• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

pezley

Banned
Me and the girl have been playing lucky stale on the DK2 and must say it works amazingly. Wasn't sold on VR with the pre release demos etc but this has turned such a basic game into something very fun.

When I look at the software I'm like.. this is a launch. This feels like a launch. But I can't get excited. Maybe it's because I can't go into a store and just pick one up.. maybe it's because of the cost of a new graphics card. I hope the software does well. If developers begin to raise concerns about sales in the next six months it might put a major damper on whether I buy one.

viveks86

RoadToVR sheds some light on the motion sickness issue with pCARS:

The comfort rating for Project CARS is rated as intense, and I did experience some motion sickness from the brief time that I played the game. I am really sensitive to simulator sickness and there are some things in Project CARS that trigger it for me such as tilting the horizon line when going on a banked curve, suddenly stopping when crashing, or going up or down hills. All of these produce a disconnect between my visual and vestibular systems, and start to make me feel a little nauseous.

They do use a cockpit which helps to reduce vection, but the dense textures on the tracks still produce enough optical flow to potentially be another trigger for some people. This would be a difficult VR experience for me personally to play for an extended length of time, and so just be aware if you know that you’re susceptible to simulator sickness from VR locomotion. But if you’re not, then this is bound to be an intense racing experience — especially with the multiplayer mode.
http://www.roadtovr.com/creating-authentic-racing-simulation-project-cars/

UnrealEck

When I look at the software I'm like.. this is a launch. This feels like a launch. But I can't get excited. Maybe it's because I can't go into a store and just pick one up.. maybe it's because of the cost of a new graphics card. I hope the software does well. If developers begin to raise concerns about sales in the next six months it might put a major damper on whether I buy one.

The games are definitely not there yet. I still want to try Project Cars and Elite in VR with proper controllers though.
Rift and to a lesser extent (because the controls are there) Vive are going to be a bit different as a launch. With consoles it's just a new console. Even a cool new peripheral like the Wii motes weren't this big a deal. VR is so different that I'm willing to accept it's going to take a while to pick up some momentum.

Vuze

I'm kicking myself a bit for having sold my DK2 a few weeks ago. I didn't expect it to work with Oculus Home and (to a partial extent) the applications on there.

Anyway, enjoy your new kits guys! I can't wait to hear user impressions within the next few days.

Soroc

I'm kicking myself a bit for having sold my DK2 a few weeks ago. I didn't expect it to work with Oculus Home and (to a partial extent) the applications on there.

Anyway, enjoy your new kits guys! I can't wait to hear user impressions within the next few days.

Out of curiosity what did you sell yours for? I may want to sell mine.

20160328_151718plo2r.jpg

Best pic I could get through the lenses with my phone. Click that one to get a rough idea of the screen door. The Dreamdeck thing was brief but very cool. Like a VR slideshow of the sort of thing it can do. This quality of screen with better positional tracking is wonderful.

Going to try something on Steam VR now and report back.

UnrealEck

All this nausea talk has me a bit worried.
I don't get motion sick in cars or trains or anything. But I have felt a bit off when playing some first person shooters. But it's pretty rare.
I hope most things will be fine.

I kind of hope walking around in games without actually walking in the real world won't make me ill. I'd like to try things like Alien Isolation.

The games are definitely not there yet. I still want to try Project Cars and Elite in VR with proper controllers though.
Rift and to a lesser extent (because the controls are there) Vive are going to be a bit different as a launch. With consoles it's just a new console. Even a cool new peripheral like the Wii motes weren't this big a deal. VR is so different that I'm willing to accept it's going to take a while to pick up some momentum.
Software rarely is there at launch though. It just has that feeling of.. this is new, unique, exciting proof of concepts. The Wii was the last time I got really hyped about new hardware so if you're saying this is on those terms or above without Nintendo software then that's rad.

Foggy

Is GiantBomb that important?

It seems like it can decide the fate of VR judging from some of the posts here and in other threads.

I always got the impression that they were more just personalities than tastemakers, but what do I know? I was never able to get into what they do. Either way, it's not going to matter much in the long-term.

TheMan

I feel you; hard to get excited about something you can't afford or even try out. I was actually pretty hyped until fairly recently when reality set in.

Also, there is no killer app yet that motivates me to move heaven and earth to get my hands on a VR headset.

artsi

Will do. I have Albino Lullaby on Steam and it used to work on my DK2. I have already enabled third party sources or whatever.

Could you try to disable it, and see what kind of dialog pops up?

I want to know if it's a "you can't use this program" vs "this program is unsigned, do you want to run it?"

Soroc

420€ which is actually a decent chunk more than I bought it for from Oculus thanks to good dollar rates back then lol

Fantastic, thanks for the info, think I might put mine up for sale as I think I'm going to sideline VR for a year or 2 first and let the tech mature.

nakedeyes

Banned
Woop! Just barely got an order update from Ocuclus!

"
Hi TIMOTHY,

Your order has been processed and your Rift is almost on its way! Look for a shipping confirmation email with tracking information soon.

Please keep this email handy for reference. If you have any questions or concerns about your order, please contact Oculus Support.

The Oculus Team
"

I want to know if it's a "you can't use this program" vs "this program is unsigned, do you want to run it?"

Currently it just gives me Fatal OVR dll errors when I try and run it.

Steam VR says 'no compatible headset detected'. I tried stopping the Oculus service to see if that made a difference and it did not.

Best pic I could get through the lenses with my phone. Click that one to get a rough idea of the screen door. The Dreamdeck thing was brief but very cool. Like a VR slideshow of the sort of thing it can do. This quality of screen with better positional tracking is wonderful.

Can you take a shot of the text in the cockpit of any ship in Elite Dangerous ?

By your photos, the SDE is almost an invisible scanline.

Thanks for this.

Congrats dude :D

If you get a chance to try out AirMech or Defense Grid 2 could you please give us a quick run down of your impressions?

I already love those games so VR support is just icing on the cake for me :)

Yeah, that lost all credibility for me after the "you can't see any of the 16 buttons on the controller, so using it requires gamer muscle memory" line. What I get from this review is that the author doesn't really care much for videogames, feels that most games would be just as engaging on a TV, and expected the almost tech demo-esque launch titles to be deeply emotionally impactful experiences.

Vesper73

Just got my Kickstarter CV1! Opened the box, first thing I see is a green thank you card signed by Palmer, Brendan, Nate, and Michael. :*)

/it starts

Enordash

That picture gives me pretty high hopes for the visual quality. I had the DK1 and boy was that something else...

The tracking space looks waay larger than the DK2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyNKR_-uKfs

People are probably placing it in bad spots if they're getting limited tracking. It easily does roomscale.

Well, I think this is how I'm going to set up my sensor. Should be pretty easy to set it up for full room scale once the Touch releases.

Any way to get around having to install on C drive?

No. They said they will be releasing an update to the software within 2-3 weeks (ballpark!) which should allow you to install games to other drives. In the meantime you should use symlinks and junctions to set it up to other drives.

Tain

Didn't realize Airmech was a different game than the F2P version. Or I'm assuming it is, given the price?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm still awaiting impressions. Either folks are so floored by it that they can't tear themselves away or they are cursing because they can't get the thing to work.

Which is it guys. Which is it?

4.10 Doesn't show a headset connected when I launch it. Just trying UE 4.11 preview. I'm guessing we're going to be waiting for an update from Epic.

vermadas

According to some dude on reddit, you get a dialog warning you it's from an unknown source and directs you to the checkbox. I don't know the exact wording used.

I'm still awaiting impressions. Either folks are so floored by it that they can't tear themselves away or they are cursing because they can't get the thing to work.

Which is it guys. Which is it?

So SDE is a little better than Gear VR. A lot better than DK2. Tracking space is much wider. I was able to walk about a good bit and lie down on the floor and stuff. Cable is about 11 feet. Bumped into a few things.

Home is homely. The Dreamspaces or whatever are basically a bit like a short slide show of VR environments. The one where you're up on top of a sky scraper has a billboard of Palmer Luckey behind you that made me laugh.

Pinball FX2 VR really impressed me and that's what I tried first. The positional sound is really good. That game always had good surround sound (no really, it always did) but now it really felt like the audio was coming out of speakers on the backboard, and I could hear the ball rolling around the table clear as day. I turned off the silly ball trails, and it's incredibly like playing real pinball except with sharks swimming right by you. This isn't distracting when you're playing the game, and it's fun when you're waiting for your next ball or whatever. 90 hz really benefits pinball too.

No visible flickering. There is an odd internal reflection or refraction thing that happens when bright things get off sensor, almost like a god ray or a lens flare. It's slight but noticeable when I'm walking around doing stuff.

Time for some Lucky's Tale I think.

Edit: Just loaded Lucky's Tale. The art style really pops in 3D compared to how it looked in the trailer. Also the front of the rift feels slightly warm to the touch. More random observations to follow!

UnrealEck

How do games look in terms of resolution? I kept hearing from Giant Bomb that things like Project Cars looked kinda low res. I'm starting to think 720p on a 24 inch monitor bad. Maybe resolution scale is being tuned because they were 'only' using a 970.

Mmm they said Rift would include multiple faceplate interfaces for different faces/people with glasses, Luckey said how every face was different blahblah and it was even in the preorder page; but in the end it only includes one. Pretty shitty.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So SDE is a little better than Gear VR. A lot better than DK2. Tracking space is much wider. I was able to walk about a good bit and lie down on the floor and stuff. Cable is about 11 feet. Bumped into a few things.

Home is homely. The Dreamspaces or whatever are basically a bit like a short slide show of VR environments. The one where you're up on top of a sky scraper has a billboard of Palmer Luckey behind you that made me laugh.

Pinball FX2 VR really impressed me and that's what I tried first. The positional sound is really good. That game always had good surround sound (no really, it always did) but now it really felt like the audio was coming out of speakers on the backboard, and I could hear the ball rolling around the table clear as day. I turned off the silly ball trails, and it's incredibly like playing real pinball except with sharks swimming right by you. This isn't distracting when you're playing the game, and it's fun when you're waiting for your next ball or whatever. 90 hz really benefits pinball too.

No visible flickering. There is an odd internal reflection or refraction thing that happens when bright things get off sensor, almost like a god ray or a lens flare. It's slight but noticeable when I'm walking around doing stuff.

Time for some Lucky's Tale I think.

Edit: Just loaded Lucky's Tale. The art style really pops in 3D compared to how it looked in the trailer. Also the front of the rift feels slightly warm to the touch. More random observations to follow!

Thank you very much. Great impressions. I love what you said about the pinball game.

How do games look in terms of resolution? I kept hearing from Giant Bomb that things like Project Cars looked kinda low res. I'm starting to think 720p on a 24 inch monitor bad. Maybe resolution scale is being tuned because they were 'only' using a 970.

They had to play most of the games on middle or low because of the 970.

UnrealEck

Mmm they said Rift would include multiple faceplate interfaces for different faces/people with glasses, Luckey said how every face was different blahblah and it was even in the preorder page; but in the end it only includes one. Pretty shitty.

Yeah that does dissapoint.
I have a pretty small head I think and my nose is quite small so I'm thinking I might get a fair bit of space between my face and the foam insert.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Woop! Just barely got an order update from Ocuclus!

"
Hi TIMOTHY,

Your order has been processed and your Rift is almost on its way! Look for a shipping confirmation email with tracking information soon.

Please keep this email handy for reference. If you have any questions or concerns about your order, please contact Oculus Support.

The Oculus Team
"

Pre-order or KS Backer?
Country?
What range was your order number?

I'm a 25 and still haven't had anything beyond the 1-3 week email.

artsi

According to some dude on reddit, you get a dialog warning you it's from an unknown source and directs you to the checkbox. I don't know the exact wording used.

Yep, someone else just posted a screenshot to the other thread. At least it instructs how to allow the app to run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom