• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOLCats

Banned
Tried a rift today at work, amaze balls. Good thing they arnt just at bestbuy or id have bought one on the way home.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Please elaborate...

We've been told they are a 'separate allocation' and will be shipped separately to the preorders. We were also told they'll start shipping the last week of April but there hasn't been any movement for Europe - don't know about US. At least I've stopped obsessively checking the Reddit shipping thread.

Arucardo

Two days (actually a day and a half really) after getting charged my rift has finally been shipped :)

Order number was a 29 and was originally promised shipping in April so they held up on their promise in my case.

twisted89

Mine has shipped (was a 29 but at ~20 minutes) and just had UPS origin scan from... the Netherlands. Eh? Seems like an odd place to be storing them. I'm in the UK FYI.

I guess with all the issues I have had getting my Rift I at least now have a library of games and stuff that has been patched to look forward to when it finally comes.

I am just not sure if The Climb makes much sense without touch right now.

mcmudman

Neo Member
I've already played through the beginner course on all three mountains in the climb. So far, I like it. I definitely think that 50 bucks is too much of an asking price though. I'd still say it's probably one of the best experiences offered on the rift right now.

Jesus wept. I was looking forward to this game, but $49 is daylight robbery for that short an experience.
But how short? The Verge review said he had played the game for a couple days and wasn't tired of it yet. Sure, it's only 4-5 hours to complete the initial courses, but that apparently unlocks more super-challenging "bouldering" courses, and there are a lot of reasons to replay levels like multiple paths through the level, speed challenges, things like that. To me that definitely feels worth the cost of seeing 3 movies at the theater by yourself, especially when being able to experience VR with that level of graphic quality.

TheRed

I guess with all the issues I have had getting my Rift I at least now have a library of games and stuff that has been patched to look forward to when it finally comes.

I am just not sure if The Climb makes much sense without touch right now.
I'm not sure it makes too much sense with touch. Who wants to have to hold their hands up that much? I would still like to try it though.

I'm not sure it makes too much sense with touch. Who wants to have to hold their hands up that much? I would still like to try it though.

Yeah. I imagine arms would get sore but it seems like the type of game that would feel a lot more immersive using Touch.

My Rift just shipped to Norway, and I got my Eve code. I can't wait for this thing. With a 3-day work week next week, I should have a lot of time to play around with it, given that it arrives in time.

Yeah. I imagine arms would get sore but it seems like the type of game that would feel a lot more immersive using Touch.

If you're entirely weightless in real life and can drag your entire body around with nothing but your arms effortlessly, then sure. Immersive. ;)

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Sucks that US orders are getting screwed.
Hopefully more negative press comes to light to expose the shitty operational practices going on at Oculus.

They need to be shamed and future VR consumers need to be aware of what they are getting into with this company.

Sucks that US orders are getting screwed.
Hopefully more negative press comes to light to expose the shitty operational practices going on at Oculus.

They need to be shamed and future VR consumers need to be aware of what they are getting into with this company.

What "shitty operational practices"? That they have exclusives? That they had component shortages and can't talk about them for contractual reasons? That Palmer Luckey is still young and inexperienced in business, and doesn't really know how to address the public properly? That they are struggling to provide proper estimates in an uncertain shipping situation where any attempt to give an estimate will be met with cries of bloody murder if they are missed, since people don't know what the word "estimate" means?

Or something else entirely?

Peterthumpa

I've already played through the beginner course on all three mountains in the climb. So far, I like it. I definitely think that 50 bucks is too much of an asking price though. I'd still say it's probably one of the best experiences offered on the rift right now.

How are the graphics? Is aliasing prevalent when looking so close to a screen like the Rift? Performance?

TheExodu5

Banned
I hate UPS

Went home for lunch hoping to be there when they delivered. Got home and it was still out for delivery. Went to leave an hour later and there was a UPS delivery notice on the door saying they missed me.

They didn't ring the doorbell. They didn't knock. God damnit.

TheExodu5

Banned
Okay, in anticipating of picking up my Rift tomorrow (grrrrr), I need some advice on what games I should be looking at.

Here's the thing: I'm still on a 2500K (@ 4.6GHz) and a GTX 680. I'm waiting on the next generation of video cards before upgrading since the 970 and 980 Ti are not worthwhile upgrades at this point, especially considering the value of the Canadian dollar.

So, what experiences can I most likely run at 90fps? I'm sure there must be many, as the GTX 680 is no slouch.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So how many kickstarters got shipments this week? According to oculus the vast majority of remaining KS backers are supposed to ship this week but it's deathly quiet over on Reddit

Finally got around to playing Lucky's Tale and Eve Valkyrie.

Eve is...boring, I guess? The combat doesn't seem to provide for much tactical maneuvering; every engagement just becomes circling your enemy until one of you lands enough hits. I was playing with a HOTAS and was competitive from my first match, but I don't think I'll stick with it. Star Citizen and Elite are far more dynamic in their combat, and far less shallow.

Lucky's Tale was delightful, I'll play through the entire game.

[EDIT] Oh, and it's really unfortunate that Valkyrie doesn't let you rebind inputs. Secondary fire is on the X55's pinky switch??

So, what experiences can I most likely run at 90fps? I'm sure there must be many, as the GTX 680 is no slouch.

Sad to say, the GTX 680 probably isn't going to be able to keep up with most VR games (it's 2 generations older than the minimum specs, and isn't even a top-of-the-line model). Expect frame rates to drop regularly. On the other hand, Asynchronous Time Warp means that you might still get a smooth frame rate when it comes to head movement, if nothing else. The drops will be visible as judder in the game objects, and hopefully not as camera judder.

TheExodu5

Banned
Sad to say, the GTX 680 probably isn't going to be able to keep up with most VR games (it's 2 generations older than the minimum specs, and isn't even a top-of-the-line model). Expect frame rates to drop regularly. On the other hand, Asynchronous Time Warp means that you might still get a smooth frame rate when it comes to head movement, if nothing else. The drops will be visible as judder in the game objects, and hopefully not as camera judder.

Well, I mean, I can still maintain 144fps+ for on fairly recent titles at 1080p, and there seem to be a lot of very simple VR experience out there. I'm not expecting to run Elite or The Climb, but I figure there must be some titles out there that aren't particularly demanding. The GTX 680 still has about 70-75% of the GTX 970's performance.

Does Euro Truck Sim 2 work with the CV1? I should be able to run that at reduced settings.

I think Oculus Home won't even load with a 680, it seems very picky about what it allows and doesn't.

Anyways Vanishing of Ethan Carter is $4 on GG.com
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-VOC/the-vanishing-of-ethan-carter

The VR version is $10 extra on steam. I picked it up from above, you have to wait 10 minutes before the key is shown but it worked fine and upgraded to steam VR version. You also get the UE4 version for free so not bad for $14.

Definitely going to wait on the ridiculous prices for stuff like Climb or Chronos, not worth $50 to me. I'd also prefer buying everything inside Steam, so if I ever switch headsets its not an issue.

Arucardo

Well, I mean, I can still maintain 144fps+ for on fairly recent titles at 1080p, and there seem to be a lot of very simple VR experience out there. I'm not expecting to run Elite or The Climb, but I figure there must be some titles out there that aren't particularly demanding. The GTX 680 still has about 70-75% of the GTX 970's performance.

Does Euro Truck Sim 2 work with the CV1? I should be able to run that at reduced settings.

ETS2 does work with the CV1 apparently, according to UPS I'm getting my rift next Wednesday so I'll def. check it out. Owned the game for ages now but never actually fired it up.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Jesus wept. I was looking forward to this game, but $49 is daylight robbery for that short an experience.

I bought it, it's installing now. I do agree it seems overpriced but there was a large team working on it.

LtjCBxd.jpg

Hopefully I'll get my money's worth in the end.

mitchman

Gold Member
My Rift just shipped to Norway, and I got my Eve code. I can't wait for this thing. With a 3-day work week next week, I should have a lot of time to play around with it, given that it arrives in time.
Same here! Got the mail with the code and such today, it's in the mail now. Also Norway, order 3-4 hours after they opened orders.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Fated: the silent oath also came out today. Has anyone tried that yet?

I may pick it up later. Just a note for my fellow Canadians, it's $20 US on the Oculus store but $20 CDN on Steam so you might want to pick it up there if you're getting it.

Struct09

Anyone else have the problem where the sensor isn't happy with their PC's USB 3 ports? The headset's USB connection is OK with the ports and the sensor can still work with other USB2 ports, but I imagine that's something I'll want to fix before Oculus Touch comes out.

StudioTan

Ok, The Climb is freaking legit. Probably the best sense of presence I've had yet.

Moving with the controller is actually very natural. You control each hand with a trigger and use the bumpers to add chalk to each hand which improves how long it can grip on it's own. Each hand has it's own stamina which recharges if you're gripping with both hands. It also takes into account where your body actually is so if you can lean left or right to help reach a grip or go up on your toes to get a little higher.

In terms of presence there are a couple of times where you have foliage dangling right in your face or a bug flying right in front of you checking you out and the it totally makes you feel like you're there. I've only done 1 climb but there was a point where you had a rock hanging above you that required you to duck in real life to get your head under it. Oh, and the game occasionally adds sweat running down the screen when you're running out of stamina which makes it feel like you're actually sweating. Great stuff.

Not to mention the graphics are GORGEOUS! Really digging it so far.

What "shitty operational practices"? That they have exclusives? That they had component shortages and can't talk about them for contractual reasons? That Palmer Luckey is still young and inexperienced in business, and doesn't really know how to address the public properly? That they are struggling to provide proper estimates in an uncertain shipping situation where any attempt to give an estimate will be met with cries of bloody murder if they are missed, since people don't know what the word "estimate" means?

Or something else entirely?

Nope, pretty much all those. And not even knowing of 99% of that unless you read their twitter and go to reddit. And not even their twitter for the most part.

I'm obviously in for gen 1, but I'm going to be avoiding Oculus Home as much as I can if this is the level of support and communication I can expect from the company in general.

I have received 1 email about the 1-3 week delay and I only knew to check my order status through reddit.

If Oculus Home goes down are we expected to check reddit for updates? Will they tell us about 5 hours in?

I think they've gone past the point of "companies are just quiet", it a month after their official launch and we don't even get weekly updates, emails, or posts. People are past their dates and some Kickstarters are still in the dark.

TheRed

Yeah I don't feel bad at all if people call out Oculus. They deserve it, they had to be aware of how many orders came in the first 10 minutes in January but kept the charade up that they'd be ready on March 28th. It took until until a couple days after to even get an official statement. They must've known they couldn't meet those expectations some time before but just decided to keep hush about it and even now have barely communicated still a month later.

Component shortages whatever they should've delayed the launch then but I'm not gonna be on their side and feel bad for them, them failing this bad at shipping these things to customers ready to throw so much money at them just shows incompetence to me. The only silver lining I see is that they haven't actually taken our money so really it's just a kick in the balls and has drained away all the hype.

TheExodu5

Banned
Ok, The Climb is freaking legit. Probably the best sense of presence I've had yet.

Moving with the controller is actually very natural. You control each hand with a trigger and use the bumpers to add chalk to each hand which improves how long it can grip on it's own. Each hand has it's own stamina which recharges if you're gripping with both hands. It also takes into account where your body actually is so if you can lean left or right to help reach a grip or go up on your toes to get a little higher.

In terms of presence there are a couple of times where you have foliage dangling right in your face or a bug flying right in front of you checking you out and the it totally makes you feel like you're there. I've only done 1 climb but there was a point where you had a rock hanging above you that required you to duck in real life to get your head under it. Oh, and the game occasionally adds sweat running down the screen when you're running out of stamina which makes it feel like you're actually sweating. Great stuff.

What kind of hardware are you running on? Any performance issues?

Karish

I played demo at GDC and it seems perfect for TOUCH. Think I will wait.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm half tempted to get a GTX 970 while I wait out the new gen...but really it should be here within a few months. They finally went on sale in Canada so I can get one for around $380 + tax. Still more than when it came out though due to the dollar disparity.

Wallach

The thing you have to realize with the Climb and Touch is that you will be holding your hands above your head the majority of the time you play so it will get tiring.

You can kind of extrapolate further and just consider the fact that whenever your hands are holding a grip, what are your real hands ideally doing? Stuff wouldn't translate that cleanly because your hands aren't gripping a stationary surface like the in-game hands are. Like imagine you reach out with your right hand and grab the next ledge; before you actually move, do you have to keep your hand in that position? You'd basically be mimicking the movement that happens during the transitions, instead of the movement being caused by your hand motions. I don't think it would feel right, you'd be dealing with a ton of constant, small disconnects between your actual hand position and the in-game position.

JambiBum

You can kind of extrapolate further and just consider the fact that whenever your hands are holding a grip, what are your real hands ideally doing? Stuff wouldn't translate that cleanly because your hands aren't gripping a stationary surface like the in-game hands are. Like imagine you reach out with your right hand and grab the next ledge; before you actually move, do you have to keep your hand in that position? You'd basically be mimicking the movement that happens during the transitions, instead of the movement being caused by your hand motions. I don't think it would feel right, you'd be dealing with a ton of constant, small disconnects between your actual hand position and the in-game position.

A lot of people in the oculus sub reddit have said that they are actually really glad that the Climb uses a controller instead of Touch because of how the game plays. I haven't tried it for myself yet but from everything I've read the controls are pretty much perfect for it. With that said, who knows how big of a difference Touch will make in the game once it releases. It could be much more immersive or it could be worse.

Also, I suggest that people try out the Big Screen beta on steam. It's actually pretty well polished already and works well. It's a nice alternative to Virtual Desktop, especially since it's free and the devs have stated it will always be free. The only thing that they will charge for is different backgrounds and the like.

Yeah but you are supposed to be climbing a mountain, which is quite tiring.

That sounds terrible.

Like, I get the "immersion" but it's like VR GTA actually making you run in an Omni for 1.5 miles if you wreck your car in the forest. Or making swimming motions to swim back to land for 500 yards.

I love doing shit, but that ain't the shit I want to do in a game!

StudioTan

Are there robust settings? Could you possibly try knocking it down to a 'medium' to see if it still looks pretty good? On my PC, Lucky's Tale looks amazing. Eve looks rough as hell.

Looks like there is only 1 graphics setting, High Quality, which was on by default for me. Turning it off the game still looks good but I think it's missing some shadowing and stuff although that could be my imagination. Still impressive though with it off.

TheExodu5

Banned
Holy shit. That T-Rex demo was amazing. As was the alien world one.

Both ran 100% perfectly on my GTX 680.

Some of the other demos had minor hitches.

Enordash

Looks like there is only 1 graphics setting, High Quality, which was on by default for me. Turning it off the game still looks good but I think it's missing some shadowing and stuff although that could be my imagination. Still impressive though with it off.

Thanks for checking!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom