• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have any reviews mentioned if you can use a different HDMI cable or if the included one is internal? I ask because I want to say my 970 only has a mini-HDMI port, so I would like to be able to use a mini to regular cable.

UnrealEck

Yeah the progress bar goes by in like a minute. But then it just says 'installing...' and never ends.
I quit out, closed the app and I'm retrying. It probably just hanged.

An interesting note of why Virtual Desktop isn't right now on Oculus store:

Allright, good news folks. Virtual Desktop will be delayed for a couple days as I finalize an agreement that will let me bundle an Oculus promo code with every Steam purchase. This means you will be able to launch Virtual Desktop from Home or from Steam.
The reason it can't be sold directly on Oculus Home is because my app doesn't support Windows 7 and Oculus doesn't currently support any kind of minimum requirements on a per app/game basis (sorry no juicy conspiracy stories for you).
Hope you'll understand the reason for this small delay. I think that in the end you'll be very happy to be able to launch from either store with your Steam purchase :)

Caleb187

Software install went quick, and it stepped you through connecting everything. I use a ds4 with inputmapper so I skipped through the xbox controller setup. It updated the sensor and oculus controller pad firmware during the steps. First impressions coming from someone that's only used the DK1, the screen certainly is better, but at the same time you can see where major improvements will be made with resolution, optics, and fov in the future. I guess I must have a small nose because looking down you can see plenty of space where the nose gap is. Makes it handy to find stuff on your desk but you might lose some immersion with this? They step you through some short demo examples after the setup, the T-Rex one being the most impressive. Everything has been intuitive and easy to setup. I'm installing Lucky's Tale now.

UnrealEck

Yeah this software isn't installing. It's just sitting there after the progress bar finishes. There's also no disk activity going on.

Excited! What makes these days longer is them sending out shipping/order notifications later in the day (around 6pm pst). Still hoping for an arrival this week being a late KS backer. Will probably check out Lucky's Tale on the dk2 later and see what else I can get to work on it.

An interesting note of why Virtual Desktop isn't right now on Oculus store:

"Allright, good news folks. Virtual Desktop will be delayed for a couple days as I finalize an agreement that will let me bundle an Oculus promo code with every Steam purchase. This means you will be able to launch Virtual Desktop from Home or from Steam.
The reason it can't be sold directly on Oculus Home is because my app doesn't support Windows 7 and Oculus doesn't currently support any kind of minimum requirements on a per app/game basis (sorry no juicy conspiracy stories for you).
Hope you'll understand the reason for this small delay. I think that in the end you'll be very happy to be able to launch from either store with your Steam purchase :)"

Fuuuuck, has there been any word on whether Windows 7 support is possible/on the way?

I have several programs I use for making Music that straight up break in Windows 10 and no intention of upgrading.

UnrealEck

Found a solution for software hang.

Open regedit.exe
Go to HKEY LOCAL MACHINE
Right click
Permissions
Reorder
Add Full Control
Restart Computer
Run Install Software

Wallach

Hmm, only Lucky's Tale appears as purchased in Oculus Home, not EVE.

Yeah, saw on Reddit from an Oculus employee that it isn't going to show up until they actually charge you. Once that happens you'll get a code in your order history on the site (or probably in the box as well) that you need to redeem. Since it isn't going to continue to be packed-in like Lucky's Tale it is handled differently.

PGamer

fucking juniors
I haven't bought a consumer model Rift but I thought I would try out the new storefront with my DK2 and to my surprise it says I own Lucky's Tale. Is this a mistake or does everyone get the game? I was under the impression it was only free for people who preorder the Rift.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Fuuuuck, has there been any word on whether Windows 7 support is possible/on the way?

I have several programs I use for making Music that straight up break in Windows 10 and no intention of upgrading.

The developer said that there will never be a Win7 version because it's too hard for him to make it work without Win10's OS features.

nakedeyes

Banned
7rOhziD.jpg

Welp, it arrived. Kickstarter backer. Installing new nvidia drivers and oculus software now.

Thats awesome!! I am sure you might have done this already, but would you mind sharing any info about what your order number is, or when / if you got a tracking number?

Kickstarter backer with order number 613000069***** and I am so confused as to when mine might show up! I have an order confirmation, but no tracking number or shipment notification yet... I am getting excited though!

Who knows but... could be related of how the software is interfacing with the real windows desktop, as I think in Win 8/10 the underlying model changed (Dx12 wasn't the only new thing in the graphic side in Windows).

Thats awesome!! I am sure you might have done this already, but would you mind sharing any info about what your order number is, or when / if you got a tracking number?

Kickstarter backer with order number 613000069***** and I am so confused as to when mine might show up! I have an order confirmation, but no tracking number or shipment notification yet... I am getting excited though!

You a US backer?

viveks86

Angry Joe had to keep adjusting the sensor for height differences between each other? For just head tracking? What's the FoV on this thing?

I haven't bought a consumer model Rift but I thought I would try out the new storefront with my DK2 and to my surprise it says I own Lucky's Tale. Is this a mistake or does everyone get the game? I was under the impression it was only free for people who preorder the Rift.

That's what everyone is seeing. My kickstarter order isn't attached to my Rift account, but I still have Lucky's Tale in my account and I haven't received my Rift yet.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how do you get a key for elite if you have the steam version? I haven't actually played it since buying it, as I wanted to debut it on the rift.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
My Rift will be shipping in the next week or two, and I don't even have my new PC built yet!

Angry Joe had to keep adjusting the sensor for height differences between each other? For just head tracking? What's the FoV on this thing?

100+ sideways, something like 70 vertical, I think. You'll want it set back, or you'll want to sit further back than you normally do. Ideally have it up at about head height, angled down.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
100+ sideways, something like 70 vertical, I think. You'll want it set back, or you'll want to sit further back than you normally do. Ideally have it up at about head height, angled down.

its narrow enough that putting it in front of your monitor could leave dead spots to the sides if you sit where you normally sit. You'd want to be a few feet back - so sensor behind the monitor if possible.

That review is garbage and the writer is obviously not part of the demo this is targeting, which he alludes to, and even links to a writeup a colleague of his did that actually is into it. Makes you wonder why they didn't just get that guy to do it. Also, he complains about having to use Windows for it. Think we can safely ignore this dude's assessment.

That review is garbage and the writer is obviously not part of the demo this is targeting, which he alludes to, and even links to a writeup a colleague of his did that actually is into it. Makes you wonder why they didn't just get that guy to do it. Also, he complains about having to use Windows for it. Think we can safely ignore this dude's assessment.

Oh dear. lol

Starting to see a pattern here... :/

Yeah I'm surprised to hear people knocking pCars. I haven't played it on DK2, but Assetta Corsa and Dirt Rally are some of my absolute favorite VR things.

JUST GOT MY SHIPPING EMAIL! I'm bursting Jerry, bursting!

edit: Omg it's the generic "Oculus is now shipping" every KS backer got as an update :/

Hype deflated

Glad I'm not the only US backer without a shipping email. Was getting a bit worried there thinking they'd got to most US backers and thought maybe I'd slipped through the cracks. So you didn't get the "shipping soon" one either?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The uploadvr review likens it to the iphone launch. And there might be some validity in that - its nice hardware but lacking compelling software like the iphone was until the app store opened.

Hari Seldon

I HAD TO MANUALLY UPGRADE MY DRIVERS!!!!!!

charpunk

I'm glad that everything seems to be working fine on my DK2 at least. Just played some Chronos and Lucky's Tale and both worked really well. Males the wait for my cv1 more bearable.

The developer said that there will never be a Win7 version because it's too hard for him to make it work without Win10's OS features.

Who knows but... could be related of how the software is interfacing with the real windows desktop, as I think in Win 8/10 the underlying model changed (Dx12 wasn't the only new thing in the graphic side in Windows).

Damn that's a real shame, I guess I'll have to weigh the options of getting a separate desktop then :(

Thanks for the replies though, much appreciated :)

The uploadvr review likens it to the iphone launch. And there might be some validity in that - its nice hardware but lacking compelling software like the iphone was until the app store opened.

At least there is a store out of the gate here. It's just going to take time and a ton of feedback before we get the triple A style of content that people are looking for.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

That's a pretty good point. I wonder if most of us would be better served by waiting a bit. I remember getting that first iphone at launch and everyone asking me, "okay, so what does it do differently? better?" I had no answer for them, haha. Looks cool? Then the software came eventually.

Judging by the Giant Bomb thread VR was a mistake, it's nothing but trash.

I die a little inside when they say things like 'I don't know that people will play a racing game this way when they want to set the best times.'

Even if we didn't already know that great plays on Dirt Rally do better in VR, I don't think people are necessarily looking for a competitive edge from VR. They've always been a little cynical to say the least.

I'm not panicking yet, because I wasn't too excited about Valkyrie (played the alpha or whatever) and the only thing they've played so far that I am excited about is Lucky's Tale or stuff that I know I already like such as Dreadhalls or Ethan Carter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom