• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't someone with a dev kit get perscription lenses for the oculus? i'm sure something like that might become mainstream if VR picks up. I wear glasses too and would hate to strain my eyes by wearing glasses and a VR headset together, i'd imagine the focus point would really hurt after a while with stuff that close together.

Cyriades

Me currently.. hopefully the GPU I ordered will be here in time for Oculus.

gpu2.png

BrettWeir

Didn't someone with a dev kit get perscription lenses for the oculus? i'm sure something like that might become mainstream if VR picks up. I wear glasses too and would hate to strain my eyes by wearing glasses and a VR headset together, i'd imagine the focus point would really hurt after a while with stuff that close together.

Yep, they are still planning to release this year. And it's a good solution, but it shouldn't be a mandatory one and added expense, for glass wearers to enjoy their HMD.

Is this Facebook's first hardware release? It certainly shows if that's the case.

Well, impatience aside, HTC was supposed to have the Vive on store shelves in December 2015.

Once we have them we will forget this, I'm acting like a kid on December 23rd ... I know this.

But, even Santa wrote me back.

Enordash

In December, then were pretty cryptic about the "soft launch".

I was just as irritated then also.

Just sucks, the hype deflates everyday there isn't info. I did install the software yesterday and that inflated it somewhat.

What's your Oculus tag? If anyone wants to add me, mine is Enordash. Maybe someday we can do some dogfights together... someday.

What's your Oculus tag? If anyone wants to add me, mine is Enordash. Maybe someday we can do some dogfights together... someday.

Same as here, flyinpiranha.

I did buy Chronos and get my key for Elite, just waiting on whatever PCARS is going to do.

For Eve, do we get a key in the box? I noticed Lucky's Tale was free for everybody.

CharlesAlanRatliff is my Oculus username if anyone wants to add me. If the friend setup is anything like the Gear VR, though, there won't be anything we can actually do with Friends right now.

RealMeat

Banned
Anyone know how the resolution setting in project cars works with the rift? Would increasing it have the same effect as setting the resolution past 100% in Ethan Carter?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
In December, then were pretty cryptic about the "soft launch".

I was just as irritated then also.

Just sucks, the hype deflates everyday there isn't info. I did install the software yesterday and that inflated it somewhat.

HTC didn't open pre-orders with December 2015 as launch date.

Cimarron

Played around with more of the free goodies in Oculus Home last night (DK2 user). I have to say that now I understand why Facebook has invested in VR and they are not a videogame company. I took a peek at the 360 video's that they had for concerts and sporting events.... I could totally see my self buying Pay Per View for this! Yeah the resolution (DK2) is not as good as my plasma tv but the feeling of actually being there is freaking awesome! Does this tech work for live streaming? I would totally shell out money for a ring side seat at a UFC match! Of course no where near the actual price of the seat but you see my point. Game changer. And I don't even like concerts.

The movie theater modes are totally fine. I wouldn't watch The Force Awakens but I certainly watch your average fodder on Netflix, Hulu, and Youtube. I hope future tech conferences mimic what Sony did with Playstion Home for the PS4 announcement. It was fun watching the announcement with others via an avatar in a theater.

And about that Oculus version of Elite....

Jupiters C*Ck!

What type of secret sauce did Frontier extract from 1.3? I played 0.8(?) a few days ago on Steam and it did not look this good. The head tracking seams vastly improved. as well. Am I the only one that noticed this? Is it in my head? Bravo Frontier! Well done!

I also played Far Lands for a little bit. Cool game. Reminds me of Pokemon Snap. Hey Lucky if you are reading this thanks for allowing us DK2 owners continue have fun with your products instead of just simply closing us out. And also thanks for the free games! You da man!

BTW my name is magus_cimarron on Rift if anyone wants to friend me.

Kusagari

We're also talking about a delay of two days or possibly a few more, not four months.

Considering Oculus refuses to divulge any information nobody knows how long the delay is.

Nobody is really mad about the delay itself. They're mad about Oculus handling this entire thing horribly in terms of PR.

AgeEighty

Considering Oculus refuses to divulge any information nobody knows how long the delay is.

Nobody is really mad about the delay itself. They're mad about Oculus handling this entire thing horribly in terms of PR.

They have divulged information, though it was vague. Luckey said "hopefully Wednesday". Doesn't seem like his hopes have borne fruit yet, but it's still only noon.

Not great, but not the same as "refusing to divulge information". Anyway.

viveks86

Anyone know how the resolution setting in project cars works with the rift? Would increasing it have the same effect as setting the resolution past 100% in Ethan Carter?

Yes. The game supports both downsampling AA as well as resolution scale. The latter can now be adjusted in the Oculus config file.

What type of secret sauce did Frontier extract from 1.3? I played 0.8(?) a few days ago on Steam and it did not look this good. The head tracking seams vastly improved. as well. Am I the only one that noticed this? Is it in my head? Bravo Frontier! Well done!

Other than whatever optimizations frontier may have done, it's the asynchronous timewarp in 1.3 that seems to be making the biggest difference.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They have divulged information, though it was vague. Luckey said "hopefully Wednesday". Doesn't seem like his hopes have borne fruit yet, but it's still only noon.

Not great, but not the same as "refusing to divulge information". Anyway.

well its noon EST in the US. Its already past the end of the standard business day in most of the world.

TheRed

Idk I don't consider random tweets from Luckey to be communication with their customers. A statement from Oculus directly on their blog and maybe emails to preorders that explains they are having difficulties getting shipments and it's been delayed for a short time.But maybe that's just too professional to expect a big company to do. That would be infinitely better than light damage control tweets from Luckey where's he's proven to not be right and not even sure how and when these things are gonna ship out.

BrettWeir

Idk I don't consider random tweets from Luckey to be communication with their customers. A statement from Oculus directly on their blog and maybe emails to preorders that explains they are having difficulties getting shipments and it's been delayed for a short time.But maybe that's just too professional to expect a big company to do. That would be infinitely better than light damage control leaks from Luckey where's he's proven to not be right and not even sure how and when these things are gonna ship out.

Completely agree. Cryptic tweets is a far cry from PR that was needed a month prior to launch. Hell, they have only added fuel to the fire.

Clockwork5

Haha. Honestly, if it's not charged and shipped today I think I'll cancel (I.E. Vote with my wallet). Not a fan of supporting this approach to business and it speaks volumes in how they will handle all future releases.

Besides the shipping fiasco and lack of communication, the eye glasses thing almost puts a nail in the coffin for me. Although people on Reddit think the best solution is for me to get lasik since I can't wear contacts.........

Forget upgrading your gfx card, you gotta upgrade those eyes!

viveks86

Thanks! Does Vive use this technique or have an equivalent?

It does have something similar. It isn't as much Vive as it is OpenVR/SteamVR. Was revealed fairly recently though and it doesn't seem as robust. Valve is pushing harder to ensure devs hit 90 ALL THE TIME versus relying on ATW. And they are pushing other techniques like adaptive quality to ensure it stays locked at 90

Enordash

I see no Twitter activity from either Oculus or Luckey today. You'd think that they'd at least do some sort of "Today's the day!" type of thing if it were really happening. I agree that it's not so much the delay, it's the total lack of communication around it.

Edit: I was originally tempted to buy and load up some games in anticipation, but that now seems like a mistake. Why don't you want my money :(

charpunk

I see no Twitter activity from either Oculus or Luckey today. You'd think that they'd at least do some sort of "Today's the day!" type of thing if it were really happening. I agree that it's not so much the delay, it's the total lack of communication around it.

Agreed. It is what it is at this point, but the lack of communication is frustrating.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Edit: I was originally tempted to buy and load up some games in anticipation, but that now seems like a mistake. Why don't you want my money :(

To save time, on March 28th I downloaded and installed the oculus software, and all the free games/apps.

to save time..

Yes, but Oculus is a US company, so I think we can agree that Palmer's tweet was probably referring to "Wednesday in the US", yes?

Yeah. I assume they are going by west coast time so I consider them on the clock now until about 9pm-10pm pst tonight to submit some sort of communication to their, potential, customer base.

Could you imagine if the issue is that they are unable to charge cards because they are missing some key piece of data for all preorders. People frantically looking for a solution that wouldn't require each and every preorder customer to resupply their card data.

Could you imagine if the issue is they are unable to charge cards because they are missing some key piece of data for all preorders. People frantically looking for a solution that wouldn't require each and every preorder customer to resupply their card data.

Oddly enough my place of work is dealing with something similar right now. Poor planning was to blame.

Enordash

To save time, on March 28th I downloaded and installed the oculus software, and all the free games/apps.

to save time..

Yea, I've stuck with only free things. I'll play some Lucky's Tale (probably in June or whatever at this point) while the other stuff downloads. On the plus side, maybe they'll fix the install directory requirement for Home and its games by then.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Could you imagine if the issue is that they are unable to charge cards because they are missing some key piece of data for all preorders. People frantically looking for a solution that wouldn't require each and every preorder customer to resupply their card data.

so ship the kickstarters. They still haven't done that except some initial ones.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
No doubt about it, Lucky's Tale is far and away the best game available officially on Oculus. It's a beautifully playing N64-era platform that uses VR to amazing effect while also going easy on the stomach. I was able to play for a good 30 minutes - which is something I can never usually do with the DK2. Can't wait to get the final unit.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So wait, absolutely nothing was shipped on Monday or Tuesday?

I don't know but there wasn't much activity on reddit about KS units going out after Monday. I was initially annoyed at all the US kickstarters going out before the rest of the world, but it seems not even all the US ones did ship yet.

I don't know what it going on but that concerns me because payment issues wouldn't block those.

I don't know but there wasn't much activity on reddit about KS units going out after Monday. I was initially annoyed at all the US kickstarters going out before the rest of the world, but it seems not even all the US ones did ship yet.

I don't know what it going on but that concerns me because payment issues wouldn't block those.

Yep, this worries me too. Is the issue literally putting boxes on trucks? What could possibly cause zero units to ship out on Monday or Tuesday, and apparently none so far today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom