• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enordash

I don't know but there wasn't much activity on reddit about KS units going out after Monday. I was initially annoyed at all the US kickstarters going out before the rest of the world, but it seems not even all the US ones did ship yet.

I don't know what it going on but that concerns me because payment issues wouldn't block those.

So on Friday they said that Kickstarter and preorder units were being shipped which doesn't seem to be true at all. Now they are saying that preorder units will start shipping today (likely...) although a huge amount of Kickstarter units haven't even been processed. This is getting into the whole "fool me once, fool me twice" territory. I don't know how much longer I want to be strung along. Imagine if people could actually walk into a store on Monday and buy a competing HMD. This launch would be even a bigger catastrophe.

Edit: Man, even the Hololens is shipping today :p

Alexm92

Cant wait to get my hands on an OR, although €700 is too expensive for me. Ill probably wait for CV2. I have no idea how long it will be till that comes though. Anyone have any idea?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
At this point I think the best outcome is that people get their Vives before their Rifts ship. It would be entertaining, at least.

I was hoping to have some time with my rift before the vive turned up to help me compare. If the Vive turns up first I think I'll just sell the rift unopened..

From Reddit:

STX9Wm6.png

I would honestly take this over silence right now.

This level of piss taking is amazing.

Alexm92

We don't even know when CV1 is coming.

CV1 is here already. I wasn't asking when CV2 would be delivered to me, I was asking does anyone have any idea about the way Oculus will be refreshed. Will it be like smartphones and refresh every year or will it be like a console and refresh every few years

At this point it seems like it is not going to be shipping out today. And thus probably a number between Zero and Ross will get there preorders delivered this week. At this point I have to assume the 1-3 week number is at best optimistic and my Vive will arrive before my Rift. Oculus is really pissing off a lot of customers with their antics. Why say its shipping to preorders and make a last minute plan to deliver one to Ross. Only to change their tune again and say Wed is the ship date and Friday is the arrival date? And now it appears even that was not accurate. Not to mention Palmers whole if you give a mouse rant. As a huge Rift fan its quite sad to see this launch end up the way it has. Hopefully whatever is wrong is fixed soon or I predict a rolling tide of cancelled pre-orders. Last time I felt this way was when Microsoft announced the One.

CV1 is here already. I wasn't asking when CV2 would be delivered to me, I was asking does anyone have any idea about the way Oculus will be refreshed. Will it be like smartphones and refresh every year or will it be like a console and refresh every few years

That's debatable.

Can anyone in the CV1 Rift describe if there is still any screendoor effect?

How often do you notice pixels?

Is watching Video on the rift like 720p TV?

How is it in comparison to GearVR?

Take photo of the CV1 Lens?

AEdouard

It was a joke.

jack....

Can anyone in the CV1 Rift describe if there is still any screendoor effect?

How often do you notice pixels?

Is watching Video on the rift like 720p TV?

How is it in comparison to GearVR?

Take photo of the CV1 Lens?

The screendoor effect is still there but you really have to look for it.

This is the first headset I've tried where I really don't notice it at all while I'm playing.

It is huge improvement over any headset I've used before, including GearVR.

It was a goof. Of course we don't know when CV2 is coming. I would say less than 2 years is a safe bet though.

The screendoor effect is still there but you really have to look for it.

This is the first headset I've tried where I really don't notice it at all while I'm playing.

It is huge improvement over any headset I've used before, including GearVR.

GearVR has a very obvious Screendoor effect for me, that's why I'm curious

What have you tried?

I ordered it and they cancelled my order probably due to freight.

Well hopefully the ball is moving now with that (hopefully real) Charge. Realistically does anyone think I'll have a Rift in my hands by the end of April? When I pre-orderd the day of that's what I got and I'm also a 32er.

jack....

GearVR has a very obvious Screendoor effect for me, that's why I'm curious

What have you tried?

I ordered it and they cancelled my order probably due to freight.

I've used DK1, DK2 and Note 4 GearVR.

CV1 has by far the least screendooring. It's a pretty huge improvement.

I'm pulling for all you guys, I really am. The vacuum has been absolutely poisonous, between Giant Bomb's 'meh' and FOVgate.

But I admit I'm taking a little bit of pleasure out of being one of the 'chosen' right now. People who have stuck with their pre-orders aren't going to be disappointed I don't think. Not with Ethan Carter, Lucky's Tale, Chronos and Pinball FX2 anyways. I'm done with Eve Valkyrie right now because it screwed up my power saving settings and turned my PC into a hair dried no matter what I was doing, even after multiple reboots. Apparently the fix is to delete whatever power profile you were using at the time and then recreate it.

This is an Eve Valkyrie specific issue. No idea how wide spread.

The sooner everyone is talking about the games and their own experiences with the hardware, the better.

No charge as of yet, 23er.

Like many here, the poor communication is *far* more upsetting than the wait. If they knew that shipping would be late / severely constrained / etc. I think people would have been disappointed, but understanding. This just seems like stringing customers along.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
24er here(this is terrible sounding I dont like it) , no charge

also wouldn't shipping and tax be more than 29.01(since it's 599.99)

the flat 629.00 makes me think it's not real

Mine is flat $629.

Another person in the thread claiming to be charged now. ::shrugs::

We can always hope.

I'm pulling for all you guys, I really am. The vacuum has been absolutely poisonous, between Giant Bomb's 'meh' and FOVgate.

But I admit I'm taking a little bit of pleasure out of being one of the 'chosen' right now. People who have stuck with their pre-orders aren't going to be disappointed I don't think. Not with Ethan Carter, Lucky's Tale, Chronos and Pinball FX2 anyways. I'm done with Eve Valkyrie right now because it screwed up my power saving settings and turned my PC into a hair dried no matter what I was doing, even after multiple reboots. Apparently the fix is to delete whatever power profile you were using at the time and then recreate it.

The sooner everyone is talking about the games and their own experiences with the hardware, the better.

Most people, at least here in the thread, seems mad that Oculus are ignoring normal things.

28th was the launch and it seems they shipped the first normal kits out today witout even giving any information besides it.
Then people who have a KS kit are complaining, that somehow the Rift hurts with glasses on and Oculus didnt ship it with the promised faceplate for glasses...

Their communication is a mess...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Did you have a Dk2? Is the FOV appreciably narrower on the final unit? I always felt it was too narrow on Dk2 and was hoping it would be improved - not reduced. Worried.

Did you have a Dk2? Is the FOV appreciably narrower on the final unit? I always felt it was too narrow on Dk2 and was hoping it would be improved - not reduced. Worried.

I did, and yes, it feels wider to me on CV1. I think they're doing this by increasing the amount of unique information each eye sees (like how your nose gets in the way and occludes stuff on both sides of your vision). It in no way feels like a step back FOV wise, measurements of individual lenses at distances not reflective of how far away your eye is from the lens in each headset be damned.

I scored an unopened Vive Pre for 1200 (including tax) on Ebay. I can't wait for it to get here!! April 1st :)))

Arent Vive Pres just for developers? Kinda sucks you get a free thing from Valve so you can develop stuff, but you think "Hey. I can make money out of it."

Or am I missing sth. here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom