• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, I feared this. Game devs trying to make some bucks with the new platform. Some devs will do a free update for their game (Project Cars, Elite Dangerous, etc), others will make a paid DLC.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4ca3yu/any_update_from_the_ethan_carter_team/d1gi6w9

It's more expensive in the Oculus store because it includes the "2d version"??? The 2d version isn't a different game, it's the same game, which has been patched to support the Rift!
And of course, the "patch" is a paid DLC.

This is incredibly sleazy. There's no way I'm paying them $10 for a patch that enables VR, and the pricing in the Oculus Store is disgusting. As much as I enjoyed The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and was looking forward to trying it with my Rift, supporting this isn't something I'm willing to lower myself to.

UnrealEck

How is moving around in a game like Ethan Carter? Does it not induce nausea because you're walking in game but not IRL?

This is incredibly sleazy. There's no way I'm paying them $10 for a patch that enables VR, and the pricing in the Oculus Store is disgusting. As much as I enjoyed The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and was looking forward to trying it with my Rift, supporting this isn't something I'm willing to lower myself to.

If they've put work in to make it a good VR game, I think it's fair enough for them to charge for it.

robotrock

Banned
Ugh, I feared this. Game devs trying to make some bucks with the new platform. Some devs will do a free update for their game (Project Cars, Elite Dangerous, etc), others will make a paid DLC.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4ca3yu/any_update_from_the_ethan_carter_team/d1gi6w9

It's more expensive in the Oculus store because it includes the "2d version"??? The 2d version isn't a different game, it's the same game, which has been patched to support the Rift!

I've got no problem with selling upgrades. Developing good VR support takes work.

I have a bit of a problem if they try and sell me the full game again though.

How is moving around in a game like Ethan Carter? Does it not induce nausea because you're walking in game but not IRL?
While it's more likely to cause nausea that some other way of moving you around, it's not guaranteed and many people will have a tolerance for it.

nakedeyes

Banned
Woop woop! And finally got my shipping confirmation and number through UPS.. just a recap of all my info for any other curious parties:

Kickstarter backer 6,486
Rift Order number: 613000069*****
Rift Order confirmation email date: 3/15
.. No word until just now.. ( 3/28 ) with a shipping number!
Estimated Delivery date to SLC, UT : 4/1

Yay! Ok now to just be patient...

Well this is awesome, one camera can do room scale at 13x14 as tested by UploadVR

Placing the camera about 7 feet off the ground and pointed downward,I tested the camera in a room that was measured 13 ft x 14 feet total. Booting up Air Mech I set to walking about the room, stress testing the tracking by crawling on the ground moving quickly and exploring he whole space. To my surprise the single camera was able to track my movement rather flawlessly throughout the entire space from this position. Outside of a pocked below the camera and the areas limited by the Rift’s cord, the entire room was accessible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyNKR_-uKfs

The caveat being without something like Chaperone implemented you better be sure your play area is clear, they bumped into shit a couple times. Regardless good to see more confirmation the tracking is this competent, especially with only one camera. Get two in there and you'll probably be golden. Gimme the Touch already Oculus!

Well, compare it to a launch of a new console, most of GAF didn't have it either (at least at the start) but there was a complete chaos here, even a week before launch of the PS4/ XB1 there was mayhem around here, VR by comparison is very quiet.

In can you didn't notice it before, GAF is both more "console centric" than "pc centric", and also pretty "traditional gaming-centric". They will have more attention to PSVR even if it comes later and it's worse, and a good portion of the entire forum still don't have interest in this newfangled VR thingie.

Soi-Fong

I was wondering about Project Cars. How do we get the Oculus store version for free?

Vuze

Yeah, how dare they charge money for several months of work for proper VR support. While the oculus store reasoning is kinda weird and makes no sense to me, charging a tiny fee for VR support on existing titles is fine by me. You didn't purchase it as a VR game, why should they give you the experience for free?

Yeah, how dare they charge money for several months of work for proper VR support. While the oculus store reasoning is kinda weird and makes no sense to me, charging a tiny fee for VR support on existing titles is fine by me. You didn't purchase it as a VR game, why should they give you the experience for free?

Indeed. VR support is a pretty big task.

Wasnt it announced at the beginning they were working on VR? Then drop it, then readd it when they changed engines?

Edit: Found a german article about it:

http://www.vrnerds.de/vanishing-ethan-carter-erhaelt-2015-einen-vr-modus/

It has the comment by the dev. So I can see that some people bought the game, thinking it will have a VR mode (that you dont have to pay for again) and then be let down.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Well this is awesome, one camera can do room scale at 13x14 as tested by UploadVR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyNKR_-uKfs

The caveat being without something like Chaperone implemented you better be sure your play area is clear, they bumped into shit a couple times. Regardless good to see more confirmation the tracking is this competent, especially with only one camera. Get two in there and you'll probably be golden. Gimme the Touch already Oculus!

That's really impressive and much more accurate then I thought it was going to be. That give me a lot of hope for room scale tracking for PSVR.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

There are going to be many views on this, and I guess each developer will decide what is appropriate.

Very early days and nobody knows how to make money from VR as a platform yet, so we'll no doubt see the same wild west and experiments that came with early DLC on console and PC, along with a range of consumer responses to that.

From my personal perspective as a consumer, I don't care what devs charge because I can choose to purchase or not based on what I consider fair, but not going to get outraged about anything so much as just thinking somebody might have made a bad business decision. As a dev, we'll price at what we feel makes the most sense and what is commercially viable, and at this stage we won't be charging for VR as an "extra" (our Breakneck game on Steam is getting VR support for free for example).

All I know is I haven't had a gaming PC for a loooong time as my work laptop (and mobile phone) has sufficed, but VR is motivating me to get a PC setup for home. The incremental cost of VR games is going to be cheap by comparison.

artsi

That's really impressive and much more accurate then I thought it was going to be. That give me a lot of hope for room scale tracking for PSVR.

It's very good for VR overall I think.

When Oculus can do it (even if it's not the default setup) and PSVR can do it, it will give developers more confidence to create full 360-degree room scale games.

As a dev, we'll price at what we feel makes the most sense and what is commercially viable, and at this stage we won't be charging for VR as an "extra" (our Breakneck game on Steam is getting VR support for free for example).

Sounds good.

I think its more about when people add VR DLC and announce it will be paid DLC before the game AND the DLC are launching. Like if Fallout 5 will have a VR DLC in the future for 5$, I would buy it if they announce it before, but wouldnt buy it if they announce Fallout 5 has VR modes. Look forward to it.
Then it comes out and then they say "But its paid DLC."

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It's very good for VR overall I think.

When Oculus can do it (even if it's not the default setup) and PSVR can do it, it will give developers more confidence to create full 360-degree room scale games.

When VR was first announced I wasn't really bothered about room scale and then I saw quite a few vids demonstrating the potential and I'm sold. It looks fantastic.

I'm really looking forward to VR powered table top gaming. I could spend a lot of time doing that.

Artificial locomotion upsets some people. I've never had much trouble with it. Turning is the main problem and they have the standard comfort mode (basically instantly turning in 45 degree increments. It's neat to physically walk around the environments a bit, even if I keep crashing into my Rock Band 4 drums.

Should I bother installing the Oculus setup before I get the headset or is that just going to complicate stuff later when I do?

It's super easy to restart the setup wizard once you get your headset. I skipped setup and installed a bunch of stuff while waiting for the UPS guy. It was no bother at all restarting the initial setup from the settings menu before I plugged everything in.

Impulsor

Order nº 27

No email no nothing. Europe if it helps.

Confirmed that my order wnt through at :08

I hate how Oculus is handling this.

BrettWeir

Order nº 27

No email no nothing. Europe if it helps.

Confirmed that my order wnt through at :08

I hate how Oculus is handling this.

I'll say it again.....it's become so disastrous that it's comical. I can't help but laugh. 25'er, US. People may receive their Vive's before we receive our Rift's.

I would have imagined that Facebook would have put up the dollars to hire a real PR person/team. Gotta save them doll hairs.

viveks86

The version I just played, was not. I'm glad they give you the resolution scaling option here. Yes, I notice drops on my 980 when I pushed it up to 130%, but the IQ you get from that (I also disabled AA to get a bit of performance back) is in my opinion worth it. The game is beautiful. I've not got past the train car puzzle yet, but the photogrammetry work looks amazing.

When the daylight first fades in after you come out of the train tunnel is a jaw dropping moment. Also, on the bridge with all the broken slats, I almost fell over when I looked down and saw I was stood over a bit that in reality I would have fallen through. Perhaps they could have done with fixing that.

So with a 980, are you able to max out all other effects at 130% (without AA)? Are you running at stocks speeds? What are the drops and by how much? Would love to see some screens too.

Sorry for all the questions :)

BrettWeir

You didn't get any info yet neither?

No sir/ma'am. (PC)

**Edit, I'm not expecting anything until at least Wednesday after Palmer's tweet today. I'll consider myself lucky to see it this week, after seeing that newer shipments are being handled via UPS Ground........

It's super easy to restart the setup wizard once you get your headset. I skipped setup and installed a bunch of stuff while waiting for the UPS guy. It was no bother at all restarting the initial setup from the settings menu before I plugged everything in.

How are you finding the resolution (crispness of the screen)?

iceatcs

Many non-US kickstarters haven't heard too. I assume they do something about that market. Maybe we will get from nearby regional like how they done with the DK2 shipment.

So it was Easter weekend in many places, maybe we will heard more tomorrow when local people back to work.

It's supposed to be 2 day shipping...

I dunno, when I first checked the ups tracking while it was still in processing it said it was using ups ground, once I got the oculus shipped email just now checked ups tracking again and Friday is still there, shipping out of Louisville. We'll see, fingers crossed for earlier.

harSon

Banned
I would just like to say that I hate whoever thought it was a good idea to send an email titled "Oculus Rift is Shipping" that is merely a press release showcasing the fact that the Oculus Rift has officially released.

Compsiox

Banned
I would just like to say that I hate whoever thought it was a good idea to send an email titled "Oculus Rift is Shipping" that is merely a press release showcasing the fact that the Oculus Rift has officially released.

I think it's purposely misleading but I have no idea why they would want to.
For the people in the US who already have theirs, what location is it being shipped from?

Lousiville

You can do this? How??

Can you do it for Elite as well?

For Elite you just go here: https://www.frontierstore.net/frontier_partnerkeys/

You should be able to request your key and then redeem in inside of Oculus Home (Settings -> Redeem Code). Keep in mind that you don't NEED to do this as Elite should work from Steam with the Rift. If they're using OpenVR it potentially may not be using ATW though, in which case it may be better to launch from Oculus Home but I'm not certain of this yet. Regardless, since I'm only getting the Rift to start, I decided to just go ahead and do this and I'll delete my version in Steam since there really isn't any need for two installed copies.

AgeEighty

If you are here to post that you've received a shipping notification, PLEASE include whether you are a backer or pre-orderer and what your order number group is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom