• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

YuShtink

Anybody rocking Defense Grid 2 yet? I'm a sucker for tower defense and I've been hearing pretty good things from press previews/reviews. Thinking of making it a Day 1 purchase. Apparently you can play with just the Oculus remote which is kinda cool.

How are you guys enjoying VR Desktop?

I gave it a try on the DK2 yesterday, running it directly from Oculus Home. It worked well, but was a bit more limited than I expected. I was most disappointed in the fact that it didn't actually give me more desktop space, but only replicated the exact screen I already had. I was hoping to create virtual desktops for me to drag windows to, giving me the benefit of multiple monitors when I actually only have one, but that's apparently not what this application is meant to do.

I also had some issues with stuttering video on it. The 180 degree videos I tested on it stuttered like hell, and were very unpleasant to watch that way. The Windows 10 Netflix app only produced a black screen with sound while the start bar never went away from the bottom of the screen, so that was kind of useless.

What amazed me the most was how legible the display was. I was expecting horrible clarity and impossible-to-read text, but that's not what I got. Even on the DK2, I could easily read the text on sites like NeoGAF without having to zoom in using Chrome. I wrote an entire forum post on a different forum while within virtual reality, and I didn't feel handicapped at all. I can definitely see myself using this more in the time to come, especially if it gets continuned support from the developer with new features and bugfixes. There's already been a patch after I used it, but I don't know what it does.

Waikis

I gave it a try on the DK2 yesterday, running it directly from Oculus Home. It worked well, but was a bit more limited than I expected. I was most disappointed in the fact that it didn't actually give me more desktop space, but only replicated the exact screen I already had. I was hoping to create virtual desktops for me to drag windows to, giving me the benefit of multiple monitors when I actually only have one, but that's apparently not what this application is meant to do.

I also had some issues with stuttering video on it. The 180 degree videos I tested on it stuttered like hell, and were very unpleasant to watch that way. The Windows 10 Netflix app only produced a black screen with sound while the start bar never went away from the bottom of the screen, so that was kind of useless.

You can actually do this by using the headless ghosts. This will trick windows to think that you have multiple monitors and virtual desktop will then display those extra ones.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ethan Carter gives me mixed feelings. I've finished the game
Normally and don't have my Rift yet. The idea of looking around those areas is exciting, but like with many 'walking simulators', the walking is a big part of the experience. The slow jaunt between areas of interest, seeing new sections slowly revealed, being immersed in the location. Teleportation seems like it'd really dilute tha important part of the experience? And normal locomotion sounds like it isn't very comfortable (I'm a bit surprised by this because there isn't much manoeuvring, mostly just walking forward)

Also, anyone in the uk that can recommend good ginger snacks to help with nausea? I'd like to get some in stock, and I'm not a fan of ginger ale

Ethan Carter gives me mixed feelings. I've finished the game
Normally and don't have my Rift yet. The idea of looking around those areas is exciting, but like with many 'walking simulators', the walking is a big part of the experience. The slow jaunt between areas of interest, seeing new sections slowly revealed, being immersed in the location. Teleportation seems like it'd really dilute tha important part of the experience? And normal locomotion sounds like it isn't very comfortable (I'm a bit surprised by this because there isn't much manoeuvring, mostly just walking forward)

Also, anyone in the uk that can recommend good ginger snacks to help with nausea? I'd like to get some in stock, and I'm not a fan of ginger ale

You can buy crystallised ginger in the baking ingredients aisles, basically ginger root that has been boiled in sugar!

demolitio

Has anyone tried using the Rift in DCS? I'm curious if it's worth using over TrackIR since the resolution might make it harder to see planes in the distance, but it seems like it'd be insanely immersive.

Man that whole facebook privacy thing took me for a ride. I blocked the service in my firewall until someone could find out what it was all about. Seems harmless for now, but I will probably take a look at it myself later.

I need to find something else to occupy myself with for the weekend. Constantly checking reddit is a net negative for me at this point. I know I'll love the shit out of VR, because I was head over heals already at DK1. People who gotten their headsets seems to be happy. I just hope April means April.

Man that whole facebook privacy thing took me for a ride. I blocked the service in my firewall until someone could find out what it was all about. Seems harmless for now, but I will probably take a look at it myself later.

I need to find something else to occupy myself with for the weekend. Constantly checking reddit is a net negative for me at this point. I know I'll love the shit out of VR, because I was head over heals already at DK1. People who gotten their headsets seems to be happy. I just hope April means April.

March didn't mean March. So who knows. You'd think getting in within the first 5 minutes of the site mean you'd be one of the absolute first people to get one on "launch day".Its such crap because I had this whole week off and thought I'd be able to play with the Rift all week, and I'll be out of town next week so I'm pretty bummed. I messed around with Home for a while on my DK2 but I'd like to play everything on the real CV1 instead. I've kinda just given up checking and hoping and getting excited. It'll get here when it gets here and I'll have fun... but dang, it's such a disappointing "launch"

I just tested out Subnautica on my DK2 with the updated Beta Steam version... Holy crap, it's sooooo much better than it was last week. I'm super excited to get my CV1 and play Subnautica again, I really enjoy that game

BrettWeir

I was checking the tracking number on my Rift and supposedly it'll be here in Saskatchewan on Monday, so i'm pretty pumped. I hope they fire them out as fast as they can to everyone

Off topic, but....Wow. I don't see many people from Saskatchewan around....well....anywhere. I'm not from there, but my wife is. If anyone could benefit from VR, it's Sasky's! I kid, I kid.

I just tested out Subnautica on my DK2 with the updated Beta Steam version... Holy crap, it's sooooo much better than it was last week. I'm super excited to get my CV1 and play Subnautica again, I really enjoy that game

This is one I'm extremely excited for. Have yet to play it, but it looks good. How far along are they towards full version release?

As for every day Rift news....holy crap. I go to Jiu Jitsu last night, wake up this morning to all kinds of information that may or may not be true. This release is a hilarious roller coaster (pun intended?).

So your single person's opinion means the ones I've read were wrong, eh?

I'm still awaiting the impressions/links stating that glass wearers find the CV1 more comfortable than DK1 and DK2. C'mon bro. Throw us spectacle wearers a bone. Here's another discussion with people stating that they cant use their CV1's with their glasses. Also with links to Oculus ad saying it includes 2 facial interfaces, 1 for glasses wearers:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4csvhk/oculus_where_are_the_promised_facial_interfaces/

This is still on their Amazon page in the "From the manufacturer" section:
J9s158D.jpg

Happy Friday everyone!

artsi

I'd rather like to believe there was a mistake in manufacturing rather than them removing the other facial plate on purpose, and they'll supply a free one later if it's missing.

But who knows anything anymore.

D

Deleted member 18827

Unconfirmed Member
Adr1ft, fucking wow. Hands down the best VR experience I have had. This is the kind of game that sells VR. No way you can replicate it on a screen.

I have a question for those with a rift. The lens flare when playing Elite Dangerous. Is it a particular big issue in that game? A lot of the game is space with points of light however space is not a true pitch black. It's absolutely without a doubt the game I'm most excited to play and the lense glare issues has me a bit concerned.

Krejlooc

Banned
Adr1ft, fucking wow. Hands down the best VR experience I have had. This is the kind of game that sells VR. No way you can replicate it on a screen.

have you beaten it? I've heard it's a bit like the first assassins creed - incredible in the beginning, but stretched out beyond the length the concept can carry. I'm interested in trying it.

Preordered. I dialed my clock forward and refreshed the provided link, which I guess got me in earlier than most

Yeah. It seems they are a day behind on Canadian orders compared to US so you're preorder start time should have been before orders went up.

Curious to hear impressions. Did they overnight it to you?

Yeah. It seems they are a day behind on Canadian orders compared to US so you're preorder start time should have been before orders went up.

Curious to hear impressions. Did they overnight it to you?
It seems to be in Regina right now actually! (Deadpools hometown lol), I'm in Moose Jaw so it's only about 40 minutes away... It may get here today

Them duties. I have never had to pay duty at the door before.

On a different subject regarding glasses and CV-1:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4csvhk/oculus_where_are_the_promised_facial_interfaces/d1l5ufw

Not promised. Planned, but dropped. Too complex, not necessary.
That text was removed in website update just before preorder.

As someone who wears glasses I am definitely concerned about the situation. I recall prior to release most people who wore glasses were not having any problem using the CV1 and I don't recall any of them saying they had to switch out a facial interface before using it.

Still, there are people complaining about an issue so something might be different from the demo model of the CV1 to the final release.

I am hoping a site like Tested or Giant Bomb weigh in on this since they already have CV1s and can test it out with different size glasses.

D

Deleted member 18827

Unconfirmed Member
have you beaten it? I've heard it's a bit like the first assassins creed - incredible in the beginning, but stretched out beyond the length the concept can carry. I'm interested in trying it.
Not yet, but I'm not really looking from a gameplay perspective. It's pretty much go from point a to b and pickup oxygen on the way. But the sense of being somewhere is off the charts.

Edit: the devs said its designed for playing in a chair but I prefer it standing. You get wobbly legs and it just adds to it

Unless they've been able to ramp up their process, I'm not confident any :05s are going to be shipped out today. Hopefully the rollout will last longer than an hour, at least.

Unless they've been able to ramp up their process, I'm not confident any :05s are going to be shipped out today. Hopefully the rollout will last longer than an hour, at least.

The good news is that there aren't that many orders in the :02 to :04 space so hopefully they cover all of them today for delivery on Monday. Between :02 and :04 the site apparently crashed.

I am not sure how all of that works since I ordered during the first minute and I am a :06.

Joejoe123

Neo Member
Not yet, but I'm not really looking from a gameplay perspective. It's pretty much go from point a to b and pickup oxygen on the way. But the sense of being somewhere is off the charts.

Edit: the devs said its designed for playing in a chair but I prefer it standing. You get wobbly legs and it just adds to it

Even with the so-so reviews it looks like an amazing experience. I think we might need to lower our expectation in terms of depth/gameplay with this early VR content and focus more on the experience and Innovativeness .

The good news is that there aren't that many orders in the :02 to :04 space so hopefully they cover all of them today for delivery on Monday. Between :02 and :04 the site apparently crashed.

I am not sure how all of that works since I ordered during the first minute and I am a :06.

I hope you're right. It's true, I haven't seen any :03s or :04s.

TheRed

I'm excited to try this, just wish I bought the Steam version instead of Oculus home so I could try it out now and play on a monitor.
I've learned my lesson.

So about the glasses situation, as someone who has a hard time seeing far away things will I need my glasses? I've had this answered before but I forgot.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Does it have a free roam mode? Even if it is post-game stuff, I'd like a mode like 'your oxygen is fine, just float around for a while'

UnrealEck

Stuck at work, did they write anything?

What do they have to say?

• Feels and looks like a consumer product
  • Xbox 360 controller works fine with Rift
  • Screen door effect is very minimal and you barely notice it, especially once emersed
  • Halo effect is noticeable but only really in high contrast scenes (white text on black background for example). Looks almost like a subtle effect in a game (godrays)
  • Very adjustable head fit
  • Lightweight
  • Setup includes IPD adjustment to get your ideal lense distance
  • Larger glasses can be a bit of a problem because they might pinch your temples and lenses might touch your glasses lenses

I have an eye appointment for wednesday next week. I'm going to be getting disposable contacts just for VR. I also just got a substantial raise from work like 5 minutes ago so the choice to keep both headsets got a little easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom