• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enordash

Hi all.
Out of the box, there is a mode for watching movies in a virtual representation of a movie theater.

Based on similar idea, I remember reading that Valve was creating a faux 'Living Room' for playing games while using Steam (with any VR headset).

My Question: is there a Living Room mode for playing games on a virtual 21:9 television? Or, if I want to play games in said virtual Living Room - is the television forced to a generic resolution of 16:9...?

My Rift is to arrive soon. One of the first things I would *like* to do is play a third-person game in 21:9 faux VR, or even three-monitor surround faux VR.

Thanks in advance.

Hmm, I wonder if Virtual Desktop will be able to do this. It's out on Thursday.

Darkdeus

Wait, you can use the DK2 with all the oculus store stuff? You can see the oculus store on DK2?

Yep been playing all the oculus home stuff on my DK2! It was super easy to setup and works perfectly. The new Asynchronous Timewarp (ATW) is such a great improvement. Everything is running buttery smooth now on my 970. Lucky's Tale looks fantastic and is way better than I thought it would be.

Also I have been able to play Steam and non-steam games that are not on Oculus Home with zero issues. They just right up on the rift.

Yep been playing all the oculus home stuff on my DK2! It was super easy to setup and works perfectly. The new Asynchronous Timewarp (ATW) is such a great improvement. Everything is running buttery smooth now on my 970. Lucky's Tale looks fantastic and is way better than I thought it would be.

Also I have been able to play Steam and non-steam games that are not on Oculus Home with zero issues. They just right up on the rift.

Do you mean, you can just play Steam and Non-Steam games in the DK2? If so, how? Is it with SteamVR? Because SteamVR broke for me and doesn't recongnize the DK2 anymore when I installed Oculus Home yesterday.

Hi all.
Out of the box, there is a mode for watching movies in a virtual representation of a movie theater.

Based on similar idea, I remember reading that Valve was creating a faux 'Living Room' for playing games while using Steam (with any VR headset).

My Question: is there a Living Room mode for playing games on a virtual 21:9 television? Or, if I want to play games in said virtual Living Room - is the television forced to a generic resolution of 16:9...?

My Rift is to arrive soon. One of the first things I would *like* to do is play a third-person game in 21:9 faux VR, or even three-monitor surround faux VR.

Thanks in advance.

If this isn't a thing it should become a thing.

Played some Technolust and some more Chronos and Pinball FX2.

Technolust is pretty and runs well, although it's quite prone to the flaring thing. I played up to entering the subway. The arcade games were pretty fun, even though I sucked at Hyper Cube (basically playing four games of tetris at once) and the Manor game where you shoot balls at little robots. Invaders was neat though, and that was the one I managed to beat.

I do miss some of the tasks you previously had to do in the apartment in the earlier versions, and stuff like watching Night of the Living Dead. I wonder if that stuff is still in there somewhere. It was neat doing all that stuff in a small space. I mean it's neat exploring more areas and seeing things that bit more polished in terms of voice work etc.

One of the mini game things where you controlled a lady didn't seem to work for me at all. At least I couldn't figure out how to aim her gun at all. I think it was a problem with head tracking. Not sure.

Chronos I sort of suck at the combat right now... but I'm enjoying it. It's weird how you move from room to room, in a good way. They break the line all the time (IE you exit left and enter right) but your brain still kind of forms a map of the world... but not in a way where you could draw it. I have no real concept of how the rooms fit together, but I can remember my way through them. It felt a bit like playing Zak McKraken in that regard. Odd comparison but there you go.

It runs great on my 980 and the storm sounds oh so good.

Pinball FX 2 is the shit. It's the most 'VR' feeling of everything because of the head tracking and how that works in relation to playing pinball. Playing this standing is an absolute must. It's also the best positional audio I've heard so far. Not totally surprising given how good a job Zen have always done with audio (they have some of the best 7.1 mixes on PS4 believe it or not), but it's a real show case for VR, at least for Pinball fans.

If you like pinball at all and haven't bought this, do. I don't care if you already own these three tables, you won't regret it, and you probably won't ever go back to playing them on a flat screen.

Seriously guys. Zen Pinball FX2. I hope they release more tables.

Geez did they say this was going to be possible? I've got a DK2! This should make the wait till my CV1 way better

UnrealEck

Sorry, I meant to say Zen Pinball FX2 VR.

Have you tried any racing games yet? I got Project Cars today along with a wheel, pedals and stick.
Wondering how well it plays in Rift. I see people saying it causes nausea (which I don't understand since it's a car) but I guess everything causes it for some people.

D

Deleted member 18827

Unconfirmed Member
Playing around with the DK2, Luckys Tale and Farlands are fantastic. Farlands makes me want a VR Pokemon Snap so bad.

Enk

makes good threads.

I think Giant Bomb was the reason why the poster was asking. I have the same set up as Jeff (980 with a 2500K) and he apparently brought up on the podcast that he couldn't get the games to run well. I was really hoping that I wouldn't have to fork over another chunk of money to get this working. Was wondering if someone else on here with a similar setup has had better luck with it.

Cyriades

Anyone here got a 2500k and a Rift that can report on performance?

Going by this chart you have nothing to worry about. What is your GPU?

Steam_VR_test_v1.jpg

Tain

Pinball FX 2 is the shit. It's the most 'VR' feeling of everything because of the head tracking and how that works in relation to playing pinball. Playing this standing is an absolute must. It's also the best positional audio I've heard so far. Not totally surprising given how good a job Zen have always done with audio (they have some of the best 7.1 mixes on PS4 believe it or not), but it's a real show case for VR, at least for Pinball fans.

If you like pinball at all and haven't bought this, do. I don't care if you already own these three tables, you won't regret it, and you probably won't ever go back to playing them on a flat screen.

Seriously guys. Zen Pinball FX2. I hope they release more tables.

You aren't lying, Pinball FX2 blew me away. 100% with you on the audio and the need to play it standing, too.

I'm so fucking happy that TPA announced they'll support the Rift in 2016. I've got a friend that is really into pinball these past few years and has gotten me into it a bit. He owns a few pinball machines and sometimes cycles them, we've been going to events, that sort of thing. TPA on the Rift would quench my thirst to own a real machine.

I'm even seriously curious about the pricing on this bad boy now, lol: https://twitter.com/jerware/status/714640961171623936

Well, for the 6 of you guys who happen to planning on outputting your gaming PC to both a 4K TV and a Rift, the solution is actually really simple.

DVI and DP to HDMI cables or adapters do work! I opened up my old DK1 and grabbed the DVI to HDMI adapter that was included with that, plugged into the open DVI connector on my 980 Ti, plugged the Rift into that, and that was it. Too easy.

If you don't have a DVI connector on your card, a simple passive DP to HDMI adapter will also work.

Relevant thread:
https://forums.oculus.com/community...-confirm-displayport-and-dvi-adapters-do-work

Still waiting on a better solution for the glasses wearing set. Help us out here Palmer!

cheezcake

Yeh his results are sort of what worries me, apparently he called it unplayable?

Steam_VR_test_v1.jpg

I have a 970, I've done this test and scored a 7.9 after I updated my CPU and GPU OC's so was pretty happy after that. But the Giant Bomb guy apparently has an i5 2500k OC'ed to 4.2GHz and a 980 and had a bad experience.

Glassboy

Anyone here got a 2500k and a Rift that can report on performance?
I have a 2500k overclocked to 4.2 ghz and a stock 970 and I have been running every launch game fine. EVE worked fine even. I played it with everything on ultra and didn't notice any drops

Brofist

Yeesh, going by that chart I'm boned with a GTX 970 and i7-4770k

How can you determine anything by looking at that chart. You have a 970/3770k combo sitting at 9.1 fidelity, and a 970/4970k combo way down near the bottom at 5.2. No consistency at all in that chart,

What the hell is that chart? We have been told many times that a 970 and a good processor is enough to run everything well for now. So that is a lie now?

Cyriades

How can you determine anything by looking at that chart. You have a 970/3770k combo sitting at 9.1 fidelity, and a 970/4970k combo way down near the bottom at 5.2. No consistency at all in that chart,

3770k VS 4970k

Is what some would say a sideways upgrade..maybe a 5% performance increase.

It looks like the 3770k had better ram or something that push it over

Evo X

Is there a Google Doc for Gaffers to add each other to Oculus Friend's List?

My tag is DemonFang. Feel free to send a request. Hopefully, I will have my Rift by Friday.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I have a 2500k overclocked to 4.2 ghz and a stock 970 and I have been running every launch game fine. EVE worked fine even. I played it with everything on ultra and didn't notice any drops

maybe he doesn't have it OC-ed?

2500k OC'ed should be fine

Has anyone been able to use their Steam pcars with 1.3?
Did they go the partner code route like Frontier? or demanding that you buy it again for 50 bucks!!

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Has anyone been able to use their Steam pcars with 1.3?
Did they go the partner code route like Frontier? or demanding that you buy it again for 50 bucks!!

They will eventually update the Steam version to work with CV1.

If you own the Steam version + ALL DLC they are going to give out Oculus Home Keys. The Home Store version is going to come with all DLC so that is why.

Wallach

You aren't lying, Pinball FX2 blew me away. 100% with you on the audio and the need to play it standing, too.

I'm so fucking happy that TPA announced they'll support the Rift in 2016. I've got a friend that is really into pinball these past few years and has gotten me into it a bit. He owns a few pinball machines and sometimes cycles them, we've been going to events, that sort of thing. TPA on the Rift would quench my thirst to own a real machine.

I'm even seriously curious about the pricing on this bad boy now, lol: https://twitter.com/jerware/status/714640961171623936

Holy fuck that's cool. I want one.

They will eventually update the Steam version to work with CV1.

If you own the Steam version + ALL DLC they are going to give out Oculus Home Keys. The Home Store version is going to come with all DLC so that is why.

I just did the math and it would be cheaper for me to buy the DLC and get the key than to just buy the Home version ... by about $10 it seems.

Ah well. Got E:D and all the stuff I could get loaded so whenever the hell they decide to update people on shipping, I'll be ready. ... .

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I just did the math and it would be cheaper for me to buy the DLC and get the key than to just buy the Home version ... by about $10 it seems.

Ah well. Got E:D and all the stuff I could get loaded so whenever the hell they decide to update people on shipping, I'll be ready. ... .

I plan on just waiting for them to update the Steam version. As rifts actually start arriving in numbers, the wheels will start to get squeakier for them to get that version patched.

That's because the chart doesn't report if the 970 is overclocked or hell if it's 970 SLI. The SteamVR Performance Test is a strictly a GPU test and it even tells you this when it reports it's result.

The 5.2 score is probably a bad test though, the 970 didn't clock up to 3D clocks or something.

Riptwo

I'm still having an issue where my Rift CV1 says that it needs a firmware update every time that I reboot. Oculus support told me to ensure that it's plugged into a USB3.0 port (which it is), but for some reason it eternally shows up as USB2.0 in settings. My sensor shows 3.0 in all of the ports, but even if I swap the HMD into a port that the sensor reported as 3.0, it still shows up as USB 2.0.

The compatibility checker didn't flag my USB 3.0 ports, so I'm kind of stumped. I'm running a Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 and (theoretically) have all of the latest drivers. Help!

I wonder if it will be possible to continue using the DK2 sensor with the CV Rift. I mean, it works perfectly well with Oculus Home right now, and the Rift is designed to be able to use as many sensors as you have available, right? Has anyone with the final Rift tried using both the included sensor and the DK2 sensor at the same time to see if it works?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I wonder if it will be possible to continue using the DK2 sensor with the CV Rift. I mean, it works perfectly well with Oculus Home right now, and the Rift is designed to be able to use as many sensors as you have available, right? Has anyone with the final Rift tried using both the included sensor and the DK2 sensor at the same time to see if it works?
That would be awesome, actually. Just position it somewhere else and you could conceivably increase room coverage.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Steam_VR_test_v1.jpg

That's the SteamVR benchmark though. Thinks might be different for Oculus SDK. Plus there is also the tracking part who uses the CPU. Who knows where the issue with the 2500k is for the GB guy.

I really can't wait for them to patch the installer to be able to install to a different directory. Moving and Symlink was no go for my environment. I am enjoying Lucky's Tale and Adr1ft nicely with my DK2 and Oculus Home! ATM is fucking awesome, buttery smooth with my r9 295x2 running in a single 290 mode, hope they make due with some of those dual GPU promises.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
please also patch it so we can close that stupid blue 'warning - PC underpowered' banner, just because the oculus software is too simplistic to recognise older CPUs that are probably fine but don't match the specific model list they have.

Weird hearing Jeff from Giantbomb having major problems with framerate with an overclocked 2500k and 980.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
please also patch it so we can close that stupid blue 'warning - PC underpowered' banner, just because the oculus software is too simplistic to recognise older CPUs that are probably fine but don't match the specific model list they have.

Weird hearing Jeff from Giantbomb having major problems with framerate with an overclocked 2500k and 980.

Maybe it's his bandwidth. Is he using OBS?

Have you tried any racing games yet? I got Project Cars today along with a wheel, pedals and stick.
Wondering how well it plays in Rift. I see people saying it causes nausea (which I don't understand since it's a car) but I guess everything causes it for some people.

I'm trying to wait for Assetta Corsa and Dirt Rally to update on Steam to support the Rift since I own them both already (and a wheel!). We shall see if I can hold off. For what it's worth I never had nausea playing either and I have a nice Logitech wheel (I think a G27). I'm waiting on more funds to use on gaming right now before I can buy anything else. Hopefully those will come through today or tomorrow.

UnrealEck

Cool.
I've never been into racing games at all. I think I've owned one or two racing games ever and one was GT3.
I can't drive for shit either.

But if it works well in Rift, my skills improve (a lot), looks good and doesn't make me feel a bit ill, I'm thinking of buying one of those GT Omega cockpits. Turns out their base is 30 minutes drive from me so I might save on postage.

I'm thinking of space flight sims too so I'll likely be getting a HOTAS.

It was either getting all of the above or going Vive. I guess I've settled more on Rift so I can get more stuff for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom