• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure nobody with an order past 8:01am has gotten shipping notification. Orders through 8:10 had the "march" date

Nobody with an order after the first minute of preorders have had their Rift shipped. Orders up to minute 6 (some in minute 7) received a March ship date.

The spreadsheet also indicates most March orders have not shipped, but that's dependent on people updating it.

It's a safe bet to say most orders have not shipped.

[EDIT] Was it orders up to 8:10 that got March dates?

I don't know what my time was or anything. Some Reddit spreadsheet and anecdotal generalizations based on internet conversation about the state of things seems presumptuous to say the least. I'm not saying something didn't go wrong however, i'll remain agnostic on that front.

What I know is they supplied an estimate date, and people seem to think that meant an exact date, and now they are mad.

TheRed

There is no delay unless a date was promised and they missed it. And even shipments that happen over the next week that were March estimates aren't missed dates, because it was an estimate. As for Reddit, you're wrong, Oculus announced what was going on over Twitter on Sunday and sent emails to preorderers on Monday giving the same info.
Well I don't use twitter either and didn't get email, was a March estimate that ordered 6 minutes past when preorders officially opened. If this isn't a delay from the March estimate idk what is. And I think it does count even as an estimate, the 1-3 week thing is still an estimate and it's all people saw before finally getting their preparing for shipping notification of the people lucky enough to get it already. This should be the time everyone is enjoying their headsets and talking about the games, but hardly anyone has it. Obviously something has delayed things.

They are flipping out because they might receive oculus with a fucked up lenses.

Where did this fucked up lense stuff come from?

People have been using them without issue with days? Is there a bad batch?

Edit: Sounds like bullshit.

Nobody with an order after the first minute of preorders have had their Rift shipped. Orders up to minute 6 (some in minute 7) received a March ship date.

The spreadsheet also indicates most March orders have not shipped, but that's dependent on people updating it.

It's a safe bet to say most orders have not shipped.

[EDIT] Was it orders up to 8:10 that got March dates?

Orders up to 8:10 got March dates.
Orders up to 8:06 (Some 8:07) received the 1-3 week emails.
Orders up to 8:01 have been charged/shipped (US).

Canada seems to have a days lag in the order process. International has it a lot worse.

Kickstarter is on its own timeline.

I guess I was stupid to think that tweet from Palmer would actually lead to some sort of update soon.

I think whatever is coming out of that Reasercher redditor is probably the truth.

The thing is they need to be working towards fixing the process for normal flow of production. Instead of just saying there has been a fuck up, lets hear that at least plans for a solution and normal shipping situation is in order.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I think whatever is coming out of that Reasercher redditor is probably the truth.

The thing is they need to be working towards fixing the process for normal flow of production. Instead of just saying there has been a fuck up, lets hear that at least plans for a solution and normal shipping situation is in order.

Yeah, it'd be nice to see whatever is going on fixed so we can have a decent idea of how fast they'll go through orders.

Orders up to 8:10 got March dates.
Orders up to 8:06 (Some 8:07) received the 1-3 week emails.
Orders up to 8:01 have been charged/shipped (US).

Canada seems to have a days lag in the order process. International has it a lot worse.

Kickstarter is on its own timeline.

Ooh, right! I was getting the 1-3 week email mixed up with the March orders. Yeeeah it's safe to say the vast majority of pre-orders have not shipped.

Enordash

Yeah, it'd be nice to see whatever is going on fixed so we can have a decent idea of how fast they'll go through orders.

I feel like most companies would start to push out some sort of damage control if this all turns out to be true. I'm guessing it doesn't happen here since nothing was technically guaranteed to us.

Compsiox

Banned
I'm hopping off this train. Fucking Facebook man. This privacy invasion goes deeper than your average agreement. Flipping my Rift as soon as I can.

iceatcs

It is pretty obviously going to be like that when Facebook bought them.

Big companies want own all in the plaftorm, it is what all Silicon Valley aiming for.

Compsiox

Banned
It is pretty obviously going to be like that when Facebook bought them.

Big companies want own all in the plaftorm, it is what all Silicon Valley aiming for.

Yeeeep.

I also removed the Palmer hype gif. Feels grossly inappropriate at this point.

Yeeeep.

I also removed the Palmer hype gif. Feels grossly inappropriate at this point.

Even without this, I have to say that VR without motion controls and room-scale (or other locomotion systems) is lacking something.

And I'm one of the biggest enthusiast you can find.

So...yeah, thinking about flipping the rift. xD

Compsiox

Banned
Lol, yea that's fair. Jealous that you got your hands on a Pre.

I was extremely lucky to get it so cheap. I'm sure the person who I got it from was hoping to get more. Tomorrow is going to be a day I remember forever. That's for sure.

Even without this, I have to say that VR without motion controls and room-scale (or other locomotion systems) is lacking something.

Just do it.

Enordash

I'm personally not super interested in room-scale, but maybe that will change in the future. Visiting GAF lately has made me start regretting my decision.

This makes me very concerned:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1203090

Uninstalling Oculus stuff until I'm sure I want to/need to put it to use.

Hmm. This is very disconcerting, not sure how I feel about going forward.

I really, really wish I had gone with the Vive at this point. I struggled with that decision in January and only decided on the Rift because I had been on the Oculus train since the DK1 kickstarter. Now I feel like for a mere $200 extra I could have had better hardware weeks sooner with none of the privacy concerns.

I was extremely lucky to get it so cheap. I'm sure the person who I got it from was hoping to get more. Tomorrow is going to be a day I remember forever. That's for sure.

Just do it.

I'm personally not super interested in room-scale, but maybe that will change in the future. Visiting GAF lately has made me start regretting my decision.

Truly seated experiences (like cockpit games) are wonderful, even in the DK2.

I'm more interested in room-scale, but I'm holding out on the Rift because I want to see the differences and improvements to the DK2.

I'm surely buying a locomotion system down the road maybe as soon as this summer, for non-VR games (legacy games with added VR). But once VorpX and similar come to the Vive, the two headsets will start to invade each other's space.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Hmm. This is very disconcerting, not sure how I feel about going forward.

I really, really wish I had gone with the Vive at this point. I struggled with that decision in January and only decided on the Rift because I had been on the Oculus train since the DK1 kickstarter. Now I feel like for a mere $200 extra I could have had better hardware weeks sooner with none of the privacy concerns.

Remember when Valve let thousands of user's private information become visible to other people at Christmas? Good times.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
The terms/agreement still lets them do all the invasive methods mentioned.

Sure. But so can Microsoft and any other plethora of vague pieces of software people use.

I choose not to live my life in fear of what *could* happen. I prefer to learn what is happening and move on with my life.

Seems a bit misleading to throw at the top of OT.

EDIT:
I'll leave it there for now

lol cool. From OT to Facebook fear mongering.

Compsiox

Banned
Sure. But so can Microsoft and any other plethora of vague pieces of software people use.

I choose not to live my life in fear of what *could* happen. I prefer to learn what is happening and move on with my life.

Seems a bit misleading to throw at the top of OT.

I'll leave it there for now

Thanati

I'm sorry but that Palmer response sounds utter nonsense. There's not a shred of information there, just waffle that goes around in circles.

lmimmfn

Anyone know when the launch of this Oculus Rift is? is it coming out around the same time as PSVR or is it releasing when HTC Vive 2 releases?

Remember when Valve let thousands of user's private information become visible to other people at Christmas? Good times.

To be fair that's not part of the ToS. I'll hang on to my Oculus for now, just having a lot of small regrets piling up with it at the moment. If I was sitting here using one right now I probably wouldn't give it much thought until later, but Oculus failed to keep their promise of March and I doubt I'll have anything until late April.

So... I played some more Ethan Carter and Technolust. Does anyone want to hear about that? Or are we on privacy witch hunts and shipping issues still?

Seiru

Banned
Added Privacy stuff to the top of OT. I feel that it's necessary everyone knows what they're getting into.

Yeah, you really weren't the person to make this topic IMO. Even that Oculus leaker has posted that they don't collect and sell your data. It's literally just a standard privacy policy and the service is checking for updates, like a billion other update services that are included with Windows programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom