• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrettWeir

Yes, and with no break preorders started receiving theirs. I consider that "at the same time" when a company is unable to ship large amounts at one time.

So your single person's opinion means the ones I've read were wrong, eh?

Wow man. The dude even had pictures and dimensions of his glasses. I've heard nothing but complaints about the glasses issues and CV1. Not sure where you're reading these glorious reviews about how amazing the CV1 is with glasses, but please link them so the rest of us glasses wearers can put our minds at ease.

Yes, and with no break preorders started receiving theirs. I consider that "at the same time" when a company is unable to ship large amounts at one time.

Alright. I assumed reading that Oculus reddit, that KS backers only got theirs.

And if that VR-Researcher is Palmer, at least he answered my question. Seems it might not be shipping issues.

Wallach

Alright. I assumed reading that Oculus reddit, that KS backers only got theirs.

And if that VR-Researcher is Palmer, at least he answered my question. Seems it might not be shipping issues.

It would be nice if it were some kind of payment issue honestly, as it would likely mean things would unfuck themselves pretty quickly when it got solved.

TheRed

I can handle these questions, though I don't work for Oculus. Monday and Tuesday they were shipping Kickstarter orders. And duh, orders that were estimated to possibly ship in March will ship in April starting tomorrow. So far there is no delay. And what exactly do they need to apologize for?
This seems silly, there's obviously a delay considering the vast majority of people with March estimates have heard nothing and also pretty much no shipments happened on their "launch day" except to a handful of backers, then only a handful of preorders in the last 2 days. You don't have to literally wait until April to realize it's delayed. Also if you're a customer that doesn't use reddit and had a March estimate you'd have no idea about anything because Oculus hasn't officially said anything.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Oh, fuck off.

[EDIT] I shouldn't be so offended. I doubt his silence is this charade is his own choosing.

I was told the Facebook acquisition would impact Oculus in any way and they would be autonomous....

Either fuck off Palmer, fuck off Facebook, or Fuck off both.

Vrolik

It would be pretty stupid if history were repeating itself, but something almost identical to this happened when the DK1 shipped. Kickstarter backers were getting units but everyone else wasn't getting anything, and there was no word from Oculus. For about a month or more.

It turned out US Customs was holding all the shipments of the Rifts (besides the few that got through initially) in California because Oculus didn't fill out some paperwork correctly or something and thousands of Rifts were just hanging out for a month or more in limbo. The rage on the forums was pretty intense, so if this goes on for a few more weeks expect some real fireworks.

I was told the Facebook acquisition would impact Oculus in any way and they would be autonomous....

Either fuck off Palmer, fuck off Facebook, or Fuck off both.

The FB acquisition impacted FB big I would say both in positive and negative ways.

Without it I doubt we would have Rockband VR and maybe even other technical things, that Facebook helped with (communications/relationships with huge companies).

Because of it we went from "VR should be an open plattform" to "We have Headset-exclusive titles."

BrettWeir

I can't help it. The hilarity continues:

Lp2hJSG.png

just got done playing some Lucky's Tale and Technolust, on DK2. Lucky's Tale is a nice little game. Technolust should benefit from the CV1 tech.

Some guy that is either an Oculus worker or pretends to be one:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4csk5n/the_shipping_update_you_didnt_want_to_hear/

One of our manufacturers fucked up. It's more than just the missing inserts. I'm surprised no one has figured it out yet. It's the optics. Notice how the reviews of the engineering samples didn't mention the "glaring" problem of our Fresnel lens? That's because the problems were slight. Our lens are amazing. But the lens shipping with our stockpiled Rifts are ... not defective ... but are an old version. And we didn't find out until the first Kickstarter complaints came in.

This seems silly, there's obviously a delay considering the vast majority of people with March estimates have heard nothing and also pretty much no shipments happened on their "launch day" except to a handful of backers, then only a handful of preorders in the last 2 days. You don't have to literally wait until April to realize it's delayed. Also if you're a customer that doesn't use reddit and had a March estimate you'd have no idea about anything because Oculus hasn't officially said anything.
There is no delay unless a date was promised and they missed it. And even shipments that happen over the next week that were March estimates aren't missed dates, because it was an estimate. As for Reddit, you're wrong, Oculus announced what was going on over Twitter on Sunday and sent emails to preorderers on Monday giving the same info.

Incredible if true.

I hope it's true.
There is no delay unless a date was promised and they missed it. And even shipments that happen over the next week that were March estimates aren't missed dates, because it was an estimate. As for Reddit, you're wrong, Oculus announced what was going on over Twitter on Sunday and sent emails to preorderers on Monday giving the same info.

I gotta know, are you saying there has been no problem and that the launch is going the way Oculus intended?

Why do you hope it's true?

That would mean they would likely be sending new optics to us, so the flaring issue would be temporary.

It's probably not true though, because they're still sending Rifts out. It makes no sense that a manufacturing fuckup would result in them deciding "oh no, I guess we'll just ship them out slowly then!"

[EDIT] Wait, the CV1 lenses aren't replaceable like the DK2's were, right?

Caleb187

Too close to April 1st to take seriously, but if there's a chance that there are better lenses out there that reduce halo artifacts I'm gonna stay hopeful.

Compsiox

Banned
That would mean they would likely be sending new optics to us, so the flaring issue would be temporary.

It's probably not true though, because they're still sending Rifts out. It makes no sense that a manufacturing fuckup would result in them deciding "oh no, I guess we'll just ship them out slowly then!"

[EDIT] Wait, the CV1 lenses aren't replaceable like the DK2's were, right?

nope

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Meh the account that has at least a speck of credibility from calling the time for shipping to start says it isn't true.

I highly doubt that is true.

This is what it has come to.

Ok, then all we need is for someone that received a CV1 today to check for the fresnel glaring. If it's clearly better, there's at least some verification.

Palmer responded:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/com...ding_these_threads_come/d1l2dm3?context=10000

Not really. Don't shunt blame to other people, this is my call. I am not going to wax poetic about this, since I have done so in the past, but bottom-line: I won't give in-depth updates on any situation without knowing it is solid, true, and finalized. Until I can do so, the best I can do is remind people that I will get them information as quickly as I can.
On the rare occasions when things still change, even when they change for reasons out of my control, I get crucified anyway. Sometimes that means updates have to wait until things get locked down, and sometimes that means waiting a little longer to give everyone good info.

Kusagari

If that is legit it makes Oculus sound like the most incompetent company on the planet. They didn't inspect a single one of the things prior to shipping?

Evo X

If that update is true, I am regretfully going to have to cancel my pre-order.

Do not want to risk over $600 to get a headset with fucked up lenses or wait 1+month for new manufacturing, especially when I'm already receiving my Vive next week, complete with motion controls and superior tracking.

My status is set to shipped now with a confirmation email and Eve unlock code. I'm not really sure why people are flipping out. I got an estimate email a week ago and it shipped today. That's March, with communication. If they aren't getting the emails they aren't in the release wave.

Cyriades

My status is set to shipped now with a confirmation email and Eve unlock code. I'm not really sure why people are flipping out. I got an estimate email a week ago and it shipped today. That's March, with communication. If they aren't getting the emails they aren't in the release wave.

They are flipping out because they might receive oculus with a fucked up lenses.

You ordered very, very early I presume? The problem is that the vast majority of "March" Rifts will not be shipped in March, and we have zero information about it.

It is crystal clear that something went wrong.

They are flipping out because they might receive oculus with a fucked up lenses.

The post is unconfirmed and was removed, last I looked.

You ordered very, very early I presume? The problem is that the vast majority of "March" Rifts will not be shipped in March, and we have zero information about it.

It is crystal clear that something went wrong.

Crystal clear? What even is "vast majority"? Do you have numbers?

Crystal clear? What even is "vast majority"? Do you have numbers?

Nobody with an order after the first minute of preorders have had their Rift shipped. Orders up to minute 6 (some in minute 7) received a March ship date.

The spreadsheet also indicates most March orders have not shipped, but that's dependent on people updating it.

It's a safe bet to say most orders have not shipped.

[EDIT] Was it orders up to 8:10 that got March dates?

Foggy

Reddit locked that thread.. hopefully it was a April fools joke

Yeah, I'm sure it was just someone talking out of their ass. Taking some hair-brained theory and throwing it out there as fact. If it's true, then hopefully they get it squared away and resolve it with the people who have defective Rifts. At this point, I don't even care what the hold up is. I'm just bummed. Not bummed enough to wail and thrash to the heavens, just kinda bummed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom