• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Order number 31, just checked, still no update in shipping eta or status.

Would be odd if my Rift did not get here before my Vive, as it is scheduled for May.

Still going to keep both, unless before my Rift ships, someone gets Rift only titles working on the Vive, then I will of course cancel my Rift.

BrettWeir

Well you know how it is, you roll into work at noon and before you know it 3 o'clock hits and it's quittin' time!

giphy.gif

Order number 31, just checked, still no update in shipping eta or status.

Would be odd if my Rift did not get here before my Vive, as it is scheduled for May.

Still going to keep both, unless before my Rift ships, someone gets Rift only titles working on the Vive, then I will of course cancel my Rift.

It's less about your number and more about when it processed on their server.

Mine was :06 past the hour.

It's nice to finally see proof of life. I think things will settle down a bit if this is a daily thing. If not, people will start to get frustrated again.

BrettWeir

It's less about your number and more about when it processed on their server.

Mine was :06 past the hour.

It's nice to finally see proof of life. I think things will settle down a bit if this is a daily thing. If not, people will start to get frustrated again.

Definitely. It's nice to see the cogs finally starting to spin. Even with very few going out, at least it's a start.

I imagine anyone who got the 1-3 week email is getting it in the next 1-3 weeks (shocking).

I would be curious about the time range of that group more than the order numbers at this point.

DSN2K

for me when something has fully launched you can go into a local store and buy one And for me in UK that will be when the likes of Tescos, Argos have them in stock and that is at least 6+ months off imo.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4cl56j/order_shipments_are_about_order_time_not_order/

Looking at the data here I have a bad feeling those of us who got our order in 6 minutes past the hour and received the 1-3 week email are in the third week.

This is most likely going to be a weekly thing then.

They got in everyone from before :00 am today.

Next week will cover around :01 to :03 or : :04 and the third week will cover up to :06.

There seems to be a large amount of orders in that :05 to :06 range.

That's my theory.

AgeEighty

Ugh. I was at the 17 minute mark, despite trying to get a preorder in since five minutes before the hour.

Looks like I may have a long wait ahead of me, but hopefully they'll be processing more orders over the next few days.

For the sake of science, can you try tweaking the engine/BaseEngine.ini file to get resolution scaling to 200%? Would be interesting to see how much more it clears up details in the distance. Also, if you could share these ini files, it would give an idea of the settings that are running under the hood for VR.

That file isn't there in this version and the config files under My Games in My Documents are encrypted. So I can't tell you anything I'm afraid or try forcing 200%. I haven't tried console commands though. That might work (I doubt it though).

robotrock

Banned
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4cl56j/order_shipments_are_about_order_time_not_order/

Looking at the data here I have a bad filling those of us who got our order in 6 minutes past the hour and received the 1-3 week email are in the third week.

This is most likely going to be a weekly thing then.

They got in everyone from before :00 am today.

Next week will cover around :01 to :03 or : :04 and the third week will cover up to :06.

There seems to be a large amount of orders in that :05 to :06 range.

That's my theory.

7 minute order checking in.

I'm crying

BrettWeir

Read that the Kentucky shipping center accepts dropoffs for next day air up until 11:55 pm . Keep on going Oculus!

Seeing as the posts have seemed to stop (about people receiving confirmation) for the day, it really makes me wonder if they had an inventory issue/problem.

I don't see why that would be the case, Doctor. If they were constrained the way you're saying, then the number of orders that went out today would have taken a week. There's no reason for them to not send as many as they can every day.

charpunk

I really wish they didn't tell me I would get it in March when I ordered, then I wouldn't be as upset about the whole thing. Guess I'll just go back to my dk2.

I don't see why that would be the case, Doctor. If they were constrained the way you're saying, then the number of orders that went out today would have taken a week. There's no reason for them to not send as many as they can every day.

I think they have a slight delay in their time table but I don't think they are necessarily supply constrained any more than we would have expected. If there is a restraint it might simply be man power/flow of product to shipping.

The order times match up to the 1-3 week emails so it's my theory that everything between :54 and :06 (with some :07s mixed in) will ship within that time frame.

It's certainly possible that they fulfill everything much faster within those three weeks. Maybe they get all of them out within the first two weeks. Just remember that if you're close to the :06 side instead of the :01 your order will take longer to ship.

But Doc you're not responding to what I said. They got the first "wave" out today, but you're saying they'll wait a week before sending the second one, and then another week for the third? Why would they do that?

May be that explains why you think like that? Delays aren't THAT catastrophic in other jobs. People don't get fired for minor delays in logistics of shipping a low-medium volume consumer product. The loss of firing people far supersedes the loss from said delay. And to be honest, I don't really think there is any actual delay from their original plan. This is more a PR mess from vague, slipshod tweeting than a logistics mess.

All this will be long forgotten in a week or two (hopefully). Other than a handful of impatient, hardcore enthusiasts, this literally affects nobody. Nobody needs to get fired. They just need to fix the way they communicate and set expectations.

"Firing" could just as easily be changing companies you use for a process, it happens quite often at all scales. I doubt they'd fire internal people.

They should be working with a PR company though, this is a fucking joke.

I mean, scraping XML to find out when you ordered something. I regret not pre-ordering both and having the luxury of cancelling right now.

Where are you guys getting this minute mark thing? And I am still pissed, I had everything ready the first damn minute and their stupid fucking site kept giving me a credit card error. I ahould be in the front of the line not the back.

viveks86

Lol. I feel you. Was there ready to go, F5ing before launch time and couldn't get my order through for 26 minutes.

Same. Tried credit card first, then paypal. Then credit card, then paypal. Then F5, F5, F5, F5... Then credit card.

Got through at minute 33! :/

It still said April. And my Vive is coming in the first wave, so I'm in no hurry.

But Doc you're not responding to what I said. They got the first "wave" out today, but you're saying they'll wait a week before sending the second one, and then another week for the third? Why would they do that?

I am not saying I know anything for sure. I am just saying they gave a three week window for orders that were place between 3:54 UTC and 4:06/4:07 UTC.

My assumption is that if their estimated window for any orders placed within that time frame is three weeks expect that shipping could be weekly instead of daily.

That's just my hunch. I could be completely wrong. I have a 4:06 UTC order so I hope I am because I would fall in the third week most likely.

Why? Like I said. It could be their supply chain is bottlenecked. That doesn't mean they don't have units necessarily. They just don't have the means to get them out daily. That wouldn't be a surprise considering their shipping issues thus far.

I got my kickstarter backer CV1, with a nice signed card. I am really happy with it so far, but my roommates are almost home from work, and I have a super stupid question.

I have the projector running so that they can see (on the television) what I'm seeing while playing Lucky's Tale. But is there any way to get the sound to come out through the PC speakers as well? We usually play games together as a family, and I realize that that is not exactly a primary use case of VR, but it would be nice if I could get sound as an option.

I am not saying I know anything for sure. I am just saying they gave a three week window for orders that were place between 3:54 UTC and 4:06/4:07 UTC.

My assumption is that if there estimated window for any orders placed within that time frame is three weeks expect that shipping could be weekly instead of daily.

That's just my hunch. I could be completely wrong. I have a 4:06 UTC order so I hope I am because I would fall in the third week most likely.

Why? Like I said. It could be their supply chain is bottlenecked. That doesn't mean they don't have units necessarily. They just don't have the means to get them out daily. That wouldn't be a surprise considering their shipping issues thus far.

Ah, I gotcha. Nothing would surprise me at this point. What a clusterfuck of a launch.

lmimmfn

That file isn't there in this version and the config files under My Games in My Documents are encrypted. So I can't tell you anything I'm afraid or try forcing 200%. I haven't tried console commands though. That might work (I doubt it though).
So all configs are encrypted? Presuming the whole game is? Didn't realise Oculus Store was going to be another walled garden unmoddable store, worrying if true.

spannicus

Maybe they are only making 20 a day and some poor souls are working overtime to put these things together. In my head i see bad things hehe.

viveks86

I must say, this is the softest hardware launch I've ever witnessed. Really makes me wonder how many units they had in the inventory. Perhaps they are coming straight out of the assembly line? :D

I must say, this is the softest hardware launch I've ever witnessed. Really makes me wonder how many units they had in the inventory. Perhaps they are coming straight out of the factory? :D

The first Rift came off the production line at the beginning of October. How could they not have a shit-ton stockpiled? Again though, I would absolutely believe it at this point. Something along the way fucked up big time, I just hope we find out what happened.

I'm just sitting here with a pre-order that was placed on Jan. 12. :( At least I don't have to stress over shipping because mine won't come until at least June.

Oh, who am I kidding? I want VR now.

Bizzquik

What the....?
I went from...."Hey, we're shipping your Rift soon."
To...."Hey, your Rift shipped."
To...."Hey, your Rift is in Kentucky now, but you'll have it in Seattle tomorrow by 3pm."

All in the span of two hours of emails.

I mean, I got the "1 to 3 weeks" email several days ago, but I'm surprised that they are apparently overnighting this sucker.

jack....

What the....?
I went from...."Hey, we're shipping your Rift soon."
To...."Hey, your Rift shipped."
To...."Your Rift is in Kentucky now, but you'll have it in Seattle tomorrow by 3pm."

All in the span of two hours of emails.

I mean, I got the "1 to 3 weeks" email several days ago, but I'm surprised that they are apparently overnighting this sucker.

Yeah, they're doing UPS Next Day Air for all of the US shipments.

Compsiox

Banned
I must say, this is the softest hardware launch I've ever witnessed. Really makes me wonder how many units they had in the inventory. Perhaps they are coming straight out of the assembly line? :D

It's like the mail trucks are literally at the end of the assembly line and take off when full.

The first Rift came off the production line at the beginning of October. How could they not have a shit-ton stockpiled? Again though, I would absolutely believe it at this point. Something along the way fucked up big time, I just hope we find out what happened.
How could something have fucked up big time, yet all that happened was the preorder shipments were delayed two days? Seems to me that's something small that would cause that...like maybe just maxing out how many their shipping company can ship in one batch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom