• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the....?
I went from...."Hey, we're shipping your Rift soon."
To...."Hey, your Rift shipped."
To...."Hey, your Rift is in Kentucky now, but you'll have it in Seattle tomorrow by 3pm."

All in the span of two hours of emails.

I mean, I got the "1 to 3 weeks" email several days ago, but I'm surprised that they are apparently overnighting this sucker.

$65 shipping to Canada. They better fucking overnight it.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I'm disappointed they didn't get to the 8:06ers and I fear it is going to be awhile before they do - despite the March estimate. Today still didn't feel like the flood gates opened, so I'm hoping more go out each day. I am prepared to wait the 3 weeks though.

I hate that I live like 20 minutes away from where all of the Rifts are shipping from. So close but so far away.

pQWYH0x.gif

And now i just need a consumer lvl HMD goddammit!

Guess I'll post my impressions here as well

Just got done playing with the 1.0+ SDK and oculus home and games, for the first time, on my DK2. I must admit I'm pretty impressed with what I've seen so far. Most everything is so smooth! This must be all that ATW action. I recently got a 970 and I was playing with some DK2 games on it and they weren't running so well. I was starting to get nervous. Not nervous now. Oculus's min 90 fps requirement is great. Forces the developers to optimize the game more. I like not having to mess with graphics settings to get things to run good. Just start the game and it just works.

It's super easy to pop in and out of games. Way better than SteamVR's current incarnation.

I played VR Tennis Online and Adr1ft. VR tennis makes me want my table tennis sim with motion controls way more.

I've got a i5 4670k OC'd to 4.2 Ghz, gtx 970 stock OC, 8GB RAM, Win 7

I did feel a little bit of eye strain, but I'm going to chalk that up to the DK2 and most likely not perfect IPD setting.

Honestly, the experience with the DK2 was so good that I wondered a couple of times whether or not I even need the CV1.

Anyone play Technolust yet? How is it?

Thanks for reminding me. My code came earlier this week.

How many gaffers are receiving one tomorrow? How many will be experiencing VR for the first time? I really want to hear those impressions.

The most recent Bombcast got me worried that my 2500k won't be enough for VR. I only really want to upgrade my GPU (from a 570 to one of the newer Pascals coming out soon).

Anyone have any experience using a 2500k?

Valient

The most recent Bombcast got me worried that my 2500k won't be enough for VR. I only really want to upgrade my GPU (from a 570 to one of the newer Pascals coming out soon).

2500k is one of the best CPU, still going strong after 5 years, overclock that bad boy to 4 to 4.5 GHZ with a cheap cooler. I would wait one more generation as the most recent ones are not much of an improvement unless you do multitasking.

The GPU will be your biggest upgrade, i have mine running with a 2500k@ 4.5 and GTX 970 and easily pass the Vive test

Pingoreous

Well guys i requested a cancellation for my rift. Hopefully that gets some of you closer. Am just gonna wait for them to be available at a store like amazon. I had enough uncertainty with my "march" pre-order.

Compsiox

Banned
Well guys i requested a cancellation for my rift. Hopefully that gets some of you closer. Am just gonna wait for them to be available at a store like amazon. I had enough uncertainty with my "march" pre-order.

That's like in forever. I know Oculus is being shit right now but this uncertainty is better than waiting months.

artsi

So instead of April 1st or something you're ready to wait until August - September?

Respect.

But honestly, I'm thinking about switching to Vive too here.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
So instead of April 1st or something you're ready to wait until August - September?

Respect.

I'm leaning to Vive now, too. Although I'm in the July estimate for Rift, so it's not like I'd be losing an early spot in line or anything.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I'm just waiting it out. As a DK1 and DK2 owner, I had decided I wanted to get the Vive. In December I sat there with money in hand and after their delay with no communication until 0 hour, I decided I was done with HTC. I also didn't have confidence that they would even be around in a few years so I switched to wanting a Rift.

I guess the moral of the story is that neither of the companies are perfect. Pick what you are comfortable with and just stick with it.

Pingoreous

Respect.

The Vive has a May ship date right now. The 1 to 2 month wait can be beneficial to see how things turn out. Against my better judgment i climbed aboard the hype train. At least HTC knows how to manufacture so there's hope they can make more available sooner.

I think the worst part of this is the people that have received it not being able to really talk about it in the middle of this negativity (mine included).

I think I'm going to back off on that for a while. It's not helping. I always tell others "being angry doesn't help solve anything" ... and here I am being angry about a multibillion dollar corporation not sending me my toy in time.

I am pretty excited about the games coming out. I did purchase Chronos but I don't think many Day 1'ers are going to do that due to the price. Some of the 'experiences' look awesome. I remember the one animation one on the DK2 (monster story or something?) and it was pretty damned neat. The whole family liked that one.

I do believe Oculus as a company has our best interests in mind when it comes to this. We are what makes or breaks them. This first wave of perception is what can move their company forward.

So I don't believe there is malcontent. And if it's anything like my work when our production servers are down, it's a bunch of people yelling "WE KNOW DUDE WE'RE WORKING ON IT" before we figure out what to say in a PR release to our clients.

Here's to a rocky start, but it's a start, nonetheless, and that's what really makes this a pretty amazing time to be part of this. This is a paradigm shift.

Enordash

I think the worst part of this is the people that have received it not being able to really talk about it in the middle of this negativity (mine included).

I think I'm going to back off on that for a while. It's not helping. I always tell others "being angry doesn't help solve anything" ... and here I am being angry about a multibillion dollar corporation not sending me my toy in time.

I am pretty excited about the games coming out. I did purchase Chronos but I don't think many Day 1'ers are going to do that due to the price. Some of the 'experiences' look awesome. I remember the one animation one on the DK2 (monster story or something?) and it was pretty damned neat. The whole family liked that one.

I do believe Oculus as a company has our best interests in mind when it comes to this. We are what makes or breaks them. This first wave of perception is what can move their company forward.

So I don't believe there is malcontent. And if it's anything like my work when our production servers are down, it's a bunch of people yelling "WE KNOW DUDE WE'RE WORKING ON IT" before we figure out what to say in a PR release to our clients.

Here's to a rocky start, but it's a start, nonetheless, and that's what really makes this a pretty amazing time to be part of this. This is a paradigm shift.

Yea, I'm pretty guilty here as well. Sorry, everyone! It's disheartening to see all the people above that want to jump ship and I'm sure my comments in here haven't helped. I do appreciate people stopping by with impressions.

I do plan on picking Chronos up when I get my shipping confirmation. Seems like a must-play for launch. Crossing my fingers for good news tomorrow.

Really happy to see that Albino Lullaby runs perfectly on my PC now. Not sure if it's async timewarp or some other wizardry, but I'm happy with the 90 fps. It's a fun game if you can handle stick locomotion in VR.

Pingoreous

Sorry to be negative about i know the product is great. The delay helped me realize that i should of waited and i hope you guy have fun.

Sorry to be negative about i know the product is great. The delay helped me realize that i should of waited and i hope you guy have fun.

No worries, as mentioned I was just as guilty. I completely understand people jumping ship. This doesn't bode well for how the Touch release will go either ... but while we all the right to complain, I noticed it drowning out some of the more positive news and press, as well as community reviews, which is the most important part of NeoGAF IMO.

I did purchase Chronos but I don't think many Day 1'ers are going to do that due to the price.

Yeah, I feel a little bad for some of these devs, as they have the double whammy of having a really small install base plus having to compete with lots of free content that Oculus put out just to have something for early adopters to do.

I'm waffling on Chronos, I did pick up Adri1ft though. But I feel like I'll be playing a lot of Lucky's Tale and Eve Valkyrie before I get to either of them.

At least HTC knows how to manufacture so there's hope they can make more available sooner.
...than two days? Sheesh, people are talking as if there was this 4 month delay that was only announced at the last second after months of no communication...but that was HTC. Oculus only had a two day delay, and it seems obvious it's because they wanted to ship Kickstarters first, and they even got theirs earlier than Oculus claimed.

I did purchase Chronos but I don't think many Day 1'ers are going to do that due to the price.
I dunno, it's one of the best, deepest looking games on the device, me and my friends are all buying Chronos. I mean, VR Zelda, by the developers of one of the best GearVR games!

Compsiox

Banned
I always do.

Has anyone tried NoLimits 2 by the way? Seems pretty intense (which I would argue is a good thing for a roller coaster simulator), and they are adding support for 1.3 as we speak.

I had amazing fun with NoLimits 1, so if it's the same people buy it.

Wallach

Looks like they are using next-day delivery for shipping right now. At least people should not have to wait long once their order gets moving.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
2500k is one of the best CPU, still going strong after 5 years, overclock that bad boy to 4 to 4.5 GHZ with a cheap cooler. I would wait one more generation as the most recent ones are not much of an improvement unless you do multitasking.

The GPU will be your biggest upgrade, i have mine running with a 2500k@ 4.5 and GTX 970 and easily pass the Vive test
You are way off base suggesting that modern CPUs are not an improvement. Moving from a 3570k to a 5820k made a world of difference in terms of gaming performance while using the same GPU. Not to mention the other tasks I perform are so much faster.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You are way off base suggesting that modern CPUs are not an improvement. Moving from a 3570k to a 5820k made a world of difference in terms of gaming performance while using the same GPU. Not to mention the other tasks I perform are so much faster.

I might consider a 6 core when I update so my kids plex serving doesn't impact my gaming

guys GUYS.

Descent Underground (prequel to the original from the 90s) now has CV1/1.3 support now. It's still an Early Access game so expect issues if you pick it up, but know that there's another game to keep on your radar if you're into space combat-like 6dof games. It's gotten great reviews, though I have yet to install it myself (I do own it).

http://store.steampowered.com/app/360950/

lmimmfn

In the welcome thing, it culls objects from view that are still visible in the left eye. It's most annoying. Hopefully they fix it soon.
Unfotunately this is pretty much on par with Steams support for new Oculus SDK's all along, which will be annoying down the line if you decide to buy most VR games on Steam( as they'll all be unavailable until fixed on new Oculus SDK ), which i will be doing especially if Oculus Home games cant be modded( havnt even looked at this myself yet though ).

That said, moving forward Oculus SDK's are supposed to be backwards compatible so only new games on new SDK's should be affected.

Notifications at 2am in the morning? Are they shipping from the US, and we're going to get them slowly plus import taxes?

Edit: the positive side of all this nonsense is that it's distracting me from Gaf melting down over a simple update to the ps4.
Yep, seems like EU shipments will be done ~2am from now on. No confirmation on where theyre shipping from or what the situation is with taxes( i doubt there will be taxes/import duty ) as no EU order has recieved tracking yet. Im selfish i hope its Ireland as if i got notification email tonight i could have it tomorrow lol.

lmfao@PS4K thread, haha been following that also to pass the time.

BrettWeir

Gooood morning everyone!

I like the turn the thread has taken. You guys put me in good spirits :) I'll jump on board the "no negativity train".

Today should be fun. Getting to hear more GAF'ers impressions as opposed to media outlets. Even KS backers reviews and unboxing vids are few and far between.

For those of you that get yours today, congrats!!!!

UnrealEck

Why not run the benchmark?
I know that an i7 920 with a 980 Ti still gets like 10.7 (out of 11) or something. That's probably overclocked though, but a 2500K might still be faster than a 3.8GHz i7 920 even when the former is at stock clocks.

I think a 2500K, especially with a fair overclock will be fine with Rift/Vive.
So what do you guys think, more units shipping thursday and friday or next batch of units ship out next week or later?

I'd think they'll ship small batches (per manufacturing depot) as they're passed QA.
So probably shipping every day or two is what I'd assume.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Why not run the benchmark?
I know that an i7 920 with a 980 Ti still gets like 10.7 (out of 11) or something. That's probably overclocked though, but a 2500K might still be faster than a 3.8GHz i7 920 even when the former is at stock clocks.

I think a 2500K, especially with a fair overclock will be fine with Rift/Vive.

I'd think they'll ship small batches (per manufacturing depot) as they're passed QA.
So probably shipping every day or two is what I'd assume.

They shouldn't be sending anything from the factory - they should be shipping in bulk from the factory direct to regional distribution and then shipping from there

And there shouldn't be lack of stock -they've had months to build up inventory. If they are supply limited then that really isnt good news

I never overclock and I really should. I have this strange fear something is going to blow up in my face. Also, not getting my rift this week gives me time to do a thorough computer cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom