• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ontarian backer here, got mine. Just had to pay the ~$90 taxes on it. Basically all my free time over the past 2 days has been devoted to it lol.

Thanks.

Seems like we have a lot of people with actual units who haven't been talking about them much on here.

Probably due to all the shipping discussion.

Sorry.

edit: more orders getting charged it seems. Someone at 7:59.

jack....

Yeah, I can't wait till this is cleared up and we can get back to talking about how awesome this thing is because it's pretty awesome.

BrettWeir

The time extended to 7:59 on email confirmation of notification.

Makes me curious how many orders were actually able to be placed between 8:00 and 8:07 with all of the site errors.

**Edit, 8:00 now. So, it's slowly getting closer for those that received the 1-3 week emails.

YuShtink

The time extended to 7:59 on email confirmation of notification.

Makes me curious how many orders were actually able to be placed between 8:00 and 8:07 with all of the site errors.

**Edit, 8:00 now. So, it's slowly getting closer for those that received the 1-3 week emails.

Somehow it looks like a ton of people were able to order before 8 too

BrettWeir

Yeah but I'll bet there are far more people between 8 and 8:05 than between 7:55 and 8.

I could definitely see that being the case.

And as stated previously, it appears that order numbers dont mean anything. Mine was placed at 8:06:04 and I have a 25. People with orders at 7:58 had an order number of 27.

Glip_Glop

I could definitely see that being the case.

And as stated previously, it appears that order numbers dont mean anything. Mine was placed at 8:06:04 and I have a 25. People with orders at 7:58 had an order number of 27.

Interesting, here is my info

11:05:40 AM GMT-5:00 and I'm a filthy 26er

Riptwo

Yuck. UPS fees. So they pay it for you and you pay them? Ontario will be about $100 extra. before a UPS fee.
You can call UPS and pre-pay duty to save on their $10 minimum fee for advancing the money. You'll still get hit with duty, but at least it'll be a bit cheaper.

Also, Legend of Dungeon added a Rift compatible VR beta on Steam. It's pretty slick!

Sorry, I haven't been paying the strictest attention since I knew it was going to be at least a month for me, but is this "1-3 weeks" email just that? Ships somewhere between 1 and 3 weeks?

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. I ordered my CV1 based on the information that I could use my glasses with it.

People have small glasses, big wide glasses, glasses that goes closer to the eyes or farther away... people have different faces, and different notions of comfort.

In other words: don't believe anything you read on Internet. :p

Yep it seems that order numbers were meaningless.

I'm sure they were sequential, but their site was being hammered hard that morning, and the order numbers were probably getting reserved, released and re-used as people tried to pre-order and lost connection.

That's so sad, it's funny. It really highlights the poor communication that the community is resorting to digging around in site code to try and figure out where they are in line.

I'm at 16:12:47. Guess I'll be waiting a while. But my immediate order confirmation on Jan 6th said "March"...one day left.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Is there typically a difference between order confirmation time of the email and order placement time?

My order confirmation says XX:07 and I received the 1-3 week email.

I won't be near a PC with Chrome for a couple days so I can't do the developer tools bit.

iceatcs

If you don't have Oculus processing's email over the weekend (aka 1-3 weeks shipping, not the newsletter one)
Then likely you won't get this batch shipping. I assume 1-3 weeks mean for all US and international people.

There are number of Kickstarters and rest of the pre-orders still waiting for the processing email.

I think no one outside know how many they sent over last weekend for few Kickstarters; and when is the next batch.
I assume only one pre-order got Rift by hand-in.

viveks86

Information Security. To expand, global cyber security & fraud.

May be that explains why you think like that? Delays aren't THAT catastrophic in other jobs. People don't get fired for minor delays in logistics of shipping a low-medium volume consumer product. The loss of firing people far supersedes the loss from said delay. And to be honest, I don't really think there is any actual delay from their original plan. This is more a PR mess from vague, slipshod tweeting than a logistics mess.

All this will be long forgotten in a week or two (hopefully). Other than a handful of impatient, hardcore enthusiasts, this literally affects nobody. Nobody needs to get fired. They just need to fix the way they communicate and set expectations.

What sort of a place have you been working for? Serious question.

That's what happens normally in jobs. If you suck at it, you get fired, unless its a government job, they you basically can't ever get fired. I'd wager about 80% of people have jobs that they aren't qualified to have and should be let go. But that's just me, I see it all the time in IT where people who hold these super high positions are absolute morons and I can't fathom how they got the job in the first place

EDIT: http://kotaku.com/a-lot-of-people-don-t-really-know-when-their-oculus-rif-1768066690

Seems like they may have done everything between :52 to :00 today.

That's not bad. Wonder if that means we will see more tomorrow or we will have to wait until next week for the next wave. Seems to have died off for today.

Thanks, looks like my chances are essentially nonexistent. I'm in a march batch, but at the end and closer to April than anything. Glad I woke up super early to preorder, definitely was fun constantly entering payment information for 15 minutes while everyone else had already successfully ordered. Thanks Oculus!

That's not bad. Wonder if that means we will see more tomorrow or we will have to wait until next week for the next wave. Seems to have died off for today.

pepe-the-frog-meme-4.jpg

MFW you shouldn't have even been able to order before :00.

I'm seeing more people that were after 8:00 getting emails now.

BrettWeir

May be that explains why you think like that? Delays aren't THAT catastrophic in other jobs. People don't get fired for minor delays in logistics of shipping a low-medium volume consumer product. The loss of firing people far supersedes the loss from said delay. And to be honest, I don't really think there is any actual delay from their original plan. This is more a PR mess from vague, slipshod tweeting than a logistics mess.

All this will be long forgotten in a week or two (hopefully). Other than a handful of impatient, hardcore enthusiasts, this literally affects nobody. Nobody needs to get fired. They just need to fix the way they communicate and set expectations.

You're probably right. Before that, I was in the military. You made a mistake, people lost their lives. So that's the mentality I come from.

Enordash

I was going to get through the portions of the GB stream that I missed in order to hype me up. I was friending a bunch of people on Home in the hope that I'd have my Rift soon. I just closed the video. I'm not going to bother with any of it. Seems like the only way to keep the disappointment in check. Hopefully there will still be people here when the dust settles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom