• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon_dojah

Banned
I just sold my DK2 on ebay for $620. Almost double what I paid for it from Oculus and will just about pay for CV1. Now just have to wait and hope it comes in May (hopefully earlier) like was originally confirmed back in January.

charpunk

I did yeah, up until about two weeks ago.

It's an improvement in every measure, to varying degrees. The biggest improvements I would say are comfort, weight, built in audio and tracking camera's field of view (the cone the camera sees is massively improved). Solid improvements are sweet spot, face sensor, screen door effect, framerate and visible pixel structure. Small improvements are pixel density and FOV (at least at whatever eye relief I used to use on DK2, this feels wider).

Not head set related since DK2 owners can now get it too, but I really like Oculus home and I really like how it just launches into VR when you put it on. It's almost magical.

The only negative in comparison is the god rays thing, but if they're the trade off to increasing the sweet spot they made the right move. I'd still say the lenses are overall a good improvement.

Awesome, thanks. Sounds like I'll love the CV1 then, since I really like my dk2 outside of the SDE sometimes.

Soi-Fong

I just sold my DK2 on ebay for $620. Almost double what I paid for it from Oculus and will just about pay for CV1. Now just have to wait and hope it comes in May (hopefully earlier) like was originally confirmed back in January.

How are people still getting to sell at these prices?! I really need to just sell mine. I have the Vive CV1 and the Rift coming and I already have the Vive DK1 at home.

Got the apology email. Says should see a change by 4/12.

They will still be shipping out before then. I think the 12th is when they plan to have some sort of updated order status/date solution on existing orders.

Edit: I guess I am last on the list to get the email. lol

jon_dojah

Banned
How are people still getting to sell at these prices?! I really need to just sell mine. I have the Vive CV1 and the Rift coming and I already have the Vive DK1 at home.

A few days before CV1 release they were selling between $400-500. They are now selling $550-650 with new in box going for $700-800.

Not sure exactly why the jump up but it probably has to do with current new preorders being fulfilled in July or later and all the controversy with slow shipping with early orders.

I'm selling my DK1 (1day left) also on ebay which are currently going for $175-220.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
A few days before CV1 release they were selling between $400-500. They are now selling $550-650 with new in box going for $700-800.

Not sure exactly why the jump up but it probably has to do with current new preorders being fulfilled in July or later and all the controversy with slow shipping with early orders.

I'm selling my DK1 (1day left) also on ebay which are currently going for $175-220.

I think it helps a lot that the 1.3 SDK seems to work fine with DK2 so you can play all the games without a CV1

mhayze

I ordered both Rift and Vive a day late.

I got the "sorry for the lack of info, we'll have more info on the 12th" email. Honestly, I've been expecting to get mine at the very end of Q2. My order # ends with 3707xxx - is there any way to tell how far into the order queue I am?

Morning all. Looks like a lot happened while I was sleeping!

I haven't gotten the "we dun fucked up" email yet, but I'm not too worried about it. Their gesture of apology (refunding shipping) seems weird to me because it affects people disproportionately. I'm not complain--I didn't expect any restitution--I just find it a bit odd. Store credit would have been more equitable, although they probably don't have that functionality in the Oculus Store yet.

Alexlf

So, kinda a mini review. I've been using the Rift for 3 days now, and it honestly exceeded my expectations. After hearing about all the complaints people were dropping on oculus I was honestly a bit worried, but it looks like for nothing.

One thing I haven't heard too many people comment on is "Farland". It's sort of like Pokemon Snap, but with aliens. It actually a really chill game. For the past 3 days the first thing I've done after getting off of work was to hop in for an hour and wind down. I really recommended at least trying it since it's free. (While I'm on the topic, anyone else playing know how long it takes for fruit to fully grow? I cleared everything out last night and now I can't grab any of the new stuff because it's still growing).

Also, Chronos is super fun. The game would stand on it's own without VR, so I'm not sure if it was super necessary, but it certainly adds to the experience. I find myself stopping after I've cleared each room of enemies just to poke my head out windows, or gaze down some deep shaft.

I just can't wait for more games; While I'm loving the release day stuff there's so much more that can be done, and I really hope VR catches so we get to see some of it.

Anyways, while my bank account is probably going to hate me, I guess I'll be keeping both my rift and vive. Vive in my spare room set up for roomscale and my oculus at my desktop. I don't want to miss anything that comes out.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Free shipping is a nice apology.

I got the 1-3 week email but not the new one yet. I really hope it ships before the 12th though.

I think I might do this too. I haven't actually sold anything on ebay but have had an account for years. Is scamming much of a thing nowadays? I don't think I really need to keep the DK2 and honestly might put it towards a video card.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I think I might do this too. I haven't actually sold anything on ebay but have had an account for years. Is scamming much of a thing nowadays? I don't think I really need to keep the DK2 and honestly might put it towards a video card.

Scamming is obviously still possible with reversing paypal charges etc. I had great luck selling my DK2 though. The biggest issue (which is really just an inconvenience) is either other sells placing fake bids or people putting in fake bids in general and backing out.

Just make sure you document things well so that you have a leg to stand on should someone try to reverse a charge on you. It seems China are buying up a lot of the DK2s.

jon_dojah

Banned

I havent experienced any funny business since I first created my acct in 1998. A few deadbeat buyers here and there but ebay has systems in place to protect you against that and other stuff so you dont get stuck with unwarranted fees.

nakedeyes

Banned
Is there an OT for Eve: Valkyrie? I couldn't find one searching... Wondering if anyone else has experienced the controller issues I have with it..

It looks like a rad game and it seems to run well with my rift, but when I spawn in the controller is always holding a hard Right on my left analog stick.. tried rebooting, tried different controllers.. always get the same thing.. I just need like an in game calibration tool and I would be good, but I can't seem to find one in there either.. lame!

Also, let Oculus Home download its version of Elite Dangerous all night.. woke up to it hung during the install process.. rebooted my PC to it wanting to do a full redownload.. Loving the rift, but this Oculus Home software definitely has some kinks to be worked out.

Scamming is obviously still possible with reversing paypal charges etc. I had great luck selling my DK2 though. The biggest issue (which is really just an inconvenience) is either other sells placing fake bids or people putting in fake bids in general and backing out.

Just make sure you document things well so that you have a leg to stand on should someone try to reverse a charge on you. It seems China are buying up a lot of the DK2s.

I havent experienced any funny business since I first created my acct in 1998. A few deadbeat buyers here and there but ebay has systems in place to protect you against that and other stuff so you dont get stuck with unwarranted fees.

Cool, thanks! I'm still up in the air. I have actually thought about getting something cool to put it on and just keeping it.

Got my apology email, took €42 of shipping off.

Grateful, but more just glad they said something.
That's what they should really learn from this, being more communicative.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Is there an OT for Eve: Valkyrie? I couldn't find one searching... Wondering if anyone else has experienced the controller issues I have with it..

It looks like a rad game and it seems to run well with my rift, but when I spawn in the controller is always holding a hard Right on my left analog stick.. tried rebooting, tried different controllers.. always get the same thing.. I just need like an in game calibration tool and I would be good, but I can't seem to find one in there either.. lame!

Also, let Oculus Home download its version of Elite Dangerous all night.. woke up to it hung during the install process.. rebooted my PC to it wanting to do a full redownload.. Loving the rift, but this Oculus Home software definitely has some kinks to be worked out.

Do you have a joystick, racing wheel or other controller plugged into your PC? I had this issue a couple years back with certain games and an Xbox controller. Turns out it was because my Joystick was plugged in.

nakedeyes

Banned
Do you have a joystick, racing wheel or other controller plugged into your PC? I had this issue a couple years back with certain games and an Xbox controller. Turns out it was because my Joystick was plugged in.

Dude. You are the shit. I had my Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS plugged in, and unplugging it fixed me right up. First out of maybe 100+ PC games with controller support I have tried that did this though.. lol

Its a neat game after doing some of the training! But pretty awful they don't support sticks and doubly awful that the game wont function correctly with one plugged in lol!

viveks86

How did they end up with "component shortage" so early on? Is this proof that they didn't have a sizeable stockpile prior to launch?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
The DK2s fetching the prices they are are mainly going to China. Big VR scene developing there and the best headsets avail are Oculus regardless of which model

Thanati

While this is good(ish) news, this launch has been a problem. You don't run into 'component shortages' for a launch this important. That's ridiculous. Did they just suddenly realize there wasn't enough components a week before launch? No, I'm sorry but there is something else going on here and Oculus have handled it badly.

How did they end up with "component shortage" so early on? Is this proof that they didn't have a sizeable stockpile prior to launch?

I'm still not convinced there wasn't an issue with already-manufactured Rifts. Something was missing, and they're just spinning it as a general "component shortage" to avoid pointing fingers.

viveks86

I'm still not convinced there wasn't an issue with already-manufactured Rifts. Something was missing, and they're just spinning it as a general "component shortage" to avoid pointing fingers.

Yeah people kept thinking this was a logistics problem. The more this drags out, the less it seems to be the case

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

I still think it's the lenses.
Once Oculus realized they shipped rifts using an older hybrid lense design they decided to ramp up production on that older design rather than have a superior and inferior version out there.

Likely advised by lawyers as that would be a real headache when those early receivers found out and demanded refunds or exchanges.

Wollan

Just received my Oculus Rift shipping notice w/tracking number (and separate email for EVE Valkyrie code). Originally Australia based when I backed the Kickstarter but now in the UK.

Once Oculus realized they shipped rifts using an older hybrid lense design they decided to ramp up production on that older design rather than have a superior and inferior version out there.

Likely advised by lawyers as that would be a real headache when those early receivers found out and demanded refunds or exchanges.

I hope you're not basing that on the Reddit "leaker" that claimed the lenses were the culprit. He admitted it was an April Fool's prank.

viveks86

If this were true, then it wouldn't be long before someone does a comparison and proves it. They will have to end up handling refunds/exchanges anyway. So all they would be doing is postponing the headache. There is no getting around it

I hope you're not basing that on the Reddit "leaker" that claimed the lenses were the culprit. He admitted it was an April Fool's prank.

Oh! Lol.

iceatcs

Oh right I though something like UPS messed up and oculus demand to refund because they broke the date promise.

Just received my Oculus Rift shipping notice w/tracking number (and separate email for EVE Valkyrie code). Originally Australia based when I backed the Kickstarter but now in the UK.

Hmm. And the CS person on the Reddit thread just said they weren't shipping on Saturday.

Edit: Yeah, seeing some kickstarters report in. Good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom