• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That's a pretty good point. I wonder if most of us would be better served by waiting a bit. I remember getting that first iphone at launch and everyone asking me, "okay, so what does it do differently? better?" I had no answer for them, haha. Looks cool? Then the software came eventually.

I think most - as in the standard consumer - is probably better served by at least waiting 6-12 months to see what new software comes out. But anyone into their tech or that remembers VR from back in the 90s may feel justified buying this just because it is here, and wants to follow along as people experiment with it.

That's a pretty good point. I wonder if most of us would be better served by waiting a bit. I remember getting that first iphone at launch and everyone asking me, "okay, so what does it do differently? better?" I had no answer for them, haha. Looks cool? Then the software came eventually.

The main highlight for gen1 iphone for me was playing scumm games on it, thought that was the coolest thing ever. Thankfully we don't have to jailbreak our Rifts.

nakedeyes

Banned
Glad I'm not the only US backer without a shipping email. Was getting a bit worried there thinking they'd got to most US backers and thought maybe I'd slipped through the cracks. So you didn't get the "shipping soon" one either?

I didn't! I have only gotten the 3/15 email about it moving into the next phase. Still says "Pre-Order" with no shipping number if I check the status. Hope we both hear something soon!

I didn't! I have only gotten the 3/15 email about it moving into the next phase. Still says "Pre-Order" with no shipping number if I check the status. Hope we both hear something soon!

Same!

What next phase email?!?!?! I'm so scared. I have nothing.

It was the one saying they're received your "pre order" and will assign tracking once it ships. Should have come in on 3/15 if you were a KS backer.

Tried Oculus Home with my DK2.
Had to update to Crimson 13.3.1 for my HD7970 AMD card to make it works, otherwise I would just get a black screen in my HMD.

Lucky's Tale: Only played the first map, it works flawlessly. Pretty and cute, but the first map is bland and uninspiring, hopefully it gets better later.

Oculus Dreamdeck: Got a lot of judder, the demo itself wasn't anything special.

360 Video: Too low quality to be really enjoyable, it was kinda jarring to go from crystal clear, color bright 3D environments to compressed and dull 360 videos.

Kyne

Pfft, of course its isolating, thats the point you stupid old fart.

I don't know about that. I've tried VR, and the reason that I don't use my current gear is because of that same isolated feeling.

VR (to me) needs to be about an open social experience. I have too many friends to just sit in a quiet room alone, for hours on end. I understand that every once in a while that would be cool, but unless it's a long lasting investment there's no way I'm going to shell out $500+ for something to collect dust.

I look forward to seeing how multiplayer games grow on the platform. Even just sitting around 5 other people while playing poker and having voice chat activated would be amazing.

I don't know about that. I've tried VR, and the reason that I don't use my current gear is because of that same isolated feeling.

VR (to me) needs to be about an open social experience. I have too many friends to just sit in a quiet room alone, for hours on end. I understand that every once in a while that would be cool, but unless it's a long lasting investment there's no way I'm going to shell out $500+ for something to collect dust.

I look forward to seeing how multiplayer games grow on the platform. Even just sitting around 5 other people while playing poker and having voice chat activated would be amazing.

VR Poker is a thing already actually, at least for Gear. Might have to sideload it though. There will certainly be a push for social apps from the big three.

I die a little inside when they say things like 'I don't know that people will play a racing game this way when they want to set the best times.'

Even if we didn't already know that great plays on Dirt Rally do better in VR, I don't think people are necessarily looking for a competitive edge from VR. They've always been a little cynical to say the least.

I'm not panicking yet, because I wasn't too excited about Valkyrie (played the alpha or whatever) and the only thing they've played so far that I am excited about is Lucky's Tale or stuff that I know I already like such as Dreadhalls or Ethan Carter.

I think it was pretty established how it improves your play in sim racers and in games like Elite. But it's Giantbomb, what did you expect.

Has anyone at Oculus said why orders aren't shipping until mid-week? What are they doing today and tomorrow?

I suppose they haven't shipped ALL the KS backers, just a portion.

Angry Joe had to keep adjusting the sensor for height differences between each other? For just head tracking? What's the FoV on this thing?

No, that's a setting that games can look and adjust the virtual camera's height. So if you are in a first person game, your virtual height is the same as the real one.

Peru

I'd spend 100 bucks on this, if I didn't already own the Gear VR. Because it basically seems like the same novelty stuff as in the Gear Oculus Store, plus support for a few full games that really shouldn't be played in VR. Obviously it'll allow for more graphically advanced games.. but nothing suggests those games are great VR experiences.

Ponn

Banned

The social experience is completely possible with VR but it will never be from an in the same room party type setting. It's going to be from a Playstation HOME type setting or MMORPG type game. I'm really surprised we haven't really seen anything like that yet but i'm sure someone has something like it in development. They need to get something like that out real soon to help sell VR.

Frozone

I sure hope I get a shipping date this week. I'll be out of town April 14th and hoping I get it before then.

Also, where can we order Chronos? I want that game bad!

So...I thought I remembered a post in the other thread about an Oculus support page that would let you check your order/tracking status, except that it said something like "should start working in a few days".

I dug through the thread, and found it. Turns out it's just a page that tells you how to do the same thing I do twice a day already - get an e-mail with no info in it.

:(

Come on, Oculus, just give me a page that says "March". That's what it said when I ordered, just show me that same word again. Is that so much to ask?

Looks like I'll definitely be waiting until gen 2 or 3. I'd like to see higher resolution screens, larger game library with some killer apps, and touch controllers.

Seiru

Banned
Looks like I'll definitely be waiting until gen 2 or 3. I'd like to see higher resolution screens, larger game library with some killer apps, and touch controllers.

Man, I'm the total opposite. I'm so excited to be ground floor with this stuff. I hope you'll be joining us in a few years and we can all explore the metaverse together!

Now if only Oculus would ship my headset.

So I thought software bought on the Oculus Store on the Gear VR would be owned on the Oculus Store on the PC?
Like Dead Secret, Darknet, Keep Talking, etc?

That doesn't seem to be the case for me.

More software today

https://www.vrfocus.com/2016/03/more-content-confirmed-for-oculus-rift-launch/

Recently confirmed to also be arriving today are: Alpha Wave Entertainment’s Euclidean; The Body VR from Moshe Ben-Zacharia; FIRMA by Think Heavy Ltd; COLOSSE; Viewpoint Games’ VR Karts; Immersive Entertainment’s The Grand Canyon VR Experience; Subnautica from Unknown Worlds Entertainment ; ZeroTransform’s Proton Pulse Plus and Time Machine VR by Minority Media. These add a sizeable increase to the Oculus Rift’s already impressive line-up of software, giving gamers lots of choices for virtual reality (VR) experiences.

So I thought software bought on the Oculus Store on the Gear VR would be owned on the Oculus Store on the PC?
Like Dead Secret, Darknet, Keep Talking, etc?

That doesn't seem to be the case for me.

There was speculation on Internet about it and comments that it could depend on each developer, but I don't remember any confirmation.

viveks86

Some hardware criticism from PC world:

Which brings us into the negative portion of this hardware assessment. Let’s start with the camera. Oculus’s external position-tracking camera works by measuring infrared LEDs on the headset, some of which are now built into the rear of the Rift. However, I found the positional tracking to be slightly less accurate when your head’s turned away from the Rift than when you’re facing the camera straight-on, and there’s still occasionally a jarring leap when you spin 180 degrees.

Furthermore, the Rift’s camera doesn’t actually track that large a space. It’s generally big enough for Oculus’s original goals—seated VR. But it’s clear that standing VR and room-scale VR in HTC Vive-esque fashion was (or maybe still is) an afterthought for Oculus. The amount of space tracked by the Rift camera is small, and makes standing-centric games like Farlands a bit of a chore as you try to stay inside the Rift’s bounds.

It doesn’t help that Oculus never really explains where the Rift’s camera should be placed. The DK2 Rift camera mounted on top of a monitor; it was clear where Oculus expected it to go. The consumer Rift ships with the camera mounted on a pole, like a miniature desk lamp. I have no idea where to put it. On the edge of my desk so it tracks more of the floor? On the rear of my desk so I don’t casually knock it over? And what angle should it be mounted at?

After a bit of fiddling I think I finally have it in an optimal position for my space, but it’s not as set-up-and-go friendly as the design first indicates when you pull it out of the box.

Other issues persist too. As with all VR headsets, residual heat builds up in the display, and though the Rift never became uncomfortably hot I definitely appreciated the cool, cool breeze against my face when I’d take it off. The tether on the Rift is another sore spot. It’s lightweight, but it’s also short—much shorter than the Vive’s—and tends to get hooked under stuff with obnoxious regularity.

Seiru

Banned
I die a little inside when they say things like 'I don't know that people will play a racing game this way when they want to set the best times.'

Even if we didn't already know that great plays on Dirt Rally do better in VR, I don't think people are necessarily looking for a competitive edge from VR. They've always been a little cynical to say the least.

I'm not panicking yet, because I wasn't too excited about Valkyrie (played the alpha or whatever) and the only thing they've played so far that I am excited about is Lucky's Tale or stuff that I know I already like such as Dreadhalls or Ethan Carter.

It feels like of weird that they'd play Project CARS in a VR headset, but not use a wheel. I mean, the point is that you feel like you're driving a car, right?

Mine just arrived. Hype!

20160328_150458m7ptg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom