• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Giving a numerical score to a piece of hardware, especially an unprecedented one, is really weird.

Exactly what I was thinking.

So, someone suggested that there are no :02 or :04s due to the site going down. So it would go from :01 to :03 to :05. Apparently there was an :03 that had a failed charge to their card so it's entirely possible since I haven't heard of any :02.

Edit: Anyone actually receive their Rift today. I feel bad that this thread is all shipping.

Edit 2: Apparently the :03 person was :01. So we have only see :01 to :01 today so far.

BrettWeir

I'm a 26'er US and got my order in at 8:13.

How likely is it I'll even get an April ship date?

Ignore the "26" part. The time is what you need to be wary of. Right now, they are up to 1 minute after the hour. Yesterday's orders only spanned a total of 6 minutes of placed orders (IE, they managed to place orders before the official time of 8:00 AM EST). So far only 10 reports of charges/shipping for today's orders. But that's only Reddit user base.

**corrected time. user reported 3 minutes after the hour for order time, when it was 1 minute.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Does anyone know the exact merchant name used when you get charged? I just want to call my bank and make sure they allow the charge. I'm sure as a +6er it isn't happening today but damn I don't want to be one of the people caught up in fraud protection.

BrettWeir

Does anyone know the exact merchant name used when you get charged? I just want to call my bank and make sure they allow the charge. I'm sure as a +6er it isn't happening today but damn I don't want to be one of the people caught up in fraud protection.

Oculus VR LLC according to my PayPal.

I'm :08 or earlier so its tomorrow or the next day for me.

They did :01 today.

Just :01. Unless they start at it again.

I am 4:06:04 UTC. I am glad that I am early in :06 because judging by the spreadsheet there are a lot in the :05 to :06 range. That seems to be the bulk of the early orders just before the site went crazy.

There aren't much in the range from :01 to :04.

charpunk

They did :01 today.

Just :01. Unless they start at it again.

I am 4:06:04 UTC. I am glad that I am early in :06 because judging by the spreadsheet there are a lot in the :05 to :06 range. That seems to be the bulk of the early orders just before the site went crazy.

There aren't much in the range from :01 to :04.

I'm at :06:12 so I know the pain lol

RealMeat

Banned
Has anyone played Chronos enough to get to the first boss? He's being a pain in the ass.

Are you running away from him the first time you see him? I wasted a few lives by trying to fight. Haven't got to the point where you actually fight him. Does anyone know if your character has a max age? I'm wondering how much I should stress out about dying. I know your physical attributes get more expensive as you age, but magic gets cheaper.

Seiru

Banned
I thought being a :16 was pretty good with all the site troubles when it first went up. All you <:10 people are really making me depressed.

Thanks! How do you do that? Can it be done wirelessly?

Not in the PRE.

You have to start them in update mode (pressing the back button) with the usb cable connected before connecting the power supply.

This way they will be recognized by the SteamVR and update.

The controllers and HMD are plug and update.

Compsiox

Banned
Not in the PRE.

You have to start them in update mode (pressing the back button) with the usb cable connected before connecting the power supply.

Okay sounds good. Thanks a bunch!

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Sorry if this was covered. How do you know what time you ordered at?

(I assume this is what the :01, :03 stuff refers to)

TheRed

It's sad that ordering 6 minutes after preorders opened will likely have me getting my rift after people start getting vives. Especially since I've read people that ordered vive 8 minutes after those opened are already getting charged 5 days before they claim their launch is, that means they intend to have most people receiving them on the 5th. Obviously Rift probably got a lot more orders but this is still barely a launch.

Enordash

Didn't Luckey say something about not giving preference to review outlets as their stock was low? Seems that all the review outlets have a Rift while we get to wait. Maybe I'm wrong on this though.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Didn't Luckey say something about not giving preference to review outlets as their stock was low? Seems that all the review outlets have a Rift while we get to wait. Maybe I'm wrong on this though.

I think it was youtubers and bloggers. Major outlets still got one.

Enordash

I think it was youtubers and bloggers. Major outlets still got one.

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

Edit: Went ahead and bought Virtual Desktop and installed it through Home. Excited!

Edit2: Charpunk, RealMeat, give us the low down on how good/bad Chronos is.

iceatcs

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4cl56j/order_shipments_are_about_order_time_not_order/

Follow the instructions

4:01:16 UTC would be an example of the server time you are looking for.

4 - This is the hour in UTC when orders began.
:01 - This is the minute (obviously)
:16 - This would be the seconds (obviously, again)

I'm kickstarter backer. My order is 03/15/2016 @ 8:41pm (UTC)

Likely they doing time stamp on KS as well after the email survey. Not the backer number.

Likely they doing time stamp on KS as well after the email survey. Not the backer number.

Kickstarters are in a completely different camp. They are shipping those out concurrently with preorders at this point.

lmimmfn

Kickstarters are in a completely different camp. They are shipping those out concurrently with preorders at this point.
Shipping of KS's is based on region then the order in which the survey was answered

So I got an email that Divinity Original Sin:EE is getting a VR patch? That's awesome. It will be like looking down on a battlefield.
Wow, thats fantastic news, was planning on getting DOS:EE at some stage, but will pick it up as soon as it has a VR patch.

charpunk

Are you running away from him the first time you see him? I wasted a few lives by trying to fight. Haven't got to the point where you actually fight him. Does anyone know if your character has a max age? I'm wondering how much I should stress out about dying. I know your physical attributes get more expensive as you age, but magic gets cheaper.

I got to the point where you are supposed to fight him but he's just not dying.

RealMeat

Banned
So I got an email that Divinity Original Sin:EE is getting a VR patch? That's awesome. It will be like looking down on a battlefield.

Sounds like it may have been an early April fools joke, unfortunately. A game like that could be really cool in VR, like playing with DND miniatures.

Compsiox

Banned
Not in the PRE.

As an added thank you i thought id let you know Cloudlands Minigolf demo came out today!

iceatcs

I know, but that time stamp still big part because the backer numbers seem random order, therefore they must be follow the time order of 15th March KS order day.

fred

I can't believe that they've messed up this launch so badly so far. Having it launch on Easter Monday probably hasn't done them many favours but even so I was expecting them to have shipped their March orders by now and be part of the way through shipping April.

I can see A LOT of pre-orders being cancelled unless HTC have a disastrous launch of their own.

I'm also wondering what's going to happen in April when they have retailers being able to sell them..? If they're back-ordered until July with Oculus I can't see them getting that many units to sell at retail.

I'm still going for a Rift myself for several reasons - I can't afford one until November and getting a Rift means I can spread the cost of the motion controllers to next year, I prefer the functionality and design of the Touch controllers and the Oculus Home exclusive games are very attractive to me.

But if I can't get one in November I may be tempted to go for a Vive myself despite the extra expense. :eek:/

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4cl56j/order_shipments_are_about_order_time_not_order/

Follow the instructions

4:01:16 UTC would be an example of the server time you are looking for.

4 - This is the hour in UTC when orders began.
:01 - This is the minute (obviously)
:16 - This would be the seconds (obviously, again)

I'm 4:08:06, and I've received the shipping mail (the one with the 1-3 weeks thing), so the info in that reddit post isn't entirely accurate. I'm in Norway, and I suspect that matters.

I can't believe that they've messed up this launch so badly so far. Having it launch on Easter Monday probably hasn't done them many favours but even so I was expecting them to have shipped their March orders by now and be part of the way through shipping April.

Well, in general terms they messed up the launch, but not for what happened this week, but more globally, all the delays they had. They should have released it at the end of 2015. Or in the other hand, if the had to delay it up to March 2016, release it with Touch controllers. But they weren't capable of neither.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom