• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waikis

Yeah, you really weren't the person to make this topic IMO. Even that Oculus leaker has posted that they don't collect and sell your data. It's literally just a standard privacy policy and the service is checking for updates, like a billion other update services that are included with Windows programs.

I agree, the privacy issue should be kept separate from this thread.

Riptwo

So... I played some more Ethan Carter and Technolust. Does anyone want to hear about that? Or are we on privacy witch hunts and shipping issues still?
How's Technolust? I have a key, but I haven't tried it yet since I heard rumours that it might run poorly on a 970 with the current build. I'm trying my best not to KO myself with motion sickness in the first week!

I would like to hear about them before this place turns in to reddit.

So, Technolust is incredibly impressive for something mostly the work of a single person. It doesn't have the polish or visuals of something like Ethan Carter, but it has a great soundtrack. It's also a fun puzzle adventure with a decent selection of minigames so far. Early on you have to beat a high score on one of five arcade games. There's one called Hyper Cube which is four simultaneous games of Tetris all around you. I sucked at that one. There's a fun one where you have to shoot balls at little robots inside of a small model of a room in a manor. I didn't get near the high score there.

I do miss the amount of stuff the apartment had to do in the original beta / demo / whatever, where you could watch Night of the Living Dead on the TV, and had more puzzles in the starting room, but there's still a good amount of stuff going on. Again, mainly made by one guy as I understand it. I enjoy the atmosphere of the world.

Speaking of atmosphere, Ethan Carter is dripping with it. Yeah it makes me wish I had more horsepower (or more truthfully, that I could leverage at least one more of my graphics cards) so that I could hit a smooth 90fps at 130% scaling (because it looks so much better that way) but it's an incredibly polished VR port. The 'comfort mode' here is teleporting between hotspots... even though I prefer playing it with a gamepad. Definitely one that needs an iron stomach to play that way though.

I've gone through the first couple of major areas and puzzles and it really is a beautiful game. Definitely the kind of thing I imagined a VR game to be like, minus the nausea. I played it standing up for a while, which is cool, but also sort of frustrating for how limited the space I have to move around in is. This kind of slower paced examine the world around you type of game is going to do really well in VR.

If you have it already, definitely get the $10 upgrade. If you don't... take a look at some screenshots and ask yourself if you want to explore that world in VR.

But yes, if you're going to freely explore... perhaps keep the ginger ale on standby.

How's Technolust? I have a key, but I haven't tried it yet since I heard rumours that it might run poorly on a 970 with the current build. I'm trying my best not to KO myself with motion sickness in the first week!

No issues on my 980, and no issues with motion sickness from Technolust. It does the 45 degree turning thing, and has a mode called cloudstep where you just move forwards in approximately 2 foot chunks that should help further. I didn't use it myself though. There's a lot of stopping and investigating, and not a lot of long traversal like Ethan Carter has.

Enordash

So... I played some more Ethan Carter and Technolust. Does anyone want to hear about that? Or are we on privacy witch hunts and shipping issues still?

Give me those hot details. How long are you playing at one time? Does it hurt your eyes? Does any game demand that you come back and play?

Edit: I was too late :(

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat

What kind of CPU/GPU are you rocking?

Yeah I remember the Technolust beta apartment and the small outside area from the demo. I will pick it up when it is available.

Ethan Carter I bought a long time ago hoping to play it in VR, so I kind of feel compelled to pick up the $10 VR add-on.

Compsiox

Banned
Yeah, you really weren't the person to make this topic IMO. Even that Oculus leaker has posted that they don't collect and sell your data. It's literally just a standard privacy policy and the service is checking for updates, like a billion other update services that are included with Windows programs.

That's a bit harsh. Is it because I have a Gabe Newell avatar? What's the problem?

I'll remove the TL;DR part but I'm not removing the link. If there are risks why shouldn't people know?

Regarding Ethan Carter, are the teleportation spots all over the place, or only in key locations? I want to methodically explore that world but I don't want to do so with a gamepad.

What kind of CPU/GPU are you rocking?

Yeah I remember the Technolust beta apartment and the small outside area from the demo. I will pick it up when it is available.

Ethan Carter I bought a long time ago hoping to play it in VR, so I kind of feel compelled to pick up the $10 VR add-on.

Give me those hot details. How long are you playing at one time? Does it hurt your eyes? Does any game demand that you come back and play?

Edit: I was too late :(

I'm still in launch 'jump from game to game every twenty or thirty minutes' mode. But I'd probably been playing Ethan Carter about 50 minutes when I had to take a break because I was starting to feel woozy. I've played Doom 3 and Half Life 2 on DK1 and DK2 for much longer stretches mind.

I've got 3 GTX980s and an i7 5930K cpu.

No eyes getting hurt by anything. Pinball FX2 VR calls me back the most, but I'm absolutely not done with any of the games I've bought so far. Just not had as much time as I want to play these things.

That's a bit harsh. Is it because I have a Gabe Newell avatar? What's the problem?

I'll remove the TL;DR part but I'm not removing the link. If there are risks why shouldn't people know?

You've said you're done with the Rift and flipping your Oculus, which is fair enough, but maybe it'd be better for you not to be updating the OP since you've soured so much on the headset and are fully supporting it's competitor.

Regarding Ethan Carter, are the teleportation spots all over the place, or only in key locations? I want to methodically explore that world but I don't want to do so with a gamepad.

There's a good number, but I haven't played it much that way at all.

Waikis

@Plagiarize

Have you tried virtual desktop? Do you have multiple monitors? if so, how does multi monitor look on Virtual Desktop?

Compsiox

Banned
You've said you're done with the Rift and flipping your Oculus, which is fair enough, but maybe it'd be better for you not to be updating the OP since you've soured so much on the headset and are fully supporting it's competitor.

I feel that I'm just doing whats right. Why should the risks be left in a thread that will inevitably leave the front pages. I made it more respectable and removed the speculation from the OT.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I feel that I'm just doing whats right. Why should the risks be left in a thread that will inevitably leave the front pages. I made it more respectable and removed the speculation from the OT.

LOL, you put it at the very top of the post with bright red warning letters.

I mean, this is the very definition of FUD.

Do you think 'localStorage' is your C drive, lol?

Get your learnin' on. http://www.w3schools.com/html/html5_webstorage.asp ... ANY website or application can do this really. Shit, you should see the GA stuff we have with our users we can pull from just their browser sessions.

But either way, I'm flipping both camps and going with this:

https://www.google.com/get/cardboard/plastic/

I don't know man... it looks like it controls more like Kinect than the Vive.

Cyriades

I've got 3 GTX980s and an i7 5930K cpu.

Damn

398539522.jpg

Seiru

Banned

You've been pretty negative about the Rift for a while now, which is fine, but then why make the OT for it and inject negative speculation right at the top? Like you've never read a privacy policy before.

Compsiox

Banned
You've been pretty negative about the Rift for a while now, which is fine, but then why make the OT for it and inject negative speculation right at the top? Like you've never read a privacy policy before.

It was before it was debunked. Lets forget it now. It's over.

I'm going to have to side with Compsiox, it's something that people arguably should be aware of going into this.

Seriously considering selling one of my road bikes and just buying a Vive Pre right now. This launch has not even been slightly positive so far.

It was before it was debunked. Lets forget it now. It's over.

I'm kind of surprised you surprised you bothered to start this thread in the first place, considering you've been the poster in here that is most clearly, and very strongly, biased towards the Vive. It feels sort of dishonest in a way.

Waikis

Only earlier versions on my DK2. When I have money for it, I will be buying it. I liked it.

How does it actually work in terms of the resolution rendered?
If I have 3 1080p monitors for example, will the game be rendered as 3x1080p? or will it be rendered based on the amount of screen that it occupies?

And as far as I understand, SLI doesnt currently work for rift right?

Compsiox

Banned
I'm kind of surprised you surprised you bothered to start this thread in the first place, considering you've been the poster in here that is most clearly, and very strongly, biased towards the Vive. It feels sort of dishonest in a way.

No that's not how it was at all. I was extremely hyped for it until 2 days ago. You're being unfair now.

No that's not how it was at all. I was extremely hyped for it until 2 days ago. You're being unfair now.

Not really. You've been very vocal about your bias for longer than that, but I already noticed before you started this thread that the only one who didn't notice was you. Other people called you out on it.

But this isn't important. I just needed to say it. We can move on if you want.

Compsiox

Banned
Not really. You've been very vocal about your bias for longer than that, but I already noticed before you started this thread that the only one who didn't notice was you. Other people called you out on it.

But this isn't important. I just needed to say it. We can move on if you want.

Ha stop. I love the Vive it's incredible but I was truly all in on the Rift. Now enough of this shit. I will no longer reply to anything like this.

I would say that telling everyone in the thread who asks that they should cancel their Rift preorders / flip them, while *immediately* updating the OT with negative speculation, making sure it's at the top in eye-catching red, making another thread about the potential issue, and then refusing to amend it until told repeatedly that it is likely FUD... is cause for the reaction you're currently getting.

As someone with both a Vive and a Rift on preorder, it's a bad look.

And as far as I understand, SLI doesnt currently work for rift right?

It's complicated.

Nvidia have something called SLI VR and released a demo of this which I have tested on my system and it absolutely works, but developers have to support it in their games and I'm not sure that any have yet. AFAIK it only uses 2 gpus and leverages each one to render each eye.

Valve's Source 2 engine does something similar. When I run their VR benchmark I see higher framerates with SLI enabled than when it is not enabled. OpenVR Source 2 games should in theory be using both. I presume the 'Welcome to VR' thing they have on Steam does infact use two graphics cards, but I haven't thrown up usage graphs or anything to confirm.

So with any luck, people will support these techniques for VR. As of yet support is minimal at best.

Compsiox

Banned
Alright this is my final post on this subject.

I genuinely couldn't give less of a shit which headset anyone buys. Get out of that fanboy mindset.

All I wanted was to inform people of the possible risks. Now that they're debunked I removed the stuff from the OT.

Yes I'm favoring the Vive now like many others after the horrible hype deflating launch of the Rift.

I encouraged those who were already considering the Vive to buy it. Big whoop. Both headsets are great. Oculus itself just stinks right now.

I'm done.

Bsigg12

You kind of brought the reaction on yourself. You jumped on that Reddit post as fact (making a separate thread about it even) and you've been less than fair in your own OT. We understand feeling the Vive is a better product but just being here saying you're only getting a Rift now to flip it is a bad look especially for someone who claims they're excited for VR to finally be here.

Guys, I'm an optometrist and I can tell you that a Fresnel lens would be the absolute WORST type of lens to use in a device like this. Optical quality is sacrificed with a Fresnel lens in order to get a flatter and thinner lens. Optical quality would be HORRIBLE. This is a Fresnel lens:

fresnel-12-18k-lens.jpg

If you were to run your fingernails over the surface of a Fresnel lens, it would be like those lenticular 3D/hologram DVD movie case covers where the clear surface has those tiny ridges. The mere suggestion by this "insider" that Fresnel lenses would even be considered at all, let alone as an upgrade, for a device like this clearly shows that this guy is just messing around with us. If he wanted to be more believable, then he could have at least suggested that the lenses were aspheric or some other type of design that would reduce optical aberrations.

FRESNEL LENSES = TOTAL BULLSHIT

Compsiox

Banned
You kind of brought the reaction on yourself. You jumped on that Reddit post as fact (making a separate thread about it even) and you've been less than fair in your own OT. We understand feeling the Vive is a better product but just being here saying you're only getting a Rift now to flip it is a bad look especially for someone who claims they're excited for VR to finally be here.

The reddit post was based on the official documents from Oculus.

I was releasing my feelings against the Rift when everyone else was. Just because I made the OT means that I can't voice my concerns? I'm sorry if I upset anyone or anything but I'm trying to come clean.

Waikis

It's complicated.

Nvidia have something called SLI VR and released a demo of this which I have tested on my system and it absolutely works, but developers have to support it in their games and I'm not sure that any have yet. AFAIK it only uses 2 gpus and leverages each one to render each eye.

Valve's Source 2 engine does something similar. When I run their VR benchmark I see higher framerates with SLI enabled than when it is not enabled. OpenVR Source 2 games should in theory be using both. I presume the 'Welcome to VR' thing they have on Steam does infact use two graphics cards, but I haven't thrown up usage graphs or anything to confirm.

So with any luck, people will support these techniques for VR. As of yet support is minimal at best.

Hmm I wonder if virtual desktop will ever be able to act as a proxy to render the non supported games using VR SLI then.

At this stage I don't see how a single card can manage surround gaming with virtual desktop.

Wallach

Guys, I'm an optometrist and I can tell you that a Fresnel lens would be the absolute WORST type of lens to use in a device like this. Optical quality is sacrificed with a Fresnel lens in order to get a flatter and thinner lens. Optical quality would be HORRIBLE. This is a Fresnel lens:

If you were to run your fingernails over the surface of a Fresnel lens, it would be like those lenticular 3D/hologram DVD movie case covers where the clear surface has those tiny ridges. The mere suggestion by this "insider" that Fresnel lenses would even be considered at all, let alone as an upgrade, for a device like this clearly shows that this guy is just messing around with us. If he wanted to be more believable, then he could have at least suggested that the lenses were aspheric or some other type of design that would reduce optical aberrations.

...?

Both the Rift and the Vive do actually use Fresnel lenses. That part is real.

viveks86

fresnel-12-18k-lens.jpg

o_O

I don't even know where to begin

The reddit post was based on the official documents from Oculus.

I was releasing my feelings against the Rift when everyone else was. Just because I made the OT means that I can't voice my concerns? I'm sorry if I upset anyone or anything but I'm trying to come clean.

I thought you already made the last post on the topic.

Relax man. You've fixed the OP. You don't have to respond to everyone and prolong this unpleasant conversation. Let's move on :)

tenchir

I don't think I ever been in an official thread where the OP turned negative on the game/devices he/she made the thread for.

Alright this is my final post on this subject.

I genuinely couldn't give less of a shit which headset anyone buys. Get out of that fanboy mindset.

All I wanted was to inform people of the possible risks. Now that they're debunked I removed the stuff from the OT.

Yes I'm favoring the Vive now like many others after the horrible hype deflating launch of the Rift.

I encouraged those who were already considering the Vive to buy it. Big whoop. Both headsets are great. Oculus itself just stinks right now.

I'm done.

You being inconsistent here.

Compsiox

Banned
Also I'm most likely not gonna flip my Rift. I admit I bought into the privacy invasion stuff pretty quickly. This launch being so bad made me more gullible. I regret making it such a big deal. I do still think people should know risks even if minimal though.

I love you all. Even you fanboys.

Get amped everyone VR is here.

AgeEighty

Wish the Rift OT had been made by someone who hasn't been looking for any reason to jump ship for days now.

I respect the fact that Palmer is waiting to give an update until he has firm information, but I wish he'd realize that even an acknowledgement of a shipping delay would settle a lot of people down. He doesn't have to give more details until he's ready to.

I was checking the tracking number on my Rift and supposedly it'll be here in Saskatchewan on Monday, so i'm pretty pumped. I hope they fire them out as fast as they can to everyone

Seiru

Banned

fresnel-12-18k-lens.jpg

Both the Vive and the Rift use hybrid Fresnel lenses. Here's an actual picture of a lens from the RIft, you can see the ridges:

BWVtcSBsY1MKH26h.medium

Both the Vive and the Rift use hybrid Fresnel lenses. Here's an actual picture of a lens from the RIft, you can see the ridges:

BWVtcSBsY1MKH26h.medium
I was just about to post a correction about this. As you've said, they're using a hybrid design which is different from traditional Fresnel lenses that optometrists typically deal with. When you say "Fresnel lens" to me, I picture a lens that has many tiny concentric grooves that result in relatively poor optical quality. Clearly, you can see in the photos of these hybrid lenses that there are only a few lines which should not negatively impact image quality. My bad. I should have looked into that more closely before posting. Apologies to all for the misunderstanding.

Compsiox

Banned
To some people this thread is old enough to vote. To others its in it's late 30s.

No matter what, It's a new page or a new chapter if you will. So lets start with a clean slate :)

IT'S THE FUCKING YEAR OF VR! GET AMPED!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom