• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaulerX

Wtf, how many of these things are shipping? At this rate its gonna take forever.
Ordered mine at 11:30

Tell me about it. I ordered around the same time as you. I'm super excited to get this yet it's super depressing reading this thread. I have the money in the bank ready to go but I'm afraid the longer it takes the bigger the chance that I'll end up spending it for whatever and risk a declined charge attempt 😐 . A little bit of clarity from Oculus would go a long way here.

spannicus

Tell me about it. I ordered around the same time as you. I'm super excited to get this yet it's super depressing reading this thread. I have the money in the bank ready to go but I'm afraid the longer it takes the bigger the chance that I'll end up spending it for whatever and risk a declined charge attempt 😐 . A little bit of clarity from Oculus would go a long way here.
If they are sending very little out by the second or minute whatever you ordered, this is gonna be slow unless they ramp up shipping. Not really sure whats going on just know it sucks as if they are coming off the line as i write this.

iceatcs

How do you find out when you completed the KS survey?

Same as preorder.
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4cl56j/order_shipments_are_about_order_time_not_order/

Follow the instructions

4:01:16 UTC would be an example of the server time you are looking for.

4 - This is the hour in UTC when orders began.
:01 - This is the minute (obviously)
:16 - This would be the seconds (obviously, again)

Should be shown March 15th for all of KS order with own time.

Riptwo

EVE is so fun but I think if I had any issues with motion sickness at all it would probably make me barf.
Yeah, EVE isn't a good time for me. Seems fine when I'm going forward, but as soon as I add any other degree of movement, it's a bit stomach churning. Not as bad as early DK1 stuff, where I couldn't even walk around the Tuscany demo without feeling nauseous, but I can only play for about 10-15 minutes so far.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah, EVE isn't a good time for me. Seems fine when I'm going forward, but as soon as I add any other degree of movement, it's a bit stomach churning. Not as bad as early DK1 stuff, where I couldn't even walk around the Tuscany demo without feeling nauseous, but I can only play for about 10-15 minutes so far.

not tried it, and I know the general consensus is that cockpit games are ok. But isn't your body expecting some g-force when you climb/dive/bank? I can imagine the lack of any kind of physical feedback to be really odd.

MaulerX

Has anybody reported on if motion sickness pills work with this? Has anyone even tried? Lol. I mean, they work great for me when out at sea fishing etc... so as weird as it may sound I'll be keeping a bottle near by for when I eventually get my Rift.

Enordash

not tried it, and I know the general consensus is that cockpit games are ok. But isn't your body expecting some g-force when you climb/dive/bank? I can imagine the lack of any kind of physical feedback to be really odd.

I've flown military manned flight simulators and they definitely made me ill when doing any sort of advanced movement. The fidelity on these were much lower though. The word is that you have to develop "VR legs" so I'm not surprised by the initial reactions.

RealMeat

Banned
EVE is so fun but I think if I had any issues with motion sickness at all it would probably make me barf.

It's funny, I've had zero issues in EVE (or most other games) but walking around slowly in Ethan Carter made me feel a bit woozy. Having the cockpit for reference really seems to help.

Enordash

The silence is a bit ridiculous. Poor form.

They have to know there's a huge amount of confusion and negativity around this launch. I'm also really surprised they haven't said anything. If they just said, "Hey guys, we're having some problems getting units out the door. We'll update you asap", I think people would honestly be OK with that. I know that I'd feel better about it.

Someone had a theory on Reddit that I think could be possible. Oculus may have discovered some hardware defect or production issue that affected a large number of the units. They may have to be going through all their stock to find unaffected units before shipping them, which is why so few are going out each day.

This is pure speculation of course, but all we can do is guess.

Someone had a theory on Reddit that I think could be possible. Oculus may have discovered some hardware defect or production issue that affected a large number of the units. They may have to be going through all their stock to find unaffected units before shipping them, which is why so few are going out each day.

This is pure speculation of course, but all we can do is guess.
Eh, I think speculating is useless and just a bit of self torture.

They have to know there's a huge amount of confusion and negativity around this launch. I'm also really surprised they haven't said anything. If they just said, "Hey guys, we're having some problems getting units out the door. We'll update you asap", I think people would honestly be OK with that. I know that I'd feel better about it.

I agree. It's unprofessional. My confirmation, and presumably the ones of the many people ahead of me in line, said it would ship in March. For us to find out otherwise because the month is actually over is absurd. Any other major company, and probably most others, would have communicated otherwise at least a couple of days ago, probably along with a new estimate.

I think everyone would understand a delay. I can't think of any rationale for the lack of communication.

g4sgW53.png
Oh, fuck off.

[EDIT] I shouldn't be so offended. I doubt his silence is this charade is his own choosing.

Enordash

I agree. It's unprofessional. My confirmation, and presumably the ones of the many people ahead of me in line, said it would ship in March. For us to find out otherwise because the month is actually over is absurd. Any other major company, and probably most others, would have communicated otherwise at least a couple of days ago, probably along with a new estimate.

I think everyone would understand a delay. I can't think of any rationale for the lack of communication.

They just need to get out there and answer the few questions people have. Why didn't anything ship on Monday and Tuesday? Will "March" preorders be delayed into April and how far can we expect them to be delayed? Will there be any sort of apology surrounding this launch rather than silence?

BrettWeir

They just need to get out there and answer the few questions people have. Why didn't anything ship on Monday and Tuesday? Will "March" preorders be delayed into April and how far can we expect them to be delayed? Will there be any sort of apology surrounding this launch rather than silence?

My guess is we won't hear a darn thing. They've pretty much made their stance on communication abundantly clear.

I'm excited but patient. However, not sure what to think of that tweet. Later he snipped the "as soon as possible" part of the image to respond to someone who asked when? Weird. They are dribbling out at a pace I find troubling. It'd be nice to know if it was a logistics issue or a manufacturing issue though as a publically traded company, I'm sure they have to be very careful how they release that information.

lmimmfn

Same as preorder.

Should be shown March 15th for all of KS order with own time.
Not true, out of curiousity i just checked. KS backers will only get the current time for preorder_time using that method. Easiest way is to check emails from Kickstarted to check the confirmation of survey completion time.

Its looking very likely I will get my Vive before my rift. My Vive was a 10:02EST USA order time vs my Rift's 10:05EST USA order time. HTC just charged my card, so should ship soon. With the Rift shipments still at 10:01 orders, I think its likely it will be about a week or so before my Rift arrives. If Im lucky by next weekend.

I don't think they need to be so detailed as that. A very simple new estimate would be fine. "We estimate that we are running 2 weeks behind our original timeline. We apologize for the delay." would be fine.

Oh, and the glasses thing. They should address that.

I'll be honest, if my Rift doesn't ship until May I'll probably cancel and get a Vive instead if they're still shipping then (I'm tempted to put in a pre-order now just in case). As a number 30 whose order didn't go through until 24 minutes past, it's looking more and more like a possible scenario lol. Hopefully they can get their shit together soon and open the shipping floodgates.

I don't think they need to be so detailed as that. A very simple new estimate would be fine. "We estimate that we are running 2 weeks behind our original timeline. We apologize for the delay." would be fine.

Oh, and the glasses thing. They should address that.

Naw, I think that sort of response would have been acceptable on Monday, but not now.

TheRed

About to place an order for the Vive, pissed that I've already bought a game on Oculus home, silly me thinking I'd be able to play it soon. Actually gonna hold off for now, I hope Oculus makes a statement tonight or tomorrow morning of what's going on.

I can handle these questions, though I don't work for Oculus. Monday and Tuesday they were shipping Kickstarter orders. And duh, orders that were estimated to possibly ship in March will ship in April starting tomorrow. So far there is no delay. And what exactly do they need to apologize for?

I can handle these questions, though I don't work for Oculus. Monday and Tuesday they were shipping Kickstarter orders. And duh, orders that were estimated to possibly ship in March will ship in April starting tomorrow. So far there is no delay. And what exactly do they need to apologize for?

Lies?
Palmer was saying they ship KS and Preorders at the same time. Seems that wasnt true.
Same with the faceplate that was supposed to be included for glasses wearers. At least in the KS kits, there is no such thing and some people complain that compared to DK 1+2 it really might hurt using the Rift with glasses or being a worse experience with it.

Btw:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4csakq/estimate_promise/

"Estimate != Promise"

By VR-Researcher. According to some Redditors that guy is someone working for Oculus judging by his insider-posts. Might even be Brendan Iribe or Palmer himself...

I love the idea that Palmer is posting under a pseudonym. I doubt it's him, but that would be hilarious if it was.

VR-Researcher said:
Certain partners, when they screw up, disallow companies from publicly stating their mistake.

Lies?
Palmer was saying they ship KS and Preorders at the same time. Seems that wasnt true.
Same with the faceplate that was supposed to be included for glasses wearers. At least in the KS kits, there is no such thing and some people complain that compared to DK 1+2 it really might hurt using the Rift with glasses or being a worse experience with it.

Btw:

"Estimate != Promise"

By VR-Researcher. According to some Redditors that guy is someone working for Oculus judging by his insider-posts. Might even be Brendan Iribe or Palmer himself...
And they did ship Kickstgarter and preorderers at the same time - did they not both come this week, in the month they estimated? As for the faceplate, the statements about that were made last June, they obviously changed their mind; that's not lieing (and I've heard the exact opposite, that the final Rift Is more comfortable for glasses-wearers than DK2 - I've paid close attention because I wear glasses myself).

Dunno what your link is about, the text was deleted.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Lies?

Btw:

"Estimate != Promise"

lol now that account is deleted. Take that for what you will I guess.

EDIT: That was the same account that first predicted around the time orders would ship yesterday fwiw.

BrettWeir

As for the faceplate, the statements about that were made last June, they obviously changed their mind; that's not lieing (and I've heard the exact opposite, that the final Rift Is more comfortable for glasses-wearers than DK2 - I've paid close attention because I wear glasses myself).

Dunno what your link is about, the text was deleted.

Sorry friend. You heard wrong.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4chacy/im_having_difficulty_wearing_glasses_in_cv1/

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Naw, it just does that when you delete a post. The account is right here, and has posted as recently as 4 minutes ago.

Thanks.

Looks like the thread was just deleted to create a better description.

edit: fail link: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4csc3e/certain_partners_when_they_screw_up_disallow/

Looks like we are on full on conspiracy mode with people thinking it is Palmer. I'm mildly amused by this bungled launch now. Does that mean I made it all the way to the acceptance stage?

What in the world did it say to get deleted that quickly?

Just check the link I posted above. It is the same message.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom