• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
He does.

He says his glasses snuggly fit, but the sidestraps pinch the frames against his head. So, he plays with his glasses off.

Thanks. It's definitely going to be an issue for some. My glasses are smaller than Norm's. At least it looks that way. So I am hoping I can keep them on.

• Feels and looks like a consumer product
  • Xbox 360 controller works fine with Rift
  • Screen door effect is very minimal and you barely notice it, especially once emersed
  • Halo effect is noticeable but only really in high contrast scenes (white text on black background for example). Looks almost like a subtle effect in a game (godrays)
  • Very adjustable head fit
  • Lightweight
  • Setup includes IPD adjustment to get your ideal lense distance
  • Larger glasses can be a bit of a problem because they might pinch your temples and lenses might touch your glasses lenses

Thanks.

I have an eye appointment for wednesday next week. I'm going to be getting disposable contacts just for VR. I also just got a substantial raise from work like 5 minutes ago so the choice to keep both headsets got a little easier.

Dont forget to measure (by machine) your IPD, and write it down.

UnrealEck

Tested say you can actually use two cameras and extend and overlap the tracking area. Seems it works just by plugging in the second camera. No complications.

Riptwo

Dont forget to measure (by machine) your IPD, and write it down.
Yeah, I've never had glasses, but I went into an eye care/glasses shop to get an accurate IPD measurement. Also, it's bizarre trying to explain that you want an IPD measurement for a VR headset, but they gave me a free test after my rambling spiel.

The included test with the Rift seemed accurate within a range of about 62-65mm, but the actual machine test gave me 64 even. Nice to have an actual number to dial in!

Enordash

Mannn don't get my hopes up! What minute are you?

I'm an :06. I used that reference because it's more of a one in a million chance, lol. If this weekend is a bust, it doesn't really matter when it ships as long as it gets here before next weekend since I don't have much time during the week. I'm just sad that I'll be getting it so close to Dark Souls III.

Tested say you can actually use two cameras and extend and overlap the tracking area. Seems it works just by plugging in the second camera. No complications.

Sounds like good information for the future.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I have an eye appointment for wednesday next week. I'm going to be getting disposable contacts just for VR. I also just got a substantial raise from work like 5 minutes ago so the choice to keep both headsets got a little easier.

Most people recommend the daily use contacts... but they get really expensive even with insurance. I just went through this a year ago and found that the 30 day and 2 week contacts were actually more comfortable. They ARE thicker but they are made out of a material that actually lets a decent amount of oxygen to your eyes.

Good luck! It takes some patience to try a few brands and at the right price. Just stick with it.

Most people recommend the daily use contacts... but they get really expensive even with insurance. I just went through this a year ago and found that the 30 day and 2 week contacts were actually more comfortable. They ARE thicker but they are made out of a material that actually lets a decent amount of oxygen to your eyes.

Good luck! It takes some patience to try a few brands and at the right price. Just stick with it.

Thanks for the tips. I haven't worn contacts in decades and those were non-disposable. I hated them.

Mik2121

I'm running my DK2, got the Rift store going and got my code for Virtual Desktop. Every time I boot it up it takes me to the white grid room, I hover for 2 seconds to agree and throws me back to the main menu room :S

Anyone with this same issue?

BrettWeir

From the live shipping reddit thread:

"Just to recap as Friday kicks off in the US. There was no activity at all last night with European shipping, neither kickstarters or pre-orders seem to have been processed. The only activity in the EU/UK thread was people who were shipped in yesterday's wave finally receiving tracking information. The AUS/NZ thread is all questions and no answers, we haven't seen a single order processed for those markets (or Canada, either, but you can't tell because they're rolled in with the noisy US thread). I'd feel really bad for those guys, but I don't because the ASIA thread is even more bleak with only 14 comments since the new world order of thread splitting took place yesterday morning. It's 08:00am in PDT now, so the folks are Oculus are just waking up and making coffee. What will Friday bring?"

I feel so bad for those outside the US.

Seiru

Banned
It's crazy that there's no official response from Oculus about the shipping situation. I don't think tweets on Palmer's personal Twitter account count (and there haven't even been many of those either).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The more I read about the glasses issue, the more worried I become. I don't feel that DK2 is particularly comfortable to wear and was really counting on the final product being something I could comfortably use for longer sessions. It really sounds like that's not going to be the case.

I suppose we'll see.

Anyone know how Vive compares?

It's crazy that there's no official response from Oculus about the shipping situation. I don't think tweets on Palmer's personal Twitter account count (and there haven't even been many of those either).

All must be busy licking stamps. Will be interesting to see how this compares to Vive after the weekend, especially Europe and beyond.

The more I read about the glasses issue, the more worried I become. I don't feel that DK2 is particularly comfortable to wear and was really counting on the final product being something I could comfortably use for longer sessions. It really sounds like that's not going to be the case.

I suppose we'll see.

Zero issues for Vive. Everything I've read is that they're super comfortable with glasses. Same with PS VR.

viveks86

So I'm hearing that people on Home can't do multiplayer with those on Steam?! Seems to be the case with Project Cars.

Now I'm seriously considering waiting till the steam version of the game is updated with 1.3 support before I dive in.

So I'm hearing that people on Home can't do multiplayer with those on Steam?! Seems to be the case with Project Cars.

Now I'm seriously considering waiting till the steam version of the game is updated with 1.3 support before I dive in.

They are completely different services. Of course you can't. Just buy the Steam version if it works on Rift. That's what I will do.

Man

Received a mail yesterday that "order has been processed and your Rift is almost on its way!". UK based KS backer.
Shipping e-mail to be sent separately when actually sent...

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
From the live shipping reddit thread:

"Just to recap as Friday kicks off in the US. There was no activity at all last night with European shipping, neither kickstarters or pre-orders seem to have been processed. The only activity in the EU/UK thread was people who were shipped in yesterday's wave finally receiving tracking information. The AUS/NZ thread is all questions and no answers, we haven't seen a single order processed for those markets (or Canada, either, but you can't tell because they're rolled in with the noisy US thread). I'd feel really bad for those guys, but I don't because the ASIA thread is even more bleak with only 14 comments since the new world order of thread splitting took place yesterday morning. It's 08:00am in PDT now, so the folks are Oculus are just waking up and making coffee. What will Friday bring?"

I feel so bad for those outside the US.

Unless Oculus publicly state why the US are getting all the first builds and there's a legitimate reason for it I'm going to boycott this company. It's a shameful way to treat your customers.

Animator

I suppose we'll see.

Having tried both, the Vive is a million times more comfortable to use with glasses. Especially if you have wider frame glasses.

Kevin

So those buying or own a CV1, do you plan on getting the bulk of your games on Oculus Home or Steam? Trying to decide myself between the two.

How do you get Steam VR games to work with the Rift? Any special method or can I just start a Steam VR game and have it automatically load in the headset?

My set ships in June. It's a long wait but I am excited beyond belief! :)

Enordash

So those buying or own a CV1, do you plan on getting the bulk of your games on Oculus Home or Steam? Trying to decide myself between the two.

How do you get Steam VR games to work with the Rift? Any special method or can I just start a Steam VR game and have it automatically load in the headset?

I know that there's a setting in home that you have to toggle to allow 'unapproved' applications. I can't see it being too difficult, but I have no hands on experience.

Dineren

Banned

It'll probably depend on the game, but where possible I'll be going with Steam.

Kevin

It'll probably depend on the game, but where possible I'll be going with Steam.

Yeah this is where I'm leaning currently. Steam will have better prices, more games, etc. Probably stick with the Oculus Home exclusives and freebies on Oculus home.

Riptwo

Any impressions of the Virtual Desktop in CV1?
I jumped in for a couple of minutes today, and it's much nicer than the older version with DK1. The resolution on current headsets could still be improved on, but text was legible and it actually seemed like something that I could use rather than just a proof of concept. Haven't tried launching any games yet, so I can't comment on whether or not that works.

jack....

Any impressions of the Virtual Desktop in CV1?

It's awesome.

No text readability problems or anything for me. It's very useable.

It's a must-have if you have a VR headset, in my opinion. Well worth the price.

Buy it on Steam and it will give you an Oculus Home key the first time you run it.

Riptwo

The Home interface is super convenient, so I hope that Steam games keep coming with Oculus Home codes going forward. It's nice that I can just put on the headset and I'm immediately able to launch games without messing around on the desktop at all.

Non-Home apps can be kind of quirky so far. You need to put the headset on so that it wakes up before launching from Steam (in my experience, anyway), or else you just end up in home while the Steam app sits in oblivion in the background. What's cool is that the Oculus Home menu still seems to work in outside apps, so it's easy to makes tweaks to volume, etc.

I haven't pre-ordered but I'm pretty set on getting an Oculus. I will stick with Steam when possible since it is more established, will probably have the bigger multiplayer base, and you can get refunds on games if they make you sick. And plus if you ever get a headset from a different company in the future you will 100% be able to use it with Steam.

Ciggavelli

Neo Member
Man, this is one big screw-up. HTC has already charged me for my VIVE, and it'll probably get here next week, but Oculus hasn't even charged me at all. I'm starting to get a little pissed off....

I wanna play Lucky's Tale :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom