• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most people, at least here in the thread, seems mad that Oculus are ignoring normal things.

28th was the launch and it seems they shipped the first normal kits out today witout even giving any information besides it.
Then people who have a KS kit are complaining, that somehow the Rift hurts with glasses on and Oculus didnt ship it with the promised faceplate for glasses...

Their communication is a mess...

Look, this is all justifiable, and I've been there with my DK1 and DK2, so I know the annoyance, believe me. I'm not saying you guys shouldn't be talking about these things, I'm just saying I hope you all get your rifts soon so we can stop talking about that stuff and start talking about the games and the headset itself.

Oculus are to blame for the vacuum. No one here is to blame for reacting to what has filled that vacuum.

But I love my Rift so far and hope to play with it more tonight.

Compsiox

Banned
Look, this is all justifiable, and I've been there with my DK1 and DK2, so I know the annoyance, believe me. I'm not saying you guys shouldn't be talking about these things, I'm just saying I hope you all get your rifts soon so we can stop talking about that stuff and start talking about the games.

Oculus are to blame for the vacuum. No one here is to blame for reacting to what has filled that vacuum.

I've been there with my DK1 and DK2. This is unacceptable. This is the consumer launch.

27er US West Coast, 5m 59s. My card was charged.
EDIT:
I got the 1-3 week email.
I haven't been emailed by Oculus about the charge or shipping.
Transaction isn't yet in my list, but my available balance is now over $700 less than my total balance (I was charged tax). Must've just happened.

The second redditor to say they got charged has me believing.

Riptwo

I'm pulling for all you guys, I really am. The vacuum has been absolutely poisonous, between Giant Bomb's 'meh' and FOVgate.

But I admit I'm taking a little bit of pleasure out of being one of the 'chosen' right now. People who have stuck with their pre-orders aren't going to be disappointed I don't think. Not with Ethan Carter, Lucky's Tale, Chronos and Pinball FX2 anyways. I'm done with Eve Valkyrie right now because it screwed up my power saving settings and turned my PC into a hair dried no matter what I was doing, even after multiple reboots. Apparently the fix is to delete whatever power profile you were using at the time and then recreate it.

This is an Eve Valkyrie specific issue. No idea how wide spread.

The sooner everyone is talking about the games and their own experiences with the hardware, the better.
Thanks for the heads up! I was trying to solve my CV1 firmware issue by reinstalling drivers, and couldn't figure out why my PC suddenly switched over to full-blast fan mayhem.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ok, good to hear that FOV problems may not be a real issue but now I'm wondering about the glasses thing. Really wish they took a cue from Sony's efforts. The PSVR is just so well designed in that sense.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The only twist left is for thousands of rifts to turn up unannounced on doorsteps before the tracking info goes out.

Ok, good to hear that FOV problems may not be a real issue but now I'm wondering about the glasses thing. Really wish they took a cue from Sony's efforts. The PSVR is just so well designed in that sense.

Yeah, the more I read about FOV the less I am worried about.

From what i hear a lot of people prefer the oval shaped FOV of the Vive over the rectangular shape of the CV1 but both are good.

The only twist left is for thousands of rifts to turn up unannounced on doorsteps before the tracking info goes out.

Didn't this happen during the Kickstarter?

Thanks for the heads up! I was trying to solve my CV1 firmware issue by reinstalling drivers, and couldn't figure out why my PC suddenly switched over to full-blast fan mayhem.

I haven't deleted the power profile yet, but for me switching from Performance to Balanced in the power options in control panel resolved it. I want to go back to Performance ultimately, but I won't have a chance to test deleting the power profile until I get out of work.

p2535748

Look, this is all justifiable, and I've been there with my DK1 and DK2, so I know the annoyance, believe me. I'm not saying you guys shouldn't be talking about these things, I'm just saying I hope you all get your rifts soon so we can stop talking about that stuff and start talking about the games and the headset itself.

Yeah, this is very much where I am. I almost don't want to talk too much about stuff here, because I Completely get people's frustration. Frankly, Oculus has done a really poor job with this launch, especially from a communication standpoint, and there's no excuse for that.

At the same time, I'm really enjoying the time I've spent with it so far, and I want Oculus to get better about getting people their headsets so we can move past this screwup and actually talk about the system.

The problem is, that such a discommunication will turn off people from the company itself and maybe change to a competitor. They are not Valve, who can do that, since they are in the industry for over 15 years .

I still have to wait till July, but maybe change my preorder to a Vita, if some writes a wrapper. Or just wait till July till my order comes.

I actually think the whole communication since the Facebook acquisition has been a joke with "lies" like "We werent allowed to the Vive demonstration" to "It will be in the ballpark of 300-400$ just months before launching" to "a closed ecosystem is good now", after being bought by FB, missing faceplates for glasses wearer to "We ship preorders and KS kits simultanously."
And now the launch is 2 days ago and people are still waiting.

The communication is a joke.

BrettWeir

In a world of fake NX controllers, I won't believe it until I see them with it on their faces.......A Rift, that is. Not a fake NX controller. :)

None of this even matters for people who rely on glasses, it could ship in 1 month or even 6 months, but if specs wearers can't even use the damn thing then a delay is the least of their problems. It made it very easy for me to cancel my Rift yesterday, and stick with day 1 Vive.

artsi

The problem is, that such a discommunication will turn off people from the company itself and maybe change to a competitor. They are not Valve, who can do that, since they are in the industry for over 15 years .

I still have to wait till July, but maybe change my preorder to a Vita, if some writes a wrapper. Or just wait till July till my order comes.

I actually think the whole communication since the Facebook acquisition has been a joke with "lies" like "We werent allowed to the Vive demonstration" to "It will be in the ballpark of 300-400$ just months before launching" to "a closed ecosystem is good now", after being bought by FB, missing faceplates for glasses wearer to "We ship preorders and KS kits simultanously."

That would hurt Palmer's feelings, lol.

You're right, I've been positive about Oculus myself but patience is running very thin here.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I guess I'm less worried about shipping since I'm planning to bring mine back from the US after E3. As long as it arrives before June!

Nzyme32

I'm out of the loop on what these Oculus launch issues are. What's been happening? Dispatch was later or something?

Yep! Just a different strap and no phone connectivity

Apparently the material on the underside of the controllers has also been changed in the consumer version of Vive.

Compsiox

Banned
I sort of feel like waiting one more day just so we can add any of today's nonsense to the timeline.

By Friday I will upgrade this from Debacle to Travesty.

Please just don't make a replacement launch thread I worked hard on this and the disaster has always been referenced in the title.

Please just don't make a replacement launch thread I worked hard on this and the disaster has always been referenced in the title.

You better hope Palmer ships those units then!

I probably won't do it anyway unless Oculus updates with another delay that is newsworthy.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
This sounds like another Palmer move.

Charge and ship a couple so he can double down on his tweet and say he wasn't technically wrong.

I feel like I'm in for a multi week ride through Palmer's bullshit.

Alexlf

Charge and ship a couple so he can double down on his tweet and say he wasn't technically wrong.

I really doubt Palmer has any control over the shipping process.

BrettWeir

Digging this one today. Especially the top right:

HF2qba7.jpg

Riptwo

I haven't deleted the power profile yet, but for me switching from Performance to Balanced in the power options in control panel resolved it. I want to go back to Performance ultimately, but I won't have a chance to test deleting the power profile until I get out of work.
Yeah, I did the same, and immediately heard a major difference in fan noise and my CPU temps went back to normal levels. Madness.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

He sure does when he knows masses won't ship today and doesn't want to be called out on Twitter.

This isn't a huge corporation where the top is far removed from the trenches. Palmer is very involved in this project.

TheRed

This is possible, and the people that got charged probably won't even have any shipping info, then he'll say maybe Friday.
Unless the floodgates just open today I'm not expecting to get my Rift for a while, I'm just gonna forget I ordered it so I can be surprised when it finally comes. All hype is gone.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm out of the loop on what these Oculus launch issues are. What's been happening? Dispatch was later or something?

Apparently the material on the underside of the controllers has also been changed in the consumer version of Vive.

Launch originally 28th. Tweet from Palmer last Friday saying kickstarters and preorders starting to ship that weekend to arrive by the 28th.

Only a handful of kickstarters, only in the US, get their rifts. Nobody that preordered except customer #1 that got his hand delivered by Palmer.

New update by Palmer on Monday (?) saying preorders and kickstarters will ship mid week (likely Wednesday). We are now past the end of Wednesday business day for most of the world and only a couple hours away from it ending EST at least. No news..

Compsiox

Banned
Maybe they're going to charge all the ones shipping today at the same time so that there's a huge wave of joy and happiness that overlaps the hate.

BrettWeir

My guess is that shipping a shit load of units was probably on his radar. After his comments about pre-orders exceeding everyone's expectations, they should have been scrambling like hell to hire a resource to sort all of it out and handle it.

Considering the Rift is the only product they are producing, I have a slight guess that he did have control over logistics regarding shipping and resources to accommodate appropriately.

If not, they need to fire the whole team that didn't.

Enordash

I do feel a little bad about mucking up the OT with launch complaints. I swear all I want is to talk about the games.

Maybe they're going to charge all the ones shipping today at the same time so that there's a huge wave of joy and happiness that overlaps the hate.

Usually that's what happens, which is why one ore two people claiming to have been charged is odd.

You tend to charge in batches and the system goes through them fast. You should have hundreds of people being charged almost at once.

BrettWeir

This is possible, and the people that got charged probably won't even have any shipping info, then he'll say maybe Friday.
Unless the floodgates just open today I'm not expecting to get my Rift for a while, I'm just gonna forget I ordered it so I can be surprised when it finally comes. All hype is gone.

Which goes back to my post earlier this morning. Remember, Palmer LOVES April Fool's Day! Biggest buildup to the worst April Fool's Day prank of all time.

/conspiracy!

I can attest to the first statement.

I MIGHT be a day 1 rift shipment?(but no idea because of the lack of communication)
I haven't been charged yet and have no clue if it's shipping soon.
I could cancel now and preorder a vive, which is currently at may for the release date. May isn't that far away, and the communication has been 1000 x better, and it comes with more interesting looking games (though lucky's tale looks neat). Plus after tax and shipping, the difference is only about 150 bucks

I know it's only temporary but I really don't feel like "you'll get it when you get it" is a great approach for a 700 dollar purchase

also I wear glasses, as does my wife

the lack of the faceplate is fucked up

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
With this shitstorm it's making me feel like my July shipment is optimistic. I'm considering switching to the Vive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom