• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaneDS

I'm an :07 order apparently, and I didn't get either. I'd think you're ok, Oculus has been pretty bad with their email pipeline.

Aye. More curious than anything with this stuff. The DK2 purchase years back has made waiting much easier. Also lack of Touch "helps".

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
10 days until we get an update on shipping status.

Finally did the timestamp thing and discovered I am 4:33. So not expecting it to get here anytime with in the next couple/few weeks.

That said them paying shipping and handling is a nice gesture.

Ovek

7Member7
Heh finally got the email, considering my order was for June i'm intrigued if I get any sort of estimated delivery date a week Tuesday.

AgeEighty

I'm wondering if the reason I'm not receiving either email from them is that my order doesn't have an Oculus account tied to it. Anyone getting either of these emails who didn't set up an account?

(I actually did set one up after placing my pre-order, but CS told me they have no way to link my order to it.)

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I'm wondering if the reason I'm not receiving either email from them is that my order doesn't have an Oculus account tied to it. Anyone getting either of these emails who didn't set up an account?

(I actually did set one up after placing my pre-order, but CS told me they have no way to link my order to it.)

I ordered as a guest and got the Apology email early this morning.

I also pre-ordered as a guest and I received both the 1-3 week e-mail and the new apology e-mail.

Wow. Just jumped into this thread looking for impressions, and its still "when is my device shipping"

Are the number of people receiving units in the minority (or is it just people waiting are more likely to post their frustration here)?

Enordash

I have an account and I've only received the 1-3 weeks email. It seem a little inconsistent across the board right now.

Edit: Nevermind, just got it.

Wow. Just jumped into this thread looking for impressions, and its still "when is my device shipping"

Are the number of people receiving units in the minority (or is it just people waiting are more likely to post their frustration here)?

Not a ton of people here have one yet, but there are impressions strewn about.

Heh finally got the email, considering my order was for June i'm intrigued if I get any sort of estimated delivery date a week Tuesday.

Oh Wow, I'm suppose to be April and I haven't gotten any emails at all since the Confirms back the day of pre-orders. God I hope mine isn't just randomly cancelled or something.

So it wasn't my intention, but complaints about not being able to buy anything right now fell on the ears of Mr Klaw, and he decided to throw me a gift of Apollo 11 VR. I'm certainly not asking for people to donate games to me in order to get impressions, but I'm certainly not going to discourage any one else who wants to be so generous. So thanks to our kind benefactor, here are my thoughts of the Apollo 11 VR experience:

From the first moment I got my DK1 and went to Tuscany it became apparent to me the value of merely being somewhere in VR. This environment that wasn't remotely interactive in the traditional sense was still somehow much more compelling. Then with DK2 suddenly you could crouch down and look closely at things and lean out of windows. I started to think of moments of history that it would compelling just to experience in VR.

I thought of Titanic. Something that wouldn't really be a game, but that would let you to experience the disaster from the lower decks, or the bridge, or down in the engine room, or from first class. Not something where you could prevent the accident. Not something about 'making it to a lifeboat'... but just something where you could get a sense of what it was like for the people that day.

A history lesson wrapped up in experiential empathy.

An early educational title was Titans of Space. This VR orrery used VRs perfect sense of scale to make you feel truly tiny in the universe. It's something I've sat through multiple times and showed many people, because not only do you learn something but in the smallest way it leaves you changed. You've now got a much more physical and practical first hand knowledge of how large our universe is and how as massive as our sun is, that in the scale of stars it is infact quite tiny.

In Apollo 13 there is the moment where you see someone covering up planet Earth with their thumb. It's a moment that I think sticks with everyone because it's easy to imagine what that might have been like and there's a kind of power to such things.

Apollo 11: The VR Experience is a proof of concept. It's a fantastic moment of history to bring to VR. I think it's just a baby step in this area of education but it demonstrates how important this technology is going to be. Standing on the moons surface I found myself hunting through the sky to find that tiny Earth. This resonated with me in a way that no TV documentary has. I had to take time to locate Earth.

Now I'm not going to say that I know what it was like for the astronauts. The g forces they experienced. The heat and the cold. The low gravity. The fear of failure. No, I have no idea what that was like. But the claustrophobia of the space capsule... and the difficulty involved in piloting the Eagle down to the Moon's surface... those I now have a much greater understanding of.

The optional soundtrack won't be for everyone, but I found it well done. The graphics are unfortunately a worst case scenario for the light shafts. It doesn't ruin the experience but it does detract. That the astronauts sitting next to you don't actually speak their lines you hear them saying over the radio, is another missed opportunity.

But there's a reason why this is so highly praised. Because it brings a moment of history to life in a much more tangible and compelling way than ever before, and it makes it that much easier to *imagine* what it was like for those three astronauts about to capture the imagination of the world.

It's not a game, even though it has moments where you are in control, and even though it scores how well you do (in landing the Eagle, I did very badly, multiple times). But it's not passive either. In the same way that Henry doesn't feel the same as watching a Pixar short. I now understand things about the trip to the moon I didn't before.

And that's a really exciting thing to think about. I hope someone tackles that Titanic idea I had. And I hope to witness many more moments of history in this way.

They are working on a Titanic game for VR... Titanic: Honor and Glory. I've been waiting for that for a while. I really enjoyed the Apollo 11 demo from a couple of years ago, I might splurge for it during a sale.

brainpann

So I finally got everything up and running with my Rift. Just wanted to share some quick impressions. First thing thatvI love is that the Rift senses when you put it on and take it off. That makes everything so much easier than using the DK1 and 2. Its very seemless. Even when using Steam. I was worried it would be a pain to play my steam version of Project Cars but it just works.
Luckys Tale and Project Valkyrie are both lots of fun and really show off what VR is capable of. Im most surprised by Luckys Tale. Its just fun to play around and look at things. Kinda like playing Super Mario 64 for the first time. Eve Valkyrie is intense but does a good job of putting you inthr action. The controls are nice but definitely an intense game. I think Id have a much harder time playing this on DK2.

I have also been playing Technolust. Im not very far but there are some fun mini games in it. Its an interesting albeit low budget gritty scifi game with a lot of references strewn about.

Like I said above, the steam version of Project Cars works great i the Oculus with the caveat that the sensor needs to be position just right else your eye level will wrong ie looking from inside the drivers chest or wherever. Not a big deal.

Im looking forward to playing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Adrift, and Chronos later.

One thing I will say is that I feel like the lenses are far more prone to...color distortion??? around the edges. Not a big deal. Really enjoying so far and have managed to put more time in it than I though I would.

Ive got some time to kill, so if anyone has questions, Ill do my best to answer them.

Also, does anyone know if older DK2 demos will work with CV1? There are a few id like to retry with it.

I got the apology email and I'm a 36. Kinda strange since I wasn't expecting it anytime soon. I'm totally expecting a July ship date now which is why I went ahead and preordered a Vive too. I don't like waiting.....

Got the apology email here in Norway too now. They cut a whopping 54 Euros of shipping costs away from my order, and since I'm not an impatient man when it comes to these things, I'm pretty happy about it.

Enordash

So I finally got everything up and running with my Rift. Just wanted to share some quick impressions. First thing thatvI love is that the Rift senses when you put it on and take it off. That makes everything so much easier than using the DK1 and 2. Its very seemless. Even when using Steam. I was worried it would be a pain to play my steam version of Project Cars but it just works.
Luckys Tale and Project Valkyrie are both lots of fun and really show off what VR is capable of. Im most surprised by Luckys Tale. Its just fun to play around and look at things. Kinda like playing Super Mario 64 for the first time. Eve Valkyrie is intense but does a good job of putting you inthr action. The controls are nice but definitely an intense game. I think Id have a much harder time playing this on DK2.

I have also been playing Technolust. Im not very far but there are some fun mini games in it. Its an interesting albeit low budget gritty scifi game with a lot of references strewn about.

Like I said above, the steam version of Project Cars works great i the Oculus with the caveat that the sensor needs to be position just right else your eye level will wrong ie looking from inside the drivers chest or wherever. Not a big deal.

Im looking forward to playing The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Adrift, and Chronos later.

One thing I will say is that I feel like the lenses are far more prone to...color distortion??? around the edges. Not a big deal. Really enjoying so far and have managed to put more time in it than I though I would.

Ive got some time to kill, so if anyone has questions, Ill do my best to answer them.

Also, does anyone know if older DK2 demos will work with CV1? There are a few id like to retry with it.

Could you tell me what CPU and GPU you're running? Just so I can get a sense of what to expect. Do you have Virtual Desktop yet? I'm actually really eager to hear what you can do with creating "fake" monitors. Well, if that even works at all. Does it support 21:9, etc, etc. I'm sure there's a resource out there, but if you're fooling around with it, let me know. I definitely want as many spoiler free Chronos impressions as possible. Glad to hear that Lucky's Tale is turning out to be pretty great.

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
Just got an email about not paying for shipping either and mine doesn't ship until July

How do you know it isn't shipping until July? My order page doesn't have any ship date on it and I ordered it a couple of hours after it went live. I just got the email about waving the shipping charges though which is nice.

Where'd the guy go that was saying there was no problem, and that shipping was going as Oculus intended?

I don't think we were saying it was going as intended (I specifically said I was agnostic), just that shit happens and they were shipping and communicating.

This recent email is much better though. And people certainly have the right to voice their dissatisfaction.

I can't tell if i'm just doing the typical Neogaf "I wasn't wrong!!" thing or not lol.

brainpann

Could you tell me what CPU and GPU you're running? Just so I can get a sense of what to expect. Do you have Virtual Desktop yet? I'm actually really eager to hear what you can do with creating "fake" monitors. Well, if that even works at all. Does it support 21:9, etc, etc. I'm sure there's a resource out there, but if you're fooling around with it, let me know. I definitely want as many spoiler free Chronos impressions as possible. Glad to hear that Lucky's Tale is turning out to be pretty great.

Im running an I7 3770 and a 980. Ive had no issues other than annoying banner in the Oculus Home app telling me that my computer doesnt meet requirements.

I have dl'ed Virtual Desktop but have not had a chance to mess with it so I cant really answer any "fake monitor" stuff. Ill do some impressions of it after I have a chance with it.

Yeah-Luckys Tale is actually a lot of fun. I dont think it will be avery long game but its very polished and definately apes Mario a litte, but thats not a bad thing. Like I said, it really shows how awesome 3rd person games can be in VR, which makes me want to play Chronos even more.

I don't think we were saying it was going as intended (I specifically said I was agnostic), just that shit happens and they were shipping and communicating.

This recent email is much better though. And people certainly have the right to voice their dissatisfaction.

I can't tell if i'm just doing the typical Neogaf "I wasn't wrong!!" thing or not lol.

I still think you were nuts to doubt there was a problem, but you weren't who I was thinking of! I actually think it was on Reddit where the Oculus apologists were out in force.

charpunk

Some brief impressions on Chronos based on a few hours of playing:

The difficultly doesn't really show at first but it starts to spike up after the first boss on normal, haven't tried heroic mode yet. There are a bunch of puzzle elements in the game, which I really enjoy. I've come across many different enemy types so far, each with their own unique move set. If you don't pay attention, you can get wrecked pretty quick.

While the game could totally hold its own as a non-vr game, being able to look around the world really makes it feel like you are there watching the action play out. While fighting giant enemies in a souls game is breathtaking at times, seeing the enemies to scale is insane. They did a really good job on the art style and general world design. I've found myself stopping often just to look around at different scenery.

The best way to explain the game is pretty much Zelda infused with elements from the souls series. As a fan of both games, I'm having a blast with this.

If anyone has any specific questions I can probably answer them.

It would be spoilery, but, does the game's story is just a vague, nebulous thing that is alluded or is there a real story in there? Is there any explanation for the whole post-apoc scifi setting which I've seen in previews at the same time is mixed with fantasy?

Oculus.png

I just got this email from Oculus, my order number is in the "33" camp if anyone is curious.

viveks86

Ha. I haven't gotten any email, but my shipping charges have been waived too. Still hope this comes before the end of April, as originally planned

senahorse

I was on the verge of cancelling my order but now with free shipping I might just keep it. In Australia we were getting charged $132USD for shipping.

YuShtink

The shipping delay sucks but free shipping for ALL existing pre-orders is a massive gesture. Esepcially for international orders. I think Aussies are getting like $300 back out of that. Only $30 here but still that's awesome.

Enordash

Some brief impressions on Chronos based on a few hours of playing:

The difficultly doesn't really show at first but it starts to spike up after the first boss on normal, haven't tried heroic mode yet. There are a bunch of puzzle elements in the game, which I really enjoy. I've come across many different enemy types so far, each with their own unique move set. If you don't pay attention, you can get wrecked pretty quick.

While the game could totally hold its own as a non-vr game, being able to look around the world really makes it feel like you are there watching the action play out. While fighting giant enemies in a souls game is breathtaking at times, seeing the enemies to scale is insane. They did a really good job on the art style and general world design. I've found myself stopping often just to look around at different scenery.

The best way to explain the game is pretty much Zelda infused with elements from the souls series. As a fan of both games, I'm having a blast with this.

This all sounds great. Definitely picking up Chronos when I get my Rift. If you end up beating it soon, maybe you can give us a word on its length. I've heard that it's one of the longer launch games (if not the longest) at ~12 hours. Between this and Dark Souls III, I'm going to have a great month.

The shipping delay sucks but free shipping for ALL existing pre-orders is a massive gesture. Esepcially for international orders. I think Aussies are getting like $300 back out of that. Only $30 here but still that's awesome.

Agreed. This is great news financially for a lot of people. Sucks that there was a delay, but hopefully it isn't for long.

How do you know it isn't shipping until July? My order page doesn't have any ship date on it and I ordered it a couple of hours after it went live. I just got the email about waving the shipping charges though which is nice.

Sorry. That's when my estimated shipping was when I ordered.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I finally got the apology email.

glad I didn't wait

They are still shipping units to people in the 1-3 week range in the meantime. The 12th is when they expect to have their estimated window solution available for orders in the coming months.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4d1voo/psa_emails_are_still_going_out_but_if_for_some/d1n1l68

If you received the 1-3 week email, you were in our first allocations, the first three weeks of shipments from that email send. Still valid and we should be able to still hit that window. If we slip a few days beyond that, please don't freak out. They are coming!

Also, I think I need to pick up Apollo 11 now.

Apollo 11
Pinbal FX
And now I might be back on the Adr1ft bandwagon after watching Tested play it.

I am kind of curious about VR Karts too.

nakedeyes

Banned
Alright! Got some more impressions here for you guys.

General Hardware Performance Impressions: Really happy with how well my setup is holding up with the rift. I built a beefy PC with a single GTX 680 about 3 years ago now. I had never had a problem with my DK1, or even running certain games at 4k res on my monitor at home ( I am ok with 20-30 fps and not ultra settings sometimes lol ). When I run the Oculus Compatability Tool, I fail both CPU and GPU sections.

Before getting my rift, I had these thoughts: I want to wait for Pascal before updating GPU, and: my i7-3820 from 3 years *should* be just fine... I ended up buying a used 2nd GTX 680 on ebay for somewhat cheap, thinking SLI would get me by until Pascal. Of course right after it came in, I started reading about how SLI was not ideal for VR and tended to add a couple frames delay in the loop.. After trying all my games with SLI off first, then going later and turning it on, I can say I personally notice no delay with SLI.

... And the performance has been stellar!! Oculus Home app is constantly telling me my PC doesn't meet minimum spec, but everything feels like it is 90fps. Including Elite: Dangerous on "VR High" graphics settings ( which was supposed to have a GTX 980 minimum recommended spec ). I have notice only the super occasional hitch or something as I have been playing ( think its HDD loading the few times it has happened too ), at 99% of the time frame rate is rock solid.

The headset itself is great. Its lighter and more solid at the same time ( than the DK1 ). The tracking never seems to miss a beat. There was a load of people going nuts about the optics looking like shit on this thread the last couple days, and in my experience they look pretty great. I do notice light shining through the optics when there is a super dark screen with something white and bright in the center. But its so not that bad. And as someone who has tried them all ( DK1, Crescent Bay, Vive Pre, and PSVR ), alls I can say is they all have this effect to a certain point. It doesn't bother me that much and I have a hard time saying if the Rift is much better or worse than the others. Coming from the DK1, I notice the LACK of the Screen Door Effect, it really seems like all the pixels butt up against each other really well. You can still see the resolution / pixels for sure, but the DK1 had pretty noticeable black lines between each row of pixels and this totally doesn't. The headset is comfortable, but after using it for an hour or so, I am ready for a break for sure. You need to get the headset in a pretty exact position for there to not be much blur between lines of pixels, and I feel like I need to keep the headset a bit tight for me to get it in the sweet spot for my head.

Ok, now some more games impressions:

Farlands: Pretty fun little game! Not a huge Pokemon Snap fan, but I see the appeal I guess, really like the intuitive controls and the teleport/sattellite view movement. Neat for a demo, but I dunno how much Ill actually play.

Eve: Valkryie: After finally figuring out that I need to unplug my HOTAS stick for this game to not freak out with my controller, I got around to playing an hour or two of this. I like it! Its good, but not great. I really don't think there is enough feedback when you hit enemies successfully, and it seemed a bit chaotic for my tastes. I wouldn't pay 60$ for this myself, but I'll play it a bit more since they gave it away with the Rift. I really wish it had stick support, because it doesn't feel right playing it with a controller. It seems like there is a lot to the game if you get into it. I also feel like I need a few ship upgrades before I will really be a force in that game at all.

Elite: Dangerous: My jam! The game that I really wanted a VR set for in the first place ( and I logged probably 20 hours of it on my DK 1 lol!! Super difficult to play at that super low res ). Holy shit, its so rad. With the final Rift, I can read every menu and every text that is put in front of me. I don't have to switch out of the rift for the Star Map or when docking with a space station any more ( Had to do that on DK1 because I couldn't read the font! ). It's so immersive and super well done. I hope they work out some of the kinks. For instance: if you ever want to use the mouse, they don't lock the mouse cursor to the game window, so you can easily click outside the game window and lose mouse input / sound when the game is unfocused. Also hope they work it out so I can launch this from Steam VR. Can't wait to spend more time with this, and so far, this is the game that I can really see myself playing the most until some hot new VR shiz comes out.

Virtual Desktop: Had to buy this after all the demos and shit. And wow! Its pretty great! Webpage text is pretty legible and its totally usable. I am a programmer by trade and love using big and multi monitor setups, so the idea of having floating windows of code everywhere is really appealing to me. There are a million options in the app for having transparent backdrops, and cool 3d surroundings that your desktop floats in. What there aren't any options for: Creating more virtual desktops so that you can have a bunch of virtual monitors. As far as I can tell, it just takes whatever monitors you have physically hooked up to the computer and just floats those out in space. I have a single 4k monitor right now at home, and it did provide me with a bunch of space for my virtual desktop, but I couldn't create a 2nd virtual monitor or anything. Its a really cool app, and I loved it when I was browsing the web, chatting with a friend, and watching a video all at the same time with it. But I can also do alot of that on my 40'' 4k monitor. If they add the fake desktops and such, this will be a way better app. Would love it if they could find a way to just drag windows anywhere out the space and potentially even include some z sorting options to bring windows closer and further from the camera. Cool app!

Oculus Home: The Oculus Home software kinda blows. To be fair it does work like 95% of the time, but it is pretty much the only part of the experience that has crashed and got choppy at times ( waaay choppy.. like 2 fps.. but always fixed with a reboot ). It also sucks that I have to fuck around with having 2 separate copies of Elite Dangerous because the only one that works with the Rift is the one that is through their store. It also sucks that there is no way to get it to stop telling me my computer isn't a piece of shit, even though my experience has so far been top end. Finally, it SUPER sucks that they only will let you install this software and all the games you download through it, on your C drive. In my case, I have a smaller SSD for my C drive and I usually manage games on and off it with SteamTool. Now I have to store 100% of everything on my C drive which is actually causing me to purchase less things lol.

Anyways, really having a great time with it! Have to play a bunch with it the next couple weeks before this thing sits in a box for a month while I move to Seattle. I am thinking of picking up Chronos and Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes next. If anyone has any good recommendations, I would love to give them a shot as well!

charpunk

It would be spoilery, but, does the game's story is just a vague, nebulous thing that is alluded or is there a real story in there? Is there any explanation for the whole post-apoc scifi setting which I've seen in previews at the same time is mixed with fantasy?

Only story bits has been at start of game and after killing the first main boss. They don't really go in depth so far about why the world is the way it is as far as I've seen. Area I'm in now is very fantasy type setting, first area is more post-apocalyptic scifi area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom