• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
So with a 980, are you able to max out all other effects at 130% (without AA)? Are you running at stocks speeds? What are the drops and by how much? Would love to see some screens too.

Sorry for all the questions :)

I think my card is slightly factory over clocked. The drops at 130% were mostly obvious while turning or sprinting. There were no settings beyond resolution scale and AA choice that I could see. The game looked great whatever the other settings they've got you defaulted to are, more so at 130% than at 80% though, naturally. Its a killer to have all the leaves blur together in this game. I'm glad for the option to do 130% even if it doesn't meet the all 90 fps all the time.

Drops seemed minor but obviously you notice that you aren't turning as smoothly or whatever.

No sir/ma'am. (PC)

**Edit, I'm not expecting anything until at least Wednesday after Palmer's tweet today. I'll consider myself lucky to see it this week, after seeing that newer shipments are being handled via UPS Ground........

Weird that he said they would start arriving Friday after a Wednesday ground delivery.

Also, I paid $65 Canadian. I should be getting more than ground service for that.

As of right now Vive does not work in Oculus Home but Oculus Rift works on SteamVR
Not so. At least it didn't work earlier. As of when I tested it the Rift doesnt work in Steam VR.

Also I'm getting 100% cpu usage after playing Valkyrie. A reboot didn't clear it. Not sure what the heck is causing it because whatever is running just seems to be chewing up the whole cpu.

viveks86

I didn't run a gpu utilisation monitor to see yet.

Given you are running 980s in SLI and are tapping out at 130, I'm guessing it's using just one card... :/

Its a killer to have all the leaves blur together in this game. I'm glad for the option to do 130% even if it doesn't meet the all 90 fps all the time.

Good to see supersampling options. Does it scale further up?

BrettWeir

Weird that he said they would start arriving Friday after a Wednesday ground delivery.

Also, I paid $65 Canadian. I should be getting more than ground service for that.

With as vague as Palmer has been, my guess is that the "arriving Friday" portion is aimed at a very select few, 10 miles within a distribution center.

Agreed. I've paid less for heavier/larger items with 2 day delivery.

Sorry I've completely changed my angle. I've been completely positive....and kind of still am. I'm just completely amazed at the bullshit lack of real PR regarding this release. Palmer's cryptic tweets, no clarification, the "1-3 week" emails, the "Oculus Rift is shipping" emails...it's been a fucking disaster.

I'm glad we got some sort of estimation at least. But fuck. Be clear in your communications. At least with my PSVR reservation I know exactly when that shit will release.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I'll say it again.....it's become so disastrous that it's comical. I can't help but laugh. 25'er, US. People may receive their Vive's before we receive our Rift's.

I would have imagined that Facebook would have put up the dollars to hire a real PR person/team. Gotta save them doll hairs.

I have a feeling this has been known internally for a while. Instead of Oculus doing the right thing and informing us about the shipping delay they did the workaround.

Palmer would rather rush a couple out the door to technically meet his "shipping on 3/28" statement than to admit to a delay.
It's just how Palmer runs his business. This is why I take any statement from Palmer with a ton of salt because you know reality won't equal the face value of the statement.

Facebook needs to buy that guy a PR team stat.

BrettWeir

I have a feeling this has been known internally for a while. Instead of Oculus doing the right thing and informing us about the shipping delay they did the workaround.

Palmer would rather rush a couple out the door to technically meet his "shipping on 3/28" statement than to admit to a delay.
It's just how Palmer runs his business. This is why I take any statement from Palmer with a ton of salt because you know reality won't equal the face value of the statement.

Facebook needs to buy that guy a PR team stat.

Fully agree. This kind of PR (or lack thereof) could cost them a shit load of business. With HTC being the victor of VR in the end.

I'm still on board with the Rift....They just really need to hire some real PR.

Impulsor

Fully agree. This kind of PR (or lack thereof) could cost them a shit load of business. With HTC being the victor of VR in the end.

I'm still on board with the Rift....They just really need to hire some real PR.

So much this. PR is being an absolute MESS.

I'm considering cancelling and getting a Vive just because of this.

Haint

Just spent a couple hours running through all the free content. The lens flare/god ray effect is absolutely horrible on this. Any kind of bright object/text on a darkish background looks like a JJ Abrams spoof (and that's probably understating it). Anyone else experiencing the same or do I have a borked unit?

BrettWeir

So much this. PR is being an absolute MESS.

I'm considering cancelling and getting a Vive just because of this.

I've been considering it.....but (and I hate to be that guy, but supply/demand is fully proven) I'm almost considering in selling my Rift on eBay to pay for a Vive and then some.

Just being honest.

BrettWeir

The lens flare/god ray effect is absolutely horrible on this. Anything kind of bright object/text on a darkish background looks like a JJ Abrams spoof (and that's probably understating it). Anyone else experiencing the same or do I have a borked unit?

I've read this from a few other reviews as well.

https://www.facebook.com/verge/videos/1065781023458240/

Verge did a 10 minute conversation comparing the Rift to the Vive Pre.

tl;dw -
Rift is more comfortable to wear. It's lighter and the center of gravity is back more whereas the Vive is more front-heavy.

Rift's industrial design is better. Cleaner overall.

Vive's FOV is rounder but otherwise no noticeable difference in image quality.

If they had to choose _today_ they would choose the Vive due to the motion controllers being there day one and it's going to have non-forced exclusivity on motion controlled games for a while. However, when Touch launches they may prefer that solution, but it's just a ways away.

They then talked about whether it's worth getting VR at launch or if it's just better to wait for more games and the like.

---
Nothing mind-blowing and generally falls in line with what most people who have both have said.

Caleb187

Just spent a couple hours running through all the free content. The lens flare/god ray effect is absolutely horrible on this. Any kind of bright object/text on a darkish background looks like a JJ Abrams spoof (and that's probably understating it). Anyone else experiencing the same or do I have a borked unit?

Nope, I'm getting it too along with others on Reddit. It's by far the most distracting visual artifact, more than the resolution and fov. It doesn't show up as much in certain scenes, and in others it's front and center. I've sat in oculus home and made the white text's halo/flare dance around by moving my head in circles haha.

brainpann

Got my Rift today. Yay!

Unfortunately, my USB 3 ports are incompatible with it. Even though I knew this, I was hoping the Rift might still work, but I get nothing. The kicker is that I can't upgrade to new USB 3.0 ports because my computer is an Alienware X51 and there is no where to put them.

Fucking hell. :-/

Karamsoul

Got my Rift today. Yay!

Unfortunately, my USB 3 ports are incompatible with it. Even though I knew this, I was hoping the Rift might still work, but I get nothing. The kicker is that I can't upgrade to new USB 3.0 ports because my computer is an Alienware X51 and there is no where to put them.

Wow! Sorry to hear :/

Compsiox

Banned
Got my Rift today. Yay!

If this were the case they wouldn't be required. Hope you figure it out.

rnaud

I installed Oculus Home this morning, it's really well done. The demoes are really nice. They are running pretty well on my DK2. Didn't have the patience to wait for CV1 to arrive haha.

Turns out the sensor can run on USB2 (my USB3 is malfunctioning apparently), just with degraded tracking.

brainpann

If this were the case they wouldn't be required. Hope you figure it out.

Thanks.....

Obviously I didnt pay for the Rift directly AND I was hoping it might just be some sort of whitelist of USB 3.0 ports that caused an occasional error. Its just a little annoying that the Vive tested great with my rig but its not compatible with the Rift, which is the unit I wanted anyway. I have a few options and none of them are great.

1) Hope that this usb 3.0 business get figured out by Ocuclus or someone far more competent than me.

2) By a new computer minus the graphics card, hd, ram, etc. not sure what that would run me. Im not completely opposed to this if its not too expensive.

3) Sell my Rift and put the money towards a Vive. This is my least desirable option.

Any suggestions?

BrettWeir

Thanks.....

Obviously I didnt pay for the Rift directly AND I was hoping it might just be some sort of whitelist of USB 3.0 ports that caused an occasional error. Its just a little annoying that the Vive tested great with my rig but its not compatible with the Rift, which is the unit I wanted anyway. I have a few options and none of them are great.

1) Hope that this usb 3.0 business get figured out by Ocuclus or someone far more competent than me.

2) By a new computer minus the graphics card, hd, ram, etc. not sure what that would run me. Im not completely opposed to this if its not too expensive.

3) Sell my Rift and put the money towards a Vive. This is my least desirable option.

Any suggestions?

I'll claim ignorance. Alienware won't allow for upgrades/expansion slots/etc? If so, I'm sorry :(

"I'll claim ignorance. Alienware won't allow for upgrades/expansion slots/etc? If so, I'm sorry :("

The X51 doesn't have any expansion slots outside of one for GPU.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Thanks.....

Any suggestions?

honestly, at MOST

you can just buy a power supply/case/motherboard

possibly $300-500 ?

Haint

Nope, I'm getting it too along with others on Reddit. It's by far the most distracting visual artifact, more than the resolution and fov. It doesn't show up as much in certain scenes, and in others it's front and center. I've sat in oculus home and made the white text's halo/flare dance around by moving my head in circles haha.

Caleb (or any other owners) can you fire up the "Lost" Oculus Story short and see if you notice any red tinge in the near blacks on the upper and lower extremities of the screens?

"honestly, at MOST

possibly $300-500 ?"

Definitely below 300, depending on his motherboard/power needs.

Enordash

Another day with no update. I'm guessing they are still in Kickstarter backers. Is there anyone here with an actual "shipped" status that is just a regular preorder person?

brainpann

"honestly, at MOST

possibly $300-500 ?"

Definitely below 300, depending on his motherboard/power needs.

Well, I shouldnt need much. My biggest power need would be the GTX 980 I currently have installed and my I7 3770.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good guide to build a PC?

Can anyone tell me if this combo will work? Would like to pull the trigger asap.

RlliC3eHEL0kzsOSns_tx1pVyeQ9HcDS3e6TDmRmIysq5gjPFYTzBqewex6SYs0DWjpILqFyjsz69lbouFGOFjgCl4IVyU5IKF75qWxvLrQdfKK5kZAGlxbiylnfVf6QAeurYq4zbOBcP7RYCkiD1msBYsEcFkPSwpLDscxHRt-hA3mAzmypOOvcDSDzOjFPtiW0sYCx1VCBnxSj53_h6s4r6TduKhqrGeASFn8h0y-YzXfA-vrrzypPluPe3feEF4HB8XWlPyjGUwOK0Fpc7fM7gvmOtKCpOJn2rly7FZ8WbAgv0c43abX77jiNZ4V_14NlLcnj2neAT31CG0e7aBP7U3-15Zsrznt-CTHj-NW-8xEd4A5LjZ7wQJ2i6yZ3Mtl9ch5U-ol3KlMu9qsM--yDTGAm2XSK-N1DINqqfw43FlB2dVmOT8_UCP83yeOyMGJJWx-8yAvX-0N6c1AVz0MLEafJiRXoy6g0H7h1XvGOK2HikVf41RiJEJmF9h70af4aR3RaF4iZqooxyK98lkPauEQEOi9TPzY8mfbCFRkIO0GF8ELHqK_R1Y1joZDQGb_k=w831-h751-no

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Another day with no update. I'm guessing they are still in Kickstarter backers. Is there anyone here with an actual "shipped" status that is just a regular preorder person?

They've already said that shipping will most likely begin for pre-orders on Wednesday. I would not expect movement until at least then.

They've already said that shipping will most likely begin for pre-orders on Wednesday. I would not expect movement until at least then.

I would hope the process starts before then with actual units going out that day. It feels like it took a day or two from shipped status to actual shipping for Kickstarter backers. If that's the case I hope we see a few cards charged tomorrow.

Compsiox

Banned
To be honest, I really thought that the subtitle of this thread would be less relevant at this point but Oculus somehow made it worse.

brainpann

"Well, I shouldnt need much. My biggest power need would be the GTX 980 I currently have installed and my I7 3770.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good guide to build a PC?"

This thread should be able to help you

Thanks!

I was hoping for more impressions but it feels like all of five people got one in this thread.

I would LOVE to give my impressions but unfortunately I'm now computer shopping. I can say the the headset is a lot more comfortable the either the DK1 or DK2.

LaneDS

Had a rad time with Oculus Home and a DK2 tonight, which surprised me how well that worked with all the software I tested in it. Big warnings inside saying that the DK2 isn't supported, but it worked fantastically with everything I tried tonight, app or game.

Glassboy

I would love to give impressions but the setup has been pretty painful so far. Everything was working fine until I had to calibrate the sensor. It is stuck on a screen where it is telling me to adjust the lens to see a straight green line. The problem is I cannot see anything on my rift. I have even uninstalled oculus and and reinstalling it loads back to the same calibrating the sensor screen where I cannot do anything. It doesn't make any sense at all. The rift even worked before the sensor setup. Uninstalling oculus made me uninstall all 40 gbs of games that I had installed. I'm pretty annoyed right now

Really cool that Oculus home is DK2 compatible and that Lucky's tale is free. That game do is really cool :) Henry, the short animation movie is also nice. Quite happy that I can bite some of that while waiting for my Vive.
It had been quite some time since I hadn't played with the DK2, and going through some of the new/free content of home, I was thinking that the experience is allready very acceptable on that kit, so you guys are definitely in for a treat with the CV1.

I won't lie, this shipping bullshit has really turned me off from Oculus in general. The email about shipping was the icing on the cake. I was 110% behind most of their decisions but that pissed me off. That seemed almost intentional.

This has been the most anticlimactic, annoying launch I've been a part of besides GT5 on the PS3.

Sorry for the rant ...

RealMeat

Banned
Got my kickstarter rift today. I'm super impressed. The resolution could be better, but the tracking is excellent. The DK1 made me sick in minutes, and I've been using the release version for like 4 hours and feel fine. My oculus username is realmeat as well, feel free to add me.

Tain

Had a lot of fun messing with a friend's Kickstarter edition Rift today. I'm suuuuuper impressed at the level of tracking they've achieved with that camera. The cone is shockingly wide.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I never ran the Rift compatibility check until today. Everything checks out besides it saying I need to update my AMD drivers. July feels so far away.

Was able to play Lucky's Tale a bit earlier on the dk2, super charming, love the color palette. Redeemed my Technolust code in Home but the whole thing just locked up on me so I haven't been able to play anything else yet. For those that have used the dk2, have you been able to get positional tracking working? Only have rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom