• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin

So with the Oculus Rift, how do you turn of stereoscopic 3D? I am nearly blind in my left eye and cannot see 3D at all and obviously don't want a blurry image. I have not tried the Rift as I don't have one yet but wonder what the deal was with 3D and how you're able to turn if on or off.

The Oculus store offers no options for anything at all...

Compsiox

Banned
Damn all I said was I'm glad I didn't wait. My life is going to get busy around that time. Sorry I disappointed the fanboys on this one.

Ionic

So with the Oculus Rift, how do you turn of stereoscopic 3D? I am nearly blind in my left eye and cannot see 3D at all and obviously don't want a blurry image. I have not tried the Rift as I don't have one yet but wonder what the deal was with 3D and how you're able to turn if on or off.

The Oculus store offers no options for anything at all...

Even if you are blind in one eye it shouldn't be any blurrier to you than seeing in the real world is. Stereoscopic 3d on HMD's literally involves presenting each eye with a different picture. You just won't see one of them. It would be neat if you could turn off one side for a performance boost though!

viveks86

Just got my email. Lol. Can't believe we are all waiting for bad news to be delivered in our mailbox

Damn all I said was I'm glad I didn't wait. My life is going to get busy around that time. Sorry I disappointed the fanboys on this one.

...?

Are you getting PMs or something?

Kevin

Even if you are blind in one eye it shouldn't be any blurrier to you than seeing in the real world is. Stereoscopic 3d on HMD's literally involves presenting each eye with a different picture. You just won't see one of them. It would be neat if you could turn off one side for a performance boost though!

I will likely just have to try it. I can see a little out of my left eye. Sort of see objects, light, etc but can't ready or anything. I can see enough to make out a person or object in the room but not enough for a clear image.

I didn't notice any problems with my 5 minutes with Gear VR so maybe I won't here either. I hope not.

JJDubz

There seems to be a pretty big lack of reviews on individual games. I don't like going in blind to games, so I haven't bought any yet.

What's the must-buy Oculus game thus far? Chronos?

Also, some games are buried pretty deep in the store. I didn't see pinball fx without searching for it by name. Would be awesome to see some more home-screen environment, too.

charpunk

There seems to be a pretty big lack of reviews on individual games. I don't like going in blind to games, so I haven't bought any yet.

What's the must-buy Oculus game thus far? Chronos?

Also, some games are buried pretty deep in the store. I didn't see pinball fx without searching for it by name. Would be awesome to see some more home-screen environment, too.

It really depends what you're looking for. For me it's Chronos. It's a solid game and the vr adds a really cool sense of immersion.

Are you getting PMs or something?
They are apparently confused by not getting showered with rose petals for hastily adding FUD to the OT, getting called out on it, and then returning to the thread after saying they were done with it to let us all know *just* how pleased they are with their choice to go with the Vive.

AgeEighty

Got my sorry email. Still says update by April 12th, so hopefully they'll at least have provided a clearer idea on my time window at that point.

You've said quite a bit more than that, most of it negative stretching back even before the shipping debacle. Next time, please leave the OTs in other hands.

Enordash

Thanks for the words! I'm sure they'll update Home to address complaints. I don't know if they'll budge on the banner telling you that your computer is inadequate though.

Do you feel heavy eye strain or dryness after that hour? How long did you use Virtual Desktop before giving it up?

Krejlooc

Banned
So apparently someone from oculus confirmed that if you got the 1-3 weeks email, you are in the first shipment of commercial rifts.

Starting to get excited again...

Compsiox

Banned
Got my sorry email. Still says update by April 12th, so hopefully they'll at least have provided a clearer idea on my time window at that point.

You've said quite a bit more than that, most of it negative stretching back even before the shipping debacle. Next time, please leave the OTs in other hands.

The GabeN avatar makes the whole thing even funnier.

Team Rocket! I found you!

So apparently someone from oculus confirmed that if you got the 1-3 weeks email, you are in the first shipment of commercial rifts.

Well, that's some shit right there. :07 and no 1-3 week email. Should I even be expecting this in April?

But what even is the "first shipment" at this point? That could be 2 weeks from now.

The first wave is 1-3 weeks. So yeah, in the next couple of weeks those of us who received the email should have our Rifts.

The 1-3 week email was sent to anyone who ordered within about the first six minutes after they went up. If your in :07 you are waiting until April 12th to see when you will get yours.

I got that e-mail, and I'm very damn close to cancelling my order or flipping it on eBay when it gets in. I've been charged for the Vive already, so I assume I'll be getting that this week. It's hard to stay excited when the messaging on this release has been so botched.

tuna_love

Banned
The first wave is 1-3 weeks. So yeah, in the next couple of weeks those of us who received the email should have our Rifts.

The 1-3 week email was sent to anyone who ordered within about the first six minutes after they went up. If your in :07 you are waiting until April 12th to see when you will get yours.
7min 16 seconds I got the 1-3 week email

7min 16 seconds I got the 1-3 week email

That's good to hear. It might have gone into the 7 minute mark then. I have heard about a couple of others who received it at 7 minutes as well. We may end up having to look at seconds to know the exact cut off.

I am at 6 minutes and 4 seconds so I am hoping for this Friday as my ship date.

Kevin

The developers have to rebuild them for the 1.3 runtime. Don't know how much (if any) work is involved, I'd guess almost none for the newer 0.7 and 0.8 stuff.

Ah that sucks. I was going to start collecting VR stuff but I guess I won't bother yet. Is there a good website for CV1 tech demos and such?

I guess I just find it difficult to be enthused because I have had my Vive well before then.

anothertech

I'm pretty surprised how negative you've been about the Rift in general tbh. Kind of wondered why you wanted to do the OT in the first place. Could have left it to someone that wasn't so quick to jump ship imo.

spannicus

I'm pretty surprised how negative you've been about the Rift in general tbh. Kind of wondered why you wanted to do the OT in the first place. Could have left it to someone that wasn't so quick to jump ship imo.

Dont think anyone else wanted to do it, sure he volunteered.

Wallach

I'm not sure why you guys are still getting on Comp about this stuff. It doesn't really matter. If you wanted someone else to do the OT you should have done it yourself. As long as he updates the OT if it becomes necessary for some reason I don't see what it could possibly matter, and he did a fine job with the current thread.

JackDT

Definitely check out the Foo show on whatever headset you can.

The Firewatch tower is really really cool to be inside virtually. On my DK2 it's honestly of the most convincing spaces I've been in -- I think the art style works really well with the limitations of the DK2. I even got down on the floor and crawled around a bit to look in weird places, which you can sortof do even with the crappy DK2 camera.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

They also said you should still get it in 1-3 weeks (but obviously may be a little towards the later end of the estimate now). So they seem confident they'll catch up with shipping.

Would be nice for them to sort kickstarters too. Still heard nothing

I'm really glad we are starting to get more actual impressions and review posts in this thread. I kinda wish we could just start over with a new Launch thread when more people have it since this one almost seems like 'pre-launch' with 99% of it being about shipping and orders and frustration with that. I knew something was up with the rollout on this product when I came in here expecting a bunch of 'OMG Valkyrie!' type stuff after I first used mine but instead found so many people hadn't gotten theirs yet.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm really glad we are starting to get more actual impressions and review posts in this thread. I kinda wish we could just start over with a new Launch thread when more people have it since this one almost seems like 'pre-launch' with 99% of it being about shipping and orders and frustration with that. I knew something was up with the rollout on this product when I came in here expecting a bunch of 'OMG Valkyrie!' type stuff after I first used mine but instead found so many people hadn't gotten theirs yet.

$50 off shipping will keep people quiet for a few days. They'll get itchy by Thursday if shipping doesn't start speeding up though, as people secretly hope they arrive by next weekend.

nakedeyes

Banned
Thanks for the words! I'm sure they'll update Home to address complaints. I don't know if they'll budge on the banner telling you that your computer is inadequate though.

Do you feel heavy eye strain or dryness after that hour? How long did you use Virtual Desktop before giving it up?

Yeah just kind of annoying with that banner, but what cha gonna do. Hopefully my story inspires confidence in people who are like me and are waiting on pascal to upgrade GPU.

I didnt really feel any eye strain for the first while, but after an afternoon with a few hours in the rift, I definetly felt a bit of eye fatigue and had light dryness. I wrote half of that long post in virtual desktop, and I feel like I could use it for a while without too much issue, but as of now I have used it once for about an hour.

These things usually don't bother me as much as others, but I would say there is no way I could use it for a full day's work or anything. I don't think my eyes and the weight of the headset on my head could take it for a full day.

As for E:D. I do indeed have the horizons expansion, but I bought it and kinda didn't play because I was waiting for this thing! So I still need to get a hanger bay and a vehicle and stuff.. Saving up for it ( and a new ship! ) right now.

I finally got that money I was waiting on, and picked up another batch of games:

Esper 2, Dreadhalls, Dead Secret, Project Cars, VR Tennis Online, Adr1ft and Ocean Rift (which is an 'App' apparently). I'm downloading them right now, so expect impressions to follow throughout the day.

I've already played a lot of Dreadhalls, Ocean Rift and Dead Secret on my Gear VR, so those will be comparative impressions. Esper 2, I played and enjoyed the original already and held off on buying 2 since I knew it was coming to the Rift. VR Tennis Online, Adr1ft and Project Cars will be all new to me... Project Cars I'll be playing on my G27 and I've had experience with Dirt Rally and Assetto Corsa on DK2.

Anyways, some of these have finished installing, so I'm going to get playing. See you on the flip side.

Ocean Rift then.

So not everyone is going to like this. It's $9.99 and offers a number of relatively passive experiences. There's maybe ten or so different underwater environments. Some of these are relatively basic, like Manatees, where a group of friendly manatees will swim up to you and say high. They're adorable and this is one of my favorite ways to introduce people to VR. As hoped, the CV1 version looks way better than the early demo on DK1 and DK2 and than the Gear VR version. There's better lighting, better water effects, more texture detail and you can see more detail thanks to the improved screens.

What I love about it though, is that the experiences range from adorable to the terrifying, and from almost completely passive to somewhat active. So yes you can explore beautiful underwater environments like reefs and see a variety of wildlife, or you can jump into a shark cage. With positional tracking this *really* works well... and can get fairly intense.

For a real intense experience you can go into the Mosasaur environment, and that thing will eat you. The earliest demo had a Megalodon that would do the same. The Mosasaur scared the crap out of me just now, as the Megalodon used to. Seeing it coming out of the murky depths is terrifying.

The audio is really good here and one of my favorite details are the air bubbles that come rushing out of where your regulator would be, even as you move around with a controller or as you physically walk around the shark cage. It really adds to the feeling of being underwater, and coming out of it to come back to reality to type this up was jarring.

Somewhere in the Deep Ocean environment is a Kraken, I believe. I saw the shadow of something giant down there... and at one point atmospheric music started to play... but I couldn't find it. I will dive back down there to hunt again at some point.

Personally I think it's worth the $10 dollars, and it was made by a Gaffer (lemongremlin)... but keep in mind that it's listed as an App for a reason. Not that there isn't fun to be had exploring these environments or diving with sharks... but it's an undirected experience for sure. A decent amount of stuff to see and do though with a fairly nice variety of atmosphere, but if you don't like the sound of relatively passively diving with fish, you probably won't spend as much time with it as I have.

I was thinking of doing Dreadhalls next, but I think I need something a bit more relaxed. So I'm going to play Esper 2 instead.

Ocean Rift then.

So not everyone is going to like this. It's $9.99 and offers a number of relatively passive experiences. There's maybe ten or so different underwater environments. Some of these are relatively basic, like Manatees, where a group of friendly manatees will swim up to you and say high. They're adorable and this is one of my favorite ways to introduce people to VR. As hoped, the CV1 version looks way better than the early demo on DK1 and DK2 and than the Gear VR version. There's better lighting, better water effects, more texture detail and you can see more detail thanks to the improved screens.

What I love about it though, is that the experiences range from adorable to the terrifying, and from almost completely passive to somewhat active. So yes you can explore beautiful underwater environments like reefs and see a variety of wildlife, or you can jump into a shark cage. With positional tracking this *really* works well... and can get fairly intense.

For a real intense experience you can go into the Mosasaur environment, and that thing will eat you. The earliest demo had a Megalodon that would do the same. The Mosasaur scared the crap out of me just now, as the Megalodon used to. Seeing it coming out of the murky depths is terrifying.

The audio is really good here and one of my favorite details are the air bubbles that come rushing out of where your regulator would be, even as you move around with a controller or as you physically walk around the shark cage. It really adds to the feeling of being underwater, and coming out of it to come back to reality to type this up was jarring.

Somewhere in the Deep Ocean environment is a Kraken, I believe. I saw the shadow of something giant down there... and at one point atmospheric music started to play... but I couldn't find it. I will dive back down there to hunt again at some point.

Personally I think it's worth the $10 dollars, and it was made by a Gaffer (lemongremlin)... but keep in mind that it's listed as an App for a reason. Not that there isn't fun to be had exploring these environments or diving with sharks... but it's an undirected experience for sure. A decent amount of stuff to see and do though with a fairly nice variety of atmosphere, but if you don't like the sound of relatively passively diving with fish, you probably won't spend as much time with it as I have.

I was thinking of doing Dreadhalls next, but I think I need something a bit more relaxed. So I'm going to play Esper 2 instead.
I also have a GEARVR, and to be honest, I wasn't all that impressed with some of the software. Dreadhalls made me very motion sick. Ocean Rift is fun to show people. Is there a "big" difference between the CV1 and the GearVR? Or is it similar enought that it won't sway may opinion or lessen the motion sickness?

I also have a GEARVR, and to be honest, I wasn't all that impressed with some of the software. Dreadhalls made me very motion sick. Ocean Rift is fun to show people. Is there a "big" difference between the CV1 and the GearVR? Or is it similar enought that it won't sway may opinion or lessen the motion sickness?
I have a friend who has a GearVR, and just the motion sensing of the DK2 made the DK2 quite a bit better though it has a worse resolution, is less comfortable, and a tether. You'd be surprised at how much of a difference just motion-sensing makes - even if you aren't physically trying to duck or lean, the minute motions your head naturally makes helps a lot with sickness as well as the feeling of being there. Oculus' CEO Brenden Iribe couldn't handle more than 5 minutes in VR until they added motion sensing, after that he could go 45 minutes without feeling sick.

And when you do want to actually move your head rather than turn it, being able to lean closer to something to see more details or read HUD text better is great, and it just lends itself to natural motions. If you're in a real car for example and look to the side, you don't just swivel your head, you physically move your head as well, so in a virtual car having that motion-sensing making the in-game camera follow your body's motions makes it feel that much more natural.

I have a friend who has a GearVR, and just the motion sensing of the DK2 made the DK2 quite a bit better though it has a worse resolution, is less comfortable, and a tether. You'd be surprised at how much of a difference just motion-sensing makes - even if you aren't physically trying to duck or lean, the minute motions your head naturally makes helps a lot with sickness as well as the feeling of being there. Oculus' CEO Brenden Iribe couldn't handle more than 5 minutes in VR until they added motion sensing, after that he could go 45 minutes without feeling sick.

And when you do want to actually move your head rather than turn it, being able to lean closer to something to see more details or read HUD text better is great, and it just lends itself to natural motions. If you're in a real car for example and look to the side, you don't just swivel your head, you physically move your head as well, so in a virtual car having that motion-sensing making the in-game camera follow your body's motions makes it feel that much more natural.

Well I haven't tried Dreadhalls yet, so I can't say for sure, but turning with a stick in Ethan Carter made me feel kind of rough, and physically turning didn't, although it gets somewhat annoying having to keep track of the cable and occasionally having to turn 360 degrees just to uncoil it a bit. I presume playing Dreadhalls the same way will be preferable, but I'll have to try it out first. I play it standing on GearVR while physically turning too.

Just played some Esper 2. It's a fun physics based puzzle game where you levitate and throw objects around by just looking about and using a few inputs. You can play it with just the remote, and personally I prefer to play games that let you use the remote with the remote, because it just feels better to have one light small thing in one hand than to be holding a controller or what have you.

You tap the button to pick something up, tap it again to drop it, double tap to throw it, and then up and down bring it further and closer to you respectively. You can't levitate things you can't see, but you can levitate things behind glass. But you can't levitate glass things. I only played a handful of puzzles in this one so they weren't really getting challenging yet.

The voice acting and writing is really solid. The original guy who walks you through the tests in the first game is back, but this one has you going out of the test facility to actually do real missions and has other voice actors involved. I can't comment on length, but the original was an hour or two. I presume this one will be about the same. The graphics (like with all the Gear VR ports) are fairly basic, but still appealing. It's fun, it's chilled out, and it's funny. Hopefully they'll start getting demos up soon.

The only real annoyance is that you are sat in a swivel chair in the game. Now, I'm sat in a swivel chair in real life, and the two chairs don't swivel the same way. I found myself trying to get my real chair to match up with the VR chair... which was just a distraction. Nothing major, but it's interesting how things you don't think of can effect your experience.

I wouldn't say you'd need to have played the original to enjoy this one. They do a great job bringing you up to speed with the world and your character. I'll enjoy playing through this one that's for sure. The menu screen is a bit like surgeon simulator's. There's a bunch of stuff you can just pick up and throw about, which is fun. I'm going to eat lunch, then I'm going to check out Dreadhalls.

Weirdly, I'm hoping they haven't improved the graphics too much from the Gear VR version. It's already plenty scary without the monsters and lighting getting more believable looking.

Has anyone tried using Vorpx for regular games on the CV1?

Last I checked they hadn't released the updated version for SDK 1.3. But they put out a video of the upcoming release. I do plan on getting it once it's out (and I get some more money again... yeesh, that $140 lasted me all of ten minutes).

Plagiarize keep up with the impressions man, you are the best thing about this thread. I am going to be waiting quite a while for my rift so its great to have some guidance as to what to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom