• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmimmfn

I never over lock and I really should. I have this strange fear something is going to blow up in my face. Also, not getting my rift this week gives me time to do a thorough computer cleaning.
You should try it to extend your hardware life, im still on my ancient 6-7 year old x58 rig. Nowadays as long as you have a good cpu cooler it practically automatic if you stay within the limits, i.e do a 20% overclock, run 65prime95 blend test for 20 minutes and check temps, if ok increase OC by 10% etc. until you find your max and when you have the max dialed in with decent temps reduce it by ~5% for everyday use.

GPU OC's is the same procedure but quicker as you can do it with Afterburner

charpunk

I never over lock and I really should. I have this strange fear something is going to blow up in my face. Also, not getting my rift this week gives me time to do a thorough computer cleaning.

I've used the time to finally gut my PC room to make space for oculus and vive. Still debating on making a ceiling pulley system.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I've used the time to finally gut my PC room to make space for oculus and vive. Still debating on making a ceiling pulley system.

You might want to wait until the things are actually out and with stuff to play before potentially ruining your ceilings. I mean, we all dream of the holodeck future but with the current content I don't see the justification just yet. I wonder how much people will actually end up playing with these headsets after the initial weeks of owning them.

charpunk

You might want to wait until the things are actually out and with stuff to play before potentially ruining your ceilings. I mean, we all dream of the holodeck future but with the current content I don't see the justification just yet. I wonder how much people will actually end up playing with these headsets after the initial weeks of owning them.

I've had a dk2 for awhile and have been thinking about better ways to handle cable management. Rift isn't going to be much of an issue since pretty much everything is a seated experience for now. Mostly concerned about the vive.

You should try it to extend your hardware life, im still on my ancient 6-7 year old x58 rig. Nowadays as long as you have a good cpu cooler it practically automatic if you stay within the limits, i.e do a 20% overclock, run 65prime95 blend test for 20 minutes and check temps, if ok increase OC by 10% etc. until you find your max and when you have the max dialed in with decent temps reduce it by ~5% for everyday use.

GPU OC's is the same procedure but quicker as you can do it with Afterburner

I will take a look.

Enordash

It's great that every review I've seen so far has had nothing but great things to say about the headset. IGN dinged it a point due to the motion control not being out yet, but obviously that's not a worry in the long run. It sounds like we're all in for an incredible experience.

Anyone beat Lucky's Tale yet? I went from no interest to mega hype on this game in the last week.

jack....

The most recent Bombcast got me worried that my 2500k won't be enough for VR. I only really want to upgrade my GPU (from a 570 to one of the newer Pascals coming out soon).

Anyone have any experience using a 2500k?

You will be fine with a 2500k but you will get a message in Oculus home that never goes away telling you that you don't meet minimum spec. As long as you are over 9000 in the Firsestrike benchmark you should be OK.

I'm using an overclocked FX-8350 with an R9 390 and I haven't had any trouble maintaining 90fps. Mostly playing EVE Valkyrie.

Darkdeus

I always do.

Has anyone tried NoLimits 2 by the way? Seems pretty intense (which I would argue is a good thing for a roller coaster simulator), and they are adding support for 1.3 as we speak.

Yea it's done very well. I've demod it to a number of people who loved it. Only one person felt a little bit sick. The graphics and sounds are extremely immersive. Kids also seemed to really like it and were screaming like they were on a real rollercoaster and saying they could do it all day.

I only have tried the demo version though but would like to get the full game.

Yeah it would be great to have it before the weekend. I haven't touched Elite Dangerous for a long while now because I just want to play it in VR at this point.

jaypah

Yea it's done very well. I've demod it to a number of people who loved it. Only one person felt a little bit sick. The graphics and sounds are extremely immersive. Kids also seemed to really like it and were screaming like they were on a real rollercoaster and saying they could do it all day.

I only have tried the demo version though but would like to get the full game.

It's totally worth the money, especially with all of the free coasters on Steam Workshop. I can literally ride coasters all day, it's very well done.

It's totally worth the money, especially with all of the free coasters on Steam Workshop. I can literally ride coasters all day, it's very well done.

...I hadn't even thought about this, and now I am very excited.

I think that's emblematic of VR in general: there are so many possible experiences that it's hard to keep up. It's going to be fun to watch this shake out.

Please lord, ship my Rift today.

Why not run the benchmark?
I know that an i7 920 with a 980 Ti still gets like 10.7 (out of 11) or something. That's probably overclocked though, but a 2500K might still be faster than a 3.8GHz i7 920 even when the former is at stock clocks.

I think a 2500K, especially with a fair overclock will be fine with Rift/Vive.

I won't have any way to run it because I only have a 570 right now. So I know going in I'm going to get a poor overall score.

I would need to upgrade my GPU first in order to have that as a part of the overall score to see if the CPU is a problem.

I just don't have the funds for an overall re-build right now, but could fit in a new GPU. If I need a new CPU I would just hold off on buying a new GPU if I have to be ready for or VR

UnrealEck

I won't have any way to run it because I only have a 570 right now. So I know going in I'm going to get a poor overall score.

I would need to upgrade my GPU first in order to have that as a part of the overall score to see if the CPU is a problem.

I just don't have the funds for an overall re-build right now, but could fit in a new GPU. If I need a new CPU I would just hold off on buying a new GPU if I have to be ready for or VR
I didn't think about that.
People have done benchmarks with that CPU or, like I said, similar (i7 920 is a bit slower) and they seem pretty capable.

I think if you can hold off and save it'll reward you when Pascal comes out. You might even have enough for a high end card and a good CPU like a 6700 or 5820.

I didn't think about that.
People have done benchmarks with that CPU or, like I said, similar (i7 920 is a bit slower) and they seem pretty capable.

I think if you can hold off and save it'll reward you when Pascal comes out. You might even have enough for a high end card and a good CPU like a 6700 or 5820.
That's probably where I'm at. Thanks for the advice!

Seems like they shipped to some European KS backers in yesterday's batch as well. People waking up to emails this morning.

There is a Canadian preorder with an order in 2 minutes before the actual preorder time and didn't have their unit shipped. That has me curious.

It looks like Virtual Desktop just launched on Steam for $14.99

http://store.steampowered.com/app/382110/

Keep in mind that he won't be able to put it on Oculus Home because it doesn't support Windows 7.

Literally just came in to post this.

Wasn't it delayed so they could work out a way to offer Oculus Home keys for Steam purchases until they put in Win 7 support?

Edit: Yup. Game gives you a key the first time you launch it. Just pop that in on Oculus Home and it should work.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Literally just came in to post this.

Wasn't it delayed so they could work out a way to offer Oculus Home keys for Steam purchases until they put in Win 7 support?

Yes. According to the developer:

Developer said:
You will get prompted with a key the first time you launch the app on Steam. Simply copy the code to the clipboard then in the Oculus client go to Settings > Account > Redeem Code and you'll be able to access the app from Oculus Home.

vermadas

VorpX is working with 1.3 SDK now:
https://youtu.be/toUZICNnlA0

Not up for public download yet.

As a side note, does anyone know if any injector solutions work (or are planning to work) with a 3rd person following camera? For a game like Dark Souls for instance. I know it's been done with first-person games (and mods that turn 3rd person into 1st person) but I think it would still work well.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
VorpX is working with 1.3 SDK now:
https://youtu.be/toUZICNnlA0

Not up for public download yet.

As a side note, does anyone know if any injector solutions work (or are planning to work) with a 3rd person following camera? For a game like Dark Souls for instance. I know it's been done with first-person games (and mods that turn 3rd person into 1st person) but I think it would still work well.

I haven't really tried many third person games but the short answer is... kind of. They are playable in virtual cinema mode in VorpX. I recall doing this with Witcher 2 but what I don't remember is how well it worked but I seem to remember it being in proper 3d. You can get things positioned to where you don't really know you are in the virtual cinema.

EDIT: It also looks like the Vanishing of Ethan Carter VR DLC for steam is available. I will eventually pick it up. I know some people are torn about this but I have no doubt a decent amount of work had to go in to the VR version of Ethan Carter for the menus alone. Not having full VR support from the menus to game was one of the biggest annoyances during the DK stages of VR.

I haven't really tried many third person games but the short answer is... kind of. They are playable in virtual cinema mode in VorpX. I recall doing this with Witcher 2 but what I don't remember is how well it worked but I seem to remember it being in proper 3d. You can get things positioned to where you don't really know you are in the virtual cinema.

EDIT: It also looks like the Vanishing of Ethan Carter VR DLC for steam is available. I will eventually pick it up. I know some people are torn about this but I have no doubt a decent amount of work had to go in to the VR version of Ethan Carter for the menus alone. Not having full VR support from the menus to game was one of the biggest annoyances during the DK stages of VR.
Anyone know if this game is coming to the Vive, or is it an Oculus exclusive?

BrettWeir

The first report of being charged yesterday was about 1:45 EST yesterday. Hoping we see more movement today around an hour from now.

Cross your fingers!

**Edit.......someone posted a few minutes ago they received their email. Canadian with a 7:54 AM EST order time. A loooong way to go for those past 8:00 AM.

I am seeing reports already on Reddit. Glad I am wrong but now I have a concern that Canadians are not getting charged.

People :05 past the hour.

Edit: Saw a new charge on my CC but it was my Virtual Desktop order. Bleh!

Edit: 05 seems to be one person. Rest are :01.

The Ethan Carter VR DLC is up on Steam. I still don't know where to buy it.

Here's hoping they get at least as far as the :05s today!

I hate to be a Doctor Downer again but now that we are past the official preorder starting mark of :4:00 UTC there will probably be a lot more orders per minute. It could take them a while to get to :05.

I expect up to :03 today.

I enjoy being wrong though.

I hate to be a Doctor Downer again but now that we are past the official preorder starting mark of :4:00 UTC there will probably be a lot more orders per minute. It could take them a while to get to :05.

I expect up to :03 today.

I enjoy being wrong though.

Bruv keep making these predictions, the opposite seems to always happen! :D

Bruv keep making these predictions, the opposite seems to always happen! :D

Ha.

so I have worked out the Canadian situation. They didn't ship any Canadian orders yesterday. Today they have started shipping them but the time stamps suggest they are starting at :-00 UTC so before the official preorder start time. Good thing there are less of us so the chances of catching up should be fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom