• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oculus Home seems to break if you install it and then move the directory and try to launch it. This is super problematic for me. My C drive is my OS drive and it's very small. :|

They are going to provide a fix to install game content through Oculus Home on other drives in the next 2-3 weeks apparently.

Room-scale size test (with single camera)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_HlXzELHgo

Pretty big for being only with one camera, when the message show ups sometimes (when he is in the limit of the vision cone) is usually when he was crouched, and I think it was because he had the camera tilted up, prepared for standing up. I think putting the camera at a slightly higher height but leaving it leveled up with the floor would produce better results. But even when he go prone in the ground the camera still would pick him up, if he was at the optimal distance.

Interesting. That's about as much room as I'll have if not more so this is good to see.

I got screwed over with the credit card glitch, who knows when I will get it. I am super jealous.

So what is a good first ever VR experience. I want to take it easy, not a game yet. Something to simply feel immersed. With all the free stuff available what do you dev kit guys recommend.

Cool. As long as it works...

The important thing that we don't know yet, though, is if you can import individual game .exes into Steam so you can configure the controls. I suppose you'll also have to configure them out of game first, since the Steam overlay won't work in-game.

robotrock

Banned
I got screwed over with the credit card glitch, who knows when I will get it. I am super jealous.

So what is a good first ever VR experience. I want to take it easy, not a game yet. Something to simply feel immersed. With all the free stuff available what do you dev kit guys recommend.
What is the credit card glitch

Caleb187

7rOhziD.jpg

Welp, it arrived. Kickstarter backer. Installing new nvidia drivers and oculus software now.

I didnt have a devkit, but from all the things I tried out the New Retro Arcade was one of the best experiences I had.

qKaC3K

The Oculus Story Studio demos. Henry & Lost

If I had known that the username I used way back on the site in January would be the one I would use in Home I would have come up with something snazzier.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Can anyone that has received their CV1 answer this for me?

How do the game pack-ins arrive and get enabled (Lucky's Tale and EVE)?

Here is my problem: I made my Oculus ID with DK1/2 and I never intended on it being my "Oculus Name" that friends see. We are not allowed to change our Oculus ID. So if I just create a new account, will I still be able to have Eve and Lucky's tale on that account or is it tied to the account I ordered with?

I don't want to start pre-loading games on a new account if everything doesn't transfer over.

Thanks!

Here is my problem: I made my Oculus ID with DK1/2 and I never intended on it being my "Oculus Name" that friends see. We are not allowed to change our Oculus ID. So if I just create a new account, will I still be able to have Eve and Lucky's tale on that account or is it tied to the account I ordered with?

I don't want to start pre-loading games on a new account if everything doesn't transfer over.

Thanks!
It seems like every new account gets Lucky's Tale, and Eve Valkyrie is an e-mail code that you have to manually punch in anyways.

So you should be good.

Did you uninstall the previous runtime and sensor driver (if you had a DK1/2 already hooked up)? I did so before I installed the new one just as a precaution, as I thought maybe the process already running would interfere with the new runtime installation.

I didn't have the old runtime installed.

jack....

Thanks!

My Rift hasn't been delivered yet (should be here today), but I got an email with a code to redeem for EVE this morning.

Not sure how Lucky's Tale is being delivered.

Exuro

I didn't have the old runtime installed.
Just chiming in to say that I'm having the same issue. Did a restart and it's still occurring. Doubled checked if I had any oculus stuff installed but I had redone my computer so there's none of it on there. Not sure what to do.

So how is mouse and keyboard support? Can you play controller games with them, or is the xbox pad mandatory for most (exclusive) games?

Riptwo

My Rift is arriving today, and I have to make a choice about a new GPU to replace a 7970. I'm leaning towards an eVGA 970 since the step-up program might end up saving the day if new cards are launched soon, but I'm wondering if there are any benefits to going the 390 route instead. Is there any reason to avoid the 970?

Just chiming in to say that I'm having the same issue. Did a restart and it's still occurring. Doubled checked if I had any oculus stuff installed but I had redone my computer so there's none of it on there. Not sure what to do.

Yeah, I restarted and the result is the same.

jack....

My Rift is arriving today, and I have to make a choice about a new GPU to replace a 7970. I'm leaning towards an eVGA 970 since the step-up program might end up saving the day if new cards are launched soon, but I'm wondering if there are any benefits to going the 390 route instead. Is there any reason to avoid the 970?

The 390s extra RAM may come in handy.

viveks86

The important thing that we don't know yet, though, is if you can import individual game .exes into Steam so you can configure the controls. I suppose you'll also have to configure them out of game first, since the Steam overlay won't work in-game.

Nooooo.... Is it not possible to invoke this via steam? Like Origin games?

Giant Bomb are loving Lucky's Tale. Which is no surprise really. I think this is going to really impress people who are kind of sleeping on what a traditional game might be like in VR.

Skenzin

Banned
So their shipping preorders soon, possibly Wednesday. But they can't tell anyone when their preorder is shipping because they don't know. This is the biggest breakdown of logic since the plot of Donnie Darko. My guess is they don't know where anyone's place in line is until they start dinging $600 against a cc. What a cluster of poor logistics.

Giant Bomb are loving Lucky's Tale. Which is no surprise really. I think this is going to really impress people who are kind of sleeping on what a traditional game might be like in VR.

I'm reading lots of positive comments/impressions/reviews about it, which is curious as almost everyone kind of ignored it in 2015.

----

From what I'm reading in reviews, the software side of Oculus still have to improve
-Only can be installed in C:, as commented already
-Non-functional friend list. You can't talk to them? And Oculus games doesn't seem to access the list for matchmaking, etc.
-Games can't be downloaded while you are playing another one.
-Games can't be fully installed in the VR Oculus Home, there is final step that has to be done in the monitor/mouse.

Thanati

Anyone tried Elite Dangerous yet? I already have it (bought over a year ago) but I don't want to have to buy it again from the Oculus store. Does it just upgrade automatically in-game?

WGMBY

Anyone tried Elite Dangerous yet? I already have it (bought over a year ago) but I don't want to have to buy it again from the Oculus store. Does it just upgrade automatically in-game?

You can get a key from Frontier that should allow you to get the game in the Oculus store if you already own a copy. That's how it worked for the Steam version of Elite at least.

edit: beaten

Go to your account on the Elite Dangerous site, somewhere you can get a key for the Oculus Home version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom