the camera lock being a slider instead of a toggle. Off feels too "disconnected" while On feels a bit too sensitive.

Edit: Oculus announces Oculus Connect 3. Rift now shipping in 2 to 4 business days.

Edit2: A few days late on this but I kept forgetting to post about it. Lunar Flight was probably the coolest game I played on the DK1 in the short time I was borrowing it from a co-worker. The dev has been remastering it for CV1 and put the beta for it up on Steam. I have not tried it yet but it should be worth a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom