• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that roller coaster thing you're referring to is the unreal engine tech demo that uses old infinity blade castle assets. It's for DK1-2 afaik not the CV Rift.

And this Doom?

https://github.com/cmbruns/gz3doom/wiki/How-to-run-GZ3Doom-on-Oculus-Rift-Consumer-Version-(CV1)

Is the old stuff really that bad? I missed years of VR stuff, I would like to try it out.

What's the best relaxing VR experience to show my parents?

Oh and is there some zombie shooting game on RIft, it can be something crappy just something with zombies.

Hey, guys, my Rift is supposed to arrive within the next 3 weeks and I have a few questions.
I saw some talk in this thread about vorpx, which I understand is a tool to make non-VR games work with the Rift.
Let's say I want to play first person games like Dying Light, Wolfenstien, Crysis, Battlefield, Far Cry, Metro etc. on the Rift.
Can I do it?
Does it work/feel well so that I'll want to do it?
Has anyone here done it?
Should I forget about it and only play made-for-VR/VR-supported games?

Can I do it?
Does it work/feel well so that I'll want to do it?
Has anyone here done it?
Should I forget about it and only play made-for-VR/VR-supported games?

1. Yes, mostly. Dependson the game. Some cockpit games allegedly work very well.
2. In my experience it doesn't feel very great, but some people swear by it. It does require an iron stomach to avoid getting nauseous. It also requires a lot of tweaking to get it more comfortable.
3. I only did it back in the development kit days. I suspect it works better today.
4. It will help your expectations if you concentrate on the games with official support, and think of anything you might get to work well in vorpx as purely a bonus.

I finally got my rift yesterday after a long wait, and I cant help but feel disappointed in it. It was my first VR experience besides a 5 minute Gear VR demo. I see all of the potential, but the field of view is way smaller than I expected. I feel like I am looking through a small oval into a larger world as opposed to having my peripheral vision see into the vr space as well. I have tried every position for the lenses, but I can still see their outlines when I am using the headset. It's hard for me to feel like I am "there" with the black oval outline as well as the lens' outlines directly in my vision. The nose gap also feels a bit too big unless I make my room pitch black.

Lucky's Tale looked good to me, butI think its because the cartoon style works much better for the low resolution. Eve Valkyrie and Project cars both look incredibly blurry and distracting, especially the menus in project cars. It is hard to read any of the text. Virtual desktop is also nearly impossible to read for me unless I zoom way into it.

I'm hoping I just have a miscalibration somewhere, but I have spent at least a few hours trying different camera, lens, and headset positions. Anyone else feeling the same? Perhaps I like my hype get the best of me and built up unreasonable expectations. I don't wear glass, and my PC has an i7 4790k and a 970.

Venfayth

I'm hoping I just have a miscalibration somewhere, but I have spent at least a few hours trying different camera, lens, and headset positions. Anyone else feeling the same? Perhaps I like my hype get the best of me and built up unreasonable expectations. I don't wear glass, and my PC has an i7 4790k and a 970.

The whole experience for me has been a bit blurrier than I expected also. It is a little disappointing in that way.

If stuff is blurry up close like the cockpits then you probably aren't wearing it right.

Move it up and down on your head to see if that changes focus (before tightening straps).

Foggy

The fov is what it is and there's not much you can do outside of taking off glasses or removing the foam. Personally, I'm disappointed with the fov up until the point I start a game I enjoy. I can confidently say the fov restrictions never even cross my mind when playing the better games. It's not even that magical sense of "presence" which hasn't been there for me 100%. I just have to be engaged and once I'm invested, the fov limitation is an after thought. Maybe it's a matter of games forcing you to focus on any given thing as opposed to games where you naturally want your eyes to wander. That's just my experience though. It's also probably another reason why hand-tracking aids immersion so well since it naturally tells you to focus more on what's in front of you.

I see so it's normal then? The sweet spot sure is sweet. So to turn off the rift while it's plugged in you just exit the oculus home app?

I've only tried the oculus dreamdeck for like 3hrs demos and something on the store called lost. Played no games yet heh. For some reason there's no sound when using steam vr.

I'm downloading a HL2 mod . It's just some of the locations re-done in UE4.

Regarding the artefacts, why did they choose fresnel lenses, does it he any benefits over other types of lenses?
It's normal. This first generation of VR headsets have very limited resolution, and this is what remains of the screendoor effect. It's due to the subpixel layout of the panel, which is a diamond pattern.

They chose Fresnel because you can make them thinner and lighter, they could create a hybrid shape that allows for more of the pixels of the displays to be used, while having some adjustment for focal length. The ridge distances were probably configured for best SDE reduction too. There are tradeoffs between a number of different optical problems, and ultimately they decided this was the best solution at this stage.

Venfayth

If stuff is blurry up close like the cockpits then you probably aren't wearing it right.

Yeah, I tried moving it up and down to find the "sweet" spots people have mentioned. I definitely know it could be blurrier, it's mostly just that I never get a crisp image even when it seems like I'm perfectly in the sweet spot.

It doesn't help that I have glasses.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Keep in mind the front of the Rift can be tilted up and down. That may help with some people in getting the sweet spot right.

LaneDS

I successfully played three whole minutes of Subnautica in VR before I quit like a baby!

I'm shocked how well that VR mode works considering how unoptimized the game felt a little over a month back when I bought it. Shame it is my biggest fears realized in game form, but aside from that, seems awesome.

Also checked out Doom in VR based on the recommendations here and that was pretty neat. Crazy that I wanted to do things like reload and was surprised that I could duck and jump. Found myself going for needless things like head shots as well.

fwpx

Rift arrives tomorrow! Is there a good roller coaster out for the consumer model? Those are usually a hit with people.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
So, Dark Souls 3 in first person, in VR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUGZW2x-hhw

Awesome and terrifying at the same time. And then there's the nausea. Oh God. I wouldn't try that.

That would make me nauseous quick with how fast he's running. Also, there is no positional tracking of the head, only rotation. At one point he leans in to look at a tombstone and he's in game head doesn't follow his movements. That would make things even worse.

Peterthumpa

That would make me nauseous quick with how fast he's running. Also, there is no positional tracking of the head, only rotation. At one point he leans in to look at a tombstone and he's in game head doesn't follow his movements. That would make things even worse.

Must be something he forgot to setup correctly though, as Vorpx has positional tracking for all 3D games it supports.

vermadas

Best roller coaster stuff right now is definitely No Limits 2... ...The asking price of $39.99 is a bit steep though, especially if you're not interested in the creation aspect. And they haven't updated their demo with VR support so you can't try before you buy either.

Unconfirmed, but their demo may have been updated with Oculus VR support?

Also, Assetto Corsa has been updated with "pre-alpha" Rift support. Initial reports I've read say that the scaling is completely fucked right now though. The game is also on sale for 40% off ($27 in USD).

Must be something he forgot to setup correctly though, as Vorpx has positional tracking for all 3D games it supports.

I don't think Dark Souls 3 is officially supported by vorpX yet. When I was messing with it, I copied the settings from the Dark Souls 2 config and was able to get 3D, but it still defaults to cinema mode.

http://imgur.com/a/pKUDD

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4jxvf8/we_received_our_oculus_touch_development_kit/

gG1hioK.jpg

Oculus Touch Dev Kits are going out.

The packaging basically looks like retail without the sleeve at this point. I hope that's a good sign that these things are sooner in H2 rather than later.

vermadas

What's the word on Dirt Rally? They planned but delayed 1.3 sdk support?

They announced support coming in the next patch. Then came back a few days later and said that it was holding the patch back, so they're taking it out and it will come in the next next patch instead. Yeah, sucks.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Also, Assetto Corsa has been updated with "pre-alpha" Rift support. Initial reports I've read say that the scaling is completely fucked right now though. The game is also on sale for 40% off ($27 in USD).

Which would ultimately be the better driving sim once VR support is properly implemented, Assetto or Project Cars?

Looks like we've learned nothing from the events of the past 2 months.

Chooo chooo! Here comes the disappointment train!

For shipping expectations? Totally. But if the Touch matches the quality of the Rift, I'm on board.

I am still amazed at how easy everything is and how awesome it is to use. After the DK2 I was wondering where this would be on the usability scale.

Installing and jumping into a game on the Rift was easier than the Steam Controller.

Shit, the XB1 controller was my only "hitch" during install (wouldn't pair).

I think Touch is going to be amazing.

vermadas

Which would ultimately be the better driving sim once VR support is properly implemented, Assetto or Project Cars?

That's a question I was considering asking. Coming from a mostly arcade racer background, I don't care as much about the authenticity of the simulation, but I hear AC trumps pCars in that area. pCars supposedly wins in the visual department, but considering how much you have to dial back the effects in pCars I don't see it as much of an advantage in VR. Optimization would be more important.

How is the career mode in AC compared to pCars and Forza? Anyone have experience with both?

How does AC perform? I hope it performs better and has better image quality in VR than Project Cars. It's fun and immersive but damn is the aliasing terrible in that game.

That's a question I was considering asking. Coming from a mostly arcade racer background, I don't care as much about the authenticity of the simulation, but I hear AC trumps pCars in that area. pCars supposedly wins in the visual department, but considering how much you have to dial back the effects in pCars I don't see it as much of an advantage in VR. Optimization would be more important.

How is the career mode in AC compared to pCars and Forza? Anyone have experience with both?
Both PCARS and Forza 6 have significantly better career modes than AC. I prefer PCARS' career over Forza's too, although they are rather different.

How does AC perform? I hope it performs better and has better image quality in VR than Project Cars. It's fun and immersive but damn is the aliasing terrible in that game.
Better performance, although can take severe hits from dust. Aliasing is less of an issue in AC but it appears to have a softer image overall than PCARS.

gdt

Ok so my Oculus Rift lands here tomorrow (finally!)

I've never experienced VR at all EVER. What are some of the basic cool things I should try first? Games? Experiences/videos? VR desktop stuff? I'll also need cool shit to show off to my family tomorrow. Scary and intense stuff obviously would be awesome.

I've never experience VR at all EVER. What are some of the basic cool things I should try first? Games? Experiences/videos? VR desktop stuff? I'll also need cool shit to show off to my family tomorrow. Scary and intense stuff obviously would be awesome.
Oculus has you covered with Dreamdeck. A few of the scenes are shown as a VR intro when you first set up the headset, but they're all part of Dreamdeck, which you can download from the store. Also get Epic Showdown. Lost and Henry are two short VR films from Oculus. EVE Valkyrie's launch sequence is always impressive if you need a game to demo. Go to Chronicles, and launch the mission 'Esmes III'. Lucky's Tale is a great game, but perhaps not the best to 'demo' to family.

That's all the most compelling free stuff, which is more than enough for your first session tbh.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Oculus has you covered with Dreamdeck. A few of the scenes are shown as a VR intro when you first set up the headset, but they're all part of Dreamdeck, which you can download from the store. Also get Epic Showdown. Lost and Henry are two short VR films from Oculus. EVE Valkyrie's launch sequence is always impressive if you need a game to demo. Go to Chronicles, and launch the mission 'Esmes III'. Lucky's Tale is a great game, but perhaps not the best to 'demo' to family.

That's all the most compelling free stuff, which is more than enough for your first session tbh.

Yeah, with my Rift coming in Friday I'm gonna need to start building a library as well...ideally that isn't just flight/space sims.

Is there any website that gives a decently updated list of upcoming Rift-enabled or Rift-exclusive titles? I know Edge of Nowhere is in 2 or 3 weeks, but beyond that it gets really blurry.

JambiBum

For people who have blurry images, make sure to not only adjust the tilt of your HMD but also use the IPD slider on the bottom side of the rift. This changes the distance between the lenses and I don't see many people mentioning that they adjusted it. I don't have any problems with blurriness at all so when I see people mention that their picture is blurry I just assume that their rift isn't adjusted properly for their eyesight.

Just got it! But damn it I need two HDMI slots on my graphics card and it has one. Now I need to buy an adapter. Would have loved to know this before hand

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
For people who have blurry images, make sure to not only adjust the tilt of your HMD but also use the IPD slider on the bottom side of the rift. This changes the distance between the lenses and I don't see many people mentioning that they adjusted it. I don't have any problems with blurriness at all so when I see people mention that their picture is blurry I just assume that their rift isn't adjusted properly for their eyesight.

if you hit home I think there's a thing on the left (?) that allows you to see two green lines and you can adjust and play until they are clear to get it right. Makes knowing where the right adjustment is much easier than trying to do with moving content

Just got it! But damn it I need two HDMI slots on my graphics card and it has one. Now I need to buy an adapter. Would have loved to know this before hand

DVI to HDMI adapter or DisplayPort to HDMI adapter. I've had better luck with a DVI to HDMI adapter. I'd use the adapter on the monitor display just to keep it out of the VR equation.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Your graphics card didn't come with adapters? I thought most modern ones did.
My 980 came with a dvi>hdmi and a display port>hdmi adapter.

The fact that the headset uses HDMI is common knowledge though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Got a shipment notice earlier today saying my rift will be delivered on Friday. Just got an email from them saying it is coming tomorrow! Checked the email and it still says Friday. Check the time...6 minutes past midnight so it's Thursday already.

You buggers

tenchir

I am playing Lucky's Tale, Eve Valkyrie, and Blazerush right now. I think the next game I will buy is Edge of Tomorrow that's coming out in 2-3 weeks. I am disappointed that there isn't that many full games out right now in either SteamVR or Home. I'm not interested in The Climb, Project Cars, and Chronos.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Sorry if it's offtopic, but has anyone gotten a DK2 to work on a Radeon HD 6870? I heard you could still play some of the new experiences on the DK2 but it refuses to work on my desktop despite working before. Something about updating the drivers (they are up to date). The earliest I'll get a CV1 + new computer is next year, and I just need a taste of VR.

AgeEighty

I'm trying to use SteamVR with my Rift, and I'm running the Portal tutorial, but what is the "System Button" on the Xbox One controller? Pressing the Xbox button just opens the Oculus Home menu. I've read online that the Back button should function as the SteamVR System Button, but that doesn't work.

Anyone else's PC take longer to boot after installing the rift software and so on?

Is there a way to remove the ' your PC doesn't meet rift's requirements message' on the oculus home software?

Also, when you play a game and you're downloading something throug oculus home, the download pauses. Is there a way around this?

Peterthumpa

I am playing Lucky's Tale, Eve Valkyrie, and Blazerush right now. I think the next game I will buy is Edge of Tomorrow that's coming out in 2-3 weeks. I am disappointed that there isn't that many full games out right now in either SteamVR or Home. I'm not interested in The Climb, Project Cars, and Chronos.

You should. Trust me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom