• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

p2535748

Mine just came! Sadly, I'm at work, so I've got it here in my office, but now I need to wait for the end of the day to actually try the thing.

Nice box though!

The thing is, if you want to have the best experience (graphical) I guess you will either buy one of the new Pascal cards or have a 980.

Especially after seeing that computerbase performance, where even that Minigolf game didnt run well with a 970.
So it won't be on the Oculus Store, or they'll optimise.

From that game's dev:
Hey everyone! Cloudlands dev here. The current demo on Steam runs most consistently on those specs. However the final release of the game that will coincide with the launch of the Vive will be a GTX 970 or AMD 290. These optimizations simply weren't ready to be pushed to Steam yet which is why the store page wasn't updated. Don't worry, we're targeting the Vive minimum spec. We want everyone who owns a Vive to be able to play all of our games.

I really want to save Windlands for Touch.

Yeah that's what I'm planning on doing, although Giant Bomb are playing it now and it looks like it should be just fine with the pad. But I'm going to wait.

I've got Dead Secret and Darknet on GearVR. I don't think I'd rebuy those, but I'm hoping they're cross buy. I will be rebuying if it's not cross buy Dreadhalls. I love that game.

this looks like something that will be awesome in VR and boring for everyone not playing it in VR

I really want to see Chronos, I think that's my launch day game based on impressions so far

this looks like something that will be awesome in VR and boring for everyone not playing it in VR

I really want to see Chronos, I think that's my launch day game based on impressions so far

Darknet? Yeah. I guess so. It's good though. I just don't know that it needs to be any more than the Gear VR version I already own since leaning isn't super useful in this. The graphics are pretty simple as you can see.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How does the oculus store unlock Eve valkryie? Should I have received a code or something from Oculus, or does it come in the box? Luckey's tale showing up as free anyway but EVE is showing at full price.

Also how do you handle games that you might have in steam that also have VR mode like PCars? Do you need to get a key from them to redeem in the oculus store, or do you just have to launch them from steam?

(I don't have my rift, just downloading some stuff in advance)

There's a UPS truck in my apartment complex right now. He's just sitting there! Why is he just sitting there?????
How does the oculus store unlock Eve valkryie? Should I have received a code or something from Oculus, or does it come in the box? Luckey's tale showing up as free anyway but EVE is showing at full price.

Also how do you handle games that you might have in steam that also have VR mode like PCars? Do you need to get a key from them to redeem in the oculus store, or do you just have to launch them from steam?

They just emailed me a code about an hour ago.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
also, please piss off with the 'your computer doesn't meet minimum specs. banner across the store. My 3570k will be just fine thanks.

Man

Surprise announcement by Oculus!

Farlands included with Rift. Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zQgUgeJuHg

"We’re excited to announce Farlands, a tiny alien world that comes with your Rift. It’s a new kind of VR experience created by Oculus that’s built with Epic’s Unreal Engine 4 and designed for Rift."

You can download the software now. Luckeys Tale is already in your Library.
Anyone knows where you can use Oculus keys?

Edit: Henry and Lost are only free for a limited time, so get that.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Oh damn, so VR does not really run that well on a 970? I just upgraded to that about 3 weeks ago. Fucking bummer if true.

This is what I'm wondering as well. The Oculus store app seems to do everything to be one of those locked down unconfigurable experiences. Even as someone who is getting an Oculus and waiting to see with the Vive, the SteamVR stuff seems way more advanced and give users more options on how they want to experience stuff.

Room-scale size test (with single camera)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_HlXzELHgo

Pretty big for being only with one camera, when the message show ups sometimes (when he is in the limit of the vision cone) is usually when he was crouched, and I think it was because he had the camera tilted up, prepared for standing up. I think putting the camera at a slightly higher height but leaving it leveled up with the floor would produce better results. But even when he go prone in the ground the camera still would pick him up, if he was at the optimal distance.

So just so no one is shocked later, you can't choose where games install right now and you can't choose where Oculus Home installs either. Not sure if you can just move everything and have it work, I'll let you guys know.

bomblord1

Banned
I'm wanting to order an Oculus Rift but apparently it doesn't charge until it ships and current estimated ship date is in July. I have the money now I might not have the money then.

If I wait until July to order I'm sure the ship date will pushed back even further presenting the same issue. Is there anyway to just make it charge my card upfront?

I'm wanting to order an Oculus Rift but apparently it doesn't charge until it ships and current estimated ship date is in July. I have the money now I might not have the money then.

If I wait until July to order I'm sure the ship date will pushed back even further presenting the same issue. Is there anyway to just make it charge my card upfront?

Assuming they allow paypal (not sure) you could just put the money in a paypal account and pay with said account.
Is Oculus home possible to download?

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/setup/

Pretty big for being only with one camera, when the message show ups sometimes (when he is in the limit of the vision cone) is usually when he was crouched, and I think it was because he had the camera tilted up, prepared for standing up. I think putting the camera at a slightly higher height but leaving it leveled up with the floor would produce better results.

On Reddit he said he's going to make another video where it is on the ceiling, in the corner and looking down (like the Vive recommends). Will be interesting to see the results!

artsi

Pretty big for being only with one camera, when the message show ups sometimes (when he is in the limit of the vision cone) is usually when he was crouched, and I think it was because he had the camera tilted up, prepared for standing up. I think putting the camera at a slightly higher height but leaving it leveled up with the floor would produce better results. But even when he go prone in the ground the camera still would pick him up, if he was at the optimal distance.

That's pretty good considering the setup is not the best. Mounting the camera a bit higher or having two should make the experience a lot better.

Installing software now.

Hype level keeps increasing well past critical.

Installing Elite: Dangerous on Steam for now until they get the install drive issue sorted out.

Oculus Home seems to break if you install it and then move the directory and try to launch it. This is super problematic for me. My C drive is my OS drive and it's very small. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom